The Great JVC vs. Sony Projector Shootout - Dec. 9 and 10 - No price talk, please! - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 665Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Thought I'd have some fun here and try and illustrate what exactly is being discussed when we get into the weeds with the whole brightness vs. color vs. contrast vs. resolution argument. I have some footage I took with the (justifiably) well reviewed Panasonic GH5 true 4K camera, shooting at a high frame rate (60 fps) in Las Vegas during CES. I wanted to get some demo footage of my own - footage that would really show off the differences in fine detail you get when shooting native 4K. The Las Vegas Strip at night is ideal for capturing images with tremendous amounts of fine detail and contrast, with all the city lights juxtaposed against the dark of night. So, below I am going to post some variations of a single frame from the footage. I did some minimal tweaks to each image. If you feel so inspired, please let me know which image looks best to you. Suggest that you don't spend massive amounts of time studying each image, just go with which image simply looks the best. Feel free to rank in order of preference.

IMPORTANT NOTE: None of these images should be construed to be representative of the differences between the JVC and Sony projectors - all of these images are the result of processing applied to the original screen capture to illustrate what differences can be seen by tweaking contrast, color, brightness, etc.

Also suggest clicking on the attachments so you can examine the images at full resolution (3840 x 2160) vs. viewing them within the post. Alternatively, download them to your desktop:

Image 1:



Image 2:



Image 3:



Image 4:



Image 5:



Image 6:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas2.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2358974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas1.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2358976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas3.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2358978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas4.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2358980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas5.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2358982  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas6.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2358984  
movieloverAL likes this.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Image 1 looks like log.

Image 5 looks the best, and is also the sharpest, but is almost identical to 3, there is an incredibly slight difference in highlight brightness between 5 and 3, but its there to keen eyes, there is a resolution difference between the two which is probably actually the reason for that.

Image 6 has the lowest resolution of the other two above, all three colour grades otherwise identical.

The rest are crud

Image 4 looks like you would see on a display where its not setup to clip proper black levels or cannot handle HDR for eg.

image 2 looks like the person would need to calibrate, and, or, change the projector lamp.

p.s well aware you did all this in photoshop.
John Schuermann likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #603 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Image 1 looks like log.

Image 5 looks the best, and is also the sharpest, but is almost identical to 3, there is an incredibly slight difference in highlight brightness between 5 and 3, but its there to keen eyes, there is a resolution difference between the two which is probably actually the reason for that.

Image 6 has the lowest resolution of the other two above, all three colour grades otherwise identical.

The rest are crud

Image 4 looks like you would see on a display where its not setup to clip proper black levels or cannot handle HDR for eg.

image 2 looks like the person would need to calibrate, and, or, change the projector lamp.

p.s well aware you did all this in photoshop.
Not quite Photoshop, but close

Was trying to show the same image keeping in mind the SMPTE test that ranked the various elements that made up what we perceive as picture quality - brightness, contrast, color and resolution. So, all I did in each was adjust those four factors, nothing else. No changes to color balance (other than to drain color out), gamma, etc.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #604 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,812
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5696 Post(s)
Liked: 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I've got a 10ft seating distance, 110" 16:9 screen, dark flat paint, all light blocked, so I would not need the brightness from a laser unit, and should be fine running a 385 or 640 on low lamp. Heck, at that distance I might not even be able to see the resolution improvement for true 4k. Maybe I should just find the best 1080p/3D projector available
Yep totally agree here. I have 135" at 8 feet and that's about where it needs to be to appreciate the 4k over eshift 4k in my opinion. Otherwise, may as well go with the benefits the 640 has over the 385 such as absolutely black blacks, better contrast, full 4k/60/4.4.4 input etc. In your case, I'd even consider a 540 or a 520 to be better than a 385es so it gives you a ton of room to look around for a deal.
MOberhardt likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #605 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Image 1 looks like log.

Image 5 looks the best, and is also the sharpest, but is almost identical to 3, there is an incredibly slight difference in highlight brightness between 5 and 3, but its there to keen eyes, there is a resolution difference between the two which is probably actually the reason for that.

Image 6 has the lowest resolution of the other two above, all three colour grades otherwise identical.

The rest are crud

Image 4 looks like you would see on a display where its not setup to clip proper black levels or cannot handle HDR for eg.

image 2 looks like the person would need to calibrate, and, or, change the projector lamp.

p.s well aware you did all this in photoshop.
If you get a chance, can you PM me to let me know what the "tells" were for you? (Other than the obvious ones, thanks!)

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
post #606 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
If you get a chance, can you PM me to let me know what the "tells" were for you? (Other than the obvious ones, thanks!)
You dont want me to post it here?

Also, you didn't say if I was right or not?

Was I spot on regarding 3, 5, 6?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #607 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
You dont want me to post it here?

Also, you didn't say if I was right or not?

Was I spot on regarding 3, 5, 6?
Was just waiting for some others to weigh in before I revealed what was behind the curtain...
Javs likes this.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
post #608 of 729 Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,128
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
1 - gamma
2 - color
4 - low brightness
6- resolution

I can't tell the difference on my monitor between 3 and 5

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is offline  
post #609 of 729 Old 02-11-2018, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Webmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 48
very interesting thread!
John Schuermann likes this.
Webmonkey is offline  
post #610 of 729 Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Member
 
gregroland17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
very interesting thread!
Great thread, kudos to John, now if he would just reveal what?s behind the curtain, lol. I agree with the op on pics 3,5 and 6 looking the best.
John Schuermann likes this.
gregroland17 is offline  
post #611 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
OK, here we go:

Image 1 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, raised black level a few clicks (designed to illustrate a low contrast image but at 4K resolution)

Image 2 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, bled about 50% of the color out (designed to illustrate how color affects our perception of image quality)

Image 3 - reduced resolution by 25% to 2880 x 1620, then scaled back up to 3840 x 2160 (designed to represent essentially what you will see with a JVC e-shift projector, which puts approximately 4 million pixels on screen, but at high contrast and full color and brightness)

Image 4 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, reduced video levels to darken the image (designed to illustrate how overall brightness affects our perception of image quality)

Image 5 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, original, untouched

Image 6 - resolution reduced to 1080P, the scaled back up to 3840 x 2160 (designed to show how even 1080P resolution can look really good if the color, contrast and brightness are retained)

Hopefully this helps put things into perspective.

AGAIN, please keep in mind that this is not meant to be illustrative of the specific differences between the JVC and Sony projectors - it's more about illustrating the importance of contrast, brightness, color and resolution relative to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Suggest clicking on the attachments so you can examine the images at full resolution (3840 x 2160) vs. viewing them within the post. Alternatively, download them to your desktop:

Image 1:



Image 2:



Image 3:



Image 4:



Image 5:



Image 6:

Krak66 likes this.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
post #612 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Member
 
gregroland17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
OK, here we go:

Image 1 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, raised black level a few clicks (designed to illustrate a low contrast image but at 4K resolution)

Image 2 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, bled about 50% of the color out (designed to illustrate how color affects our perception of image quality)

Image 3 - reduced resolution by 25% to 2880 x 1620, then scaled back up to 3840 x 2160 (designed to represent essentially what you will see with a JVC e-shift projector, which puts approximately 4 million pixels on screen, but at high contrast and full color and brightness)

Image 4 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, reduced video levels to darken the image (designed to illustrate how overall brightness affects our perception of image quality)

Image 5 - full 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, original, untouched

Image 6 - resolution reduced to 1080P, the scaled back up to 3840 x 2160 (designed to show how even 1080P resolution can look really good if the color, contrast and brightness are retained)

Hopefully this helps put things into perspective.

AGAIN, please keep in mind that this is not meant to be illustrative of the specific differences between the JVC and Sony projectors - it's more about illustrating the importance of contrast, brightness, color and resolution relative to each other.
John - extremely interesting, thanks for doing this.
John Schuermann likes this.
gregroland17 is offline  
post #613 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 802
On the whole "vs" side, what is the overall usability for source material types, JVC vs Sony? I am following various JVC and Sony threads, including older models, and a lot of discussion on the JVC threads are using and programming HDFURY devices to trick the JVC into not doing something stupid, "something stupid" being the default JVC behavior. I have the chance to get a JVC 9000/600 new old stock under warranty ultra cheap, but after reading about all the extra hardware and tinkering I'd need to do, aside from getting a headache trying to make sense of it, I also start wondering why JVC seems to never fix anything in firmware, for obvious firmware issues. I mean that forced gamma d switching is just ludicrous. And firmware fixable.

Are the Sony units as badly supported and setup to cater for source material? I don't get that from the threads I am watching.

I'm a second generation software developer and have been playing with hardware and software as long as I can remember, as well as hobby in video areas, but this just seems both a lot of unnecessary complexity, as well as professionally insulting that JVC treat this area of their product with such utter disregard and unprofessionalism.
MOberhardt is online now  
post #614 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
On the whole "vs" side, what is the overall usability for source material types, JVC vs Sony? I am following various JVC and Sony threads, including older models, and a lot of discussion on the JVC threads are using and programming HDFURY devices to trick the JVC into not doing something stupid, "something stupid" being the default JVC behavior. I have the chance to get a JVC 9000/600 new old stock under warranty ultra cheap, but after reading about all the extra hardware and tinkering I'd need to do, aside from getting a headache trying to make sense of it, I also start wondering why JVC seems to never fix anything in firmware, for obvious firmware issues. I mean that forced gamma d switching is just ludicrous. And firmware fixable.

Are the Sony units as badly supported and setup to cater for source material? I don't get that from the threads I am watching.

I'm a second generation software developer and have been playing with hardware and software as long as I can remember, as well as hobby in video areas, but this just seems both a lot of unnecessary complexity, as well as professionally insulting that JVC treat this area of their product with such utter disregard and unprofessionalism.
You don't really "need" to do anything, what you are reading about is tweaks to fine tune performance for HDR based upon all that has been learned about HDR and projection since the model you refer to was released. As you might have read on AVS and elsewhere, projection is simply not capable of reproducing HDR content with the same kind of brightness one would get with a reference flat panel (say, a Sony Z series LCD), so some have tried some "tweaks" with tone mapping to get around that. There is also the problem that the movie studios themselves are releasing content with all kinds of different HDR mastering standards, which confuses things all the more. So, even if there was a "perfect" firmware update, sometimes you find you need to tweak picture settings since the mastering process may vary title to title. For example, even with the calibrated VW285ES, RS640 and RS4500 I have on hand, sometimes I need to adjust settings title to title.

The same "limitations" on HDR performance are there for any projection system outside of an actual Dolby Cinema, so you can find similar tweaks regarding the Sony projectors (the Arve tools, "German settings," etc).

Another thing to keep in mind - up until recently, Sony didn't have any 4K projectors under $10K, so there are far more HDR capable JVC projectors in the field vs. Sonys. That's changing now with the release of the VW385ES and VW285ES, so you will see more and more tweaks posted for them. The RS400 / 500 / 600 have been out for almost 3 years, so of course there is much more written about them.

My understanding is that the new Sonys will automatically switch between HDR and "normal" settings without a picture mode change. However, that's for the default Sony settings. If you go in and create a calibrated preset, you need to manually select it when changing source materials.

I understand your pain - it's part of being on the cutting edge of technology. :/

On the other side, think of all the people who bought 4K flat panels several years back and have no way to take advantage of HDR and WCG at all. Newer products are always going to have refinements.

FWIW, with my old RS600 I just created my own preset for HDR using GammaD, raised the dark level setting (under HDR gamma), and then just programmed a preset into my universal remote so it would switch automatically when playing HDR content.

Last point - we helped Harman put a VW885ES into their Revel / Mark Levinson training center in CA back in December. Kris Deering came out during Harman Academy and did some of the same kind of tweaks to Harman's VW885ES that you are talking about here (involving the VW885ES and an Oppo UHD player). Same issues - how projectors handle HDR - and same types of tweaks.

My take-away? HDR is an evolving technology, especially for projectors. And it will continue to evolve. No matter when someone decides to take the jump, there will always be a new product or tweak right around the corner.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
post #615 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Just chiming in for my opinion here.

I've been using the VW760ES right now since release, as one of the first owners. For me the choice was between this projector and the JVC 540/640.

I think what dissapoints me the most, and is a big pro on the JVC. Is not the projector but the content. It is difficult to find truly sharp content that actually does the VW760ES justice. Most of what I've seen has been dissapointingly low res to the point that I felt insulted I paid the money for it.

I would even go as far as saying, if you want to view UHD Blurays today, or streaming video. Don't look farther than the JVC. The content isn't good enough for native 4k, you won't see that much of a difference.

However, things are much more different when the content is good. Gaming here is really where the projector impresses, where everything looks incredibly sharp, smooth, just incredible. That's where I feel 4k is really 4k. Honestly, I've never seen things so beautiful as this.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
christoffeldg is offline  
post #616 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,054
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Just chiming in for my opinion here.

I've been using the VW760ES right now since release, as one of the first owners. For me the choice was between this projector and the JVC 540/640.

I think what dissapoints me the most, and is a big pro on the JVC. Is not the projector but the content. It is difficult to find truly sharp content that actually does the VW760ES justice. Most of what I've seen has been dissapointingly low res to the point that I felt insulted I paid the money for it.

I would even go as far as saying, if you want to view UHD Blurays today, or streaming video. Don't look farther than the JVC. The content isn't good enough for native 4k, you won't see that much of a difference.

However, things are much more different when the content is good. Gaming here is really where the projector impresses, where everything looks incredibly sharp, smooth, just incredible. That's where I feel 4k is really 4k. Honestly, I've never seen things so beautiful as this.
I have been really impressed with how Altered Carbon looks on the 760ES streamed over the Netflix app on the AppleTV4K passed through my Oppo 203 for tone mapping (SDR BT2020 conversion in Mode 2).
jbrinegar likes this.
Woof Woof is offline  
post #617 of 729 Old 02-12-2018, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
I have been really impressed with how Altered Carbon looks on the 760ES streamed over the Netflix app on the AppleTV4K passed through my Oppo 203 for tone mapping (SDR BT2020 conversion in Mode 2).
Altered Carbon is no BS probably some of the best HDR I have ever seen.
mtbdudex likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 02-12-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Javs is offline  
post #618 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Just chiming in for my opinion here.

I've been using the VW760ES right now since release, as one of the first owners. For me the choice was between this projector and the JVC 540/640.

I think what dissapoints me the most, and is a big pro on the JVC. Is not the projector but the content. It is difficult to find truly sharp content that actually does the VW760ES justice. Most of what I've seen has been dissapointingly low res to the point that I felt insulted I paid the money for it.

I would even go as far as saying, if you want to view UHD Blurays today, or streaming video. Don't look farther than the JVC. The content isn't good enough for native 4k, you won't see that much of a difference.

However, things are much more different when the content is good. Gaming here is really where the projector impresses, where everything looks incredibly sharp, smooth, just incredible. That's where I feel 4k is really 4k. Honestly, I've never seen things so beautiful as this.

And that's why you see so many reviews saying that the JVC eshifts are as good as the true 4k of the sonys... It's because the content isn't truly 4K... And why upscaled 2K looks almost identical to actual 4K of the same movie...

I guess, it'll take 3-5 years before you see truly shot in, mastered in, processed in 4k source materials for block buster movies... right now, it just cost too much to do much of the CGI effects in 4K... it's costing too much for them to do it in 2K in the first place...
John Schuermann likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #619 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,128
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
John,
Good test. It was interesting how you played with the resolution in 3 and 6. The first picture reminds me of the Barco 4k demo in '15. While watching the demo, I leaned over to Craig Peer and asked if it was the material or the pj. It was the pj and I don't remember anyone outside of Cineramax saying the image looked good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
And that's why you see so many reviews saying that the JVC eshifts are as good as the true 4k of the sonys... It's because the content isn't truly 4K... And why upscaled 2K looks almost identical to actual 4K of the same movie...

I guess, it'll take 3-5 years before you see truly shot in, mastered in, processed in 4k source materials for block buster movies... right now, it just cost too much to do much of the CGI effects in 4K... it's costing too much for them to do it in 2K in the first place...
It is also why JVC has said in the past that a native 4k wasn't a priority. I also remember my friend from VDC saying the lack of great source material didn't allow CRTs to show their full potential.
John Schuermann likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is offline  
post #620 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,096
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7485 Post(s)
Liked: 9070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
John,
Good test. It was interesting how you played with the resolution in 3 and 6. The first picture reminds me of the Barco 4k demo in '15. While watching the demo, I leaned over to Craig Peer and asked if it was the material or the pj. It was the pj and I don't remember anyone outside of Cineramax saying the image looked good.


It is also why JVC has said in the past that a native 4k wasn't a priority. I also remember my friend from VDC saying the lack of great source material didn't allow CRTs to show their full potential.
Except most of the time he played that damn animated 3D movie. There should be a law against using cartoons for demo material. It doesn't show a damn thing ( other than bad taste in demo material ).
Craig Peer is online now  
post #621 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,128
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Except most of the time he played that damn animated 3D movie. There should be a law against using cartoons for demo material. It doesn't show a damn thing ( other than bad taste in demo material ).
LOL, that was Cineramax's demo. I didn't attend that demo. I was referring to the Eric Clapton demo. The next day was their regular demo with Star Wars. Despite the massive amount of lumens, it never looked good. My feeling is that with poor contrast one is always wanting higher brightness to try to compensate, but it never works. I think that is why CRT owners could live with single digit ft/lmbs.

Not to get off topic, but Barco left a bad taste in my mouth that year. IIRC Barco kept promoting Darinp's favorite Infocomm standard. They also threw Stewart under the bus and backed up multiple times to make sure they were dead. Barco blamed Stewart for giving them the wrong screen.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is offline  
post #622 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,096
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7485 Post(s)
Liked: 9070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
LOL, that was Cineramax's demo. I didn't attend that demo. I was referring to the Eric Clapton demo. The next day was their regular demo with Star Wars. Despite the massive amount of lumens, it never looked good. My feeling is that with poor contrast one is always wanting higher brightness to try to compensate, but it never works. I think that is why CRT owners could live with single digit ft/lmbs.

Not to get off topic, but Barco left a bad taste in my mouth that year. IIRC Barco kept promoting Darinp's favorite Infocomm standard. They also threw Stewart under the bus and backed up multiple times to make sure they were dead. Barco blamed Stewart for giving them the wrong screen.
Sorry - wrong expensive projector demo - my bad.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #623 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,128
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
It was the same demo room. It is just that you, Mike and Darin went back for Peter's 3D version. IIRC you three were immortalized afterwards on camera.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is offline  
post #624 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,743
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Final set of pics. In this series, I cropped the pics so one can clearly see the differences in fine detail in extreme close-up (I would imagine most people needed to really zoom the original images in to see the differences). I used the portion of the frame that both JAVS and I focused on (no pun intended) to see the differences. IMO, the writing on the cab at the bottom of the frame reveals the differences in resolution most clearly:

First is the version I down-scaled to 1080P:



Notice the phone number on the side of the cab - blurry and *just* legible.

Now here is the version I down-scaled to 1620P:



Getting better! Phone number is now easy to read.

Finally, here is the full 4K version:



Better yet! The phone number is now clearly legible.

Now, let's see how this picture segment fits in with the native 4K screenshot as a whole (outlined in red):



My point? Simply that these are the differences in fine detail one can expect to see with a native 4K display. From my discussions with customers day in and day out, what they expect to see is greater overall sharpness with a native 4K display. But what you actually see - and what we often saw at the shootout - is very much reflected by what you see in these images. Differences in fine detail (which can be interpreted as sharpness) that one needs to be quite close to the screen to see.

Hopefully these last images truly put things into perspective - at least from my point of view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1080P.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	2360548   Click image for larger version

Name:	1620P.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	2360550   Click image for larger version

Name:	4K Native.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	2360554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas5 outline.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2360564  
Kadath, MOberhardt and krumme like this.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
John Schuermann is offline  
post #625 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Just chiming in for my opinion here.

I've been using the VW760ES right now since release, as one of the first owners. For me the choice was between this projector and the JVC 540/640.

I think what dissapoints me the most, and is a big pro on the JVC. Is not the projector but the content. It is difficult to find truly sharp content that actually does the VW760ES justice. Most of what I've seen has been dissapointingly low res to the point that I felt insulted I paid the money for it.

I would even go as far as saying, if you want to view UHD Blurays today, or streaming video. Don't look farther than the JVC. The content isn't good enough for native 4k, you won't see that much of a difference.

However, things are much more different when the content is good. Gaming here is really where the projector impresses, where everything looks incredibly sharp, smooth, just incredible. That's where I feel 4k is really 4k. Honestly, I've never seen things so beautiful as this.
That is a an interesting observation.
I have had the luxury of having the Sony1000es with the JVC rs600 side by side for nearly 6 months now and have tested all types of content:
Catalogue 4Ks(UHD) end to end:- Ghostbusters (1984) ,Close Encounters ect
Catalogue 2ks(Blu rays) end to end:- Superman The Movie 1978 ect
Contemporary 4ks(UHD) end to end:- Sicario ect
Contemporary 2K DI's(UHD) :- Wonder Woman, Skull Island ect
Catalogue 4K down conversions to 2K(blu Ray) :- Taxi Driver ect
Contemporary 2K DI's to 1080p(BluRay):-Fellowship of The Ring ect


I would say that the closer you get to the screen the Sony has a clear and distinct advantage(in terms of sharpness) with all types of content.
My screen is 110 inches in width and I sit less than 1 meter away. The Sony is a superior device at this distance.
The further you get away from the screen however, then you start noticing the JVC's advantage in contrast a little more BUT it's not enough to stop the Sony from having the better overall image.

So JVC need to up their game and get a 4K model in the under 10000$/£ bracket or Sony will be riding home to victory within the next 2 years.
Woof Woof and christoffeldg like this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #626 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
My screen is 110 inches in width and I sit less than 1 meter away.
You sit so close to your screen that you could basically touch it with your feet? Do you turn your head every time a scene switches between 2 people talking who are on opposite sides of the screen?

I'm not 100% sure this was you, but did you used to tell us that the Panasonic AE2000 (or one of those) had better image quality than a nice Sony or JVC (I don't remember which)?

--Darin
krumme likes this.
darinp is offline  
post #627 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
You sit so close to your screen that you could basically touch it with your feet? Do you turn your head every time a scene switches between 2 people talking who are on opposite sides of the screen?

I'm not 100% sure this was you, but did you used to tell us that the Panasonic AE2000 (or one of those) had better image quality than a nice Sony or JVC (I don't remember which)?

--Darin
That was me.

And you are correct.....I am probably contravening the THX/SMPTE guidelines with regards to viewing distances.
And I am not trying to impose my habits on others.

For the record, sitting less than 1 meter from the screen is not fixed.....I do alternate depending on my mood and the occasions(watching with friends ect).....sometimes sitting as far back as 3 screen heights.

As for the Panasonic AE2000.....I would maintain that Smooth Screen, as opposed to Reality Creation(which sharpens all areas of an image which may never have been intentionally shot/created to look sharp) and E-shift(which adds noise) can work better in catalogue flicks which contain optical dupes.



Of course both the Sony and in particular, the JVC, murder the Panasonic in the contrast stakes so it's give and take.

Also for the record, I love the rs600....in terms of bang for the buck it(or it's successors )can't be beat.

But it would be nice to see JVC produce a lamp based 4K model in the sub 10000 range......maybe compromising on the lens quality seen with the Sony 5000/1100/1000 or the JVC Z1.......but with contrast comparable to what they achieve with the current 1080p ehifters.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 02-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #628 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
That was me.

And you are correct.....I am probably contravening the THX/SMPTE guidelines with regards to viewing distances.
And I am not trying to impose my habits on others.

For the record, sitting less than 1 meter from the screen is not fixed.....I do alternate depending on my mood and the occasions(watching with friends ect).....sometimes sitting as far back as 3 screen heights.

As for the Panasonic AE2000.....I would maintain that Smooth Screen, as opposed to Reality Creation(which sharpens all areas of an image which may never have been intentionally shot/created to look sharp) and E-shift(which adds noise) can work better in catalogue flicks which contain optical dupes.



Of course both the Sony and in particular, the JVC, murder the Panasonic in the contrast stakes so it's give and take.

Also for the record, I love the rs600....in terms of bang for the buck it(or it's successors )can't be beat.

But it would be nice to see JVC produce a lamp based 4K model in the sub 10000 range......maybe compromising on the lens quality seen with the Sony 5000/1100/1000 or the JVC Z1.......but with contrast comparable to what they achieve with the current 1080p ehifters.

Do you have a bean bag or something? How does that actually work?
movieloverAL likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #629 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Do you have a bean bag or something? How does that actually work?
I'm picturing somebody bringing their own chair to a movie theater since the closest seats just aren't close enough.

TheSony4KRises,

Do you ever go to the movies? If so, do you pick the first row?

--Darin
darinp is offline  
post #630 of 729 Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,096
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7485 Post(s)
Liked: 9070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Do you have a bean bag or something? How does that actually work?
You can slide a chair you know ! However, I would think moving seating forwards and back would mess up your audio calibration. But what do I know.
movieloverAL likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off