Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes

post #1381 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the great info.

I'm in the process of setting up a drop down screen in a fairly large family room, that will have ambient light, especially during the day. Would you guys recommend the UHZ65 or is the BenQ LK990 (or something else) better for this environment? I will be able to hang the projector from the ceiling and have as much depth as needed from the screen.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzabucks View Post

I'm in the process of setting up a drop down screen in a fairly large family room, that will have ambient light, especially during the day. Would you guys recommend the UHZ65 or is the BenQ LK990 (or something else) better for this environment? I will be able to hang the projector from the ceiling and have as much depth as needed from the screen.

Thanks in advance!
I have no experience with the BenQ but I do own the UHZ65. I have it in my non-dedicated home theater/man cave which has tons of ambient light during the day. The UHZ65 is plenty bright.

Mark
post #1383 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I have no experience with the BenQ but I do own the UHZ65. I have it in my non-dedicated home theater/man cave which has tons of ambient light during the day. The UHZ65 is plenty bright.
Is the hanging height a big issue with this model. I have ceilings that are almost 12 feet high. I'm planning on the mechanical screen being about 120" diagonal, but I'm worried about the angle that the projector would need to hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Quote:
Is the hanging height a big issue with this model. I have ceilings that are almost 12 feet high. I'm planning on the mechanical screen being about 120" diagonal, but I'm worried about the angle that the projector would need to hit.

I think it all comes down to budget and placement.

The LK970 has much better lens shift abilities (65/35 vs 15/0 off the top of my head?), the best lens on anything under $30K, very low RBE, sharpness and detail to die for and brightness out the wazoo. Of course this all comes with a price premium about twice that of the UHZ65 street.

Bottom line, if your budget is capped about $3,500, aren’t susceptible to RBE and you don’t need the lens shift for your install, then go with the UHZ65. It’s an amazing projector for the money, probably one of the best overall in that price range. I would highly recommend you look at the TVS modified UHZ65 too. If you can afford the LK970 or 990 and/or the lens shift doesn’t work and you need better RBE performance, then yes it’s the much better machine.
mjwagner and xpostal like this.
post #1385 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the UHZ65 you get zero horizontal lens shift and minimal vertical shift. Basically you need to have the projector centered on the screen with the lens roughly at the height of the top edge of the screen. IIRC you get about a 15% vertical lens shift. So for a ceiling mount you need to have the lens even with the top edge of the screen or a maximum of 15% below.
Dave Harper likes this.

Mark
post #1386 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
With the UHZ65 you get zero horizontal lens shift and minimal vertical shift. Basically you need to have the projector centered on the screen with the lens roughly at the height of the top edge of the screen. IIRC you get about a 15% vertical lens shift. So for a ceiling mount you need to have the lens even with the top edge of the screen or a maximum of 15% below.

I thought it was 15% above when inverted for a ceiling mount?
mjwagner and DunMunro like this.
post #1387 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I thought it was 15% above when inverted for a ceiling mount?
I’m sure you’re right Dave. I had the opposite problem...sorry about that.
Dave Harper likes this.

Mark
post #1388 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Could you clarify 15% of what for the lens shift? My current projector is pretty close to the top of my screen, but it would require quite a bit of rework for me to move it lower if I went with the UHZ65. Moving the A-lens would be a hassle.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #1389 of 1518 Old 03-24-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Could you clarify 15% of what for the lens shift? My current projector is pretty close to the top of my screen, but it would require quite a bit of rework for me to move it lower if I went with the UHZ65. Moving the A-lens would be a hassle.
If the projector lens is roughly even with the top of the screen you should be fine.

Mark
post #1390 of 1518 Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have thourghly tested the vpr for clipping in sdr and hdr and confirm it does clip all colours and white in sdr and red and blue in hdr. The square boxes in the clipping test on the spears and munsil disc are all solid and on the masciola hdr10 disc Red has only one gradient only while blue three. This is having the Oppo set to output yuv 444. Setting it to output RGB video level everything works fine. Black is no longer clipped and all colour gredients in sdr are fine. To get the best in hdr you need to set the hdr dynamic range to detail. I advise other owners to check if the issue is common to all the machines.
post #1391 of 1518 Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd never noticed this dimension on the calculator, but do I understand that the center of the lens needs to be within 10" of the top of the screen (when ceiling mounted upside down)?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ.png
Views:	389
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	2544116  

post #1392 of 1518 Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
This should help:

https://www.optoma.com/us/calculator/

IIRC, lens shift = 15% of image height. So if you throw an image 60in high then image shift is 9in.
mjwagner and J_P_A like this.
post #1393 of 1518 Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 PM

For those interested in the clipping issue I have uploaded the photos of the test patterns https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuZ7yeDscfZZhJoRDf6MhgJrLGYeIg The titles of the files should be self explenatory
jherring69 likes this.
post #1394 of 1518 Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
This should help:

https://www.optoma.com/us/calculator/

IIRC, lens shift = 15% of image height. So if you throw an image 60in high then image shift is 9in.
Thanks! It never occurred to me to check the vendor website.

post #1395 of 1518 Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Does anyone know where I could demo a UHZ65 in the Auburn/Montgomery Alabama or even Atlanta Georgia area? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'm not sure if I'll see any RBE. So I'd like to demo one first.

Do you ever make it down into FL? I have a buddy in New Port Richey, just north of Tampa, who has a UHZ65. Might be able to set up a demo if you need to.

But I'll tell you this, if you're susceptible to RBE, you will see it. I am and I can't ignore how bad it is on this model. But, my buddy is as well, and he says he gets used to it and doesn't see it much anymore. So it's user-dependent on how it'll affect you.
post #1396 of 1518 Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 394
While I'm in this thread catching up....

Has anyone heard more about the possible C15 F/W that was supposedly released overseas and brings Blu-Ray 3D?

Any time-frame for it coming stateside?
post #1397 of 1518 Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Do you ever make it down into FL? I have a buddy in New Port Richey, just north of Tampa, who has a UHZ65. Might be able to set up a demo if you need to.

But I'll tell you this, if you're susceptible to RBE, you will see it. I am and I can't ignore how bad it is on this model. But, my buddy is as well, and he says he gets used to it and doesn't see it much anymore. So it's user-dependent on how it'll affect you.
When I first purchased the UHZ65 I noticed a bunch of RBE. Now I need concentrate on it and look for it to see anything. I would say it became a non-issue.
jherring69 and JonasHansen like this.
post #1398 of 1518 Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

That's a pretty long trip. Tho I may be headed down that way in a week or so. If it works out, I'll PM you.

Thanks for the followup!

We have a Sony PJ, now. So I'm not sure if any of us will RBE or not. We've never had a DLP TV or PJ, so it's an unknown for us.

post #1399 of 1518 Old 04-01-2019, 06:55 AM

Did anyone do the clipping tests? I would like to know if I am the only one having issues or it is a common thing
post #1400 of 1518 Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi folks,

I am thinking about getting the UHZ65 for my hometheater mainly for 75% movies and 25% gaming. Can any fellow gamer update their experience of gaming on this projector? I do play some FPS games and was concerned about the 80ms lag. Thanks so much!
post #1401 of 1518 Old 04-03-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm a little bummed. I demoed the UHZ65, and both my wife and I see RBE. I'm not sure if it's going to bother me, and I'm still trying to decide if the extra brightness is worth the RBE or not.

post #1402 of 1518 Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another random question. Once opened, should the door on the top of the projector stay open when the PJ sitting on a table?

post #1403 of 1518 Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
Hi folks,

I am thinking about getting the UHZ65 for my hometheater mainly for 75% movies and 25% gaming. Can any fellow gamer update their experience of gaming on this projector? I do play some FPS games and was concerned about the 80ms lag. Thanks so much!
It's been a few years since I played much FPS, but my son says it's a little noticeable, but not too bad. We have UHD65 rather than a UHZ65, but other than the illumination, I expect everything else is pretty similar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #1404 of 1518 Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Another random question. Once opened, should the door on the top of the projector stay open when the PJ sitting on a table?
I do not believe it should stay open. It clicks in place. I have mine on the ceiling and it holds in position.

I know you saw the RBE, as I did too initially, but after a while unless I look for it or read about it like today, I rarely if ever see it. But that is a personal item, some people are super susceptible to seeing it while others never notice it. It is a lot of money to spend (to me anyway) and then possibly not like it.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1405 of 1518 Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
It's been a few years since I played much FPS, but my son says it's a little noticeable, but not too bad. We have UHD65 rather than a UHZ65, but other than the illumination, I expect everything else is pretty similar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
I am not as much of a gamer now (lack of free time) but do not notice it. With the UHZ65 I am playing on an Xbox One X. I just know the games look beyond amazing. Battlefront II looks like you are in a Star Wars movie. Battlefield 1 another of my go to's looks fantastic as well in 4K. I could be getting so distracted by how good everything looks add in the good surround sound system and not noticing the lag. I also just stink at FPS on console having started out on PC, the transition is ongoing. So I may chalk up my lack of skills and not notice the lag.

I do also play some driving games and lag means the difference between making the turn or passing the car cleanly or not and still get good track times and enjoy playing on the projector with it. I use a racing wheel for this. The wheel is actually a little tougher to get good times with, but makes for better immersion as well. Forza games are also in 4K and the setup really shines there.
post #1406 of 1518 Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
I do not believe it should stay open. It clicks in place. I have mine on the ceiling and it holds in position.
That door is awkward when on a table. I have to hold it with one hand to adjust the zoom/shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
I know you saw the RBE, as I did too initially, but after a while unless I look for it or read about it like today, I rarely if ever see it. But that is a personal item, some people are super susceptible to seeing it while others never notice it. It is a lot of money to spend (to me anyway) and then possibly not like it.
Exactly right. This is a lot of money (for me). Unfortunately, there just isn't a close second in this price range. At least, there isn't a close second with the sort of light output and overall performance that the UHZ65 has. So it's either go with the UHZ, or keep on going with my old PJ.

post #1407 of 1518 Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 AM

If you want to hold out for potential high lumens LED models that are supposedly coming, that is an option. LED is supposed to be free of any RGE. Poke around on the main forum, there may be some info out there. I have kept out of it since I won't be in the market for a while. With a 20,000 expected half life on the laser, I should be fine for a while. I also don't want to see something that would make me second guess my purchase, but that has not happened. I have been very happy with my projector.
jherring69 and J_P_A like this.
post #1408 of 1518 Old 04-04-2019, 10:38 AM

I am having an issue with mine that led me to use the RGB output from the Oppo rather than going yuv. The projector was perfectly calibrated in yuv and still is. When watching in RGB, for which it was not calibrated, I get to see a lot of rbe while in calibrated yuv mode there is none. As per other dlp projectors I owned, calibration is a must if you want to avoid rbe artifacts.
post #1409 of 1518 Old 04-05-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2099 View Post
I've had an Optoma UHZ65 for about 6 months and it's a quantum leap past my old Epsom Projector! I've been quite ecstatic with the picture quality and brightness of the image however I'm using a HTPC running Windows 10 and for whatever reason I've not been able to take advantage of HDR capability of the projector!

In the Advanced display setting for Optoma UHD it shows 3840 x 2160 30Hz 8-bit RGB Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) and I'm not able to increase the refresh rate beyond 30hz and the box to show additional refresh rates is grayed out. Under monitor type it shows Generic PnP Monitor! All of my PC components are also about 6 months old including my GTX 1070 graphics card, motherboard, i5 CPU are all up to spec for displaying HDR content and I'm using PowerDVD 18 to play MKV HDR 4K videos.

I've seen other people being able to play HDR videos using Windows 10 on an Optoma UHD65 so I'm not sure why I'm having problems and I haven't been able to find much information on this subject. I don't believe there are any Windows 10 drivers for the Optoma UHZ65 (something like that might help)!

If anyone can help me with this or even explain to me why Windows 10 doesn't want to recognize the Optoma UHZ65 as being HDR capable on let me increase the refresh rate to higher than 30Hz that would be fantastic!

I'm also still trying to work out how to bit stream the audio to my Yamaha RX-A3070?

Both of these issue are annoying but I'm still happy because both the video and audio are a quantum leap beyond my original setup but I still hope I can eventually sort both problems out!
In answer to my own question the reason why I can't get HDR is because I'm using GTX1070 Graphics Card. I found out I need to use the onboard Intel graphics or wait until next year for Intel to release a Graphics Card! It still works using HDR sim on the projector so I will stick with that and pickup a Intel Graphics Card next year! The CPU and onboard graphics not really up to the challenge of playing 4K HDR video from an SSD as smoothly as I would like. I'm going to take all the components out of my HTPC and turn that into a desktop and then put together a top of the range HTPC next year with an Intel Graphics Card!
post #1410 of 1518 Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Dynamic Black
Are you guys using dynamic black on your UHZ65?

I have always used DB2 as this provide (in my view) a very good black level. Yesterday I tried turning it off, and as expected the black level was a lot worse. BUT to my surprise it was not all bad. Dark scenes have a lot more details and "punch" compared to using DB. I need to watch a couple of movies to see if I'm getting more annoyed with the black level, but my short test yesterday actually had me prefer the image without DB.

What are your experiences?

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page