Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
I agree 100% with this.

Thats a huge screen that a lot of projectors would have a hard time lighting up

I'm only using DB1 which isn't noticeable in most scenes. Works good for my room and screen.
I use DB1 as well. I think it works very well for the majority of content.
jherring69 likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 04:55 AM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklow888 View Post
Is it me or the UHZ65 looks "blacker" in the comparison ? Is that due to the more prominent white light from the spaceship or is the RS540 truly so black that your camera is struggling to show that ? I think I could live with what the UHZ65 is showing from that scene.
It's not a direct comparison. I took the UHZ65 pic and the JVC was copied from the screen shot thread. So different rooms, cameras, screens, etc. Just having some fun . Some of the pictures posted in various threads showing DLP black levels are a joke

We all know that JVC has great blacks, but some of the new DLP's have pretty good blacks as well. I would suggest that anyone that is looking to buy should try to see them in person. I was able to see the RS540 before buying the UHZ65. Besides better blacks and some convenience features that I don't need, the UHZ65 was better at everything else for "ME". And I have since been able to see them both in my own room and am still quite happy with my decision
cardoski and jpbonadio like this.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is offline  
post #1443 of 1520 Old 04-30-2019, 05:09 AM
Member
 
jklow888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thx for clarifying the pics are from different screens and cameras.
jklow888 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If the Laser can Basically shut off, is there any reason to mask the black bar areas on a grey ALR screen? I understand it won't be completely black because the screen is grey, but in a dark room would you even see any light in the black bar area if the laser is off in that area?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #1445 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonasHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
If the Laser can Basically shut off, is there any reason to mask the black bar areas on a grey ALR screen? I understand it won't be completely black because the screen is grey, but in a dark room would you even see any light in the black bar area if the laser is off in that area?
It only shuts off if there is no light in the image. If there is just one tiny bright star in the movie, the laser is not turned off anymore. So I don't see why the laser dimming should affect whether or not to mask.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
jherring69 likes this.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
JonasHansen is offline  
post #1446 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pottscb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklow888 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Just wanted to post a pic to show that the blacks on the UHZ65 don't suck A$$ like some people might suggest.

Interstellar

JVC RS540 - UHZ65


https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxta...6-0edaf8f81e27

Of course screen shots are useless and should just be for fun [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Does JVC have the best blacks? Yep
Do I really care? Nope
Is it me or the UHZ65 looks "blacker" in the comparison ? Is that due to the more prominent white light from the spaceship or is the RS540 truly so black that your camera is struggling to show that ? I think I could live with what the UHZ65 is showing from that scene.
Theres definitely more stars from the JVC but the DLP is closer than any I’ve seen. Do we know if it’s a DC3 or DC4 inside? (Or does this not apply with ~4K pjs)
pottscb is offline  
post #1447 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,


I used Ronny's settings from page 26/27. The colors seem a bit dull and seem to have a yellow tint. I am projecting onto a 120" screen with 1.0 gain and using full optical zoom. Its a small room so have a projection distance of about 12-13 feet.



Appreciate the help


Thanks in advance


Fahad
fsyed13 is offline  
post #1448 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsyed13 View Post
Hi All,


I used Ronny's settings from page 26/27. The colors seem a bit dull and seem to have a yellow tint. I am projecting onto a 120" screen with 1.0 gain and using full optical zoom. Its a small room so have a projection distance of about 12-13 feet.



Appreciate the help


Thanks in advance


Fahad
Their is only one way to get it right, have it professionally calibrated.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1449 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Their is only one way to get it right, have it professionally calibrated.
Can you recommend anyone in the Philadelphia area. I called more than 20 people and no one was ready to do it
fsyed13 is offline  
post #1450 of 1520 Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsyed13 View Post
Can you recommend anyone in the Philadelphia area. I called more than 20 people and no one was ready to do it
I had mine calibrated by Dave Harper who is a contributor here. Can't say enough about Dave himself and the calibration he did for me. You may want to reach out to him. Don't know if he is still doing calibrations but if not he may be able to refer you to someone. He lives in HI now but is originally from PA. Also, you may want to reach out to Audio General (www.audiogeneral.com) which is where I bought my UHZ65 and they may be able to refer you to someone as well.
Dave Harper likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1451 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
cbsdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Probably has been answered before but what actually happens when a 4k dolby vision movie is streamed from and apple tv to the projector. does it process in just HDR10 or does it mess up the image since it can't decode dolby vision signal. How should I adjust any settings to make it right?
cbsdallas is online now  
post #1452 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello!

I am new to forum and projectors! I just got an UHZ65 and I have it connected to Apple TV 4K.

Problem is that is light colors like cloudy sky or snow or light blue sky I get like big spots of pixalated colors, that are slightly diff et color tone...No matter the application or format...
That is in almost every scene and it is so frustrating.

I have a supposingly good hdmi cable 22Gbps (called ‘monster’) and also the Belkin for 48GBps recommenced from Apple ...

Anyone having similar issues? Projector is just out of the box...
xalouris is offline  
post #1453 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Member
 
cbsdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have found that if i freeze a scene where I see that and then adjust the contrast and brightness and sharpness settings by one setting up or down at a time I can make that go away. Getting it calibrated will also eliminate those scenes as well.
cbsdallas is online now  
post #1454 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the factory settings and it is unexcusable to be so bad.... the scenes with snow suck ...and I start noticing that a lot now in almost every sky I see ...I emailed optoma and I think I will return this thing back...


So it is not just my problem ?
xalouris is offline  
post #1455 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalouris View Post
I have the factory settings and it is unexcusable to be so bad.... the scenes with snow suck ...and I start noticing that a lot now in almost every sky I see ...I emailed optoma and I think I will return this thing back...


So it is not just my problem ?
Did you see the previous post? It's pretty rare for a projector to be perfect right out of the box.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
J_P_A is offline  
post #1456 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalouris View Post
Hello!

I am new to forum and projectors! I just got an UHZ65 and I have it connected to Apple TV 4K.

Problem is that is light colors like cloudy sky or snow or light blue sky I get like big spots of pixalated colors, that are slightly diff et color tone...No matter the application or format...
That is in almost every scene and it is so frustrating.

I have a supposingly good hdmi cable 22Gbps (called ‘monster’) and also the Belkin for 48GBps recommenced from Apple ...

Anyone having similar issues? Projector is just out of the box...
How long is your HDMI cable? I do not recommend “Monster” anything, over priced junk. Don’t recommend Belkin either. If it’s a short run, under 15’ just get a “Certified Premium” HDMI cable from Amazon. Monoprice are good but any will do as long as it is “Certified Premium” and has the little hologram tag. If it’s over 15’ you are better off going with a fiber optic HDMI cable. I have had good luck with DTECH and they are reasonably priced on Amazon.
Besides the cable make sure you are connected to the HDMI 2 input. You will need to ensure your settings are correct. Honestly these projectors are high performance pieces of equipment and are not plug and play. They require some knowledge and setup, just like a high performance automobile. Just like most projectors, the OoTB settings are really not that good. If possible your best bet, particularly if you have not had much experience with projectors, is to have it professionally calibrated.
jherring69 likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1457 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffChap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalouris View Post
I have the factory settings and it is unexcusable to be so bad.... the scenes with snow suck ...and I start noticing that a lot now in almost every sky I see ...I emailed optoma and I think I will return this thing back...





So it is not just my problem ?
Try turning off Dynamic Black

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
JeffChap is offline  
post #1458 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There seem to be two distinct issues. One are sort of pixels showing up randomly. This could be the cable. Try setti g manually the source to output 4:2:0 10 bit and see if that helps. The other problem is a kind of video noise. This is noticeable with some blurays more than with others. This should be tested as well. Setting the output of the player to 4:2:2 may cause issues as well and I would not recommend it as the vpr has a very strange way of handling this type of subsampling probably due to the way it internally processes.
Norixone is offline  
post #1459 of 1520 Old 05-02-2019, 08:05 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdallas View Post
Probably has been answered before but what actually happens when a 4k dolby vision movie is streamed from and apple tv to the projector. does it process in just HDR10 or does it mess up the image since it can't decode dolby vision signal. How should I adjust any settings to make it right?

A dolbyvision’s signal has an HDR 10 base layer so that if watched on an HDR10 only display, it should ignore the extra DV info and display in HDR10 only.
jherring69 and mjwagner like this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #1460 of 1520 Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all!

Thank you for the info and kind help! Well, I contacted Optoma and the technical support supervisor told me that it looks like a gamma issue or Edid issue. I was ready to pack it and send it back.

But I experimented a bit more and finally looks correct now after all!

If I have one of the below settings enabled then I get like “oversaturated” big pixalized color spots of light blue in whites like snow, background sky etc...

In Apple TV 4K if I have in the video settings enabled, “Mach dynamic range” or “Match frame rate” or Color set to “4.2.2” or one of “dynamic blacks” in the projector or “pure color’’, then I get this problem. Though the last 2 in the projector settings are not so extremely reproducing the problem.

Does anyone have similar problems? If someone can have any of the above in Apple TV enabled with good results in the projected screen then I will return the unit for repairs once there must be something wrong...

Thanks anyway
xalouris is offline  
post #1461 of 1520 Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Autocorrected, “since there must be something wrong”
xalouris is offline  
post #1462 of 1520 Old 05-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalouris View Post
Hello all!

Thank you for the info and kind help! Well, I contacted Optoma and the technical support supervisor told me that it looks like a gamma issue or Edid issue. I was ready to pack it and send it back.

But I experimented a bit more and finally looks correct now after all!

If I have one of the below settings enabled then I get like “oversaturated” big pixalized color spots of light blue in whites like snow, background sky etc...

In Apple TV 4K if I have in the video settings enabled, “Mach dynamic range” or “Match frame rate” or Color set to “4.2.2” or one of “dynamic blacks” in the projector or “pure color’’, then I get this problem. Though the last 2 in the projector settings are not so extremely reproducing the problem.

Does anyone have similar problems? If someone can have any of the above in Apple TV enabled with good results in the projected screen then I will return the unit for repairs once there must be something wrong...

Thanks anyway

I am having similar issues with mine and it is at the repair shop. One of the things I am certain of is an issue the way this VPR handles 4:2:2 signals. You get colour banding and wrong gamma. You need to use 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 YCbCr. However, you could still be suffering of clipping like mine is (see photos here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuZ7yeDscfZZhJoRtguIVKLCQ1uliw). The only way to solve this problem is to set the player's output to RGB and manully set the VPR to RGB16-235. Mine is messing up gamma with DB on and this is the biggest concern I have. I will probably be having it back on Friday, but until then I am not able to say what is wrong with it.
Norixone is offline  
post #1463 of 1520 Old 05-05-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a feeling this projector has enough light to fill my 130 inch screen in a floor to ceiling windows room however I think my problem will be ambient light hitting the screen. Is anyone happy with this projector in a well lit room? How did you do it? I am showing 28fl from the projector at the screen with the calculator.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #1464 of 1520 Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
I have a feeling this projector has enough light to fill my 130 inch screen in a floor to ceiling windows room however I think my problem will be ambient light hitting the screen. Is anyone happy with this projector in a well lit room? How did you do it? I am showing 28fl from the projector at the screen with the calculator.
The UHZ65 does pretty well with ambient light. I have almost all glass french doors right next to my screen. During the day I usually pull the shade down over the one closest to the screen and it is very acceptable for sports. If I’m going to watch a movie during the day (not typical) I do normally pull both shades down and it is very good. You can see what I’m talking about concerning where the doors are in relation to the screen in the pic below. Note that the screen looks MUCH more washed out in this pic than it really does in person due to the camera exposure. The pic is just to show the door location. The second picture was from this years Masters golf tournament. Again the picture in person was MUCH better than it appears in the pic due to camera exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6DED328-462D-45A4-AAAB-66685C655A9B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2562964   Click image for larger version

Name:	57EC7856-A8D4-4E56-8CB6-ED12BED93061.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2562972  
Dave Harper likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1465 of 1520 Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
I have a feeling this projector has enough light to fill my 130 inch screen in a floor to ceiling windows room however I think my problem will be ambient light hitting the screen. Is anyone happy with this projector in a well lit room? How did you do it? I am showing 28fl from the projector at the screen with the calculator.
The UHZ65 does pretty well with ambient light. I have almost all glass french doors right next to my screen. During the day I usually pull the shade down over the one closest to the screen and it is very acceptable for sports. If I’m going to watch a movie during the day (not typical) I do normally pull both shades down and it is very good. You can see what I’m talking about concerning where the doors are in relation to the screen in the pic below. Note that the screen looks MUCH more washed out in this pic than it really does in person due to the camera exposure. The pic is just to show the door location. The second picture was from this years Masters golf tournament. Again the picture in person was MUCH better than it appears in the pic due to camera exposure.
That's kinda the general consensus that it handles ambient fine. But what you said i was suspecting that the pics showing washout are exaggerated by the camera and it looks better in person. What kind of screen do you have

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #1466 of 1520 Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
That's kinda the general consensus that it handles ambient fine. But what you said i was suspecting that the pics showing washout are exaggerated by the camera and it looks better in person. What kind of screen do you have
The screen is a Carada fixed frame. Great screen but unfortunately Carada is no longer in business.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1467 of 1520 Old 05-06-2019, 03:01 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
I am having similar issues with mine and it is at the repair shop. One of the things I am certain of is an issue the way this VPR handles 4:2:2 signals. You get colour banding and wrong gamma. You need to use 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 YCbCr. However, you could still be suffering of clipping like mine is (see photos here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuZ7yeDscfZZhJoRtguIVKLCQ1uliw). The only way to solve this problem is to set the player's output to RGB and manully set the VPR to RGB16-235. Mine is messing up gamma with DB on and this is the biggest concern I have. I will probably be having it back on Friday, but until then I am not able to say what is wrong with it.

I agree. I reported this issue of having to use 4:4:4 or you’d get banding Long ago. I thought I recall also getting the banding with 4:2:0 though and the only thing that rectified it was using 4:4:4, not even higher bit depth as you’d expect would cure banding. I assumed it was a glitch in its Chroma sub-sampling video processing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
The UHZ65 does pretty well with ambient light. I have almost all glass french doors right next to my screen. During the day I usually pull the shade down over the one closest to the screen and it is very acceptable for sports. If I’m going to watch a movie during the day (not typical) I do normally pull both shades down and it is very good. You can see what I’m talking about concerning where the doors are in relation to the screen in the pic below. Note that the screen looks MUCH more washed out in this pic than it really does in person due to the camera exposure. The pic is just to show the door location. The second picture was from this years Masters golf tournament. Again the picture in person was MUCH better than it appears in the pic due to camera exposure.

Hey, I remember that awesome room (and the awesome meal and company too)!!!
mjwagner likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #1468 of 1520 Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Hey, I remember that awesome room (and the awesome meal and company too)!!!
Good time for sure...and you would like the room even better now that the final phase is done!...you are welcome anytime you are in the area.
Dave Harper likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1469 of 1520 Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,907
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
I have a feeling this projector has enough light to fill my 130 inch screen in a floor to ceiling windows room however I think my problem will be ambient light hitting the screen. Is anyone happy with this projector in a well lit room? How did you do it? I am showing 28fl from the projector at the screen with the calculator.

Tim, you should actually be looking at closer to 55 FtL's. I measured close to 3k lumens on my buddies UHZ65. A 130" 16:9 screen is ~50sq ft. So it's a light cannon. But the image is a tad off with colors at that level. But you can bring it down at night in a more accurate mode for critical viewing.



Where are your windows located in relation to the screen? To the side? And what kind of screen material is it? You should look into an ALR screen if they're off to the side. If it's directly behind you, then invest in more light control like shades or something.


You're just up the road from me in FTL. I'm down in N'rn MIA. Let me know if you need any help!
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1470 of 1520 Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Tim, you should actually be looking at closer to 55 FtL's. I measured close to 3k lumens on my buddies UHZ65. A 130" 16:9 screen is ~50sq ft. So it's a light cannon. But the image is a tad off with colors at that level. But you can bring it down at night in a more accurate mode for critical viewing.



Where are your windows located in relation to the screen? To the side? And what kind of screen material is it? You should look into an ALR screen if they're off to the side. If it's directly behind you, then invest in more light control like shades or something.


You're just up the road from me in FTL. I'm down in N'rn MIA. Let me know if you need any help!
Hey great information. I moved and haven't updated my address, thanks for pointing that out. I'm in Chicago now and the windows are all to the side. I'll definitely get ALR for sure. The screen calculator was set to 2.39 screen and showed at 15 ft, and 130" it was 28fl. It's possible the projector central calculator is off. I will try a different one.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off