-NEW Web Projector Calculator- NEW Release 2.45 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Features Planned Farther into the Future

Horizontal Lens Shift
I will be adding a Horizontal Lens Shift Slider that will automatically restrict your Vertical Shift in accordance to how much H-shift you use. Hence, I am going to keep this simple to use, so it will be a slider under the V-shift, you will just slide how many inches to the left or right of center.
Your projector calculator is great! The main addition I'd like to see is the horizontal lens shift slider. I've been referring other people that are looking at projectors to your site to compare different models. Thanks for all the effort you've put into this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 04-28-2018, 10:04 AM

@coderguy

I just noticed there is an error in how the calculator figures the amount of vertical lens shift for screens that aren't 16:9.

The amount of shift that a projector is given as a percent of the height of the 16:9 image projected (94% for the Epson 5040UB). Your calculator is using the actual screen height based on the aspect ratio of the screen.

So for a 120" wide image from the 5040UB:

For a 16:9 screen the image is 120" x 67". The amount of vertical lens shift is 94% of 67" which equals 63" plus or minus from the center of the screen. The projector can shift the image this much regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

However, when you go with a 120" 2.39:1 screen - 120" x 50" the calculator says you can only shift the image 47" from the center of the screen (50" x .94).

The calculator is great, I hope you can get this fixed in the next revision!
post #33 of 40 Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyotule View Post
@coderguy

However, when you go with a 120" 2.39:1 screen - 120" x 50" the calculator says you can only shift the image 47" from the center of the screen (50" x .94).

The calculator is great, I hope you can get this fixed in the next revision!
What you are missing is that the calculator is calculating it for simultaneous use of 16:9 on the CIH screen using lens memory, rather than just calculating it for ONLY 2.35-2.40 use on the CIH screen. So the lens shift becomes limited by the constraints of how the 16:9 image relates to the CIH screen, not just the CIH image by itself. You are correct if you always use 2.39 mode and never switch back to 16:9, but in your example, the amount of lens shift fails with lens memory, because lens memory is more restrictive.

That is why the calculator calls it 2.35 (Lens Memory) rather than just 2.35, since lens memory means the ability to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35.
Since most people using the calculator would not understand all these details, I decided to remove the option of ONLY using 2.35 (non lens memory), because so few people are watching stuff only using 2.35 aspects, many people will end up shrinking back down to 16:9 for other movies.

Therefore, it's not incorrect, and also this has been checked by multiple engineers and dealers over time (not just me).

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What you are missing is that the calculator is calculating it for simultaneous use of 16:9 on the CIH screen using lens memory, rather than just calculating it for ONLY 2.35-2.40 use on the CIH screen. So the lens shift becomes limited by the constraints of how the 16:9 image relates to the CIH screen, not just the CIH image by itself. You are correct if you always use 2.39 mode and never switch back to 16:9, but in your example, the amount of lens shift fails with lens memory, because lens memory is more restrictive.

That is why the calculator calls it 2.35 (Lens Memory) rather than just 2.35, since lens memory means the ability to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35.
Since most people using the calculator would not understand all these details, I decided to remove the option of ONLY using 2.35 (non lens memory), because so few people are watching stuff only using 2.35 aspects, many people will end up shrinking back down to 16:9 for other movies.

Therefore, it's not incorrect, and also this has been checked by multiple engineers and dealers over time (not just me).

Ahh, yes you are correct! Thank you for the explanation. I should have remembered this from setting up my own screen. I was trying to help someone else in the 5040UB thread. Time to go back and make sure they get things set up correctly.
post #35 of 40 Old 06-17-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Hi, thanks for this tool. One question though, is 'Ceiling' vs 'Shelf' Mounting Location actually implemented? I'm playing with parameters for a Benq HT2050 and it seems to show only ceiling-mount values (projector/image inverted) even if I select 'Shelf'. I'd like to see what the results of different distances/screen heights from floor are, using 'shelf' ( projector/image not inverted).

Last edited by krabapple; 06-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #36 of 40 Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a 120" 2.35 screen and an anamorphic lens on my projector. I noticed that when selecting the screen type, I can only choose 2.35 (lens memory) vs anamorphic lens. When I select lens memory, it reduces the ft-l from a 16:9 screen of the same size. This makes sense for lens memory, but is not correct for external lens. Without being able to select an external lens, I'm guessing the correct procedure would be to select a 110" 16:9 screen which has the same ft^2 as my 120" 2.35 screen. This won't include any losses from the lens, but I would think is close. Thoughts?
post #37 of 40 Old 01-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

Been using your web calculator to install my Optoma UHD50 on a 106 inches 16:9 screen . The calculator indicate that i need a 4 inch mounting pole and that the top of the screen should be 7 inches from the Ceiling and 2,7 feet from the floor with a lens offset of 0.1 inch.

I am using a perless PRG-UNV mount on the projector. Do i need to factor in the height of the peerless mount to find the proper mounting pole lenght in order to achieve 4 inches from the ceiling ?? Because if so i would have to attach the peerless directly to the ceiling so the projector fall 4 inches from ceiling otherwise the projected image is too low and i cannot get it to display 7 inches from top

Am i calculating this the right way

Alain

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
post #38 of 40 Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post
Hi,

Been using your web calculator to install my Optoma UHD50 on a 106 inches 16:9 screen . The calculator indicate that i need a 4 inch mounting pole and that the top of the screen should be 7 inches from the Ceiling and 2,7 feet from the floor with a lens offset of 0.1 inch.

I am using a perless PRG-UNV mount on the projector. Do i need to factor in the height of the peerless mount to find the proper mounting pole lenght in order to achieve 4 inches from the ceiling ?? Because if so i would have to attach the peerless directly to the ceiling so the projector fall 4 inches from ceiling otherwise the projected image is too low and i cannot get it to display 7 inches from top

Am i calculating this the right way

Alain
When you cut it close, you have to take the measurements yourself, the calculator gives you a good general idea.
I would find out the thickness of the base plate of the mount and double check the Optoma manual to be safe.

You can test it out by placing the PJ on a ladder or tall shelf (very very carefully) before actually mounting it.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #39 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
When you cut it close, you have to take the measurements yourself, the calculator gives you a good general idea.
I would find out the thickness of the base plate of the mount and double check the Optoma manual to be safe.

You can test it out by placing the PJ on a ladder or tall shelf (very very carefully) before actually mounting it.

Thanks a lot for the explanation

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
post #40 of 40 Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Asphalt Enthusiast

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thx Coder!

Quote:
Thanks, I will continue to improve it at the beginning of next year.
I have a question about screen gain...I assume we plug in tested gain not advertised? I have a Da-lite HP screen that I don't know the gain (either 2.4 or 2.8.....

Anthem AVM 60, Sherbourn 7/2100, B&K Reference 200.7, Genesis 6.1 LCR's
Axiom QS8 Surrounds, Triad Inceiling Heights, ATMOS 7.1.4
Panasonic DP-UB820 Oppo bdp83 Bluray
Jvc X790R / 540U
Da-Lite Cinema Contour 2.4 Highpower 133"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page