Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31674Likes

post #1861 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
I disagree. No doubt a small subset of extremely picky owners, the type who will pay $5k+ usd more for a model that JVC is only making 20 of, worldwide, or will hang on to "golden" previous gen, have valid opinions. That is hardly a sweeping indictment of the entire refresh, though

If you broaden it a bit - and I submit that even 540 owners, who plopped down $5k or so for the projector, are still a niche market - it's a decent refresh. Game changer? No. Worth going to from the last x20 refresh which wasn't even a full calendar year ago? Maybe not. Not a failure though by a long shot.

Everyone seems to want the 4500... only with this tweak or that... and at a 6-7k price point. And that day will come in a few years....at which point something better will be along. Perspective. Plenty of older JVC owners out there who would consider this refresh a major step up. Myself being one example.
Perhaps you are correct, but I think this chassis should have been replace for 2018. They have been tinkering with minor improvements for quite a few years with this form factor. IMO they have been milking it. The RS4500 light engine, with reduced output, a cheaper lens, e-shift 2k chips retaining the DI, in a baby brother form factor similar but smaller to the RS4500 would be an easy pill to swallow. AT LTD 20 price.

It's time they introduced some excitement in the form of a new chassis.....and internals.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
I disagree. No doubt a small subset of extremely picky owners, the type who will pay $5k+ usd more for a model that JVC is only making 20 of, worldwide, or will hang on to "golden" previous gen, have valid opinions. That is hardly a sweeping indictment of the entire refresh, though

If you broaden it a bit - and I submit that even 540 owners, who plopped down $5k or so for the projector, are still a niche market - it's a decent refresh. Game changer? No. Worth going to from the last x20 refresh which wasn't even a full calendar year ago? Maybe not. Not a failure though by a long shot.

Everyone seems to want the 4500... only with this tweak or that... and at a 6-7k price point. And that day will come in a few years....at which point something better will be along. Perspective. Plenty of older JVC owners out there who would consider this refresh a major step up. Myself being one example.
So having owned/tested most of the models and the Z1 and many others doesn't qualify as a valid opinion, fine. Please state why yours is

Going from a stunningly sharp image to a smudgy one would make no sense to anyone IMO but what do I know.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #1863 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Perhaps you are correct, but I think this chassis should have been replace for 2018. They have been tinkering with minor improvements for quite a few years with this form factor. IMO they have been milking it. The RS4500 light engine, with reduced output, a cheaper lens, e-shift 2k chips retaining the DI, in a baby brother form factor similar but smaller to the RS4500 would be an easy pill to swallow. AT LTD 20 price.

It's time they introduced some excitement in the form of a new chassis.....and internals.
There' the match point. This gen is now just one step too far especially after making big claims about eshift 5.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Wow...this refresh is getting a bad rap!

There is a positive though, it will force JVC to step up. Replace these long in the tooth models please.
...and this just shows we have no brand loyalty, we are not biased etc... we tell as is full stop
woofer and Highjinx like this.

post #1865 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
So having owned/tested most of the models and the Z1 and many others doesn't qualify as a valid opinion, fine. Please state why yours is

Going from a stunningly sharp image to a smudgy one would make no sense to anyone IMO but what do I know.
I don't understand your quote, first of all. I said "valid opinion" and I meant it. How you turned that around to "not valid" I can't get my head around.

Just pointing out that calling this refresh a failure is, at the very least, in the eye of the beholder. If you want to take it personally all I can say is I didn't mean it that way but feel what you are going to feel, it's the internet and I ran out of patience long ago arguing with different opinions
post #1866 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't understand your quote, first of all. I said "valid opinion" and I meant it. How you turned that around to "not valid" I can't get my head around.

Just pointing out that calling this refresh a failure is, at the very least, in the eye of the beholder. If you want to take it personally all I can say is I didn't mean it that way but feel what you are going to feel, it's the internet and I ran out of patience long ago arguing with different opinions
My bad I misread it on the phone

post #1867 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Quoted: 6933 Post(s)
Liked: 6640
Quote:

Who better to judge a refresh than those with the previous gen units on the very same shelf?

Lets say you have model A, you skipped model B but model B made a step forward. Model C comes and makes a step forward but two steps back in other areas. Those with Model A upgrade to model C and think its better but in reality its gone backwards, get what I mean?

I think your post back up the page came off a little odd and seemed to read the wrong way is all.

Most of the people I have read who have these new units dont have the previous gen in the same room to compare them. Projector honeymoon is a helluva thing.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1868 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Who better to judge a refresh than those with the previous gen units on the very same shelf?

Lets say you have model A, you skipped model B but model B made a step forward. Model C comes and makes a step forward but two steps back in other areas. Those with Model A upgrade to model C and think its better but in reality its gone backwards, get what I mean?

I think your post back up the page came off a little odd and seemed to read the wrong way is all.

Most of the people I have read who have these new units dont have the previous gen in the same room to compare them. Projector honeymoon is a helluva thing.
Javs,

By itself if not compared to the x7500 is it still close to a Sony 4k unit in terms of sharpness, I mean. I am thinking of upgrading from the rs4910 and I can't get a hold of x7000 or the x7500 in my country for now. I want to move to a HDR capable model.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
post #1869 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
There' the match point. This gen is now just one step too far especially after making big claims about eshift 5.
i believe JVC said eshift 5 helped with fine detail and text , which in a previous in depth review of the RS400 from projector
reviews they said text is where the differences were most noticeable between native 4K and eshift 4 so i think JVC aimed to move the needle closer to 4K by focusing on this aspect of the image. just my opinion of course as a owner of the RS540 i can see a detail upgrade , dramatic ? no but then again the difference in detail between native and the previous eshift 4 isn't that dramatic

bellow are 2 screen shots from their review comparing the RS400 with the Sony 665ES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DLA-RS400_4K_martian_computer.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2311924   Click image for larger version

Name:	VPL-VW665ES_4K_martian_communication.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	2311926  

Last edited by Macroblocker; 11-08-2017 at 03:23 AM.
post #1870 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

This is a fair point and it wasn't my intention to try and devalue it.

More so that not everyone is in this (your) position. Very few are. If you are coming from 2, 3, or 4+ JVC generations back you are going to look at this generation differently. Which makes calling it a complete failure (the point I was responding to) a little broad, from my perspective. If you are looking for a new PJ and you can't (or don't want to) get the last 1 or two generations at a steal price-wise there's no reason for all but the most demanding to avoid it is all I mean. No doubt for some lucky few a last-gen "golden" sample holds up better than a new-gen "regular" sample but that is playing the odds.

If anything, I think that the x40 series points to a flaw in JVCs "same parts, but hand-picked and thus worth a 5 figure premium" pricing strategy for the two top-tier models (for all but 20 people, one top-tier model in the E-Shift line ). I could have easily afforded a 640 but based in a large part on this thread went for the 540 because I'm not willing to deal with the level of testing, shipping, and exchanges getting a true "golden" sample seems to entail. That said I am very, very happy with the 540 coming from a previous gen JVC.
post #1871 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
i believe JVC said eshift 5 helped with fine detail and text , which in a previous in depth review of the RS400 from projector
reviews they said text is where the differences were most noticeable between native 4K and eshift 4 so i think JVC aimed to move the needle closer to 4K by focusing on this aspect of the image. just my opinion of course as a owner of the RS540 i can see a detail upgrade , dramatic ? no but then again the difference in detail between native and the previous eshift 4 isn't that dramatic

bellow are 2 screen shots from their review comparing the RS400 with the Sony 665ES
As I have mentioned I can clearly see the improvement on text and patterns but it has the opposite effect on content, it looks definitely softer then version 4. we are not looking at text when watching a movie.
Mikenificent1 likes this.

post #1872 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Man, for years now I'm wanting to get a new projector. And every year there's this notion there's going to be something around that next corner.

All projectors out right now are compromises. The VW760ES is the first one that really checks all the boxes, but is the additional cost really worth it?

I would buy the X7900 for a little less than half the price of the VW760ES here in Europe with discounted prices. But then I'll be stuck with a lamp I'll have to replace often and the HDMI sync times I really fear them and the impact they'll have on the experience.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #1873 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Man, for years now I'm wanting to get a new projector. And every year there's this notion there's going to be something around that next corner.

All projectors out right now are compromises. The VW760ES is the first one that really checks all the boxes, but is the additional cost really worth it?

I would buy the X7900 for a little less than half the price of the VW760ES here in Europe with discounted prices. But then I'll be stuck with a lamp I'll have to replace often and the HDMI sync times I really fear them and the impact they'll have on the experience.
Correction... All projectors out right now include compromises, including aspects which are not perfect and/or where there is room for improvement... including the VW760ES.

And there will always be something better around the corner...

Bandyka likes this.
post #1874 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:

just buy in, can?t keep waiting for next best thing. As will always be next best thing. Jvc just looks like doing small incremental updates now days in any case. So yeah I wouldn?t hesitate at any stage
ARROW-AV likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #1875 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Neither the 9500 nor 9900 units here have any noticeable bright corners even with full field signals... But that's these particular units... I believe that the bright corners is an inter-unit variance and not inter-model... which makes sense given it is my understanding that the hardware is the same.

CMD functionality is definitely different with respect to both LOW and HIGH settings with the new models as compared with last years. JVC has not only cured the posterization issue but also tweaked CMD's functionality and in a good way... IMO the HIGH setting on the 9500/620s and 7500/520s isn't even usable, the LOW setting is and is OK, but isn't brilliant. IMO the LOW setting is improved as compared with previously and the HIGH setting is now the nuts. I tested both settings using all kinds of motion torture tests, both motion pattern generators as well as content such as the opening scene of X-Men: Apocalypse where the camera pans over the crowds etc. which is a nightmare as far as judder and motion blur is concerned; but with the 9900 and CMD set to HIGH I've never seen it looking so good. I demonstrated the difference to @Bandyka whilst he visited today (great to meet him finally after conversing with him on forums for years!) so I am sure that he will chime in with his two cents, but suffice to say he agreed with CMD set to HIGH the 9900/640 was perfectly super-smooth with absolutely zero motion blur. The LOW setting on the 9900/640 seems to me to be smoother motion as compared with the 9500/620, albeit with a less strong motion-blur reduction as compared with the 'new' HIGH setting, but with what I consider to be the right balance for a LOW setting. So IMO both settings are now highly usable and are now optimized for their intended purpose. I personally was not a fan of CMD previously at all really, and hence typically left it turned off, now I love it. That said however, CMD has always been a matter of personal preference and I am sure that there will still be folks who don't like it, but one thing's for sure, it's now doing a much better job of what it's supposed to be doing and does so now seemingly without screwing up the image, so it get's a double thumbs up from me!

Nice to see CMD is finaly working
BUT, is this as good on 7900 than on the 9900 ?
post #1876 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
@Bandyka did you get to view the Z1 when at ARROWS.....
Quote:
I did ask him and since I will be visiting the neighborhood often I would like to see his 760ES and the Z1 if he kindly lets me.
It was a pleasure having you visit @Bandyka . As mentioned we will be receiving delivery of our Sony 760/885ES units in only 3 weeks time, so if you are up for a second round of projector scrutiny I can setup a direct comparison for you between all of JVC Z1/RS4500, Sony 760/885ES, and JVC X9900/RS640 and/or JVC X9500/RS620.

I would certainly be very interested to hear your opinions on everything

post #1877 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flay008 View Post
Nice to see CMD is finaly working
BUT, is this as good on 7900 than on the 9900 ?
Well, how about we set one up alongside a 7500, and 9500 and 9900 and see?

RapalloAV likes this.
post #1878 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
It was a pleasure having you visit @Bandyka . As mentioned we will be receiving delivery of our Sony 760/885ES units in only 3 weeks time, so if you are up for a second round of projector scrutiny I can setup a direct comparison for you between all of JVC Z1/RS4500, Sony 760/885ES, and JVC X9900/RS640 and/or JVC X9500/RS620.

I would certainly be very interested to hear your opinions on everything

Does the 9500 used in the comparison have the CMD fix? Thanks for all this work, I’m about to pull the trigger and trying to decide between an RS520 and RS540.
post #1879 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I in all good faith paid for 1/5th more to mitigate the Projector lottery.

I can't believe we are absolutely parsing the fact that now eshift 4 is possibly sharper than e shift 5 on video content not xls docs

My full black, under signal uniformity (bright corners etc) is less than stellar but the center is decent, I feel this is fairly common.

If there were no changes to the optical block, I submit right now that JVC offer eshift 4 firmware with the old algorithm for the 990/640

I feel like I wasted ~1800.00 dollars for marketing and a step in the wrong direction.

I would have anyone interested hold off until Javs hears back on his "advanced replacement" which sounds painful.

More critical reviews of the eShift 4-5 comparison are needed to see if it negates the advantage provided by good convergence and lens MTF, assuming you are lucky enough to get one that is hand picked properly.

I also paid this money to have DI in HDR, I must say I never saw pumping on my 4910u, where I see it now, both modes. Great..

Another improvement, disallowing previous meters that worked in the past for Autocal? Do they have a deal with Datacolor? Why remove the old ones, just say "for best results use...."

JVC needs a SME/ engineer/ rep in this thread to collect these take always from all of us, as we are the core base.

I would advise no 20LTDs be purchased, if they can't get these issues resolved. 200000:1 in the center of the image, maybe.

There I wrote it, I did not want to see it in text because it real now, I am bummed when I should be floored. I wish I bought a left over or B stock because I feel like I have been duped.

I am a 20 year vet in this hobby, I work in the industry for a Fortune 50, so I hope that backs up some of my comments with the context of my experience.

TJ

please contact me via emai

[email protected]
woofer, Mikenificent1, Toe and 2 others like this.

Last edited by tehotaone; 11-08-2017 at 07:00 AM.
post #1880 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Well, how about we set one up alongside a 7500, and 9500 and 9900 and see?

Nice
Not That I am in hurry, my theater won't be finish before March/April, as it is build from the ground and fundament will only be ready at the end of the month ...

BUT ! I NEED TO KNOOOOWWWW

My Criteria are in that spesific order :

1. MOTION
2. Black Level
3. Sharpness
post #1881 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Definitely disappointed to hear eshift 5 is actually a downgrade when it comes to video content. Any reason JVC couldn't include more than one version of eshift to choose from? Would be great to have BOTH eshift 4 and 5 to choose from depending on what your doing (sounds like text is better with 5). I dont know enough about how eshift works though so not sure if this would be a relatively easy thing to give us via firmware.
post #1882 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 AM
We're Nuts About AV

IMO @Javs and @Bandyka are correct regarding eShift-4 vs eShift-5 with respect to it being a mixed bag and not living up to the marketing claims. However, I think it is important to point out that the differences we are talking about here are slight, and by no means considerable... in fact, I would wager that the vast majority of people would not even be able to tell the difference... especially given that the differences to which we are referring are only really noticeable when scrutinizing back-to-back comparisons of perfectly aligned projectors, where @Javs I think you are right in saying:
Quote:
Eshift 4 vs Eshift 5. I can barely see the difference when I use screenshot rollover comparison...
So I think this is more a case of being disappointed that eShift-5 is not a significant improvement over eShift-4, but more a case of a tweak that is one step forwards, one step back, and one step sideways... and hence in itself I don't think is worth trading in a X9500/620RS for a X9900/640RS. However, regarding the perceived negative of eShift-5 comparatively being softer, I feel the need to stress that this is only a slight difference, it's hardly noticeable, and most people would properly not even know that there even is a difference. Also, it is worth noting that these observations have been made with respect to static freeze frame images and not with respect to moving video content, so differences in motion performance, including motion blur and judder won't have been factored into the equation... Plus with respect to the differing HDR performance, I only had time to properly align the projector units and calibrate SDR prior to @Bandyka's 's visit. So the jury is still out regarding this as far as I am concerned. Where with respect to the SDR comparisons my takeaway was that the respective video performances were/are practically identical, where in fact @Bandyka had to ask a number of times which was which when I was flipping between the two, because by no means was it at all obvious. And it's worth mentioning that prior to @Bandyka 's visit I actually had both projectors operating simultanously with a split screen, one projector producing the left side of the screen and the other the right side, and seriously with playback of video content both sides of the screen looked pretty much identical. So whilst I share their disappointment with respect to eShift-5 not living up to the marketing claims this does not mean that the X9900/RS640 is significantly worse as compared with the X9500/RS640, it's more a case that it's quite simply not much different. Furthermore, there are a number of tweaks that are very welcome enhancements, such as the the CMD improvements/fixes and the Dynamic Iris now functioning with HDR.

I'm going to do some more testing and evaluating shortly, particularly comparing the comparative video performances with respect to actual playback of video content with the projectors setup to perform optimally in their own right including motion enhancement, and including calibrated and matched HDR performances, plus I will be taking measurements and photos. I am thinking that the comparatively less motion blur and judder might balance out the slightly softer eShift-5... I will be sure to post on here my findings.

Highjinx and RapalloAV like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 11-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.
post #1883 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

JVC needs the define what a good set of operational metrics are for an avg off the line 790.

The hand selected item should come with a handwritten QC with the physically tested and quantifiable difference you are getting for
your money, based on the expectations they are setting.

How can we say that any concessions need to be made on a premium handselected upgrade!

I pay the money for the extra performance, because I have the meter, binoculars, absolute fabric covered cave.
My room, attention and devotion to the result is why I did.

They are just printing money with no oversight otherwise. They bank on the higher the cost the less hands on and comparative the owners are sometimes.

Remember we drive the market, so with PJs being a very small segment of the population and higher end, hand-selected, high cost being practically a blip on a P an L, they should cater to it.

But if we lay down and fork over the money, we are buying perceived value that may not actually be perceivable.

Never mind Eshift 4-5 improvements-downgrades, accepted non-uniformity as a brand characteristic?

If we keep buying, they don't have to do any of this. They simply get the pure margin of another PJ sale every 3-4 depending on their initial margins.

TJ

[email protected]
RonF, Highjinx and Javs like this.

Last edited by tehotaone; 11-08-2017 at 07:44 AM.
post #1884 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
All projector/electronic devises have glitches. Its all about picking the glitch you can live with. I have never seen a devise on AVS that was not glitches to some degree......
Bytehoven likes this.
post #1885 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Too bad many was not informed correctly of the past eshift models. Eshift can be hit or miss with how it can be improved. Look at eshift 1 compared to eshift 2. Not sure why so many are disappointed. Basically software updates that were already obtainable. You save $200 for not having a linker but nothing else really.
post #1886 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:

Just grab a used JVC and enjoy some movies. The sync times has never been a concern for me. I just have to wait 10 secs for the menu to show. Too many excellent 2k bd and uhd bd movies available to wait any longer.
brazensol likes this.
post #1887 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Despite the negatives on the forum, very happy here!

I upgraded from a 5 year old LG Lcos and despite the negatives here, my 640 just rocks.

1. Panel alignment on 3/4 of the mid viewing area was 1 click either way, the rest is perhaps a 1/2 click off in some margins, but overall excellent.

2. No bright corners.

3. Lens is tack sharp to my 65 year old eyes at 10ft.

Basically I have no complaints at all. BluRays using Javs Madvr settings are spectacular to the point of wondering if the purchase of some 4k discs is even worth it. The level of sharpness and detail is strikingly better than what I had experienced in the past. Now, if you were coming from a previous x00, or x20 gen, then you have different expectations for a new model given that a new one will cost you, and that financial delta is inflicting buyers remorse for some.

Not me. So for those who are sitting on the fence with really old tech, don't sweat it, pull the trigger....just my two cents of reality.
Ix, Tom Bley, mskreis and 13 others like this.

JVC RS-640 | Stewart Ultramatte 150 114" 16:9 | James Loudspeakers fronts (603BE, 8.2 SDX) and surrounds (8.2 SDX), Ceiliing Proficient Audio, SVS PB-10 | Denon 4300H | Sherwood A-965 Power Amp | Oppo 203 | FlexRaid Server| CQC Home Automation
post #1888 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Its a real shame then about e-shift 5 being softer, I dont want softer. My 9500 is exceptionally sharp, looks like I may as well keep it!
I liked the idea of the new better motion with CMD, the banding issue resolved, but I dont want a softer image to get sharper text.
My feelings exactly. I don't see how JVC could have seen this as a good play? To me e5 was all marketing hype. I get that all projectors have their pro's and cons. I've been playing projector roulette long enough to know. But when new models take steps backwards; that's a little frustrating to previous gen owners.

I'd really love for JVC to come on here an quantify what constitutes a "hand picked" part, and which parts are hand picked. I'd also like to know how they determine how much better said parts are than their counterparts to qualify.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
post #1889 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what no Bright corners means to everyone?

I have a room without a single led, the projector is in a soffit so even that led can't effect anything.

Duvetene on walls and ceiling, black carpet and chairs.

Using hide or a black 0ire, then letting my eyes adjust I look at the image.

It is not uniform brightness on my 990

I will do a long exposure with My canon / l glass on 50 ISO to show what I mean.

I understand the law of financial returns in this but to take back steps is not acceptable.

It is also a matter of the discrepancy of visual and auditory acuity between members.

I have come to expect very high standards from the line, and don't get me wrong it is a great image, just no perceivable

difference under the best conditions over a non "hand-picked" unit.

The 1800 doesn't hurt me in any way, other than I wanted to see it on the screen.

Eshift 5 was to sample all of the pixels in the image to shift with, it would seem text is improved, but fine detail is lost?

We need back to back sharp pics of 4 to 5 on a Zone plate to get a handle on that.
post #1890 of 12735 Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 8433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

Just as the difference between an eshift4 or 5 picture isn't dramatically different from a Sony native 4K picture. There are subtle improvements / difference's at best. Now, folks just upgrading from RS1's will find dramatic improvements. But they waited 9 generations to upgrade !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page