Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes

post #61 of 1518 Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Letters on menu dimming people try setting dynamic black to OFF and test if you still have the issue.

You may be seeing normal brightness / gamma changes when small menu screens against black background lower the overall brightness and engage dynamic laser dimming . If this fixes your problem try using DB1 mode and there will be less brightness fluctuation than DB2.

Hello

my older HD90+ reacts same of the own screen menus.
But i can change the reaction intensity in the customer service menu settings for all 3 DB types.

My UHD65 reacts not of his internal menu screens and change the dynamic only on the content which played.

I will get my new UHZ65 this week also.

Have anybody some information about the installed Firmware Versions?
I ordered my UHZ65 last week.

BR, Ronald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1518 Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If you're talking about the "Target Luminance"setting, that's only used for HDR to SDR conversion (per the Oppo thread), ie when you have HDR OFF or Strip Metadata enabled.
Thank you for un-tangling that for me!
post #63 of 1518 Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I get blinking every once in a while using a 20' HDMI cord for 4K HDR, blinks maybe once every 20 minutes.

What active cable have you guys found in that length to be successful for a decent price?
Tested the Monoprice "DynamicView" 15 foot active cable ("DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 34AWG, CL2, 15ft, Black") and it worked nicely at 4K 60hz 4:2:2. I'd guess/extrapolate that the 20 foot version would be ok too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
**$**$** OPTOMA UHZ65 : warning 220v/50Hz **$**$**

So I knew something just didn't sound right with the explanation Optoma's tech support gave me yesterday and I called them back today to get clarification on that 50Hz bug.

This is a major blow for anybody living in a country where they use 220v/50Hz and thinking of ordering this unit from the US : do not do it or every signal you feed it will flicker!

And no, Optoma US will not do anything for you as they have no intention to issue a firmware update for the units sold in the US for this issue and even better, they will not perform that update for units purchased in the US even if you beg them.

That is absolutely deplorable because what is the point of having a 110v/220v, 50/60Hz power supply then ? To add to the features list like the absolutely useless 3D pc compatibility at 30Hz per eye ?

Sorry but there is nothing ethical about Optoma and that brand is definitely out for me, this is the worst service I have seen coming from a worldwide distributed brand.

Rant over.
post #65 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post
And no, Optoma US will not do anything for you as they have no intention to issue a firmware update for the units sold in the US for this issue and even better, they will not perform that update for units purchased in the US even if you beg them.
To be fair, why should Optoma US absorb the cost of testing, issuing, and installing a firmware update for a problem that does not exist within their market?
Dave Harper likes this.
post #66 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
To be fair, why should Optoma US absorb the cost of testing, issuing, and installing a firmware update for a problem that does not exist within their market?
You realize that their own US datasheet and US manual shows compatibility with 110v/220v, 50Hz/60Hz ? Therefore them refusing to service a US unit to put it in compliance with their own published specs in their US literature is a breach of contract ?

This is what is wrong with Americans : they believe they're above the law as long as there's no consequences for them. Your statement just shows how unprincipled you really are.
post #67 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
This is what is wrong with Americans : they believe they're above the law as long as there's no consequences for them. Your statement just shows how unprincipled you really are.
Wow.
longhornsk57 likes this.
post #68 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Wow.
Is that all you can muster ? Why don't you rebuke with something that disproves the dishonesty of Optoma and justifies your statement in defense of what is clearly a breach of contract ? Then we can talk about how unprincipled it all is but first show where what they're doing and what you're stating makes it legal.
post #69 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I think it was more that insane irrelevant rant about Americans. It was honestly too stupid to dignify with a response.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #70 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I think it was more that insane irrelevant rant about Americans. It was honestly too stupid to dignify with a response.

Isn't Optoma an American company ? Shouldn't their products be sold based on the respect of American laws ? Isn't stanger89 coming to the defense of a clear breach of contract by an American company not an unprincipled statement ?
post #71 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Isn't Optoma an American company ? Shouldn't their products be sold based on the respect of American laws ? Isn't stanger89 coming to the defense of a clear breach of contract by an American company not an unprincipled statement ?
Optoma is a Taiwanese company.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #72 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Optoma is a Taiwanese company.
Ok, but clearly their US headquarters are in the US and responsible for the US market and the units sold in that market and they're staffed with Americans (at least the 4 people I dealt with there were). If they're selling a product with clear stated specifications of compatibility with 110v/220v, 50Hz/60Hz, they are required by law to either service that unit to put it in compliance with their advertised feature or to reimburse expenses occurred due to that breach of contract.

Let's say they are selling it to a US marine who moves around the world a lot for the sake of argument, how can you think that's fair to have him pay for their mistake ? That's all I'm saying really. Optoma US clearly didn't consult their Taiwan unit on this.
post #73 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Now for something completely different:

I just got in the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K UHD.

This is really impressive. Beautiful film grain. Some scenes are much grainier than others, however I suspect this is due to shooting at different effective ISO and push processing, or something like that. There are a number of reasons why grain will vary between scenes, but none of that detracts from this wonderful remastering.

The first time I saw the film was in a theater, and we were fairly far back in the seating. It was also not a very good theater. The end result is that I am seeing things in the film that I never noticed before. Also, thank the heavens above, no voice-over! I do understand that for some people the voice-over has become part of the film for them. I get that.

For my taste, this is a spectacular release. I find it a significant jump up from the best I had previously seen.
post #74 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
I just got in the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K UHD.

This is really impressive. Beautiful film grain. Some scenes are much grainier than others, however I suspect this is due to shooting at different effective ISO and push processing, or something like that. There are a number of reasons why grain will vary between scenes, but none of that detracts from this wonderful remastering.

The first time I saw the film was in a theater, and we were fairly far back in the seating. It was also not a very good theater. The end result is that I am seeing things in the film that I never noticed before. Also, thank the heavens above, no voice-over! I do understand that for some people the voice-over has become part of the film for them. I get that.

For my taste, this is a spectacular release. I find it a significant jump up from the best I had previously seen.
They did a very impressive job on The bridge on the river Kwai as well, I really recommend it if that's your thing.
DigitalGrease likes this.
post #75 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know, I think you're making too big a deal out of this.

Has nothing to do with America or anything like that, just eat the shipping and move on. **** happens.

But to rant and rave about America and all this insanity, it's overdone.

post #76 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Is that all you can muster ?
Yes it is when you resort to personal attacks and questioning my principles.
post #77 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I think you're making too big a deal out of this.

Has nothing to do with America or anything like that, just eat the shipping and move on. **** happens.

But to rant and rave about America and all this insanity, it's overdone.

Look, the manager of Optoma US really was a jerk. He was clearly American. I've lived in California for many years and the bottom line is this : the country changed and the American exceptional attitude is now pervasive even in the projector business. 20 years ago, I would never have encountered such disregard for their own customers. Today, it's going unfettered from the manufacturer down to the dealer.

And I'm sad to say, this type of attitude is projected all around the world. I've been to many countries and the image of America has gone down the toilet because of that "might makes right" and "yes, we're doing something illegal but what are you going to do about it" attitude like I encountered while trying to give Optoma over $4000.

I don't understand why people don't try to honor their country by siding with principles. Once you try to diverge from that and justify all kinds of crooked behaviors, it really is a slippery slope for not just the person but also for the population and eventually for the entire country.

I knew my remark was going to hit some nerves but that comment from stanger89 was really what broke the camel's back : he constantly goes in every DLP thread to bash the technology and has no interest in keeping it about the particular issue of the thread. He has been told repeatedly that he had made his point yet he keeps doing it, so getting that comment from him was really upsetting.

This was my experience trying to use a UHZ65 and Optoma's attitude is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the fact that they're not even concerned with breaking US law. In fact, with their US headquarters based in California and the projector purchased sitting in California right now, I can guarantee you that the courts there would not side with Optoma.
post #78 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Whatever man, let's move on..

Lonely Surfer likes this.
post #79 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Yes it is when you resort to personal attacks and questioning my principles.
Next time then, don't pick up a fight by siding with Goliath without even knowing what it is you're defending. They don't stand by their own product, don't respect the laws of trade in California nor at the federal level, and yet you come to their defense, what do you call that, principled ? I didn't question your principles, you made clear what they were.
post #80 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 PM

Look, all I was saying is that Optoma US serves the US market. The number of their customers affected by a bug related to 50Hz power is likely in the ones since their entire market is based on 60Hz power. Now Optoma US doesn't manufacture these machines, Optoma Taiwan/Coretronic manufactures one machine for the world, so universal power support isn't something Optoma US intentionally designed in, it's just what they got from headquarters (a cost saving measure as it's cheaper to build one design with universal power than multiple designs for different markets). Now given that, Optoma US probably determined that the 50Hz bug doesn't affect their users, it probably decided the cost of testing integrating, testing and supporting the new firmware wasn't justified. It could even be that Optoma US was never provided the firmware, perhaps Optoma Taiwan decided it would only be provided to 50Hz countries, so maybe it wasn't even Optoma US's decision.

Expecting them to change that position on principle, for one person, regardless of how right or justified it might be, is naive. You have to consider that your use case is very abnormal, Optoma US doesn't serve/market worldwide. We all naturally want our issues to be resolved, but Optoma's running a business and perhaps resolving your particular issue isn't as simple as you might think. I'm not condoning it, and if I were your dealer, I'd probably have offered pay to ship it back, especially since you had the foresight to confirm before you opened and used it. I've seen much bigger issues, that affect much larger groups of people go unresolved. Optoma is a budget brand, and I'd expect (but not approve of or condone) budget service from them.

Doesn't make it right, doesn't mean I like it or condone it. It just means I choose to move on and not get upset by such things, it's just not worth being upset and attacking people over it.
Anthony Cler likes this.
post #81 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know where I can get a 20' or bigger fiber HDMI for not an insane amount?

post #82 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Look, all I was saying is that Optoma US serves the US market. The number of their customers affected by a bug related to 50Hz power is likely in the ones since their entire market is based on 60Hz power. Now Optoma US doesn't manufacture these machines, Optoma Taiwan/Coretronic manufactures one machine for the world, so universal power support isn't something Optoma US intentionally designed in, it's just what they got from headquarters (a cost saving measure as it's cheaper to build one design with universal power than multiple designs for different markets). Now given that, Optoma US probably determined that the 50Hz bug doesn't affect their users, it probably decided the cost of testing integrating, testing and supporting the new firmware wasn't justified. It could even be that Optoma US was never provided the firmware, perhaps Optoma Taiwan decided it would only be provided to 50Hz countries, so maybe it wasn't even Optoma US's decision.

Expecting them to change that position on principle, for one person, regardless of how right or justified it might be, is naive. You have to consider that your use case is very abnormal, Optoma US doesn't serve/market worldwide. We all naturally want our issues to be resolved, but Optoma's running a business and perhaps resolving your particular issue isn't as simple as you might think. I'm not condoning it, and if I were your dealer, I'd probably have offered pay to ship it back, especially since you had the foresight to confirm before you opened and used it. I've seen much bigger issues, that affect much larger groups of people go unresolved. Optoma is a budget brand, and I'd expect (but not approve of or condone) budget service from them.

Doesn't make it right, doesn't mean I like it or condone it. It just means I choose to move on and not get upset by such things, it's just not worth being upset and attacking people over it.
Ok, I appreciate your response, very well put. However it's not just the shipping I'm faced with, I also purchased a mount that only works for that unit and 50 feet of fiber optic cable and of course that's another expense that I'm going to have to bite.

And if I hadn't insisted with their lousy tech support, I would have been charged a 15% restocking fee, even though both the dealer and Optoma were wrong.

I'm now directly in contact with Optoma Taiwan, we'll see what happens. They're researching the issue. At least they are very polite, not like that jerk of a manager at Optoma US. That's what I'm talking about, once you experience other cultures like I have, you realize how much hate is in America and it truly saddens me because I never wanted to leave but it detoriated so much, staying would truly have been insanity.

Thanks for your measured response, now let's move on and go back more specifically to the UHZ65 instead of Optoma and their service.
post #83 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, I appreciate your response, very well put. However it's not just the shipping I'm faced with, I also purchased a mount that only works for that unit and 50 feet of fiber optic cable and of course that's another expense that I'm going to have to bite.

And if I hadn't insisted with their lousy tech support, I would have been charged a 15% restocking fee, even though both the dealer and Optoma were wrong.

I'm now directly in contact with Optoma Taiwan, we'll see what happens. They're researching the issue. At least they are very polite, not like that jerk of a manager at Optoma US. That's what I'm talking about, once you experience other cultures like I have, you realize how much hate is in America and it truly saddens me because I never wanted to leave but it detoriated so much, staying would truly have been insanity.

Thanks for your measured response, now let's move on and go back more specifically to the UHZ65 instead of Optoma and their service.
How much you want for that fiber optic HDMI?

post #84 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This "owner's" thread has become cancerous. I don't think I've ever seen an owner's thread riddled with so much noise. Was hoping the jabs here and there would stay in the other UHZ65 thread. =(

Anyhoo...I am out of town at the moment but am looking forward to tweaking a bit when I get home. I'd like to see how much I can get out of this unit before making my final decision to keep it or not. I'll post my settings and I definitely want to get firmware numbers rolling in this thread for comparison. Mine will be up on Saturday and can kick it off unless others want to post before then.

Now, I fully understand there are settings that people pay good money for, but that's not what I am going to post or want to see others post. Just the quick hits of Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness and all of these weird "standard" color settings Optoma seems to have in their menus, including Deep Black tinkerings (DB2 per Ruined's notes!) without getting into full calibration.

Looking forward to diving into this new toy. =)
Lonely Surfer and mercuryyy like this.
post #85 of 1518 Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Anyone know where I can get a 20' or bigger fiber HDMI for not an insane amount?

25' Amazon Basics worked for me
krumme likes this.

custom printed apparel http://www.inktastic.com
post #86 of 1518 Old 12-07-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post
This "owner's" thread has become cancerous. I don't think I've ever seen an owner's thread riddled with so much noise. Was hoping the jabs here and there would stay in the other UHZ65 thread. =(

Anyhoo...I am out of town at the moment but am looking forward to tweaking a bit when I get home. I'd like to see how much I can get out of this unit before making my final decision to keep it or not. I'll post my settings and I definitely want to get firmware numbers rolling in this thread for comparison. Mine will be up on Saturday and can kick it off unless others want to post before then.

Now, I fully understand there are settings that people pay good money for, but that's not what I am going to post or want to see others post. Just the quick hits of Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness and all of these weird "standard" color settings Optoma seems to have in their menus, including Deep Black tinkerings (DB2 per Ruined's notes!) without getting into full calibration.

Looking forward to diving into this new toy. =)
At this point in time, there's only one firmware version that comes with sold units : C08. That's from Optoma's "product manager" (seems everybody is a manager there).

There's a firmware update for European units but it's not even ready for them to do demonstrations in Europe without a power converter. The US will not see that particular firmware either, they don't consider respecting their published specs of 110v/220v, 50Hz/60Hz something they have to abide by.

Don't forget to set Brilliant Color between 8 and 10 as per Dave Harper's findings.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by eurotrance; 12-07-2017 at 04:28 AM.
post #87 of 1518 Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM

....i got my us UHZ65 today and it works perfect with 230V 50HZ

I tested all resulations 24/30/50/60Hz
1080p/2160p
4:4:4 8/10/12bit

all works as it should.

Main FW is: C05 Sep.2017

I was shocked to read the issues from eurotrance. But my unit works - thanks god - Weekend is saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4592.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	2327078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2327080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4598.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	2327082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	2327084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unbenannt 1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	2327086  

Troy LaMont and krumme like this.
post #88 of 1518 Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post

1080p/2160p

all works as it should.

I was shocked to read the issues from eurotrance. But my unit works - thanks god - Weekend is saved.
Guess either he has old FW, a defective projector, or something else in the chain causing issue then. @eurotrance you should check this post out.
post #89 of 1518 Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post

1080p/2160p

all works as it should.

So the plot thickens, because this invalidates everything that I've been told by Optoma themselves. You have a firmware version of C05 when I've been told there's only a version C08 on currently shipping units, and currently shipping units will have a flickering image on 220v/50Hz but yet you don't see any trace of that either ?

What the hell is going on... Can you check your manufacturing date, please ?

Also, can you confirm that this projector comes from the US ? I think you said you ordered it from there but this is so bizarre, it's bordering twilight zone territory. We were just in front of the UPS store to ship the unit back right now.

Last edited by eurotrance; 12-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #90 of 1518 Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM

I bought this unit from projector People around 4k on the black friday Weekend.

Before my buy I got the confirmation, that my unit works and have a failure free firmware from my personal sales manager from pp

Serial number: Q7AL7380074

Which Version / SN you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4540013B-2A09-40B3-A2CC-7419BFCCC061.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2327088  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version