Official JVC DLA-RS440 (DLA-X5900) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #241 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would also consider pairing a last year's model JVC with an Oppo BD player. Let the Oppo do the tone mapping, rather than the projector. You would get use of the dynamic iris with HDR that way.
I am considering current year's entry model vs prior year's mid model. Is e-shift5 vs e-shift4 a significant improvement?

Coderguy: completely agree with the 2.35 setup. Would never consider a 16:9 screen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I just got a X590R and I'm still in the process of setting it up. I'm looking for settings recommendations to maximize contrast and black level.

My JVC is in a basement with no outside light sources, but with a white ceiling and some light colored walls. I only use it at night with all of the lights off. I didn't buy a screen yet (currently using a white tablecloth). I will soon, but it'll most likely be a budget white screen. It needs to be retractable, which limits my options. I don't have the budget for an ALR screen or a pro calibration, and my wife won't let me touch the room, so no putting permanent or even temporary curtains or masking. The short story is I have zero lighting problems, but some reflection problems due to my ceiling and to a lesser extent, the walls.

Anyway, which settings can I tweak? I already used a WOW disc to set the brightness and contrast. I wanted to do color/tint, but I couldn't find the setting to make the JVC show only the blue color so I could adjust it. Anyone know where that setting is?

My lamp is set on low.

Should I be adjusting the Iris aperture down? If I do that, will the Iris now be manual and no longer automatically adjusting?

What should the Input Level be set to? (Currently on Auto.) I saw someone recommend "Super White" once, but I don't fully understand what that does.

Clear Black is currently set to Low.

Should the Graphics Mode be set to 4K or 2K when viewing a 2K source?

Are there recommended gamma settings or any recommended ways for eyeballing gamma? Or is gamma something that you shouldn't touch without real light meters and equipment?'
That is too bad you cannot touch the room as you are not going to get anywhere near this projector's potential. On top of that, not going with a decent ALR screen in these conditions will make it worse. I'm not sure how this projector is going to work for you in this situation. Can you at least try putting velvet around the screen once you get it? Try to get something more than 1.0 gain. You are likely not going to benefit from HDR. No offense, but I cannot see a projector working well at all in this situation - it sounds almost like the worse case scenario.

You need to buy a screen before you get into settings. Based on what you're saying about the room, you're going to probably need high lamp and I would not go very large at all because you are going to need as much brightness as possible. Maybe aim for around 90-100" at most and try to mount the projector as close as possible to the screen to maximize brightness. You're probably also going to have to keep the iris wide open. But, you'll just have to experiment once you get it.

For settings, just use standard mode, 6500K, custom gamma 2.3 or 2.4. Don't turn on Superwhite in your case. I don't like most processing, so I turn off the other stuff. Don't worry about graphics mode...just leave it at default.
Geez, you make it sound hopeless.

It?s still a dark room with no lights. Nobody uses this projector in an untreated media room without an ALR screen?

The projector is definitely bright enough right now, shooting at 125? onto a tablecloth that I?m sure is leaking light. HDR is bright and colorful too. My projector throw distance is 14 feet.
post #243 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Hi, DavidHir

Thanks for your reply. I had Chad B here at my place doing the audio calibration. I see that he did the calibration on your JVC how did that go? What player are you using for watching movie's?
How did you like the audio calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 12258 Post(s)
Liked: 9856
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Considering replacing my Sony X800 with the Oppo to pair with my RS420. The default HDR mode on the 420 using the ST2084 gamma is decent, but do you think the results with Oppo will be significantly better? Is that primarily sue to the DI enablement? Or a combination of things?
I have not compared the 420 stock HDR to the Oppo tone mapping. But my money would be on the Oppo tone mapping and getting the dynamic iris is a bonus.
post #245 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:

It?s still a dark room with no lights. Nobody uses this projector in an untreated media room without an ALR screen?

The projector is definitely bright enough right now, shooting at 125? onto a tablecloth that I?m sure is leaking light. HDR is bright and colorful too. My projector throw distance is 14 feet.
I have a JVC in a nearly white room, shooting onto a 1.3 gain 127" diag. 16:9 FireHawk screen and the image is very good. Blacks look black. Now the room is pretty large, so reflections are not as bad as with a smaller room. Nearest side wall is 6' and the white ceiling is 8/9' from top of the screen. Granted it is not as good as my black pit of a dedicated room, but still very good black levels and contrast in the white room.
post #246 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
I have a JVC in a nearly white room, shooting onto a 1.3 gain 127" diag. 16:9 FireHawk screen and the image is very good. Blacks look black. Now the room is pretty large, so reflections are not as bad as with a smaller room. Nearest side wall is 6' and the white ceiling is 8/9' from top of the screen. Granted it is not as good as my black pit of a dedicated room, but still very good black levels and contrast in the white room.
But he's looking at no kind of light reflecting screen.
post #247 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Just putting a projector in all white room with no treatment, no type of screen for that situation, etc. is not going to yield good results, but that's just my take. Hope it works out for you.
post #248 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
But he's looking at no kind of light reflecting screen.
I agree, as far as the white screen. Only other screen I have had in this white room was a 2.8 gain High Power.
post #249 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just putting a projector in all white room with no treatment, no type of screen for that situation, etc. is not going to yield good results, but that's just my take. Hope it works out for you.
I realized that my response may have looked like I was offended. I'm not. I appreciate all feedback, so thank you for yours. I think maybe the way I described it, it sounds like it's an all white room with close side walls. It's not as bad as that...I'll explain.

I have dark green walls directly around the screen, but white bookcases about 12" on each side. However, the books cases are inset and start about 3 inches behind the screen. (If you look at the top view of the diagram, you'll see that the screen is actually closer to the viewer than the bookcases.) So light doesn't reflect directly from the white bookcases to the screen, unless the light makes a u-turn. Light bouncing off the bookcases to would have to bounce off of something else before hitting my screen. My left wall is mostly a tannish yellow, but it's about 6 feet from the left of the screen. The right side, past the right bookcase is a hallway, so there is no light bouncing from there. On the floor is a big fuzzy gray carpet. So I don't really think I have that bad of a wall or floor problem.

I'm sure my biggest problem is my white ceiling, 6" above the screen. My basement has 6' 8" ceilings, so there isn't much I can do without using a smaller screen, which I'm not willing to do. After a month of staring at a 125" image, I'd never want to go much smaller. I've been trying to think of a way to put some black velvet on the ceiling in front of the screen, but I can't think of a way to make something that wouldn't sag and at the same time be light enough to easily put up and down and not fall due to it's own weight.

The funny thing is that my black level is consistent across the screen. I would think that due to the white ceiling and dark gray carpet, I would see a much worse black level at the top of the screen than I do at the bottom. That makes me wonder just how much the white ceiling is contributing to black level, and how much of a difference it would make for me to somehow blackout the first 3 or so feet of the ceiling, while leaving everything else the same.

I'm only dealing with reflections and not a consistent external light source, which would be much worse. For example, if you are fighting against a bright open window, and you are watching a dark scene, you've obviously got a big problem. But for me, during a dark scene, there is less light coming out of the projector, and therefore less light bouncing off of my ceiling. During a bright scene, my ceiling lights up more, but at least I have the bright colors to trick my mind into perceiving the gray parts of the screen as closer to black than they really are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater.png
Views:	109
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	2357982  
post #250 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I realized that my response may have looked like I was offended. I'm not. I appreciate all feedback, so thank you for yours. I think maybe the way I described it, it sounds like it's an all white room with close side walls. It's not as bad as that...I'll explain.

I have dark green walls directly around the screen, but white bookcases about 12" on each side. However, the books cases are inset and start about 3 inches behind the screen. (If you look at the top view of the diagram, you'll see that the screen is actually closer to the viewer than the bookcases.) So light doesn't reflect directly from the white bookcases to the screen, unless the light makes a u-turn. Light bouncing off the bookcases to would have to bounce off of something else before hitting my screen. My left wall is mostly a tannish yellow, but it's about 6 feet from the left of the screen. The right side, past the right bookcase is a hallway, so there is no light bouncing from there. On the floor is a big fuzzy gray carpet. So I don't really think I have that bad of a wall or floor problem.

I'm sure my biggest problem is my white ceiling, 6" above the screen. My basement has 6' 8" ceilings, so there isn't much I can do without using a smaller screen, which I'm not willing to do. After a month of staring at a 125" image, I'd never want to go much smaller. I've been trying to think of a way to put some black velvet on the ceiling in front of the screen, but I can't think of a way to make something that wouldn't sag and at the same time be light enough to easily put up and down and not fall due to it's own weight.

The funny thing is that my black level is consistent across the screen. I would think that due to the white ceiling and dark gray carpet, I would see a much worse black level at the top of the screen than I do at the bottom. That makes me wonder just how much the white ceiling is contributing to black level, and how much of a difference it would make for me to somehow blackout the first 3 or so feet of the ceiling, while leaving everything else the same.

I'm only dealing with reflections and not a consistent external light source, which would be much worse. For example, if you are fighting against a bright open window, and you are watching a dark scene, you've obviously got a big problem. But for me, during a dark scene, there is less light coming out of the projector, and therefore less light bouncing off of my ceiling. During a bright scene, my ceiling lights up more, but at least I have the bright colors to trick my mind into perceiving the gray parts of the screen as closer to black than they really are.
Get two people to hold a dark blanket above the screen and see what that does to your image. That will clearly show you the effect of the white ceiling.
post #251 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Get two people to hold a dark blanket above the screen and see what that does to your image. That will clearly show you the effect of the white ceiling.
Not a bad idea, but my kids are young and therefore too short, and my wife thinks I'm an idiot for even worrying about this stuff. I'll have to call in some reinforcements.
Mike Garrett and rdlohr like this.
post #252 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Not a bad idea, but my kids are young and therefore too short, and my wife thinks I'm an idiot for even worrying about this stuff. I'll have to call in some reinforcements.
I think you will be shocked at the difference. Once you see just how much of an improvement it is, call the wife down and show her.
post #253 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought an RS440. Just hope it is as good as people say
The 5040Ub did not disappoint in anyway, just the dustblobs and maybe the 10,2 gb limit.
I have an DNP screen 08-85 "100 inch and I have heard that this is also a good combination (with the 440).
post #254 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi, Cleveland Plasma

He did a very good job on the audio calibration. It just sounds so much better it's hard to describe.

post #255 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Way better, go for it, but of course the RS-520 or RS-540 is even another step up. Still, the 440 is a big step up from the Epson.

Also, people should consider CIH instead of 16:9 screens. I was VERY stubborn in sticking with a 16:9 screen for many many years, but now I'm a total convert.
2.35 is way more immersive and I can watch a bigger screen now because wider is better than taller as far as less intrusive.

Go for the 2.35 and the RS-440 or /520/540, it's a killer setup.
i have 16:9 aspect ratio 135inch screen, but did a masking system to hide those black bars and i 100% agree with u that 2:35.1 is amazing, but some movies that been shot in IMAX have some scenes that fill the whole screen and to be honest it looks spectacular when it does,i keep hearing about A lens that convert it to 2:35.1 and can have 20-30% extra brightness but its way too expensive, not sure if its worth it.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #256 of 940 Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post
I am considering current year's entry model vs prior year's mid model. Is e-shift5 vs e-shift4 a significant improvement?
There are a number of comparisons in the 540 / 640 thread. My take is that there is not a substantial / significant improvement based on what I read in that thread. It also depends on the content that you are viewing.

You may want to post in the 540 / 640 thread as to whether you should get last year's mid-model vs. this year's entry model. The people on that thread are incredibly knowledgeable and I'm sure could help you determine the best choice for your needs.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #257 of 940 Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Check out/search the 'Blacker theater' thread - various ways listed to put black velvet on the the wall.
post #258 of 940 Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Check out/search the 'Blacker theater' thread - various ways listed to put black velvet on the the wall.
Yea, that thread is crazy, I started skimming it a few days ago for future ideas. Lot of creative thinkers in there and downright black hole, dark abyss fanatics
post #259 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 AM

guys i have a question for JVC experienced owners, my room is 70% black velvet treatment except the 30% of the back of the room, does the JVC RS440 has enough contrast to benefit from blacking out that extra 30%? i know the higher models 540/640 will surely benefit from it but those have 3times higher contrast or more. would really appreciate some advise before going through the process and ending up with no benefit whatsoever.
thanks

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #260 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
guys i have a question for JVC experienced owners, my room is 70% black velvet treatment except the 30% of the back of the room, does the JVC RS440 has enough contrast to benefit from blacking out that extra 30%? i know the higher models 540/640 will surely benefit from it but those have 3times higher contrast or more. would really appreciate some advise before going through the process and ending up with no benefit whatsoever.
thanks
The improvement will be smaller, but can be worthwhile. My room is completely painted with Rosco black velour with Protostar up front along with velvet around my front speaker and subs. The Rosco is excellent at absorbing light especially for a paint, but will not match velvet. But for the back of the room it should be fine. You can see the difference here in my photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2359952
post #261 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello
I enjoy my Sony VPL-HW45ES for 1.5 years. Coming from LED 4K TV, I was not sure if projectors were for me but now, i am really addicted and i consider resale it to get the JVC DLA-X590R. Unfortunately, the DLA540/X790R is over my budget (4K$ max)..

Would you consider the RS440/X590R a noticeable upgrade over the VPL HW45ES ? My dedicated room is almost 100% black.

Daniel

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
Sony VPL-HW45ES, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
post #262 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Hi, Cleveland Plasma

He did a very good job on the audio calibration. It just sounds so much better it's hard to describe.
If only people new what type of impact it did, they would possibly consider it more than a video calibration......
post #263 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandion View Post
Hello
I enjoy my Sony VPL-HW45ES for 1.5 years. Coming from LED 4K TV, I was not sure if projectors were for me but now, i am really addicted and i consider resale it to get the JVC DLA-X590R. Unfortunately, the DLA540/X790R is over my budget (4K$ max)..

Would you consider the RS440/X590R a noticeable upgrade over the VPL HW45ES ? My dedicated room is almost 100% black.

Daniel
I had the sony HW40ES which is very close to the 45ES and i upgraded recently the the RS440, the jump in picture quality/depth/contrast.... was eye opening!! and made me feel like i waisted all that money before on inferior projectors.
that is my first JVC and its in a whole different league than the sony, the black level is very very good, i wacthed gravity 3D first on it to try the blacks that everyone keeps talking about and it was brilliant!! u have to have a good room though to really take advantage of it.
So without a doubt is a BIG jump from ur sony.
Jive Turkey likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #264 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The improvement will be smaller, but can be worthwhile. My room is completely painted with Rosco black velour with Protostar up front along with velvet around my front speaker and subs. The Rosco is excellent at absorbing light especially for a paint, but will not match velvet. But for the back of the room it should be fine. You can see the difference here in my photo.

Attachment 2359952
My room is close to ur room from that pic, i have everything black velvet treated( velvet drapes accross the side walls/ velvet on half the ceiling/floor).
So David from ur reply u think if i finished treating the last remaining 30%, the RS440 would benefit and make a difference even if its not a big one?
thanks for ur help.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #265 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I had the sony HW40ES which is very close to the 45ES and i upgraded recently the the RS440, the jump in picture quality/depth/contrast.... was eye opening!! and made me feel like i waisted all that money before on inferior projectors.
that is my first JVC and its in a whole different league than the sony, the black level is very very good, i wacthed gravity 3D first on it to try the blacks that everyone keeps talking about and it was brilliant!! u have to have a good room though to really take advantage of it.
So without a doubt is a BIG jump from ur sony.
Thanks for your feedback. I might have a good price for my 45ES on the used market.

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
Sony VPL-HW45ES, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
post #266 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
Hello

Daniel
totally agree with tnaik4, even though I got the RS420, it is my first JVC projector, and also coming from a Sony 40 ES....it is just that awesome!
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #267 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Hello

Daniel
If the RS540 is over your budget, then I would look for an RS520. Being last year's model and discontinued, you will be able to find it at a much lower price. The 440 is a big jump over the 45.
post #268 of 940 Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
My room is close to ur room from that pic, i have everything black velvet treated( velvet drapes accross the side walls/ velvet on half the ceiling/floor).
So David from ur reply u think if i finished treating the last remaining 30%, the RS440 would benefit and make a difference even if its not a big one?
thanks for ur help.
It's hard to say just because my room was painted before I turned on my first projector (RS4810). I would guess it helps just because there is less light or reflection getting reflected back to the screen...hard to say how much exactly. If it's not a huge hassle, maybe try a dark flat paint - Rosco is probably best to use.
post #269 of 940 Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I've been following this thread for a while and have a couple of questions for all the lucky RS440 owners. I have had the projector for a couple of weeks know and am finally ready to have it ceiling mounted. Have been considering the Chief RPMA281 that was linked a few pages back (unable to post links yet as this is my first post). Would I need a mounting plate and possibly an extension to go along with the other hardware?
post #270 of 940 Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotel View Post
Hi, I've been following this thread for a while and have a couple of questions for all the lucky RS440 owners. I have had the projector for a couple of weeks know and am finally ready to have it ceiling mounted. Have been considering the Chief RPMA281 that was linked a few pages back (unable to post links yet as this is my first post). Would I need a mounting plate and possibly an extension to go along with the other hardware?
That chief mount should have the mounting bracket to attach the projector to the mount. Depending on your drop you will need a 1.5" drop tube and a ceiling mount plate. If you have a vault or angled ceiling you need a different mount plate (one that handles the angle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc projector , projector , projector help , projector screen advice , room correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page