Originally Posted by catav
So, Byte, what do you think your next upgrade in PJ will be? Are you going to wait out for a reasonably priced JVC laser or the next better contrasted bulb release?
Thats a loaded question. I wish I knew where to go from here.
Any step forward on a journey to replace my current projector, would have to be triggered by some point of dissatisfaction, as was the case with my old Sony 90es which lacked lens memory functions.
I currently have few points of dissatisfaction with the x990. The SDR 1080 reproduction is outstanding. The HDR 4k reproduction, while compromised as far as on board HDR management tools, does benefit from an ever growing range of satisfactory alternative HDR tone mapping solutions.
I have considered, if I found the right circumstance to sell my x990 and get something different, would I do it?
To answer that, what aspects of performance do I want to improve?
- on off contrast... one of the most endearing attributes of the x990, is native contrast sufficient to permit disabling the DI, while still maintaining an outstanding viewing experience.
- lumen output... next on my wishlist after superior native contrast, would be a significant increase in available calibrated lumens.
- expanded P3 and 2020 color space... I find this consideration less of an issue, but more would be better.
- 4k resolution... like color performance, more would be better, but I have been satisfied with the eshift 5.
- cost... I have a hard time giving the more costly current alternatives serious consideration. But I understand that is MY self imposed burden and I can appreciate others with a different perspective.
I do agree a new laser alternative would be very interesting, but only at a competitive price.
This reply may not help, but let me say, there really is no wrong decision. I do not feel like less of an HT enthusiast because I have a last generation projector. I believe we are all quite fortunate with our current circumstances.
In that spirit may I wish Happy Holidays to ALL.