Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #901 of 922 Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
A little bit of jumping can be normal as you just have to give a little slack to then get it aligned. Can you ultimately get it perfectly aligned?

How much off centered is the projector to the center of the screen? This can play a role if it's off too much.

Thanks David, yes I can get it perfectly aligned, although I have had to realign it twice in the month I have had the replacement. The projector is pretty close to dead center left and right, but is ceiling mounted about a foot down from the top of the screen.
Assuming the vertical shift while changing directions horizontally is normal, do you think it matters whether I finish alignment with a right press (lower vertical position) or a left press (higher vertical position)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC RS-440 | SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen | Fusion Lagoon Seating
Denon x4300H | Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763 | Dayton
Sealed 18-HO | Behringer EP4000
Tivo Bolt | Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | PS4 Pro | Nvidia Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddelmo View Post
Hi all,

Just swapped out my 10 year old projector for the JVC x590rb and all I can say is wow what an update.

I am facing one issue that I hope someone here can assist. I have picked up a Sony IBP-x700 Blu Ray player and having issues of receiving a no signal message when directly connecting to the JVC projector. I do get a picture when I play a blu ray but if I try to go to the home screen on the Sony, it loses it signal and I receive a no Signal Message on the JVC.

I have plugged in the Sony blu ray to another TV in my home and it works just fine and even through a HDMI switch but just not connected directly to JVC.

Thanks
Vince.
I am looking at getting a UHD 4K blu-ray player to go with my X590 projector.

TheWirecutter.com recommends the Sony X-700 over the X-800 because of Dolby Vision. But does DV even work on the X590? Right now the X-800 is on sale for same price as X-700 (and apparently has better build quality) so if dolby vision doesn't matter than i'll get it instead.
post #903 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadry View Post
I am looking at getting a UHD 4K blu-ray player to go with my X590 projector.

TheWirecutter.com recommends the Sony X-700 over the X-800 because of Dolby Vision. But does DV even work on the X590? Right now the X-800 is on sale for same price as X-700 (and apparently has better build quality) so if dolby vision doesn't matter than i'll get it instead.
Yes, having Dolby Vision in your player is of no use, since your Projector (nor any other available projectors), will support it.

But you might consider the Panasonic UB-820 player instead. It is more expensive, but offers Auto Tone Mapping, and excellent conversion from HDR to SDR-2020, which will give more consistent results with UHD discs. Unfortunately these discs vary a lot in terms of mastering, such that some discs are fine, some are too dark, some are too light. The Auto Tone Mapping (along with Dynamic Range sliders) work well to overcome these issues for most content.
DavidHir likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2515 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Thanks David, yes I can get it perfectly aligned, although I have had to realign it twice in the month I have had the replacement. The projector is pretty close to dead center left and right, but is ceiling mounted about a foot down from the top of the screen.
Assuming the vertical shift while changing directions horizontally is normal, do you think it matters whether I finish alignment with a right press (lower vertical position) or a left press (higher vertical position)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It shouldn't matter so long as you can get it aligned reasonably. It looks like you're using a 16x9 screen, so it should be set and forget once you have it (I imagine).
post #905 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Yes, having Dolby Vision in your player is of no use, since your Projector (nor any other available projectors), will support it.

But you might consider the Panasonic UB-820 player instead. It is more expensive, but offers Auto Tone Mapping, and excellent conversion from HDR to SDR-2020, which will give more consistent results with UHD discs. Unfortunately these discs vary a lot in terms of mastering, such that some discs are fine, some are too dark, some are too light. The Auto Tone Mapping (along with Dynamic Range sliders) work well to overcome these issues for most content.
Right now the Sony X800 is on sale for $298 CAD (same price as X700), while the Panasonic UB-820 is $498. Worth the $200 upgrade?

Mainly stream netflix/amazon (using 4K ATV), but my wife started borrowing blu-ray movies (so likely non-UHD) through local library.
post #906 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadry View Post
Mainly stream netflix/amazon (using 4K ATV), but my wife started borrowing blu-ray movies (so likely non-UHD) through local library.
In that case you can get a non-UHD player for $60.
post #907 of 922 Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
In that case you can get a non-UHD player for $60.
well i do have an old LG BP730 4K blu-ray player, but the video quality seems poor, and my wife says sometimes plays movies in funny screen ratio's and she can't adjust it

i assumed it was because older blu-ray player, but maybe it's the source (the discs)
post #908 of 922 Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello fellow x590r owners? Have any of you had this problem?

I cannot seem to connect the projector to the network. I have a x590r and have tried via DHCP and static through the router and also a direct connection to the projector. Have tried several ethernet cables from cat5e to cat7.

What is the magic trick to configure this for the autocal to run? I have a Edgerouter and have configured both the static ip and DHCP and it either fails to obtain IP address, or just times out.

Is this a projector defect? I have a lot of equipment on my router / switch and never had any problem. Is there a service menu setting I have to mess with?

I apparently seem to be the only person with this problem from googling.

Even when direct connecting to the network and setting it up exactly as the autocal instructions tell me to, it still does not working. Pinging it and the host is unresposive every time. Is this projector broken?
post #909 of 922 Old 05-01-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

I cannot seem to connect the projector to the network. I have a x590r and have tried via DHCP and static through the router and also a direct connection to the projector. Have tried several ethernet cables from cat5e to cat7.

What is the magic trick to configure this for the autocal to run? I have a Edgerouter and have configured both the static ip and DHCP and it either fails to obtain IP address, or just times out.

Is this a projector defect? I have a lot of equipment on my router / switch and never had any problem. Is there a service menu setting I have to mess with?

Even when direct connecting to the network and setting it up exactly as the autocal instructions tell me to, it still does not working. Pinging it and the host is unresposive every time. Is this projector broken?
Sometimes disconnecting the power cord for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting it will fix the problem. Easy enough to try.
post #910 of 922 Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Sometimes disconnecting the power cord for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting it will fix the problem. Easy enough to try.
Tried that. Also borrowed a router from work to see if my switch was the problem. Same issue. Can't even ping the thing.

Just curious Dominic, are you using DHCP or static to connect to yours? Trying to rule out something, and as always, appreciate the help.
post #911 of 922 Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried that. Also borrowed a router from work to see if my switch was the problem. Same issue. Can't even ping the thing.

Just curious Dominic, are you using DHCP or static to connect to yours? Trying to rule out something, and as always, appreciate the help.
I specify a reserved (static) IP address in the router but still set for DHCP in the projector.
post #912 of 922 Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yes, the darker/blacker your room the better. It makes a huge difference. Carpet matters too - if you are limited there, at least try to have something placed down in front of the screen. Check out the black out thread too for good ideas.
Furniture too, in a prime situation everything in the room is a matte black. Of course this is not practical, I went with a matte dark grey including, but not limited to the ceiling.
post #913 of 922 Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I just had this same problem connecting my RS400 to my network a couple of nights ago. What worked for me was setting the DHCP client to ON in the projector. Then turn the projector off, unplug the ethernet cable, wait a couple of minutes, plug the ethernet cable back in, then turn the projector on. When I pulled up the menu, the IP address was populated. Done. The instructions say to choose "set" but that never worked. I know you said you tried turning the projector off, but maybe try again and make sure the details are the same as what I have here. It definitely seems a weak point in their firmware/hardware.
post #914 of 922 Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 PM

JVC sure kicked butt on resolving this. My projector is back, running and networking the @#$% out of my ip addresses.

Tech told me it was a bent lead on the female network port and all is well. JVC was extremely professional and I can't sing their customer service praises enough on how they handled this.

@Dominic ; I believe you said somewhere in this thread that the squeeze is not worth the juice callibrating the color profiles on the x590r. Is that still true? I have an x-rite i1 pro2 on loan from a friend so "we have the technology" so to speak.

I plan to follow the process to fully calibrate in the first page of this thread, but wanted to make sure I am not misunderstanding your advisement on this front /earlier post.
post #915 of 922 Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Dominic ; I believe you said somewhere in this thread that the squeeze is not worth the juice callibrating the color profiles on the x590r. Is that still true? I have an x-rite i1 pro2 on loan from a friend so "we have the technology" so to speak.
No, I was saying that you need to confirm your Spyder 5’s colour accuracy prior to using it for colour autocal. Gamma autocal is usually OK.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-10-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
post #916 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Ok, thanks Dominic.

But an i1 pro2 in proper working order is good to go for COLOR only, and Spyder5 for gamma only on tests?

I am basing this logic on Manni's description in avscience (albeit for a newer JVC Autocal model) where he says the right tools for the AUTOCAL jobs are gamma autocal=spyder5 or color autocal=i1 pro2.

Link removed.

Last edited by Mark the Red; 05-10-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #917 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But an i1 pro2 in proper working order is good to go for COLOR only, and Spyder5 for gamma only on tests?
That’s what I was doing until I confirmed that my Spyder readings are consistent with my i1Pro2.

BTW, the moderators may not like links to “competing” websites. That’s why Manni does not include the link in his signature here.
post #918 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks again Dominic. You're doing God's work on this thread and others. Learned a lot from your posts and feel confident enough to do this right.

On an unrelated subject, is there a reason why when you turn Low Latency mode off on this projector you get the Soap Opera smoothing effect. CMD, MPC, smoothing settings are all off or at zero but when I turn low latency mode off, I get a better picture but everything has the too smooth effect which is unwatchable.

I am using MadVR and I suspect it is tangentially responsible, but I can't figure it out. My PC resolution is locked at 3160p24 12bit but the difference is entirely related to the low latency mode. Googling the subject just brought me to JVC's webpage with generic discussion.

Do any of you x590r owners use the "High" Latency mode and have this effect?
post #919 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
I just had this same problem connecting my RS400 to my network a couple of nights ago. What worked for me was setting the DHCP client to ON in the projector. Then turn the projector off, unplug the ethernet cable, wait a couple of minutes, plug the ethernet cable back in, then turn the projector on. When I pulled up the menu, the IP address was populated. Done. The instructions say to choose "set" but that never worked. I know you said you tried turning the projector off, but maybe try again and make sure the details are the same as what I have here. It definitely seems a weak point in their firmware/hardware.
What is so important about being connected to the internet? There are no apps are there?

Jack
post #920 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
What is so important about being connected to the internet? There are no apps are there?
To run the JVC calibration software requires a connection between the projector and a computer. It might be possible to do it directly but easier to connect to the home network and access it from any PC. Firmware updates are possibly also done this way but I haven't gotten that far.
post #921 of 922 Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On an unrelated subject, is there a reason why when you turn Low Latency mode off on this projector you get the Soap Opera smoothing effect. CMD, MPC, smoothing settings are all off or at zero but when I turn low latency mode off, I get a better picture but everything has the too smooth effect which is unwatchable.
CMD turning ON by itself (in spite of the user setting) is a known bug of these projectors. The only way to ensure CMD is off, is to turn on the low latency mode.

Note: some wording was garbled in my previous reply, conveying the wrong message. Now corrected.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-10-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #922 of 922 Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Ok, thanks Dominic.

I am basing this logic on Manni's description in avscience (albeit for a newer JVC Autocal model) where he says the right tools for the AUTOCAL jobs are gamma autocal=spyder5 or color autocal=i1 pro2.

Link removed.
I didn't realize any i1 meters worked with autocal. Has that changed? Does the i1 pro3 work?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page