-NEW Web Projector Calculator- NEW Release 2.45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
-NEW Web Projector Calculator- NEW Release 2.45

It has been deployed!

www.webprojectorcalculator.com

Appears to be working ok, let me know if anyone has any feedback...
That was an incredible amount of work to get all those stats in there.

Note that I pasted them all from the MFR as to NOT make any data entry errors,
though the MFR's themselves do have some errors in their specs at times (but it's fairly rare).

ONLY GOOGLE CHROME IS SUPPORTED RIGHT NOW

The other Browsers make the FONTS look too unpleasant, I would have to do too much font work to fix it.

Note:
The only thing I did NOT have time to really do was ENTER all the FAN LOCATION DATA (hence, rear fan, side exhaust, etc...)
That data cannot yet be trusted (most of it can, but not sure which yet). So I'll leave that for a future date, no big deal just verify.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can now change the SAMPLE IMAGE shown on the PROJECTOR screen (pick from about 20 different ones),
because the old image was getting boring.

Change the SAMPLE IMAGE!

Convert between Values Easily (using Convert Tab)

Easy links to Stats and Manuals

**Release Notes for Version 2.45 (11-10-17)**
New Features
--Enhanced the UI and added the ability to pick from over 20 Sample Images to Show on the Screen
--Added the Conversion Routines for the Convert Tab (You can now convert between fL/Nits/Lumens/Lux)
--Added over 50 New Projectors to the Application to bring the total over 175 projectors
--Finished entering the data for all Epson Projectors
--Added the Manuals for most projectors
--Added the Statistics for most projectors
--Replaced various Slider Controls and fixed a few UI Bugs
--The sample image displayed on the Screen now Auto-Rotates every 10 seconds (turn it off under Display Settings)

New Projectors Added
--Acer h5380bd, h6502bd, h6510bd, h6517st, h7550st, h7850, v7850
--Benq ht2150st, w1700(no data yet available), w8000, ht6050, ht8050, i500
--Epson ls9600e, ls10000, ls10500, 5040ub / 6040ub, hc4000, hc4040, hc4500, hc3100, 750HD,760HD
--JVC RS-4500(Z1), RS-420, RS-440, RS-520, RS-540, RS-620, RS-640
--Optoma uhd60, uhd65, uhz65, gt1080Darbee, h29Darbee, gt5500Plus,
--Optoma gt760a, hd142x, IntelliGO_S1
--Sony hw45es, vw285es, vw385es, vw885es

And more...

Minor Revisions
-Finished the beta functionality for the Convergence Tab to do Center-Only Based Convergence
-Added a new Filter to Only Show Projectors that are E-Shift/Shifted 4k (non-native 4k)
-Added Lamp Drop-Off Calculations for Laser and LED Projectors (Assumes 20% every 10,000 Hours, you can change this in the Advanced Tab)
-Added the ability for an Uneven Amount of Center-Based Lens Shift (for PJ's like the Benq w6050/w8000 that have more downward than upward shift)
-Added the ability for a Negative Offset with top mounted projectors (hence 1% below screen instead of above)
-Corrected Lumens values for the Benq w1070 (they were incorrectly set a bit low)
-Corrected Lens Shift Values for Benq ht2050, ht3050, ht4050 (appears a few users incorrectly reported the v-shift)
-Corrected 3D Lumens values for JVC Projectors (they were incorrectly set a bit HIGH)

Bug Fixes:
-Enhanced the precision of the Vertical Shift for top mounted projectors (hence most DLP's)
-Fixed a bug when a User is doing Manual Entry in the Advanced Tab, the Offset and Vshift values were
auto-changing themselves, this was because of a conversion routine
-Fixed a bug where the Lumens to fL calculations were shown incorrectly ONLY WITHOUT FIRST SELECTING a Projector

Reminders of Recent Features in Previous Versions:
CIH (2.35-2.40) Lens Shift Calculations work correctly based on actual LENS MEMORY functionality (16:9 to 2.35 switching)
The metric calculations are available by selecting the option in the bottom right

Features still in Progress
--Beta Version of Seating Calculator
--Product Registration
--User Profiles
--Lamp Tracker Tab
--Calibration Tab (Reports)
--Add Viewsonic Projectors
--Back-End Only (Need to create auto-downloadeder for MFR images - to ensure not to lose images in future)
RickAVManiac, idean, phara and 8 others like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-28-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Still working out a few deployment issues, hopefully ready by tonight...
Any luck deploying?

I'm not seeing the Optoma UHD65 yet, it's still showing Pre-RELEASE V.24.003 on http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/

Or is there a different URL for this version?

Denon AVR-X4300H | Klipsch RB-61/RC-62 LCR | Klipsch R-12sWi | Cambridge MINX MIN 12 Front and Rear Heights
Optoma UHD65 | 103" Seymour AV Center Stage UF AT screen
post #3 of 40 Old 11-16-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

It has been deployed!

The other Browsers make the FONTS look too unpleasant, I would have to do too much font work to fix it.

Note:
The only thing I did NOT have time to really do was ENTER all the FAN LOCATION DATA (hence, rear fan, side exhaust, etc...)
That data cannot yet be trusted (most of it can, but not sure which yet). So I'll leave that for a future date, no big deal just verify.
Tom Bley and Javs like this.

Last edited by coderguy; 11-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
It has been deployed!

Appears to be working ok, let me know if anyone has any feedback...
That was an incredible amount of work to get all those SPECS in there.

Note that I pasted them all from the MFR as to NOT make any data entry errors,
though the MFR's themselves do have some errors in their specs at times (but it's fairly rare).

Note:
Dude this is excellent, well done. Works great on Firefox Quantum here.

Already used this today, and the converters are an amazing touch!
ddigler likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #6 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Dude this is excellent, well done. Works great on Firefox Quantum here.

Already used this today, and the converters are an amazing touch!
Thanks!

The secret is parallel injected arrays functioning in multiple dimensions with shorthand compressed data, that's why the app never has to LOAD anything.
When you use the FILTER dropdown to filter the projectors out, the query is happening on the client side, so no waiting on page loads...

Last edited by coderguy; 11-17-2017 at 07:06 AM.
post #7 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
wow the Projector Calculator is amazing. thank you for all your hard work.
i have a 6" ceiling mount bracket but i dont know if it will work. i was wondering if the vertical lens shift that it display is what my ht2050 is capable of. i want it as close the the ceiling as possible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ht2050.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	2316792  
post #8 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinereef View Post
wow the Projector Calculator is amazing. thank you for all your hard work.
i have a 6" ceiling mount bracket but i dont know if it will work. i was wondering if the vertical lens shift that it display is what my ht2050 is capable of. i want it as close the the ceiling as possible
Thanks for the comments...

There is a MFR tolerance of about +- 5% usually (sometimes a bit higher), but it should give you a general idea.
I cannot promise that I entered ALL LENS SHIFT data perfectly, but I did my best. A lot of the manuals contradict themselves.

I will be double checking it again in December to make sure. I have a real job I have to get back to or I'm going to be using my calculator how to best view an image from under a bridge...

No my jokes don't get better with time...
KramerTC likes this.

post #9 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks for the comments...

There is a MFR tolerance of about +- 5% usually (sometimes a bit higher), but it should give you a general idea.
I cannot promise that I entered ALL LENS SHIFT data perfectly, but I did my best. A lot of the manuals contradict themselves.

I will be double checking it again in December to make sure. I have a real job I have to get back to or I'm going to be using my calculator how to best view an image from under a bridge...

No my jokes don't get better with time...
lol cool thanks
post #10 of 40 Old 11-17-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

A minor change to the calculator:

Best Modes (Low/High) have now been reworded to say "Calibrated (Low).... Calibrated (High)", as I think this makes more sense.
RickAVManiac and Javs like this.

post #11 of 40 Old 11-18-2017, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Right now the only known bugs are:

The Benq w8000 / ht6050 are showing incorrect lens shift values because this PJ has an "uneven" amount of lens shift.
I had fixed the problem, but must have lost the fix when I deployed it.

There is one other issue reported, but I haven't yet finished looking into it.

Last edited by coderguy; 11-18-2017 at 04:18 AM.
post #12 of 40 Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Lens Shift Verified
We verified the functionality of the lens shift, and it is working properly.
That said, I would always recommend to look at the DETAILS tab and to confirm the lens shift by the hard-coded value.
I put the hard-coded value of the lens shift there for a reason, because that one slider control can be slightly temperamental.

Known Issues or Unfinished:

By design --- The projector mount pole length is not perfectly accurate because it PARTLY depends on the thickness of your mount. This would require that I enter a minimum mount thickness for every projector, and this would be quite a lot of work. Even if I went through the trouble, some people use different mounts for different projectors, so it would still NOT always be accurate. Also, the Lens Center to Base distances need revised on some projectors, I will handle that eventually. This doesn't really affect the positioning too much, just keep in mind WHICH mount you pick and how thick it is... I used to have a note warning about it in the TIPS section, I will probably re-add this note shortly.

Unfinished --- Though this will not affect reported Lens shift values, some projectors will cause the slider control to have too much play.
As a workaround, I force the offset to be overwritten and still show the correct values. It just means graphically you can move the projector too far, but the offset (Lens Distance to Floor) will still show correctly. This bug has existed for a while, since I have implemented a workaround long ago,
I decided to put this off for now. It's quite a job to fix this part of the code, as I consider it the worst code in the APP (it's at least one part of the app I could have done better)...

Unfinished --- There is an issue with the few RARE projectors that have Uneven Lens Shift (more upward play than down, or vice versa).
Since there are so few projectors that are affected by this (maybe 2-3), I will get to this when I can. I actually had fixed it in a prev version, but somehow I overwrote my fix. This includes the Benq htw8000 / ht6050, it will show the wrong lens shift values for now until I re-implement the fix...

Last edited by coderguy; 11-18-2017 at 09:23 PM.
post #13 of 40 Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Projector calculator

My hats of to you for such an easy to use and informative calculator! Excellent. Finally able to compare several projector options with all my settings to see how my setup changes with the changes in the multiple variables to optimize PQ.
Ajin
post #14 of 40 Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will continue to improve it at the beginning of next year.

Last edited by coderguy; 11-19-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #15 of 40 Old 12-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Gee, that gives grim results for 3D. I was looking at a Sony 365 and for my dimensions I can go 110" max for 3D, but then too bright for 2D low lamp.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-18-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Gee, that gives grim results for 3D. I was looking at a Sony 365 and for my dimensions I can go 110" max for 3D, but then too bright for 2D low lamp.
The JVC's are better for 3D and more adjustable, not sure if the Sony 365 has an adjustable fixed iris or not, but you can use gamma settings and least bright mode combined to curtail 2d brightness as a temporary solution until the lamp dims.

post #17 of 40 Old 12-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
The JVC's are better for 3D and more adjustable, not sure if the Sony 365 has an adjustable fixed iris or not, but you can use gamma settings and least bright mode combined to curtail 2d brightness as a temporary solution until the lamp dims.
Ah sorry the 385 is what I'm looking at. These regional numbers are just confusing. Eg here in Australia the 385 is the 360... The 385 has an iris. I see, so you wind the iris back.

Hmm, that is something I didn't even consider before, the 3D brightness being my main screen size limitation, as 3D is something I'm really looking forward to having on a projector.

Yes, plugging in the JVC 640 does give better results for 3D
post #18 of 40 Old 12-18-2017, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

The JVC's have a fixed adjustable iris setting (including the RS-400/420/440 series) in addition to their dynamic iris. So you don't have to worry much about 2D being too bright.

That means you can cut 2D brightness back down on a JVC to almost half of what the calculator shows in lamp low.
So you can get down to 600 lumens in lamp low (or maybe a bit less) with the iris adjusted.

I'm just estimating from what I know from older JVC's, I didn't check a review site to see the exact number of lumens with the iris closed.
You can probably find out from a review site.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-22-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-21-2017, 04:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
Liked: 5136
Great job on the calculator, looks great even on my Firefox browser. Lots of good information.
post #20 of 40 Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Minor Update Released
v.2.45.1

The Lumens for the Sony Projectors has been corrected to be slightly more accurate. It is difficult to get exact Sony readings because none of the reviewers are in agreement (huge discrepency by about 10% to 20% between reviewers). That said, I am most closely trusting PJR over PJC. I would say the error margin on the Sony's is 10% in my calculator (give or take).

The Lumens for JVC projectors has been changed just slightly, there is now assumed to be no difference between the 4xx/5xx/6xx in lumens, except that the RS-440/540/640 are coming in slightly lower on a consistent basis compared to the previous JVC's. The JVC modifier has been changed to 10/10 instead of 8/8 based on updated data I have. I would say the error margin on the JVC is only 5% or less in my calculator.

The fact that JVC advertises that the RS-6xx series has more lumens than the RS-4xx series does not seem to fit with all the readings that I have. If anything, the RS-6xx series might be 100+ lumens less than the Rs-4xx series, but we'll give the benefit of the doubt and cancel it out, and suggest they are the same (close enough).

The lumens for the Optoma UHZ-65 are now considered finalized, no real changes were made except absolute brightest mode was raised to 2800 at mid-throw (or assumes about 3,200 at closest throw in torch mode on a brand new lamp).

Going to Release another version of the calculator soon...
Tom Bley likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-22-2017 at 05:03 AM.
post #21 of 40 Old 12-22-2017, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6613 Post(s)
Liked: 7686
Great job on this calculator - thank you !
post #22 of 40 Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Great job on this calculator - thank you !
Thanks...
It's been around almost 5 years, though the last 3 versions were quite a bit different and included more info.

post #23 of 40 Old 12-23-2017, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Yea it really is a great calculator. The only critique I might offer is the screen size could use arrows on the screen size slider to make it easier to set to the exact screen size. Kinda hard to just slide it with the mouse and get it just right. Almost impossible on a mobile device.
post #24 of 40 Old 12-23-2017, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Yea it really is a great calculator. The only critique I might offer is the screen size could use arrows on the screen size slider to make it easier to set to the exact screen size. Kinda hard to just slide it with the mouse and get it just right. Almost impossible on a mobile device.
I agree with that critique. I am using pre-built sliders but may change it to my own when i have time...
There are sliders with arrows but it didnt match the look, so I will see what I can do.

post #25 of 40 Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Coderguy,

I'm selecting home projector and I'm using webprojectorcalculator to determine which one is the better choice for me.
When I choose Sony VW885ES on 161 inc diagonal 1.3 Gain and 6.1m throw distance it looks very good based on Webprojectorcalculator. ( 21.4 FL with 1200 Lumens calibrated Low) but
on projector central Pro calculator the results are very different and poor brightness (14 FL does not show output lumens).
So my question is what source can I trust? The question is really important for me, will appreciate for your comments)
post #26 of 40 Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M997 View Post
Hi Coderguy,

I'm selecting home projector and I'm using webprojectorcalculator to determine which one is the better choice for me.
When I choose Sony VW885ES on 161 inc diagonal 1.3 Gain and 6.1m throw distance it looks very good based on Webprojectorcalculator. ( 21.4 FL with 1200 Lumens calibrated Low) but
on projector central Pro calculator the results are very different and poor brightness (14 FL does not show output lumens).
So my question is what source can I trust? The question is really important for me, will appreciate for your comments)
I am not sure about LOW LASER Mode, the 1200 was an estimate based on 1600 being HIGH mode at mid-zoom. I am pretty sure about 1500-1600 in HIGH though.

I've seen 2 users post around 1600 lumens, my calculator might be slightly high, but you should get at least 18 fL minimum I would think...

In the thread below, it says that Ekki @ Cine4 got 1600 lumens and another poster got 1800.

If you mount it at closest throw, you should get at least 1600 lumens, probably closer to 1700.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-review-2.html

Last edited by coderguy; 01-02-2018 at 05:06 AM.
post #27 of 40 Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 AM

Ok, thanks. I can't understand only one thing, Pro calculator 14FL, what output they use with such number? Projector has 200+ Lumens, they cut to 700???
Previously I had 3 chip DLP Marantz with 1200 max and 1000 eco lamp but the screen was 133 inch with 0.6 gain gray Draper and the image was outstanding but only in HD.
Now with all these lasers and much power results are so poor, hm, don't understand.
post #28 of 40 Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Projector Central's calculator has always been all over the map in a wild fashion.

All I know right now is that Ekii / Cine4, a reliable source, got 1600 lumens, but I believe that might have been closest throw (not sure as I entered these numbers a couple months ago).

I haven't seen many other reviewers post any measurements yet, once I see the other reviewers post theirs, I will update.

I really doubt you'd get only 700 lumens in Laser Low on this thing, but I cannot be 100% sure until we see other reviewers. I would think 1000-1200 in Laser LOW mode, and 1500-1600 in High from MId-zoom, or 1700-1750 at closest throw mid-zoom HIGH.

Keep in mind this PJ was measured at around 2100 lumens at closet throw in absolute torch mode...

post #29 of 40 Old 01-02-2018, 05:34 AM

Got it, thanks again)
post #30 of 40 Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update:

Will be adding all the missing Viewsonics and Viviteks shortly into a minor release (2.45.2), this to be done before the next major release.

Per the next Major Release (v2.5) - 3 Biggest Features Are:

User Reviews Being Added
I am adding a NEW unmentioned feature, REVIEWS... You'll be able to write a review on a given projector. Note that I will not be filtering the reviews at all, but they will be moderated to prevent ad spamming and any unruly posts.

User Profiles
User profiles will be the biggest improvement, you will be able to store your own measurements and watch how your lamp graph loses lumens over time. Eventually (if enough people enter measurements), we will be able to see all sorts of stats on the projector.

Seating Calculator
The first version of the seating calculator might be missing some functionality, but it should at least help you know certain things.

Features Planned Farther into the Future

Horizontal Lens Shift
I will be adding a Horizontal Lens Shift Slider that will automatically restrict your Vertical Shift in accordance to how much H-shift you use. Hence, I am going to keep this simple to use, so it will be a slider under the V-shift, you will just slide how many inches to the left or right of center.

I do not have an estimate to when Version 2.5 will be released yet. Hopefully within 2 months, but quite a lot of work left.
bubbrik likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-12-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page