Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #841 of 931 Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by js91 View Post
Since buying the ATV 4k, there is a lot of stuttering and noise coming from the projector when i switch between the Apple TV 4k Interface and the actual movies I am going to watch. It also causes a delay of 5-10 seconds with a blank screen as it switches over. It's really quite annoying in netflix and amazon prime since you're often in and out of interface/video quite frequently when looking for something to watch.

Does anyone know why this might be going on and what the workaround might be? I'm guessing it's something to do with a signal change between the UI and actual source material...
The delay and blanking can be caused by changes in either dynamic range and/or refresh rate. You can eliminate the delay by turning off the options Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate. The ATV will then convert everything to the same dynamic range (SDR or HDR) and frame rate (24 vs 60). See the following Apple Support Article:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208288

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-15-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 931 Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Set your ATV to 4k60 SDR. Keep range matching on. When browsing, the projector will remain in SDR mode, minimizing delays. It will switch to HDR while watching HDR movies. There will be a delay when starting the movie, and after it ends when you switch back to the home screen, but browsing will be ok.

The noises are the filters moving in and out, and iris adjusting, depending on the settings you have for each mode.

Alternatively, you can keep content matching off, do all your browsing in SDR, and manually turn it back on when watching an HDR movie.

A third option is to browse on your computer or tablet, pick a movie and set up your projector appropriately.

I prefer the first approach, but often find myself browsing through movies on my iPad, often when I'm sitting in the living room and haven't yet fired up the home theater.

Yes, it's all a bit annoying, but as long as browsing and movie watching are both ok, the delays are tolerable.

Last edited by doctormyeyes; 01-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #843 of 931 Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormyeyes View Post
Alternatively, you can keep content matching off, do all your browsing in SDR, and manually turn it back on when watching an HDR movie.
If you turn matching off ATV will “convert” SDR into HDR and vice versa, so there’s no switching regardless of what you’re watching. The conversion does a decent job, but you can always switch to the “native” range” for most accurate picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 931 Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Chad stopped by yesterday to calibrate my X590R and all I can say is WOW the PQ is just beautiful. I did a mild calibration knowing that Chad was coming to my house beforehand. My set up is in a family room and the calibration was done in the evening. He did 3D, night, day for sdr and 3 HDR modes and set up the Panasonic 820 also.

post #845 of 931 Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Chad stopped by yesterday to calibrate my X590R and all I can say is WOW the PQ is just beautiful. I did a mild calibration knowing that Chad was coming to my house beforehand. My set up is in a family room and the calibration was done in the evening. He did 3D, night, day for sdr and 3 HDR modes and set up the Panasonic 820 also.
Hey, jsil.
Can you share your settings via pm?

I know that each projector have to be calibrated individually, but I just want to give it a try.
And see what difference there might be.
post #846 of 931 Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aili View Post
I know that each projector have to be calibrated individually,...
That statement is true in general for most TVs, but for the JVC projectors there’s really no point in using the settings from others.

Even for my own projector, before and after running autocal require completely different settings for colour temperature, gamma and CMS. You’re better off using the factory default settings, other than loading the Rec709 colour profile, and maybe reducing Contrast by a click or two.
Chad B likes this.
post #847 of 931 Old 01-20-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6493 Post(s)
Liked: 6471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That statement is true in general for most TVs, but for the JVC projectors there’s really no point in using the settings from others.
So true, TV's are one thing a projector is another. The color of the walls, the sheen of the paint, color of the ceiling, light of any kind in the room, ect ect can effect the picture in a projection room to some degree.
post #848 of 931 Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone had good luck with the Spears and Munsil contrast screen using the DLA-X590R? I was only able to get a 234, which was only the first few boxes, with my new Optoma UHD65 and the blacks don't seem that great. It's an option for me to swap for for the JVC DLA-X590 but its an $800 cost adder. I'm leaning towards doing it, especially since I can get a free extra lamp rebate, but I'd feel better to hear that it actually solves the problems I am seeing. The motorized focus and zoom in addition to 3d also sweeten the pot. Knock me off the fence please.

Rick
post #849 of 931 Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Has anyone had good luck with the Spears and Munsil contrast screen using the DLA-X590R? I was only able to get a 234, which was only the first few boxes, with my new Optoma UHD65 and the blacks don't seem that great. It's an option for me to swap for for the JVC DLA-X590 but its an $800 cost adder. I'm leaning towards doing it, especially since I can get a free extra lamp rebate, but I'd feel better to hear that it actually solves the problems I am seeing. The motorized focus and zoom in addition to 3d also sweeten the pot. Knock me off the fence please.

Rick
Well, a lotta help you guys were, lol. You forced me to man up and make the decision myself. I read a lot of reviews and lots of threads here so I was comfortable making the decision. I pulled the trigger and will be a proud owner of a DLA-X590R. I can't wait to try it.

Loving this forum. I fly remote helicopters and I help moderate helifreak.com so I've spent a lot of time in forums. Looking forward to lots of good reading here and hopefully being able to help others.
Rick
post #850 of 931 Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Just swapped out my 10 year old projector for the JVC x590rb and all I can say is wow what an update.

I am facing one issue that I hope someone here can assist. I have picked up a Sony IBP-x700 Blu Ray player and having issues of receiving a no signal message when directly connecting to the JVC projector. I do get a picture when I play a blu ray but if I try to go to the home screen on the Sony, it loses it signal and I receive a no Signal Message on the JVC.

I have plugged in the Sony blu ray to another TV in my home and it works just fine and even through a HDMI switch but just not connected directly to JVC.

Thanks
Vince.
post #851 of 931 Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddelmo View Post
Hi all,

Just swapped out my 10 year old projector for the JVC x590rb and all I can say is wow what an update.

I am facing one issue that I hope someone here can assist. I have picked up a Sony IBP-x700 Blu Ray player and having issues of receiving a no signal message when directly connecting to the JVC projector. I do get a picture when I play a blu ray but if I try to go to the home screen on the Sony, it loses it signal and I receive a no Signal Message on the JVC.

I have plugged in the Sony blu ray to another TV in my home and it works just fine and even through a HDMI switch but just not connected directly to JVC.

Thanks
Vince.
The cuprit is most likely the HDMI cable.
post #852 of 931 Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I got my x590R a few weeks ago so I'm still figuring out how to best utilize it. I'm using my Xbox One S as my bluray player. So far I haven't messed around with any kind of calibration. To this point I've watched Wonderwoman and The Greatest Showman in UHD, and Moana on standard blu-ray (little kids, don't judge), and they all look fantastic. Even Moana looked very impressive! Tonight we watched Solo on UHD and we were incredibly disappointed in the image quality. It looked dark and muddy through almost the whole movie. When there were really bright scenes it looked ok, but it was almost like the range of brightness was too compressed at the lower end. I checked that the projector was in HDR mode. Once the movie was over, I took it out and popped in the greatest showman just to check my sanity and it looked as good as ever.

Was I doing something wrong with Solo? Anyone else experience this?

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
post #853 of 931 Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post
I got my x590R a few weeks ago so I'm still figuring out how to best utilize it. I'm using my Xbox One S as my bluray player. So far I haven't messed around with any kind of calibration. To this point I've watched Wonderwoman and The Greatest Showman in UHD, and Moana on standard blu-ray (little kids, don't judge), and they all look fantastic. Even Moana looked very impressive! Tonight we watched Solo on UHD and we were incredibly disappointed in the image quality. It looked dark and muddy through almost the whole movie. When there were really bright scenes it looked ok, but it was almost like the range of brightness was too compressed at the lower end. I checked that the projector was in HDR mode. Once the movie was over, I took it out and popped in the greatest showman just to check my sanity and it looked as good as ever.

The default HDR settings cannot be optimized for all setups. You can try custom curves, or start with my suggested settings (see link in my signature).
post #854 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:

Quote:
The default HDR settings cannot be optimized for all setups. You can try custom curves, or start with my suggested settings (see link in my signature).
In addition to what Dominic said, I think it's universally acknowledged that the Solo UHD picture quality is disappointing, and exactly as you described. So if that's the only movie giving you problems, I wouldn't worry about it. If there are others, then you can follow up with what Dominic was referring to.
Dominic Chan likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #855 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

In addition to what Dominic said, I think it's universally acknowledged that the Solo UHD picture quality is disappointing, and exactly as you described. So if that's the only movie giving you problems, I wouldn't worry about it. If there are others, then you can follow up with what Dominic was referring to.
Is it universally acknowledged in general, or is it just an issue on projectors?

It's pretty disappointing, I have a big star wars friend who I was going to have over to watch and enjoy the projector, and now I feel like I shouldn't even bother!

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
post #856 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Apparently adjustable tone mapping (e.g. UB820] helps with Solo:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57215390
DLCPhoto likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-26-2019 at 05:34 AM.
post #857 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Is it universally acknowledged in general, or is it just an issue on projectors?

It's pretty disappointing, I have a big star wars friend who I was going to have over to watch and enjoy the projector, and now I feel like I shouldn't even bother!
I haven't thoroughly researched it, but I think it's not just a problem with projectors. The review at Bluray.com concludes with this:

Quote:
The UHD helps settle the movie on the whole. It basically boils down to Solo being a natively flat, bland movie that just doesn't lend itself to classic eye candy on either format. Both the Blu-ray and UHD are problematic on top of what they have to work with, but this UHD is the better bet overall if for no other reason than more stable clarity and better, though not perfect, blacks.
You don't indicate what player you're using, but Dominic's post above links to someone with the UB-820, which provides more customization for tone-mapping, who found it to be helpful with this movie.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #858 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

No solo is known to have lackluster dark picture so I wouldn't worry too much. You will find a few movies that appear too dark in the 4k uhd version but as others said the Panasonic 820 player helps to be able to make some adjustments and increase brightness for darker movies. I wouldn't be concerned but you may want to invest in the Panasonic player in the future. It's great especially with these jvc units. Also in jvc menu you can play around with your dark level and bright level settings And Raise them a couple if picture seems too dark for hdr.
Shoot me a text if you want to borrow some other 4k movies to try. I've gotten a few more this week so I have about 90 or so now you can borrow whatever you want or can borrow my panasonic 820 player to try out to see if it makes a difference for you.
post #859 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I see the link for optimizing HDR without custom curves is for a x570R projector. Are the projectors similar enough that it's applicable to the x590R? And as I'm still a noob with the projector, what does the 4000, 2000, 1000 mean? What menu do I enter these settings in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
No solo is known to have lackluster dark picture so I wouldn't worry too much. You will find a few movies that appear too dark in the 4k uhd version but as others said the Panasonic 820 player helps to be able to make some adjustments and increase brightness for darker movies. I wouldn't be concerned but you may want to invest in the Panasonic player in the future. It's great especially with these jvc units. Also in jvc menu you can play around with your dark level and bright level settings And Raise them a couple if picture seems too dark for hdr.
Shoot me a text if you want to borrow some other 4k movies to try. I've gotten a few more this week so I have about 90 or so now you can borrow whatever you want or can borrow my panasonic 820 player to try out to see if it makes a difference for you.
Thanks, very generous of you, I may take you up on that. How is it that the panasonic has ways to tweak the picture that the projector can't do itself?

post #860 of 931 Old 01-26-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see the link for optimizing HDR without custom curves is for a x570R projector. Are the projectors similar enough that it's applicable to the x590R? And as I'm still a noob with the projector, what does the 4000, 2000, 1000 mean? What menu do I enter these settings in?
The 4000, 2000, 1000 are the “Mastering Levels”. The perfectionists will look up each movie they’ll be watching to find that info, but for convince you can just use the 2000 settings.

In the projector menu, if you click on Gamma, it will show a screen where you can adjust the Picture Level, Dark Level, Bright Level.
post #861 of 931 Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I am trying to calibrate my projector to Rec 709 and Rec 2020. I was working on it last night, using ChromaPure and their calibration blu ray. I ran into issues doing Rec 2020, and after doing some reading today it appears I need a different source for test patterns in order to calibrate to Rec 2020. Makes sense, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me last night. Anyway, what is a good source for the right test patterns?

I also noticed after getting through Rec 709 that my unit still pushes red a bit and lacks blue in the lower end of the grayscale, while it is near perfect at the higher end. Is this normal, and is it possible to fix? Sorry for the newb questions.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #862 of 931 Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Watched Thor Ragnarok and Maleficent in 3D last night and was very impressed with the PQ.

post #863 of 931 Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
I am trying to calibrate my projector to Rec 709 and Rec 2020. I was working on it last night, using ChromaPure and their calibration blu ray. I ran into issues doing Rec 2020, and after doing some reading today it appears I need a different source for test patterns in order to calibrate to Rec 2020. Makes sense, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me last night. Anyway, what is a good source for the right test patterns?

I also noticed after getting through Rec 709 that my unit still pushes red a bit and lacks blue in the lower end of the grayscale, while it is near perfect at the higher end. Is this normal, and is it possible to fix? Sorry for the newb questions.
I would post this in the JVC calibration thread.
post #864 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I could never get the converge right on this projector. When I stand in front of the screen, I can see the RGB pixels are off from each other. I’ve tried going through the fine tuning, but it never seems to get completely lined up. I’ve tried to go through and tweak this a few times. I always spend about an hour until my eyes want to bug of my head and the. I give up. When sittting 10 feet from a 125” screen, I don’t think I see convergence issues, but I’m wondering if it’s hurting my sharpness.

Is this just a limitation of the tech? When you guys stand right in front of your screen, do you see convergence issues and just feel that it’s not a big deal?
post #865 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 06:39 AM

I'm hoping to get some help with aligning my projector. I have 2 questions. First, if I center my lens shift, I find that over half of the image is on the ceiling. I would have thought that the neutral position of the lens would put the top of the image at the same height of the lens. Instead, see the attached picture. Yes, it is set for ceiling mount. Is this normal?

Second, once I use lens shift to get it centers, I can't get the geometry correct. If you look at the left side you can see that the side of the screen is not aligned with the image, but on the right side it is. To the best I can tell, the projector is perfectly centered on the screen, and pointing directly forward. I do know the screen isn't 100% level, but even if it's rotated by a tiny amount, I'd expect the left and right side to have the same alignment.

The image alignment isn't an issue when watching a movie, you can only tell when there's a menu on the screen that the left side doesn't line up with the screen border. But I'd like it to be perfect. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190119_211913 - Copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	877.1 KB
ID:	2521488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190119_212529 - Copy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	996.6 KB
ID:	2521490  

Last edited by BlueWRXPride; 02-07-2019 at 05:32 AM.
post #866 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping to get some help with aligning my projector. I have 2 questions. First, if I center my lens shift, I find that over half of the image is on the ceiling. I would have thought that the neutral position of the lens would put the top of the image at the same height of the lens. Instead, see the attached picture. Yes, it is set for ceiling mount. Is this normal?
The JVC projectors have no “inherent lens shift”, i.e., the neutral position projects the image straight ahead. This means it’s the centre of the image, not he top of the image, that’s at the lens height.

Quote:
Second, once I use lens shift to get it centers, I can't get the geometry correct. If you look at the left side you can see that the side of the screen is not aligned with the image, but on the right side it is. To the best I can tell, the projector is perfectly centered on the screen, and pointing directly forward. I do know the screen isn't 100% level, but even if it's rotated by a tiny amount, I'd expect the left and right side to have the same alignment.

The image alignment isn't an issue when watching a movie, you can only tell when there's a menu on the screen that the left side doesn't line up with the screen border. But I'd like it to be perfect. Any suggestions?
You need to tilt the projector up a bit, and then bring the image down with vertical lens shift.
(Additionally, rotate it very slightly to the right and bring the image back with horizontal lens shift).

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 02-06-2019 at 06:51 AM.
post #867 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
The JVC projectors have no “inherent lens shift”, i.e., the neutral position projects the image straight ahead. This means it’s the centre of the image, not he top of the image, that’s at the lens height.

You need to tilt the projector up a bit, and then bring the image down with vertical lens shift.
(Additionally, rotate it very slightly to the right and bring the image back with horizontal lens shift).
I used a level to ensure that the projector is perfectly level. And if I tilted it up, it would result in the right side no longer being aligned with the screen edge.

post #868 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used a level to ensure that the projector is perfectly level. And if I tilted it up, it would result in the right side no longer being aligned with the screen edge.
The objective is not to have the projector perfectly level, but to have it perfectly perpendicular to the screen (which may not be perfectly vertical).

Tilting it up will make the top and the bottom same width. If the left and right edges are not “symmetrical”, it means some other adjustments are off, as I mentioned previously.
post #869 of 931 Old 02-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The objective is not to have the projector perfectly level, but to have it perfectly perpendicular to the screen (which may not be perfectly vertical).

Tilting it up will make the top and the bottom same width. If the left and right edges are not “symmetrical”, it means some other adjustments are off, as I mentioned previously.
Ok valid point. I'll give that a shot tonight.

post #870 of 931 Old 02-07-2019, 05:34 AM

I gave it a shot, but it still doesn't seem right. I had to point the projector up pretty high and shift the image lower (almost to the max shift) to get the left and right sides parallel. I tilted the projector up way more than the screen could possibly be out of level. Regardless, once I did that, and angled the projector side to side to get the sides in alignment with the sides of the screen, now the top and bottom are not in alignment. It's almost like the screen itself isn't square, but I can't imagine how that could be possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190206_222352.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	2521492  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page