Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I prefer to use DB2. With HDR its action has never been evident, while sometimes with sdr you get at times a little light pumping.
Norixone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 573
When you turn HDR on/off on this projector, does it go dark for several seconds (maybe 20-30) while the setting is taking effect. Just making sure this is a normal behavior.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
J_P_A is offline  
post #1413 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
When you turn HDR on/off on this projector, does it go dark for several seconds (maybe 20-30) while the setting is taking effect. Just making sure this is a normal behavior.
Pretty much anytime the input changes resolution the projector has to re-sync and yes sometimes it takes a bit.
J_P_A likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1414 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Dynamic Black
Are you guys using dynamic black on your UHZ65?

I have always used DB2 as this provide (in my view) a very good black level. Yesterday I tried turning it off, and as expected the black level was a lot worse. BUT to my surprise it was not all bad. Dark scenes have a lot more details and "punch" compared to using DB. I need to watch a couple of movies to see if I'm getting more annoyed with the black level, but my short test yesterday actually had me prefer the image without DB.

What are your experiences?
How is it in DB1?
DunMunro is online now  
post #1415 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Member
 
psgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2099 View Post
In answer to my own question the reason why I can't get HDR is because I'm using GTX1070 Graphics Card. I found out I need to use the onboard Intel graphics or wait until next year for Intel to release a Graphics Card! It still works using HDR sim on the projector so I will stick with that and pickup a Intel Graphics Card next year! The CPU and onboard graphics not really up to the challenge of playing 4K HDR video from an SSD as smoothly as I would like. I'm going to take all the components out of my HTPC and turn that into a desktop and then put together a top of the range HTPC next year with an Intel Graphics Card!

I'm not sure if this will help, but I run an HTPC with a GTX1080 and I run HDR 4K no problem. I think from your original post you need to "extend" your displays then click on display 2 (your UHZ65) and set the HDR and resolution that way. I'm running windows 10 and with the most recent update there are some cool ways to tweak your display.


The 1070 will work just fine, use the HDMI output on the card and make sure your using a 18gbps cable and your gold.
jherring69 likes this.
psgolfer is offline  
post #1416 of 1520 Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
JonasHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
I prefer to use DB2. With HDR its action has never been evident, while sometimes with sdr you get at times a little light pumping.
I agree that the implementation is good with no pumping. But the loss of brightness compared to DB off is evident. (try and turn DB off when a dark image is shown).


Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
JonasHansen is offline  
post #1417 of 1520 Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
I agree that the implementation is good with no pumping. But the loss of brightness compared to DB off is evident. (try and turn DB off when a dark image is shown).


Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I find it to work very well without any loss of detail. However, now that I am researching why it is clipping, I have found that another issue I am having is the fact that at times the gamma is totally thrown off. The same scene watched several times goes from having a very good balance to being totally washed out and it is very much noticable by watching the black bars of 21:9 image.
I am taking mine to technical service mid this month to get it checked. I am quite sure it will be replaced.
Norixone is offline  
post #1418 of 1520 Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Has anyone had any issue with the screen going completely black for a second or two when setting to DB3? I'm guessing it's related to DB3, as setting the PJ to DB2 no longer shows the issue.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
J_P_A is offline  
post #1419 of 1520 Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Yes it's normal and if the image has very low apl it can keep totally black for several seconds until the image apl goes over a certain threshold
J_P_A likes this.
Norixone is offline  
post #1420 of 1520 Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Newbie
 
Madkao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
HI,
I am in need of some advice please.

I just got my UHZ65 over the weekend and have been testing it in my non-dedicated theater room with a 125in SI Slate screen. The projector is about 13feet away from the screen. So far I am impressed with the picture quality. I currently own a Sony HW65ES projector. The difference in contrast and picture quality is significant.

However, I do notice a significant lag with the UHZ65 when I game. This was expected as I knew the lag on the UHZ65 is 80ms compare to my old Sony HW65ES at around 30ms.

I am thinking about maybe getting the new Epson 5050UB to test it out and see how it compares to the UHZ65. I understand the technology is quite different (laser vs lamp, DLP vs LCD?), but as long as the picture quality is just as good on the Epson, then I might switch to the Epson due to potentially lower lag. (I can't find the lag time for the 5050UB but I think i read somewhere the lag for the 5040UB was in the low 30s so I am assuming the new 5050UB shouldn't be too far off).

Can someone help me decide whether of not they think the 5050UB would be a good alternative to consider. Thanks!
Madkao is offline  
post #1421 of 1520 Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blastermaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunny Okanagan
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
HI,
I am in need of some advice please.

I just got my UHZ65 over the weekend and have been testing it in my non-dedicated theater room with a 125in SI Slate screen. The projector is about 13feet away from the screen. So far I am impressed with the picture quality. I currently own a Sony HW65ES projector. The difference in contrast and picture quality is significant.

However, I do notice a significant lag with the UHZ65 when I game. This was expected as I knew the lag on the UHZ65 is 80ms compare to my old Sony HW65ES at around 30ms.

I am thinking about maybe getting the new Epson 5050UB to test it out and see how it compares to the UHZ65. I understand the technology is quite different (laser vs lamp, DLP vs LCD?), but as long as the picture quality is just as good on the Epson, then I might switch to the Epson due to potentially lower lag. (I can't find the lag time for the 5050UB but I think i read somewhere the lag for the 5040UB was in the low 30s so I am assuming the new 5050UB shouldn't be too far off).

Can someone help me decide whether of not they think the 5050UB would be a good alternative to consider. Thanks!
I'm in the process of looking at upgrading. I've looked into the Epson, but there have been some reliability issues that give me pause. Apparently, the image is very good, but if you're sitting close, you will definitely notice the difference in sharpness from something like the UHZ65 compared to the Epson. I would imagine that would be even moreso with gaming (things like text and such). The bulb based new Benq is nice, but I don't think it's bright enough. The laser Benq is really nice, but it's way too expensive. I think this is kinda the sweet spot IMHO. I'm just thinking of waiting until Optoma does a refresh of this model, then I'll jump in.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
blastermaster is offline  
post #1422 of 1520 Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
HI,
I am in need of some advice please.

I just got my UHZ65 over the weekend and have been testing it in my non-dedicated theater room with a 125in SI Slate screen. The projector is about 13feet away from the screen. So far I am impressed with the picture quality. I currently own a Sony HW65ES projector. The difference in contrast and picture quality is significant.

However, I do notice a significant lag with the UHZ65 when I game. This was expected as I knew the lag on the UHZ65 is 80ms compare to my old Sony HW65ES at around 30ms.

I am thinking about maybe getting the new Epson 5050UB to test it out and see how it compares to the UHZ65. I understand the technology is quite different (laser vs lamp, DLP vs LCD?), but as long as the picture quality is just as good on the Epson, then I might switch to the Epson due to potentially lower lag. (I can't find the lag time for the 5050UB but I think i read somewhere the lag for the 5040UB was in the low 30s so I am assuming the new 5050UB shouldn't be too far off).

Can someone help me decide whether of not they think the 5050UB would be a good alternative to consider. Thanks!
Why not get an inexpensive DLP, low lag, projector and use that for gaming, and reserve the UHX65 for everything else?
Madkao likes this.
DunMunro is online now  
post #1423 of 1520 Old 04-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
Madkao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Why not get an inexpensive DLP, low lag, projector and use that for gaming, and reserve the UHX65 for everything else?
Not a bad idea. But if 5050UB can match the UHZ65 in picture quality and beats it in gaming performance I will probably switch.
Madkao is offline  
post #1424 of 1520 Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
Not a bad idea. But if 5050UB can match the UHZ65 in picture quality and beats it in gaming performance I will probably switch.
It might beat it in gaming performance, but overall not so much, especially as the bulb ages.
mjwagner and Madkao like this.
DunMunro is online now  
post #1425 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 04:12 AM
Member
 
mckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Málaga (SPAIN)
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi !
It is true that the uhz65 lens is made of plastic?

greetings
mckey is offline  
post #1426 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
Not a bad idea. But if 5050UB can match the UHZ65 in picture quality and beats it in gaming performance I will probably switch.
The 5050ub will have more SDE than a DLP, but I guess it depends how close you sit to how much you notice.
If you are in this budget, why not look at a JVC, maybe used?
Mike Johnson 3 likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #1427 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Newbie
 
Madkao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I got the 5050UB and compared it side by side with the UHZ65. The picture quality look the same at 13feet. However, the UHZ65 definitely has more “pop”. It just looks more vibrant. I tried to increase the brightness and contrast on the 5050ub to match the UHZ65 but it just doesn’t look as good in my opinion. So despite the higher gaming lag I’m keeping the UHZ65 and sending back the Epson. I have to say the Epson projector’s physical construction feels higher in quality, and the remote control looks so much better than the UHZ65. In the end the picture trumps everything else for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jherring69, JeffChap and jpbonadio like this.
Madkao is offline  
post #1428 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkao View Post
I got the 5050UB and compared it side by side with the UHZ65. The picture quality look the same at 13feet. However, the UHZ65 definitely has more “pop”. It just looks more vibrant. I tried to increase the brightness and contrast on the 5050ub to match the UHZ65 but it just doesn’t look as good in my opinion. So despite the higher gaming lag I’m keeping the UHZ65 and sending back the Epson. I have to say the Epson projector’s physical construction feels higher in quality, and the remote control looks so much better than the UHZ65. In the end the picture trumps everything else for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you tried Alaric's settings on the 5050? If not, you should do it before sending the Epson back.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #1429 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Are there any real calibrated settings for the 65 on this thread?

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #1430 of 1520 Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 AM
Newbie
 
Madkao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Have you tried Alaric's settings on the 5050? If not, you should do it before sending the Epson back.


Can you tell me what this setting is? Link? Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madkao is offline  
post #1431 of 1520 Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Instant upgrade for my projector:

There are two instant upgrades that I recommend:

The first is an optical hdmi cable. I would have to search my earlier post to get the link, but it was a Monoprice cable.

The latest (and the trigger for this post) is a power filter. I had purchased several of these to use in my audiophile style music production home studio and the benefits, to my ears, were very nice. Clarity and sweetness are greatly enhanced, ear fatigue reduced. I decided to try one on the projector, not expecting any change.

I suppose I should not have been surprised, because the "clarity" was visibly improved. By this I mean that color purity seems to be increased. Subtle color distinctions are suddenly visible, lending to a delicious cinematic rendition.

Current price for this? $179 US. Well worth it in my book. I am currently using several of these in my system, one for the projector, one for my Digital Audio Interface, and one for the power amplifier that drives the speakers. Could you plug everything into just one filter? Yes, but I have found that you get extra (obsessive) benefits by isolating each component from the others. More benefits for keeping the noisiest components from the quieter ones.

I would say, try one and see if you like it on the projector.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DigitalGrease is offline  
post #1432 of 1520 Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
There are two instant upgrades that I recommend:

The first is an optical hdmi cable. I would have to search my earlier post to get the link, but it was a Monoprice cable.

The latest (and the trigger for this post) is a power filter. I had purchased several of these to use in my audiophile style music production home studio and the benefits, to my ears, were very nice. Clarity and sweetness are greatly enhanced, ear fatigue reduced. I decided to try one on the projector, not expecting any change.

I suppose I should not have been surprised, because the "clarity" was visibly improved. By this I mean that color purity seems to be increased. Subtle color distinctions are suddenly visible, lending to a delicious cinematic rendition.

Current price for this? $179 US. Well worth it in my book. I am currently using several of these in my system, one for the projector, one for my Digital Audio Interface, and one for the power amplifier that drives the speakers. Could you plug everything into just one filter? Yes, but I have found that you get extra (obsessive) benefits by isolating each component from the others. More benefits for keeping the noisiest components from the quieter ones.

I would say, try one and see if you like it on the projector.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Agree 100% on using a fiber optic HDMI cable, certainly for anything close to or over 20'. I have good experience using DTECH fiber optic HDMI cable. Wow, your power line must be seriously noisy!

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1433 of 1520 Old 04-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Agree 100% on using a fiber optic HDMI cable, certainly for anything close to or over 20'. I have good experience using DTECH fiber optic HDMI cable. Wow, your power line must be seriously noisy!
Actually, I found fiber superior over any length of wire cable that I tried. Not even close. This could easily be due to ground loop issues or something like that. This might only apply to my particular hardware setup.

Do I live in a very noisy electrical environment? Very likely. Thickly settled, lots of commercial property on the same grid. Could be quite noisy due to many factors.

I am still marveling at the subtle tonality I am getting now. Really sweet. This is all relative to what I was getting before, so your mileage may vary.
DigitalGrease is offline  
post #1434 of 1520 Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,


Great thread!


Can someone paste the last/finalized calibration settings for HDR and SDR? I saw many were discussed, I was wondering if there was a winner? I am a complete rookie at projector settings and this forum. So apologies in advance


BR
fsyed13 is offline  
post #1435 of 1520 Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just wanted to post a pic to show that the blacks on the UHZ65 don't suck A$$ like some people might suggest.

Interstellar

JVC RS540 - UHZ65


https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxta...6-0edaf8f81e27

Of course screen shots are useless and should just be for fun

Does JVC have the best blacks? Yep
Do I really care? Nope

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is offline  
post #1436 of 1520 Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't remember seeing anything saying a firmware update was completed for DolbyVision yet. So what happens when you watch Netflix HDR movie from say an XBOX. Does HDR not activate, does it activate but all messed up?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is offline  
post #1437 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonasHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Just wanted to post a pic to show that the blacks on the UHZ65 don't suck A$$ like some people might suggest.

Interstellar

JVC RS540 - UHZ65


https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxta...6-0edaf8f81e27

Of course screen shots are useless and should just be for fun

Does JVC have the best blacks? Yep
Do I really care? Nope
I have come to the same conclusion.

I don't think the UHZ65 performs well on really low APL-scenes but as soon as a few bright objects (like stars) appear, it performs very well. And most of the time in movies, there are some bright objects in the scenes. On the UHZ65, they really pop!

If you can live with raised black levels, I would recommend running without Dynamic Black - makes image pop more. (My screen is 12 feet wide)
jherring69 likes this.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
JonasHansen is offline  
post #1438 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 AM
Member
 
jklow888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Just wanted to post a pic to show that the blacks on the UHZ65 don't suck A$$ like some people might suggest.

Interstellar

JVC RS540 - UHZ65


https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxta...6-0edaf8f81e27

Of course screen shots are useless and should just be for fun

Does JVC have the best blacks? Yep
Do I really care? Nope
Is it me or the UHZ65 looks "blacker" in the comparison ? Is that due to the more prominent white light from the spaceship or is the RS540 truly so black that your camera is struggling to show that ? I think I could live with what the UHZ65 is showing from that scene.
jklow888 is offline  
post #1439 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
I don't remember seeing anything saying a firmware update was completed for DolbyVision yet. So what happens when you watch Netflix HDR movie from say an XBOX. Does HDR not activate, does it activate but all messed up?
Highly unlikely that any projector will be showing Dolby Vision anytime soon.

Netflix, Prime Video, etc. are all shown in HDR10.
mjwagner likes this.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is offline  
post #1440 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
I have come to the same conclusion.

I don't think the UHZ65 performs well on really low APL-scenes but as soon as a few bright objects (like stars) appear, it performs very well. And most of the time in movies, there are some bright objects in the scenes. On the UHZ65, they really pop!

If you can live with raised black levels, I would recommend running without Dynamic Black - makes image pop more. (My screen is 12 feet wide)
I agree 100% with this.

Thats a huge screen that a lot of projectors would have a hard time lighting up

I'm only using DB1 which isn't noticeable in most scenes. Works good for my room and screen.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off