Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 928 Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstarx View Post
Hey Guys!

I just received my x590rb!!! Will be mounting it soon.

Just wanted to ask few questions from the experts before I make any mistakes lol. Forgive my ignorance, This is my first attempt at a “serious” home theater. There were lota talks about how the jvc lamp is not strong. The question is what would be the ideal distance to mount the projector at to get an ideal image quality. The screen is 135 diagonal, The calculator gives me a range. I have the space to go from 13 feet to 27 feet from the screen. At 13 to 15 feet it will be right on top of my head while viewing, not the most ideal since I don’t know how loud the fan is. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'm not sure where this notion of JVCs lamps is coming from. As Chad B, who has calibrated a ton of JVCs has noted, there is very little drop off over the first 1000 hours which is traditionally unheard of for any lamp-based projector. In fact, I cannot imagine a stronger lamp being out there.

The closer you can mount your projector to the screen, the more brightness you will have. You can get a little more contrast mounting it as far back as you can with the expensive of less available brightness. So you should have no problem mounting past 15 feet in case of the noise.
DavidHir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 928 Old 12-30-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I'm not sure where this notion of JVCs lamps is coming from. As Chad B, who has calibrated a ton of JVCs has noted, there is very little drop off over the first 1000 hours which is traditionally unheard of for any lamp-based projector. In fact, I cannot imagine a stronger lamp being out there.

The closer you can mount your projector to the screen, the more brightness you will have. You can get a little more contrast mounting it as far back as you can with the expensive of less available brightness. So you should have no problem mounting past 15 feet in case of the noise.
There were some people having issues on the latest run of JVC's (mainly 540/640's) with NEW lamps, but not so much with drop-off (except at least 1 user appeared to have a defective lamp entirely).

That said, I now have 11 measurements, and the lamps appear to be just as bright as the previous year, there has been a wider variance though.

Some of it may be calibration and people measuring wrong, but some of the people measuring were at expert-level and there is no way they made a mistake.

That said, no worries about the new JVC Lamps, other than the cost

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-30-2017 at 01:24 AM.
coderguy is offline  
post #63 of 928 Old 12-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
There were some people having issues on the latest run of JVC's (mainly 540/640's) with NEW lamps, but not so much with drop-off (except at least 1 user appeared to have a defective lamp entirely).

That said, I now have 11 measurements, and the lamps appear to be just as bright as the previous year, there has been a wider variance though.

Some of it may be calibration and people measuring wrong, but some of the people measuring were at expert-level and there is no way they made a mistake.

That said, no worries about the new JVC Lamps, other than the cost
Thanks gents!
Good thing I am getting an extra lamp free.
Gstarx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 928 Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,002
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
I ran two new studs in my attic for the projector mount, but when I drilled the wholes I was just a little off in being square and ooooooo does it show when the projector is on. After some lens shift and keystone the image was perfectly alinged, but I know this is not ideal.

Just need the time to take everything back down and remount it all again.

I know this is the ultimate fix for my situation, just need the day off to fix it. was just possibly looking for another fix for the meantime.
If it is working now that's a good thing, you say it is perfectly aligned Wait and do it right, or over look it and fix it when you get your new projector down the road....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #65 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Newbie
 
ln46a6502008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Input Lag and e-shift noise

Hello and happy new year to all.

I recently purchased an x590. I am still dialing in the picture but overall I am very pleased.

I have a few questions though.

The x570 has a reported input lag of 35ms but the x590 is measuring around 42ms yet JVC says it should be improved?

Does anyone notice a slight high pitch noise when e-shift is enabled?

Thank you.
ln46a6502008 is offline  
post #66 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ln46a6502008 View Post


Does anyone notice a slight high pitch noise when e-shift is enabled?

Thank you.
Normal.
DavidHir is offline  
post #67 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi All,

I have an X5900 and I have a couple of issues with it but I am unsure if I am being too fussy. Firstly edge to edge focus is quite poor if I get the left side of the screen perfectly focused the upper right side is incredibly blurry and if I focus the right side the lower left is incredibly blurry. I need to defocus buy 7 or 8 clicks to try and find a happy medium. When watching a movie this is not noticiable however when gaming text is a little blurry. The other issue I have is a slight discolouration on the right hand side ( ceiling mounted) this discolouration is noticeable on light scenes and can be observed during actual viewing. I find it distracting as I know it is there and now look for it rather then enjoying the movie. I've attached a couple of shots where you can see this discolouration especially in the top right of the picture.

Is this something I should be looking to get repaired? I don't look forward to dealing with JVC Australia on this as they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Kind Regards

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	2338740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	2338742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	573.5 KB
ID:	2338744  
Squidjammer is offline  
post #68 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I've been using my RS440 the last couple if weeks. Got a great deal from Mike Garrett at AVScience (highly recommended). I've owned an RS4810, RS4910, RS500, Epson LS10000 and the RS440 puts out the best UHD image I've seen from any of these. Eshift5 is not only nicely detailed, but looks more analog and natural from anything I've seen. Looking forward to getting Chad B out at some point here and will get contrast measured. I'm guessing it will be between 20-30,000:1 native once calibrated.
for PQ 1080p and 4k movies, did you compare between RS500 and RS440? thanks
khactuyen is offline  
post #69 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,



I have an X5900 and I have a couple of issues with it but I am unsure if I am being too fussy. Firstly edge to edge focus is quite poor if I get the left side of the screen perfectly focused the upper right side is incredibly blurry and if I focus the right side the lower left is incredibly blurry. I need to defocus buy 7 or 8 clicks to try and find a happy medium. When watching a movie this is not noticiable however when gaming text is a little blurry. The other issue I have is a slight discolouration on the right hand side ( ceiling mounted) this discolouration is noticeable on light scenes and can be observed during actual viewing. I find it distracting as I know it is there and now look for it rather then enjoying the movie. I've attached a couple of shots where you can see this discolouration especially in the top right of the picture.



Is this something I should be looking to get repaired? I don't look forward to dealing with JVC Australia on this as they can be quite difficult to deal with.



Kind Regards



Scott


That’s not normal (for high end projectors anyway) unless you have the projector far away from the center of the screen and are using a lot of lens shift.
bix26 is offline  
post #70 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
That’s not normal (for high end projectors anyway) unless you have the projector far away from the center of the screen and are using a lot of lens shift.
So it is definitely something that I should be pushing to be repaired. The projector is mounted in the center of the screen horizontally but I do use a medium amount of lens shift vertically(probably about half of what is available) my previous projector was mounted in the same spot without this discolouration.

I'll see what my good friends at JVC Australia have to say.
Squidjammer is offline  
post #71 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have an X5900 and I have a couple of issues with it but I am unsure if I am being too fussy. Firstly edge to edge focus is quite poor if I get the left side of the screen perfectly focused the upper right side is incredibly blurry and if I focus the right side the lower left is incredibly blurry. I need to defocus buy 7 or 8 clicks to try and find a happy medium. When watching a movie this is not noticiable however when gaming text is a little blurry. The other issue I have is a slight discolouration on the right hand side ( ceiling mounted) this discolouration is noticeable on light scenes and can be observed during actual viewing. I find it distracting as I know it is there and now look for it rather then enjoying the movie. I've attached a couple of shots where you can see this discolouration especially in the top right of the picture.

Is this something I should be looking to get repaired? I don't look forward to dealing with JVC Australia on this as they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Kind Regards

Scott
Try using Natural mode at 6500K and look at a contrast pattern to make sure contrast is not clipping. If you are clipping, that can introduce some color discolorization. Your grey seems pretty on my monitor anyway - are you referring to the far right side of the screen? Sometimes it can be tricky to capture but try what I said (unless you've done similarly already).

As far as focusing, try looking at it at 1080p (turn off eshift) if you haven't. You can even use that grey pattern to look at each pixel on the screen which should be defined especially near the center. It's common not to be able to focus as sharp away from the center in some spots. If the difference between the center area and somewhat outward portions is very extreme and noticeable, then it could be a subpar lens.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #72 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by khactuyen View Post
for PQ 1080p and 4k movies, did you compare between RS500 and RS440? thanks
See PM.
khactuyen and ultraflexed like this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #73 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Try using Natural mode at 6500K and look at a contrast pattern to make sure contrast is not clipping. If you are clipping, that can introduce some color discolorization. Your grey seems pretty on my monitor anyway - are you referring to the far right side of the screen? Sometimes it can be tricky to capture but try what I said (unless you've done similarly already).

As far as focusing, try looking at it at 1080p (turn off eshift) if you haven't. You can even use that grey pattern to look at each pixel on the screen which should be defined especially near the center. It's common not to be able to focus as sharp away from the center in some spots. If the difference between the center area and somewhat outward portions is very extreme and noticeable, then it could be a subpar lens.
Yeah, the issue is on the far right side of the screen. Those photos were taken using Natural mode at 7500k, I'll see if I can get some better photos tonight but as you say it is quite tricky to capture the issue.
Squidjammer is offline  
post #74 of 928 Old 01-01-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Yeah, the issue is on the far right side of the screen. Those photos were taken using Natural mode at 7500k, I'll see if I can get some better photos tonight but as you say it is quite tricky to capture the issue.

Also, 100 IRE really pushes things - check the lower numbers and see if it's there at 50 after checking for clipping.
DavidHir is offline  
post #75 of 928 Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have an X5900 and I have a couple of issues with it but I am unsure if I am being too fussy. Firstly edge to edge focus is quite poor if I get the left side of the screen perfectly focused the upper right side is incredibly blurry and if I focus the right side the lower left is incredibly blurry. I need to defocus buy 7 or 8 clicks to try and find a happy medium. When watching a movie this is not noticiable however when gaming text is a little blurry. The other issue I have is a slight discolouration on the right hand side ( ceiling mounted) this discolouration is noticeable on light scenes and can be observed during actual viewing. I find it distracting as I know it is there and now look for it rather then enjoying the movie. I've attached a couple of shots where you can see this discolouration especially in the top right of the picture.

Is this something I should be looking to get repaired? I don't look forward to dealing with JVC Australia on this as they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Kind Regards

Scott
I made some changes to my settings yesterday as suggested - Natural, 6500k and then adjusted slightly to eliminate any clipping and the issue is still present. I'm guessing it must be a panel issue as the problem is still present when I shift the image left or right. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired or is it likely that it would require a replacement?

Kind Regards


Scott
Squidjammer is offline  
post #76 of 928 Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
I made some changes to my settings yesterday as suggested - Natural, 6500k and then adjusted slightly to eliminate any clipping and the issue is still present. I'm guessing it must be a panel issue as the problem is still present when I shift the image left or right. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired or is it likely that it would require a replacement?

Kind Regards


Scott
Replacement.
DavidHir is offline  
post #77 of 928 Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
mpauline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Proud new owner of the X590. I upgraded from a RS25. I cannot get my Stewart Electriscreen to come down now. I turned on the trigger in the JVC menu. Perhaps the projector end of the trigger wire needs a different end than the one I had on the RS25? Does anyone know what type of end I am supposed to use?

Also my projector will not detect the NVDIA Shield. Does this mean I need a fibre optic HDMI cable?

Last edited by mpauline; 01-02-2018 at 07:30 PM.
mpauline is offline  
post #78 of 928 Old 01-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
mpauline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Answered my own question about the Nvidia Shield as I plugged it directly into HDMI 2 and it detected it as 4K on the projector. But if anyone can tell me what type of male end to put on the trigger wire going into the X590 it would be greatly appreciated. By the way this thing looks amazing on a tan wall watching NHL hockey on cable HD. It is so much brighter than my RS25.
mpauline is offline  
post #79 of 928 Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
mpauline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I tried to play COD WWII via PS4. The image changed to a bright pink which I presume happened again because my HDMI cable from my processor to my projector needs to be replaced....arghh I was so excited to try it out.
mpauline is offline  
post #80 of 928 Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Newbie
 
ln46a6502008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauline View Post
I tried to play COD WWII via PS4. The image changed to a bright pink which I presume happened again because my HDMI cable from my processor to my projector needs to be replaced....arghh I was so excited to try it out.
I had the same issue with my Xbox One X, connected as follows...

Xbox > Denon AVR 1913 > X590

I had to change my colour depth from 36bit to 8bit on the Xbox...that cleared up the issue. HDMI cable does support the higher bit rates AVR seems not to like them.

Now time for an AVR upgrade.
ln46a6502008 is offline  
post #81 of 928 Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Newbie
 
ln46a6502008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Normal.
Thank you.

Does anyone know why the input lag would be higher on the newer model?
ln46a6502008 is offline  
post #82 of 928 Old 01-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
mpauline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I bought a new HDMI cable and now my projector detects my Nvidia in 4K however my PS4 still has a pink screen when I try and play COD WW2. Any suggestions please as I game quite a bit on my projector and now I cannot.
mpauline is offline  
post #83 of 928 Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ln46a6502008 View Post
Thank you.

Does anyone know why the input lag would be higher on the newer model?
I'm not sure why it would be - lag times discussed in this review.

DavidHir is offline  
post #84 of 928 Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have an X5900 and I have a couple of issues with it but I am unsure if I am being too fussy. Firstly edge to edge focus is quite poor if I get the left side of the screen perfectly focused the upper right side is incredibly blurry and if I focus the right side the lower left is incredibly blurry. I need to defocus buy 7 or 8 clicks to try and find a happy medium. When watching a movie this is not noticiable however when gaming text is a little blurry. The other issue I have is a slight discolouration on the right hand side ( ceiling mounted) this discolouration is noticeable on light scenes and can be observed during actual viewing. I find it distracting as I know it is there and now look for it rather then enjoying the movie. I've attached a couple of shots where you can see this discolouration especially in the top right of the picture.

Is this something I should be looking to get repaired? I don't look forward to dealing with JVC Australia on this as they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Kind Regards

Scott
I have an older JVC projector and lens uniformity is not perfect (haven't seen a projector with perfect uniformity yet) but nowhere as bad as you are describing. I would try to get it repaired or exchanged.
durack is offline  
post #85 of 928 Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I have an older JVC projector and lens uniformity is not perfect (haven't seen a projector with perfect uniformity yet) but nowhere as bad as you are describing. I would try to get it repaired or exchanged.
Yeah, I have decided to try and get this fixed or replaced. The problem with JVC Australia is that firstly the 1 guy that looks after projectors is on leave until the end of January and secondly it seems that the still don't have a services center in my state which means shipping it around the country which is a time consuming process.
Squidjammer is offline  
post #86 of 928 Old 01-08-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I'm not sure why it would be - lag times discussed in this review.



https://youtu.be/LZ8YjbUZSQg?t=452


Just curious would it be possible to get the white version in the US? If so would it require a power converter?
bix26 is offline  
post #87 of 928 Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
GalvatronType_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Van down by the river
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I'll try to make this short.

Want to upgrade to a 4K PJ. Was considering the 285ES but then heard about its compatibility issues with 4K sources (Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, etc.) due to Sony's shortsighted 13.5 gbps HDMI inputs; then I saw the HDR color banding in person and the Sony is now fully out.

I'm now considering the X590R. A few questions:

-I will use the PJ for gaming, movies, and TV in that order; JVCs generally have awful input lag but I've read that the X590R has greatly improved lag to 42 ms but I am very sensitive to lag. Will I notice it?

-I really want Dolby Vision but I've heard that it's far off to arrive on projectors. Should I hold out or just settle for HDR10?

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
GalvatronType_R is offline  
post #88 of 928 Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I'll try to make this short.

Want to upgrade to a 4K PJ. Was considering the 285ES but then heard about its compatibility issues with 4K sources (Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, etc.) due to Sony's shortsighted 13.5 gbps HDMI inputs; then I saw the HDR color banding in person and the Sony is now fully out.

I'm now considering the X590R. A few questions:

-I will use the PJ for gaming, movies, and TV in that order; JVCs generally have awful input lag but I've read that the X590R has greatly improved lag to 42 ms but I am very sensitive to lag. Will I notice it?

-I really want Dolby Vision but I've heard that it's far off to arrive on projectors. Should I hold out or just settle for HDR10?
No one can say for certain just how sensitive you will be to lag, but it's 25 ms at 4K. See the review video I linked above.

Yes, HDR10 is going to be the standard plate of HDR for a long time on projectors. Creating custom curves via the Arve tool is the best way to get HDR on this projector but it does take knowledge or a good calibrator. HDR out of the box is pretty good though.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-10-2018 at 07:35 PM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #89 of 928 Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Just curious would it be possible to get the white version in the US? If so would it require a power converter?
I don't believe there are white versions in the U.S.
DavidHir is offline  
post #90 of 928 Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I don't believe there are white versions in the U.S.


I should have said imported into the US(at a reasonable price say a few hundred more). If so would you need a power inverter?
bix26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off