Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 940 Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
the 440 is an amazing projector really,i dont really think there is anything better in this range or a little higher , thats how good it is. i m paying like $200 now to install a masking system for the black bars, so it ll be even better, i got a great price for it from craig from AVscience.
i know the 540 is better, but didnt want to pay $1500 more for it since i upgrade frequently and once jvc releases a native 4k with this level of contrast and affordable i m going all in.
Someone tell me more about a masking system that only costs $200 please. I have one based on panels sliding up and down manually on tension bars that I built, but that low price point sure has me curious.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Someone tell me more about a masking system that only costs $200 please. I have one based on panels sliding up and down manually on tension bars that I built, but that low price point sure has me curious.
i just got mine installed yesterday, it cost me $100 with installation, if i wanted it automated with a remote i would ve paid extra $250 for it so i didnt think its worth it since i have to manually close my side drapes when i use the PJ so might as well bring it down manually too and save the money lol.

Mine is masking from the top , not sure if ur looking for side masking but if u are u can use the same solution but with 2 small drapes installed on the sides, it ll cost roughly the same.

Let me tell u this though, the picture got even better with the masking, i watched yesterday Creed 4k and Blade Runner 2049, these 2 movies have some tough dark scenes to render, and they looked phenomenal, i was mesmerized by the picture quality,i m using a tweaked settings for HDR and i have my lamp on low since its plenty bright already with the adjusted settings (was a little dim with default and got better with custom gamma curves but playing with picture tone/dark-white level i got a very satisfying HDR image that doesnt even need lamp on high).

i attached some pics of the masking for u to get an idea.(phone pics so not very good quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180131_130738.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	514.2 KB
ID:	2354286   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180131_130812.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	2354288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180131_133239.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	2354298  
jpbonadio likes this.

Last edited by tnaik4; 01-31-2018 at 03:36 AM.
tnaik4 is online now  
post #213 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
i just got mine installed yesterday, it cost me $100 with installation, if i wanted it automated with a remote i would ve paid extra $250 for it so i didnt think its worth it since i have to manually close my side drapes when i use the PJ so might as well bring it down manually too and save the money lol.

Mine is masking from the top , not sure if ur looking for side masking but if u are u can use the same solution but with 2 small drapes installed on the sides, it ll cost roughly the same.


i attached some pics of the masking for u to get an idea.(phone pics so not very good quality)
Do you have a link for this product? Is it masking from the top only?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Do you have a link for this product? Is it masking from the top only?
No , i just went to my local drapes store and chose the fabric material and color and told them what i want, i have it on the top only since i use lens shift to lower the image to hide the buttom black bar outside the frame into the black velvet on the wall and then i lower the masking to hide the top bar( which is now double the size).
U can do one from the buttom too if u want, i live in the middle east and this was easy 2 days process, u should be able to do it pretty fast.
tnaik4 is online now  
post #215 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,358
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6573 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I agree, that the Stewart is like Mercedes/Lexus. It’s just that Stewart and some others charge Bugatti Veyron prices. I honestly can’t think of any industries more full of snake oil than the A/V industry. Not that Stewart is snake oil, they are the sort of the gold standard for a reason I’m sure. It’s just that the performance gain is not reasonably proportional to the added cost. If it was only billionaires buying them it wouldn’t bother me as much. It just bums me out when I see somebody on a budget large or small put too much priority on a screen at the expense of other areas that would be much more beneficial. Akin to buying $200 speakers so you can afford $2,000 cables. These are just my opinions
Everyone has their own opinion I guess. Buy what makes you happy though, you only get one go around.....These people you mention who put to much $$$ into there screen "could have" potentially been given bad advise depending on the price points....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #216 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,067
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Everyone has their own opinion I guess. Buy what makes you happy though, you only get one go around.....These people you mention who put to much $$$ into there screen "could have" potentially been given bad advise depending on the price points....
I think it is the projector manufacturers who are abusing price points, more than the screen guys.
Though the PJ MFR's do have a much much higher cost of manufacturing.

Some of these projectors they price them double or quadruple and purposefully limit the lower models in the MFR process.

We have to remember though, that if this process were not occurring, there would likely NOT be enough money in it for Sony and JVC to keep going, they'd bail out of the HT market much like Panasonic, Sanyo, Mitsubishi, and many of the other brands have done.

IF only it were just this industry, but really it's everything to where any proprietary nature forms or oligopoly or whatever.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 01-31-2018 at 11:50 AM.
coderguy is offline  
post #217 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
I own a Stewart ST100 and I will always stay married to this fabric as I hate screen texture and sparklies - very sensitive to seeing them. When Carada used to make screens, I had compared samples with the BW and CCW as well as Da-Lite 0.9 and 1.1. The ST100 was hands down the smoothest even compared to the CCW which was very good for the money, but even at the same 1.0 gain, the ST100 was more vibrant with color in comparison as well as smoother. Worth the extra money to me, but to each his own.
Toe and coderguy like this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #218 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,698
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
I've owned Severtsen, Carada (owned both the CCW and BW), Stewart and my current Da Lite 2.8. Stewart screens are worth every cent IMO and I loved the two I owned (a 1.78 and later a 2.35 both with ST130 G3). God forbid nothing happens to my 2.8, but if I have to move to another screen in the future, I'd buy a Stewart with the ST100.
DavidHir and coderguy like this.
Toe is online now  
post #219 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,067
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I've owned Severtsen, Carada (owned both the CCW and BW), Stewart and my current Da Lite 2.8. Stewart screens are worth every cent IMO and I loved the two I owned (a 1.78 and later a 2.35 both with ST130 G3). God forbid nothing happens to my 2.8, but if I have to move to another screen in the future, I'd buy a Stewart with the ST100.
Yup, too bad I ordered my HP right after they went to the 2.4. But none-the-less, it's damaged anyhow, so although I am still using it, I will need to change sooner or later.

I don't see myself paying Stewart prices, but Elunevision maybe.

The only HP's I know that still exist, are the 2.4's PureBright Reference 4K by Elunevision, but only a few dealers have any stock left, and be prepared to pay out the Wazoo. I figure it's not worth it unless it were the HP 2.8.
Toe likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #220 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,698
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Yup, too bad I ordered my HP right after they went to the 2.4. But none-the-less, it's damaged anyhow, so although I am still using it, I will need to change sooner or later.

I don't see myself paying Stewart prices, but Elunevision maybe.

The only HP's I know that still exist, are the 2.4's PureBright Reference 4K by Elunevision, but only a few dealers have any stock left, and be prepared to pay out the Wazoo. I figure it's not worth it unless it were the HP 2.8.
I liked the 2.4 as well when I compared them, but I liked the 2.8 more for my needs/setup. One nice thing about the 2.4 is it doesn't drop off as fast as the 2.8.
Toe is online now  
post #221 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'm thinking about getting this projector. My throw will be about 16ft to Carada ccw screen will this work for HDR?

jsil is offline  
post #222 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
I'm thinking about getting this projector. My throw will be about 16ft to Carada ccw screen will this work for HDR?
Screen size? What does your room look like?
DavidHir is offline  
post #223 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It's a family room with dark grey ceiling and dark red walls and will watch movie's at night. Keeping my Benq w1070 for watching everything else. Screen size 106".


Last edited by jsil; 01-31-2018 at 06:59 PM.
jsil is offline  
post #224 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
And your screen size?

Edit: I see you added it.

You should be okay with high lamp mode for HDR.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-31-2018 at 07:03 PM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #225 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi, DavidHir

Thanks for your reply. I had Chad B here at my place doing the audio calibration. I see that he did the calibration on your JVC how did that go? What player are you using for watching movie's?

jsil is offline  
post #226 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Hi, DavidHir

Thanks for your reply. I had Chad B here at my place doing the audio calibration. I see that he did the calibration on your JVC how did that go? What player are you using for watching movie's?
That cal went great. He also did my audio some time back (nice improvement over the Audyssey auto cal). The Arve tool curve he created for HDR is much better than the out-of-box HDR setting. Color and shadow detail is improved and really superb now. I had been using a UB900 and Oppo 203. I recently sold off my UB900 and will be using the Oppo exclusively going forward.
DavidHir is offline  
post #227 of 940 Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've got to agree I thought it sounded good but once he got done and we did some demo's. It sounded so much better .

jsil is offline  
post #228 of 940 Old 02-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Hi guys, i have a small issue i want to ask if anyone has an answer to it, my projector is pretty good regarding uniformity/convergence/focus accross the screen... just have small issue with the shift, everytime i turn on the PJ the whole picture is shifted up by 1-2cm, after 40min to an hour it ll settle back down, is that normal?
Thanks

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is online now  
post #229 of 940 Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
I haven't noticed it on my RS440, but I've seen it on my previous JVCs.
DavidHir is offline  
post #230 of 940 Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 AM
Member
 
Duddits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Epson 5040ub or this Jvc RS-440.
Today I have an 5040ub but have had dustproblems 4 times and now I can either can get one new unit or pay the differance to the RS440 (closed optics).
Is the 440 much better?
Duddits is offline  
post #231 of 940 Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post
Is the 440 much better?
Yes.
DavidHir is offline  
post #232 of 940 Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,115
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6841 Post(s)
Liked: 8064
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Hi guys, i have a small issue i want to ask if anyone has an answer to it, my projector is pretty good regarding uniformity/convergence/focus accross the screen... just have small issue with the shift, everytime i turn on the PJ the whole picture is shifted up by 1-2cm, after 40min to an hour it ll settle back down, is that normal?
Thanks
It can take 40 minutes for the projector to fully warm up, so that's probably why.
jsil likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #233 of 940 Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
zorax2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post
Epson 5040ub or this Jvc RS-440.
Today I have an 5040ub but have had dustproblems 4 times and now I can either can get one new unit or pay the differance to the RS440 (closed optics).
Is the 440 much better?
I checked out the 5040 at a local theater store which had it set up better than most other places I had seen one. I ended up getting a X790 / RS540 which I love and think is markedly better than the 5040 visually. I think the RS440 would be a great choice but see what you can find for pricing on the 540. The 540 is incredible and the extra features may prevent you from getting upgradeitis which will in the end save you money. I can see sticking with my X790 for a long while as I just don't anything coming down the line at a suitable price point that would make it worth upgrading. I think the law of diminishing returns really comes into play with the RS540 / X790 in that any incremental improvements in picture quality are going to be very small and very expensive at the same time.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
zorax2 is offline  
post #234 of 940 Old 02-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
mpauline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Someone tell me more about a masking system that only costs $200 please. I have one based on panels sliding up and down manually on tension bars that I built, but that low price point sure has me curious.
I am also curious about the masking system. It is the first time that I have actually cared about one because none of my previous projectors were this bright.
mpauline is offline  
post #235 of 940 Old 02-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Now after having 100hours on the projector, i did calibrate SDR using chromapure and i1d3 and the result is stunning!! i m getting 24000:1 native contrast with lamp low and manual iris-10, i i can get more but my meter struggles a little to read such low black level since closing the iris more or activating DI auto1 visibly gives darker black but the meter reads the same.

After i did the masking system to hide black bars i m really stunned by the picture quality, i m not sure how to discribe it but it feels like the picture has some depth to it with amazing blacks and contrast, make sure to watch ALTERED CARBON new series on netflix, it will really show what this projector is capable of.
HDR also is really good using custom curves but depending on the title, some are very dark and i had the use madvr HDR to SDR2020 conversion to have a great picture.
What really surprised me is how great 1080p content looks using madvr(1080ti) to upscale.
I need to stop using this PJ so often to save lamp hours lol, i didnt turn on my OLED c6 last 3 weeks since i got this 440.
This was my 1st jvc ever after owning many different projectors before, i m a big fan now and cant wait to see what they ll introduce in the next 2-3 years.
sam143569 likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is online now  
post #236 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just got a X590R and I'm still in the process of setting it up. I'm looking for settings recommendations to maximize contrast and black level.

My JVC is in a basement with no outside light sources, but with a white ceiling and some light colored walls. I only use it at night with all of the lights off. I didn't buy a screen yet (currently using a white tablecloth). I will soon, but it'll most likely be a budget white screen. It needs to be retractable, which limits my options. I don't have the budget for an ALR screen or a pro calibration, and my wife won't let me touch the room, so no putting permanent or even temporary curtains or masking. The short story is I have zero lighting problems, but some reflection problems due to my ceiling and to a lesser extent, the walls.

Anyway, which settings can I tweak? I already used a WOW disc to set the brightness and contrast. I wanted to do color/tint, but I couldn't find the setting to make the JVC show only the blue color so I could adjust it. Anyone know where that setting is?

My lamp is set on low.

Should I be adjusting the Iris aperture down? If I do that, will the Iris now be manual and no longer automatically adjusting?

What should the Input Level be set to? (Currently on Auto.) I saw someone recommend "Super White" once, but I don't fully understand what that does.

Clear Black is currently set to Low.

Should the Graphics Mode be set to 4K or 2K when viewing a 2K source?

Are there recommended gamma settings or any recommended ways for eyeballing gamma? Or is gamma something that you shouldn't touch without real light meters and equipment?'
ed3120 is offline  
post #237 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,293
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I just got a X590R and I'm still in the process of setting it up. I'm looking for settings recommendations to maximize contrast and black level.

My JVC is in a basement with no outside light sources, but with a white ceiling and some light colored walls. I only use it at night with all of the lights off. I didn't buy a screen yet (currently using a white tablecloth). I will soon, but it'll most likely be a budget white screen. It needs to be retractable, which limits my options. I don't have the budget for an ALR screen or a pro calibration, and my wife won't let me touch the room, so no putting permanent or even temporary curtains or masking. The short story is I have zero lighting problems, but some reflection problems due to my ceiling and to a lesser extent, the walls.

Anyway, which settings can I tweak? I already used a WOW disc to set the brightness and contrast. I wanted to do color/tint, but I couldn't find the setting to make the JVC show only the blue color so I could adjust it. Anyone know where that setting is?

My lamp is set on low.

Should I be adjusting the Iris aperture down? If I do that, will the Iris now be manual and no longer automatically adjusting?

What should the Input Level be set to? (Currently on Auto.) I saw someone recommend "Super White" once, but I don't fully understand what that does.

Clear Black is currently set to Low.

Should the Graphics Mode be set to 4K or 2K when viewing a 2K source?

Are there recommended gamma settings or any recommended ways for eyeballing gamma? Or is gamma something that you shouldn't touch without real light meters and equipment?'
That is too bad you cannot touch the room as you are not going to get anywhere near this projector's potential. On top of that, not going with a decent ALR screen in these conditions will make it worse. I'm not sure how this projector is going to work for you in this situation. Can you at least try putting velvet around the screen once you get it? Try to get something more than 1.0 gain. You are likely not going to benefit from HDR. No offense, but I cannot see a projector working well at all in this situation - it sounds almost like the worse case scenario.

You need to buy a screen before you get into settings. Based on what you're saying about the room, you're going to probably need high lamp and I would not go very large at all because you are going to need as much brightness as possible. Maybe aim for around 90-100" at most and try to mount the projector as close as possible to the screen to maximize brightness. You're probably also going to have to keep the iris wide open. But, you'll just have to experiment once you get it.

For settings, just use standard mode, 6500K, custom gamma 2.3 or 2.4. Don't turn on Superwhite in your case. I don't like most processing, so I turn off the other stuff. Don't worry about graphics mode...just leave it at default.

Last edited by DavidHir; 02-08-2018 at 07:43 AM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #238 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,067
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post
Epson 5040ub or this Jvc RS-440.
Today I have an 5040ub but have had dustproblems 4 times and now I can either can get one new unit or pay the differance to the RS440 (closed optics).
Is the 440 much better?
Way better, go for it, but of course the RS-520 or RS-540 is even another step up. Still, the 440 is a big step up from the Epson.

Also, people should consider CIH instead of 16:9 screens. I was VERY stubborn in sticking with a 16:9 screen for many many years, but now I'm a total convert.
2.35 is way more immersive and I can watch a bigger screen now because wider is better than taller as far as less intrusive.

Go for the 2.35 and the RS-440 or /520/540, it's a killer setup.
tnaik4 likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #239 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,162
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12279 Post(s)
Liked: 9889
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
I checked out the 5040 at a local theater store which had it set up better than most other places I had seen one. I ended up getting a X790 / RS540 which I love and think is markedly better than the 5040 visually. I think the RS440 would be a great choice but see what you can find for pricing on the 540. The 540 is incredible and the extra features may prevent you from getting upgradeitis which will in the end save you money. I can see sticking with my X790 for a long while as I just don't anything coming down the line at a suitable price point that would make it worth upgrading. I think the law of diminishing returns really comes into play with the RS540 / X790 in that any incremental improvements in picture quality are going to be very small and very expensive at the same time.
I would also consider pairing a last year's model JVC with an Oppo BD player. Let the Oppo do the tone mapping, rather than the projector. You would get use of the dynamic iris with HDR that way.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #240 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
gravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would also consider pairing a last year's model JVC with an Oppo BD player. Let the Oppo do the tone mapping, rather than the projector. You would get use of the dynamic iris with HDR that way.
Considering replacing my Sony X800 with the Oppo to pair with my RS420. The default HDR mode on the 420 using the ST2084 gamma is decent, but do you think the results with Oppo will be significantly better? Is that primarily sue to the DI enablement? Or a combination of things?
gravi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off