Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 928 Old 12-22-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi, DavidHir

I forgot to ask how is the image with HDR is it bright enough? I'm looking at a 16' throw to my Carada 106" thanks.

jsil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 928 Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post
I've currently got a RS4810 and I've been looking at the RS440 too. So you feel it's a very nice upgrade? I want to get something that can accept 4K and show it off with HDR too. I was concerned with the lower contrast going from 60,000:1 on the RS4810 to 40,000:1 on the RS440. I've got a large 148" cinemascope screen with a 1.5 gain. I love the image of my RS4810 and want to move it to my other room that I watch sports in. The RS540 looks awesome but the price point jumps up a lot more.
The highest contrast the RS4810 could achieve, non-calibrated, was 50,000:1 with the iris completely closed on a new lamp. I was getting around 30,000:1 or so (measured by Chad) in order to get 12ftL on a 9 foot wide 1.0 gain screen with a newer lamp. The RS440 will match the RS4810 when you're talking lumens matching. With your screen size even at 1.5 gain, I think the RS440 greater light output will help a lot and I do think it's an upgrade for brightness as well as for UHD BD. You also get the auto iris which many like.
DavidHir is offline  
post #33 of 928 Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Hi, DavidHir

I forgot to ask how is the image with HDR is it bright enough? I'm looking at a 16' throw to my Carada 106" thanks.
You should be okay. I have enough brightness at 1.0 gain and 9 feet wide screen (equivalent to 124" diagonal) at 12' 7" throw. If you can mount any closer it would help though but I wouldn't think you'd have problem if you cannot.
DavidHir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 928 Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,537
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post
I've currently got a RS4810 and I've been looking at the RS440 too. So you feel it's a very nice upgrade? I want to get something that can accept 4K and show it off with HDR too. I was concerned with the lower contrast going from 60,000:1 on the RS4810 to 40,000:1 on the RS440. I've got a large 148" cinemascope screen with a 1.5 gain. I love the image of my RS4810 and want to move it to my other room that I watch sports in. The RS540 looks awesome but the price point jumps up a lot more.
Unless you use your 4810 in low lamp with iris setting of -12 to -15, the 440 will match or beat (contrast) the 4810 when brightness matched. This is because the 440 is so much brighter, that you have to close the iris down more. With each click of the iris closed, you gain native contrast. Don't expect to actually see better contrast with the 440, there is not enough of a difference to see by eye. So even though the contrast specs differ, in actual use they are pretty much the same, when at same brightness level.
DavidHir and jpbonadio like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #35 of 928 Old 12-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Jvc x590rb

Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality. I couldn’t find many reviews on this particular projector, I was wondering if you guys can offer some insight. I am also getting a reference 4K Screen. FOr JVC this is an entry level projector where 5040 is the almost at the higher end for Epson, does it measure up to the Epson. Just wanted to know if I am making the right choice with the JVC? Are their any rainbow effect ? Is it easy to allign the lens to the screen. Thanks in advance!!

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

Viewing conditions: - Dedicated Theater room (controlled light)
- I am not a gamer, I don’t own any gaming consoles
- No TV watching just Movies
Gstarx is offline  
post #36 of 928 Old 12-24-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality. I couldn’t find many reviews on this particular projector, I was wondering if you guys can offer some insight. I am also getting a reference 4K Screen. FOr JVC this is an entry level projector where 5040 is the almost at the higher end for Epson, does it measure up to the Epson. Just wanted to know if I am making the right choice with the JVC? Are their any rainbow effect ? Is it easy to allign the lens to the screen. Thanks in advance!!

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

Viewing conditions: - Dedicated Theater room (controlled light)
- I am not a gamer, I don’t own any gaming consoles
- No TV watching just Movies
The JVC is a much better projector and no issues with rainbows since tbey are not DLPs or have a color wheel. Did you check your projector throw to your screen size? http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

Last edited by DavidHir; 12-24-2017 at 07:09 PM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #37 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 04:29 AM
Member
 
Dandion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Jvc x590rb
Hey Guys,

Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality. I couldn’t find many reviews on this particular projector, I was wondering if you guys can offer some insight. I am also getting a reference 4K Screen. FOr JVC this is an entry level projector where 5040 is the almost at the higher end for Epson, does it measure up to the Epson. Just wanted to know if I am making the right choice with the JVC? Are their any rainbow effect ? Is it easy to allign the lens to the screen. Thanks in advance!!

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

Viewing conditions: - Dedicated Theater room (controlled light)
- I am not a gamer, I don’t own any gaming consoles
- No TV watching just Movies
Hi always had very good service with eastporters and you can not beat their prices in Canada. I bought my vpl hw45es with elunuvision screen and speakers there. Here is fresh a review for rs 440/x590

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-...tor-Review.htm
Daniel

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
Sony VPL-HW45ES, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
Dandion is offline  
post #38 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
hi guys, long time reader here but first time i post here.

I need advice deciding what projector to get, currently i own Optoma UHD60, i bought it just to try 4k and to hold me till i find something better within price range.

I have 3 projectors in mind ( jvc x590 , sony vw285 , optoma UHZ65 ). now my room (11.5x15feet) is 70% blacked out (back velvet drapes along the sides, black velvet on the ceiling up to 8feet and black carpet with some dark grey in the back side and the rest of the ceiling), my screen is 1.1gain cinewhite 135inch.

I have never owned a JVC before but always hear great things about it specially black level and contrast, i m coming from sony hw40es and optoma uhd60 so dont really know what kind of picture quality upgrade i should expect.

I game a lot on high end pc and ps4 pro, i watch also 4k HDR movies using my sony x800d player.
The JVC x590 is what i m leaning towards the most right now, it's $3600 so also its cheaper than the other 2, i m just hesitant because its not 4k and never tried 1080p e-shift before, my UHD60 isnt native 4k either but its very very shrap (i sit 13feet away from the screen) although its lacking in the black lvl and contrast department.

So which one of those 3 u think will give me the biggest upgrade and wow factor in watching 1080P/SDR 4K/HDR and playing video games.

Thanks and merry christmas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_190733.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	2335158   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_185015.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	713.4 KB
ID:	2335160  

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #39 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
hi guys, long time reader here but first time i post here.

I need advice deciding what projector to get, currently i own Optoma UHD60, i bought it just to try 4k and to hold me till i find something better within price range.

I have 3 projectors in mind ( jvc x590 , sony vw285 , optoma UHZ65 ). now my room (11.5x15feet) is 70% blacked out (back velvet drapes along the sides, black velvet on the ceiling up to 8feet and black carpet with some dark grey in the back side and the rest of the ceiling), my screen is 1.1gain cinewhite 135inch.

I have never owned a JVC before but always hear great things about it specially black level and contrast, i m coming from sony hw40es and optoma uhd60 so dont really know what kind of picture quality upgrade i should expect.

I game a lot on high end pc and ps4 pro, i watch also 4k HDR movies using my sony x800d player.
The JVC x590 is what i m leaning towards the most right now, it's $3600 so also its cheaper than the other 2, i m just hesitant because its not 4k and never tried 1080p e-shift before, my UHD60 isnt native 4k either but its very very shrap (i sit 13feet away from the screen) although its lacking in the black lvl and contrast department.

So which one of those 3 u think will give me the biggest upgrade and wow factor in watching 1080P/SDR 4K/HDR and playing video games.

Thanks and merry christmas
Hands down the RS440. It has much better contrast and HDR (even out of the box) compared to the other projectors. It will work well for gaming too.
DavidHir is offline  
post #40 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Hands down the RS440. It has much better contrast and HDR (even out of the box) compared to the other projectors. It will work well for gaming too.
Even compared to the SONY ?
i keep reading from various reviews how the VW285 and RS440 are so close.
i m not sure if i should even consider the optoma UHZ65 in the same ballpark as these 2.
But so far the RS440 has the best feedback/reviews, i hope their e-shift 5 is close to the optoma's 4k solution at my viewing distant.
tnaik4 is offline  
post #41 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Even compared to the SONY ?

i keep reading from various reviews how the VW285 and RS440 are so close.

i m not sure if i should even consider the optoma UHZ65 in the same ballpark as these 2.

But so far the RS440 has the best feedback/reviews, i hope their e-shift 5 is close to the optoma's 4k solution at my viewing distant.


I agree, I would rule out the uhz65 right off. It only has one advantage a smaller chassis. The Sony has no lens memory, 14gbs hdmi vs JVC’s 18gbs hdmi. The Sony can only do 10bit 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, vs JVS’s full uncompressed 10bit 4:4:4 chroma. Sony has banding issues and lower contrast. The only advantage Sony has is higher resolution that can only be noticed at absurdly close viewing distances. I have a DLP and I have nothing against DLP, but above the $2,000 price point I don’t think there is anything close to what JVC offers until you get to $10,000 Plus Sony projectors.
bix26 is offline  
post #42 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi! I was wondering would it be better to get last gens mid level 4k (jvc770/520) for better contrast and slightly brighter picture, or should I get the new entry-level 4k(590/440). Right now, I can find both around the same price. I was also looking at the sony 285, but I don't think I'd notice the resolution advantage at 9-10 feet away on a 100" screen.
dastodavid is offline  
post #43 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
Hi! I was wondering would it be better to get last gens mid level 4k (jvc770/520) for better contrast and slightly brighter picture, or should I get the new entry-level 4k(590/440). Right now, I can find both around the same price. I was also looking at the sony 285, but I don't think I'd notice the resolution advantage at 9-10 feet away on a 100" screen.
It's only anecdotal that it was brighter last year, we had a thread going and there was definitely a pattern of slightly lower brightness on the newer units (some were significantly dimmer, some just a tad), but it could have very well been the lamp production runs.

I published the brightness in my calculator as being about 100 lumens less (or 75 after calibration), whether or not that is correct is subjective. Normally, I would have left the numbers the same for all years, but the evidence was pretty high (for whatever reason).

The RS-520 over the RS-440, but you may want to review the new features you get to see if you feel you might be missing anything... If you use Frame interpolation, make sure the RS-520 you buy is the updated version with the fix.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #44 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Even compared to the SONY ?
i keep reading from various reviews how the VW285 and RS440 are so close.
i m not sure if i should even consider the optoma UHZ65 in the same ballpark as these 2.
But so far the RS440 has the best feedback/reviews, i hope their e-shift 5 is close to the optoma's 4k solution at my viewing distant.
The Sony 285 doesn't have an iris or a dynamic iris like the RS440. These give the JVC a notable advantage with blacks/contrast. HDR out of the box on the RS440 is very good and tracks a little better compared to the Sony. Custom gamma curves via the Arve tool improves HDR even better on the JVC - I believe there might be a way to do these now on the Sony. I would not consider the UHZ65 although it is a bit sharper than the RS440 with 4K. However, as you know, there are multiple factors to consider for PQ of an image although I would consider contrast probably at the top. ~1500:1 contrast like the Optoma is not acceptable for home theater in my opinion.
coderguy likes this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #45 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

Based on your experience with screen aspect ratio in reference to the JVC projector or/and available content. What would be the ideal screen ratio?
Gstarx is offline  
post #46 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Hey guys,

Based on your experience with screen aspect ratio in reference to the JVC projector or/and available content. What would be the ideal screen ratio?
Generally 16:9 unless you have more width that you want to make use of.
It depends on your own usage habits though, most games are 16:9 if you care, though games re-aspect easy. Most TV is 16:9, it's just movies that are not.

The JVC has high enough contrast where the black bars are not really a huge deal (at least not to me).
AV_Integrated likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-25-2017 at 08:10 PM.
coderguy is offline  
post #47 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 11:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
It's only anecdotal that it was brighter last year, we had a thread going and there was definitely a pattern of slightly lower brightness on the newer units (some were significantly dimmer, some just a tad), but it could have very well been the lamp production runs.

I published the brightness in my calculator as being about 100 lumens less (or 75 after calibration), whether or not that is correct is subjective. Normally, I would have left the numbers the same for all years, but the evidence was pretty high (for whatever reason).

The RS-520 over the RS-440, but you may want to review the new features you get to see if you feel you might be missing anything... If you use Frame interpolation, make sure the RS-520 you buy is the updated version with the fix.
Thanks for the response! Anyway the only real advantage I could find for the 440 was eshift 5. I don't know if that would be noticeably sharper from 9' away. Also how can I find out if the 520 is "fixed"?
dastodavid is offline  
post #48 of 928 Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
Thanks for the response! Anyway the only real advantage I could find for the 440 was eshift 5. I don't know if that would be noticeably sharper from 9' away. Also how can I find out if the 520 is "fixed"?
There are some other differences, I forget them all. One is that you no longer have to use the HD Fury linker thing-a-ma-bobber to use the DI in HDR modes (but honestly, this shouldn't matter to anyone that much).

And another is though the 520 has improved HDR handling over the 500, you may still need to do some extra custom gamma work more so than the 440 (I think, but I could be wrong).

PM Mike Garrett in this forum and ask him if he has any RS-520's left.

Otherwise, you have to ask whatever dealer you buy it from if the 520's they are selling are patched with the CMD fix...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #49 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,654
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
Hi! I was wondering would it be better to get last gens mid level 4k (jvc770/520) for better contrast and slightly brighter picture, or should I get the new entry-level 4k(590/440). Right now, I can find both around the same price. I was also looking at the sony 285, but I don't think I'd notice the resolution advantage at 9-10 feet away on a 100" screen.
Stay away from the X20 models if you game. The CMD fix on those models broke 4k gaming and who knows when it will be fixed.
coderguy likes this.
Toe is offline  
post #50 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
zorax2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
I game a lot on high end pc and ps4 pro, i watch also 4k HDR movies using my sony x800d player.
The JVC x590 is what i m leaning towards the most right now, it's $3600 so also its cheaper than the other 2, i m just hesitant because its not 4k and never tried 1080p e-shift before, my UHD60 isnt native 4k either but its very very shrap (i sit 13feet away from the screen) although its lacking in the black lvl and contrast department.

So which one of those 3 u think will give me the biggest upgrade and wow factor in watching 1080P/SDR 4K/HDR and playing video games.
The X590 is definitely the best choice. You'll be crippled for gaming with the other projectors. The UHD60 has high lag if I recall correctly and the Sony has crippled HDMI inputs which results in banding in video games on high settings.

I've got the X790 (RS540) and it's perfect for gaming. Reasonable input lag and an awesome picture. I primarily play first person shooters (Battlefield One, COD) on an Xbox One X and the games look gorgeous and I play competitively. I was using a projector with 19ms response compared to the roughly 30 - 35 ms response on the JVC but I've noticed no change in my stats.

If you weren't gaming, then the other projectors would be worth consideration but you can forget about them for gaming.

I'd check around for pricing on the RS540. There are good prices out there close to your budget if you work hard at it. It truly is worth the stretch for the wide color gamut and other features. You also won't feel the urge to upgrade as soon.
AGSCMC likes this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
zorax2 is offline  
post #51 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Stay away from the X20 models if you game. The CMD fix on those models broke 4k gaming and who knows when it will be fixed.
Wow, I didn't even know that. That's a downer...
I'll keep that in mind next time I think of recommending the 420/520.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #52 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
There are some other differences, I forget them all. One is that you no longer have to use the HD Fury linker thing-a-ma-bobber to use the DI in HDR modes (but honestly, this shouldn't matter to anyone that much).

And another is though the 520 has improved HDR handling over the 500, you may still need to do some extra custom gamma work more so than the 440 (I think, but I could be wrong).

PM Mike Garrett in this forum and ask him if he has any RS-520's left.

Otherwise, you have to ask whatever dealer you buy it from if the 520's they are selling are patched with the CMD fix...
I don't miss the Linker in my set-up with its occasional glitches such as dropouts, having to reboot player, longer delays to sync, etc. It's nice to just run my player directly into my RS440.
coderguy and cardoski like this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #53 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,002
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Hope to get some help from your expertise. I am looking into getting the JVC x590RB, I have to pull the trigger before the months end due to a free bulb offer. Initially I was leaning towards the Epson 5040 UB, I was told by eastporters (a retailer in Canada) for the money the JVC is a better projector, FAR superior black levels and image quality.
As others have noted, JVC is a solid, solid unit. Looks like you have some thinking to do. Keep an eye on the currency exchange as sometimes Canadians shop in the US. I hear that Costco near the WA state border gets hammered for this reason ....

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 12-26-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #54 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Stay away from the X20 models if you game. The CMD fix on those models broke 4k gaming and who knows when it will be fixed.
I do game causally, not at 4k right now. Although my pc would be capable of 4k gaming, games just run better at lower res. Is it to the point to where games are downright unplayable or will it introduce some type of glitch?
dastodavid is offline  
post #55 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,654
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
I do game causally, not at 4k right now. Although my pc would be capable of 4k gaming, games just run better at lower res. Is it to the point to where games are downright unplayable or will it introduce some type of glitch?
Check out the most recent activity in the CMD banding thread for more info.
Toe is offline  
post #56 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dalumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara County
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So I am currently online with xbox one x tech support, but maybe you guys can help out as well.

I had to make some keystone adjustments to the projector to get the perfect image as I was not able to be perfectly perpendicular to the wall the screen is on.

My issue with the xbox one x is the xbox is emitting some type of 3d signal (even with 3d turned off in the settings) as it disables my keystone adjustments. The JVC manual states that when the projector receives a 3d signal from a source device, it will disable all keystone adjustments. This happens in all xbox menus, apps, and all games. the only time the xbox seems to function properly is when watching a disc based movie with the bluray app. While watching a disc based movie, keystone is not grayed out and my adjustments are active.

Tech support so far is baffled. The only head way we have made, is when resetting all xbox video settings and rebooting it into VGA mode, my projector works perfectly, keystone adjustments intact. As soon as I bump the resolution to 720p, keystone is grayed out and I loose all my adjustments.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a suggestion?

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
Dalumberjack is offline  
post #57 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
So I am currently online with xbox one x tech support, but maybe you guys can help out as well.

I had to make some keystone adjustments to the projector to get the perfect image as I was not able to be perfectly perpendicular to the wall the screen is on.

My issue with the xbox one x is the xbox is emitting some type of 3d signal (even with 3d turned off in the settings) as it disables my keystone adjustments. The JVC manual states that when the projector receives a 3d signal from a source device, it will disable all keystone adjustments. This happens in all xbox menus, apps, and all games. the only time the xbox seems to function properly is when watching a disc based movie with the bluray app. While watching a disc based movie, keystone is not grayed out and my adjustments are active.

Tech support so far is baffled. The only head way we have made, is when resetting all xbox video settings and rebooting it into VGA mode, my projector works perfectly, keystone adjustments intact. As soon as I bump the resolution to 720p, keystone is grayed out and I loose all my adjustments.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a suggestion?
It's not recommended at all to use keystone correction. The reason being is, you lose one-to-one pixel mapping which causes loss of resolution. I would really try to find a way to get the projector aligned properly without it.
DavidHir is offline  
post #58 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dalumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara County
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
It's not recommended at all to use keystone correction. The reason being is, you lose one-to-one pixel mapping which causes loss of resolution. I would really try to find a way to get the projector aligned properly without it.
I ran two new studs in my attic for the projector mount, but when I drilled the wholes I was just a little off in being square and ooooooo does it show when the projector is on. After some lens shift and keystone the image was perfectly alinged, but I know this is not ideal.

Just need the time to take everything back down and remount it all again.

I know this is the ultimate fix for my situation, just need the day off to fix it. was just possibly looking for another fix for the meantime.

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
Dalumberjack is offline  
post #59 of 928 Old 12-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Really enjoying 3D on my recently acquired x5900, it's a nice clean image with great black levels and decent motion for active.
ultraflexed likes this.

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
panman40 is offline  
post #60 of 928 Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Guys!

I just received my x590rb!!! Will be mounting it soon.

Just wanted to ask few questions from the experts before I make any mistakes lol. Forgive my ignorance, This is my first attempt at a “serious” home theater. There were lota talks about how the jvc lamp is not strong. The question is what would be the ideal distance to mount the projector at to get an ideal image quality. The screen is 135 diagonal, The calculator gives me a range. I have the space to go from 13 feet to 27 feet from the screen. At 13 to 15 feet it will be right on top of my head while viewing, not the most ideal since I don’t know how loud the fan is. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Gstarx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off