The Great JVC vs. Sony Projector Shootout - Dec. 9 and 10 - No price talk, please! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 665Likes

post #721 of 729 Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Dave, that's terrible to hear! Hope everything is looking up at this point!

To clarify - sometimes we did have the dynamic iris engaged, sometimes we did not. This was true of both JVC and Sony projectors, based on audience requests. Since the 385 essentially becomes a 285 with the iris off, many people considering a 285 projector specifically wanted to see the 385 with the iris off.
Isn't $3K (speaking MSRP) a lot to pay just to get a dynamic iris? Is the difference super noticeable?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Is the difference super noticeable?
Yes, I think it is.

As to whether it is worth the mark up, is down to the value the buyer puts on such a feature and how critical a viewer they are.
post #723 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Isn't $3K (speaking MSRP) a lot to pay just to get a dynamic iris? Is the difference super noticeable?
For me the extra money for the 385 was definitely worth it.

Without the manual iris, there would be no way to limit the light output from the projector and in my case it would be way too bright for SDR.

For example, I get about 34+ FL in SDR on low lamp and 40+ FL in HDR on high lamp with a new bulb. The HDR brightness is fine but the SDR brightness is way too bright in a dark theater. It is uncomfortable to watch. With the iris, I can dial back the light output to where my SDR low lamp output is around 20 FL, that makes a huge difference to the overall picture quality, black levels, and comfort when viewing.

With the 285 there is no way to adjust the light output. You can't just turn down the brightness because that isn't the same thing. That doesn't limit light output. It just sets the black point higher. With the 385 and the manual/dynamic iris, you can limit light output with the iris and then use the brightness control to properly set the black point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 7601
Quote:
That's $3K gets you lens memory too.
post #725 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 7601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woolley View Post
That's probably the deciding factor for me. Blacks are the be all and end all for me when it comes to deciding on a TV/Projector. So would you say the RS640 has the best blacks currently available for a projector?
No - the best black levels would be on JVC's 20th LTD model !
post #726 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post

Without the manual iris, there would be no way to limit the light output from the projector and in my case it would be way too bright for SDR.
An ND (neutral density) filter would work. A 1-stop filter cuts brightness in half, and filters are available starting at .3 stops. You can even get variable ones, although they start at a minimum of one stop.
post #727 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked: 2810
Quote:
The dynamic iris on the Sony is *super* noticeable. It essentially changes your contrast from around 15000:1 to 150000:1. I know Sony advertises 350000:1 but I think its probably less than that in practice. I returned my 285ES and went to a 675ES (was going for 385ES but got a good deal on 675ES) just for the iris. And it was worth it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #728 of 729 Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Yes, I think it is.

As to whether it is worth the mark up, is down to the value the buyer puts on such a feature and how critical a viewer they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post

For example, I get about 34+ FL in SDR on low lamp and 40+ FL in HDR on high lamp with a new bulb. The HDR brightness is fine but the SDR brightness is way too bright in a dark theater. It is uncomfortable to watch. With the iris, I can dial back the light output to where my SDR low lamp output is around 20 FL, that makes a huge difference to the overall picture quality, black levels, and comfort when viewing.

With the 285 there is no way to adjust the light output. You can't just turn down the brightness because that isn't the same thing. That doesn't limit light output. It just sets the black point higher. With the 385 and the manual/dynamic iris, you can limit light output with the iris and then use the brightness control to properly set the black point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That's $3K gets you lens memory too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The dynamic iris on the Sony is *super* noticeable. It essentially changes your contrast from around 15000:1 to 150000:1. I know Sony advertises 350000:1 but I think its probably less than that in practice. I returned my 285ES and went to a 675ES (was going for 385ES but got a good deal on 675ES) just for the iris. And it was worth it.
Thanks everyone for those great replies! I also read that there's better quality parts or better quality control in the 385 in a review - is that also right?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #729 of 729 Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
I also read that there's better quality parts or better quality control in the 385 in a review - is that also right?
I think that would apply to the later model 550's and all the 260/360 models (late 2017 onwards). Supposedly better QC on lenses being fitted but how one would corroborate this beyond anecdotes and hearsay is anyone's guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page