Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 1518 Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
I am having similar issues with mine and it is at the repair shop. One of the things I am certain of is an issue the way this VPR handles 4:2:2 signals. You get colour banding and wrong gamma. You need to use 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 YCbCr. However, you could still be suffering of clipping like mine is (see photos here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuZ7yeDscfZZhJoRtguIVKLCQ1uliw). The only way to solve this problem is to set the player's output to RGB and manully set the VPR to RGB16-235. Mine is messing up gamma with DB on and this is the biggest concern I have. I will probably be having it back on Friday, but until then I am not able to say what is wrong with it.
Hello!

So looks that it is a general problem then...Even with 4.2.0 of apple TV 4K, I get still a bit of banding specially in very white background e.g. white cloud sky but your eye has to be trained to see it.
With 4.2.2. of apple TV 4K, the image is almost not watchable...

Let me know the outcome since I am really interested and I might sent mine back too.

The solution to the problem as mentioned is to use 4.4.4. but that is not possible with at least with Apple TV 4K...

What kind of test is this (from your player?) so I can run that at mine UHZ65 too to determine the level of banding?
xalouris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 1518 Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have used DVS test patterns for UHD HDR and Spears and Munsil bluray test disc for SDR. I onfirm that 4:2:2 cannot be used from any source, while 4:2:0 gives banding. The only solution is to output in 4:4:4 as @daveh arper suggests or RGB 16-235. Using RGB means that you will also need to re-calibrate and adjust brightness and contrast settings (which should not be the case if the VPR worked correctly).

Notice that with 4:4:4 YCbCr you are still getting clipping as proven by the tests I have linked.
Dave Harper likes this.
Norixone is offline  
post #1473 of 1518 Old 05-09-2019, 01:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello everyone! I am Jacob, I am from Taiwan, Taipei.
A few days ago, a very interesting toy came to my friend's shop;
That is what everyone expects for a long time, Optoma's 4K dual laser projector ZK1050,
Bright 10,000 lumens double laser, what a dreamy number,
I know that many friends on AVS have great expectations for this machine,
In our hands is the BETA version (trial version)
Not the final version
The machine also has some BUGS
But this machine gave the scene everyone a big shock.
Very bright, very gorgeous, very three-dimensional, very sharp,
I can say a mad word,
Haven't seen this machine, don't think how good your 4K projector is;
haven't seen this machine playing 2KBD, you really don't know how great 2KBD is!
You think HDR is very powerful! But in front of this machine, I can only say...
HDR is really nothing great!
(Of course! I have not tried it on MADVR)
It makes the 30K Japanese laser machine look like a ****
(I know a lot of people don't believe it)

I am sorry that my English must be translated from GOOGLE.
But no matter what,
Please be sure to check this machine with your own eyes.
It is the same Base as the Christie 4K10 HS;
If your budget is at 30K, you must check it out.
If the budget is at 20K, you can look at ZK750 and Christie's 4K7HS
The Screen Excellence 206" (16:9) screen is used in the friend store, with a gain of 0.9.
Panasonic UB900
Since it is a Beta version,
Dynamic Black is not turned on
HDR is not turned on
I highly recommend you: if your budget is enough, if you don't have a rainbow eye (Chinese Saying=RBE)
This projector will definitely be the ultimate goal of your life!
I will post some photos to share with you.
CHEERS!!!






























Troy LaMont and jpbonadio like this.
Jacob Wang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1474 of 1518 Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry! I don't know how to upload photos.
You can press the right link on the map.
Jacob Wang is offline  
post #1475 of 1518 Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
I have used DVS test patterns for UHD HDR and Spears and Munsil bluray test disc for SDR. I onfirm that 4:2:2 cannot be used from any source, while 4:2:0 gives banding. The only solution is to output in 4:4:4 as @daveh arper suggests or RGB 16-235. Using RGB means that you will also need to re-calibrate and adjust brightness and contrast settings (which should not be the case if the VPR worked correctly).

Notice that with 4:4:4 YCbCr you are still getting clipping as proven by the tests I have linked.
Thank you for the information !

I am returning mine to Optoma for repair.

If I am getting a projector that doesn't work with apple TV 4K or has basically problem with the majority of mainstream video sources, that is basically to my opinion a "misleading" product...

If my problem is not fixed I have asked for refund since this is not how the product is advertised.

For sure I cannot select 4.4.4 in apple TV 4K with HDR and for sure it is not acceptable that has also defect on the picture...

This is beta product then and not for market!

I have not yet understood though if all UHZ65s and owners have this problem or it is only my projector...?

I guess all?
xalouris is offline  
post #1476 of 1518 Old 05-09-2019, 05:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm after some advice on Dynamic Black with SDR content. Factory settings /cinema mode, just tweaked brightness /contrast to get reference black and white set up properly.

DB3 is unusable as in dark scenes it occasionally turns the laser nearly off, meaning the few bits of light are barely visible and it looks like the projector has broken.

DB2 generally looks very good, but I'm getting a lot of hilight blowout - particularly noticeable on faces which looks really unpleasant. I tried loads of adjustments (including re-adjusting brightness/contrast) but couldn't make it go away (just made things slightly better by playing with sharpness, some of the pure settings etc) until I finally tried DB1.

DB1 finally solved the blowout issue, but obviously isn't as good for contrast as DB2.

Does anyone know a way of solving the hilight blowout problem while staying with DB2? It's the one thing that's in the way of a perfect setup I think!
thigger is offline  
post #1477 of 1518 Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
@thigger first of all I do not htink Cinema is the best mode. You should use the 2.2 setting. The DB influences a lot the gamma correction curve, so you do not want to set the contrast to high (not more than 1 or 2 clicks). To test pause the image you see with blown out white and modify contrast. Remeber to come out of the menu and wait a few seconds as the overlaied manu does effect the way DB interacts. If you see no change, start the film and go back to the point you had issues with and pause.
Unfortunately, this vpr does have some issues I hope the updated firmware solves.
Norixone is offline  
post #1478 of 1518 Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Returning to the clipping issue, it is confirmed and even the firmware up-dates do not address it. There are two processors in the vpr, one that works on the incomming signal and one that uses the converted signal into RGB to drive the diplay. The first processor messes up the signal clipping it. Optoma UK does not seem to be aware of the problem. I hope this escalates so we will know if it is a limit of the hardware or it can be solved through software.
I am now quite sure that all the UHZ65 out there have the problem, but people seem not to have noticed it.
I would invite all owners to check with the appropriate test pattern (SDR or HDR is the same) and to report back. It may become something Optoma will address if they see more people complaining of this behaviour.
xalouris likes this.
Norixone is offline  
post #1479 of 1518 Old 05-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
Returning to the clipping issue, it is confirmed and even the firmware up-dates do not address it. There are two processors in the vpr, one that works on the incomming signal and one that uses the converted signal into RGB to drive the diplay. The first processor messes up the signal clipping it. Optoma UK does not seem to be aware of the problem. I hope this escalates so we will know if it is a limit of the hardware or it can be solved through software.
I am now quite sure that all the UHZ65 out there have the problem, but people seem not to have noticed it.
I would invite all owners to check with the appropriate test pattern (SDR or HDR is the same) and to report back. It may become something Optoma will address if they see more people complaining of this behaviour.
That is a good approach. I am sending back mine on Monday to be fixed in France. If it is not fixed then I would claim my money back from the shop or exchange with another brand. That is too expensive projector for this kind of defect.

That is inexcusable for such price range and I am pretty sure that much cheaper 4K don’t have this problem....

I will return that for a Sony if problem is not addressed.
xalouris is offline  
post #1480 of 1518 Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
The DB influences a lot the gamma correction curve, so you do not want to set the contrast to high (not more than 1 or 2 clicks). To test pause the image you see with blown out white and modify contrast.
Irritatingly my player puts up an overlay on pause which makes the DB algorithm behave so the whites look good again!

Digging through this thread I've ended up with gamma 2.4 (my room is pretty dark), contrast -10 and used the CMS to reduce the white brightness to -40. This seems to let me use DB1 on SDR content and DB2 on HDR content, with a tiny amount of blowout (barely noticeable and I'd have to drop the contrast a lot further to get none)

The irritating thing about the DB algorithms is that I can use a clipping test pattern and get no clipping at all, but playing a film still has blowouts.

I've had a look at a couple of the settings in here but not found anything that avoids the problem yet (except for ones with DB turned off) - only lowering the contrast and white brightness massively seems to persuade the algorithm to behave.
thigger is offline  
post #1481 of 1518 Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigger View Post
Irritatingly my player puts up an overlay on pause which makes the DB algorithm behave so the whites look good again!

Digging through this thread I've ended up with gamma 2.4 (my room is pretty dark), contrast -10 and used the CMS to reduce the white brightness to -40. This seems to let me use DB1 on SDR content and DB2 on HDR content, with a tiny amount of blowout (barely noticeable and I'd have to drop the contrast a lot further to get none)

The irritating thing about the DB algorithms is that I can use a clipping test pattern and get no clipping at all, but playing a film still has blowouts.

I've had a look at a couple of the settings in here but not found anything that avoids the problem yet (except for ones with DB turned off) - only lowering the contrast and white brightness massively seems to persuade the algorithm to behave.
If you have the Panasonic UB820 or UB9000 UHD player, for disc content see if you can use the gamma sliders to get better DB1 or DB2 control and avoid clipping.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #1482 of 1518 Old 05-13-2019, 05:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
If you have the Panasonic UB820 or UB9000 UHD player, for disc content see if you can use the gamma sliders to get better DB1 or DB2 control and avoid clipping.
My player doesn't do any processing - just spits out YUV 4:4:4 - but I think there are options in my AVR - I'll give it a try, thanks.
thigger is offline  
post #1483 of 1518 Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalouris View Post
That is a good approach. I am sending back mine on Monday to be fixed in France. If it is not fixed then I would claim my money back from the shop or exchange with another brand. That is too expensive projector for this kind of defect.

That is inexcusable for such price range and I am pretty sure that much cheaper 4K don’t have this problem....

I will return that for a Sony if problem is not addressed.
Mine is back to Optoma France today. I hope that it is something that can be fixed or something I am doing wrong. I noticed that other people (from the other UHZ65 thread) are having the same problem. For sure it is not working as it should with Apple TV 4K. I get similar problems to your photos attached. Maybe, as you say depending on your video output format, it can be a common problem but in any case I didn’t buy a projector for a very specific video output setting and it shall work with all expected mainstream formats.

I will let you know the outcome and I cross my fingers since I really like this projector. If it is a common problem with all UHZ65s then I will go for the refund option most probably.
xalouris is offline  
post #1484 of 1518 Old 05-14-2019, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Very curious to here what Optoma France says. Optoma UK said it may be that the projector is too close to the screen. I wonder if they have even red the manual. It is possible to lower the laser output. However, even if it were at 1 metre from the screen with zoom fully opened it should be possible to see the various shades of white and colour of the clipping tests. Anyway, it seems that the UHD65 has the same issue and I do not think this clipping problem can be solved.
Norixone is offline  
post #1485 of 1518 Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m new to the forum and looking for help accessing the service menus on my UHZ65 so that my automation guy can do a full calibration. According to him he needs access to the menu in order to make the adjustments. Any help would be appreciated.
Cain57 is offline  
post #1486 of 1518 Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain57 View Post
I’m new to the forum and looking for help accessing the service menus on my UHZ65 so that my automation guy can do a full calibration. According to him he needs access to the menu in order to make the adjustments. Any help would be appreciated.
Google:

Optoma UHZ65 Service Menu Codes
DunMunro is online now  
post #1487 of 1518 Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you! I previously googled for Optoma UHZ65 service menu but couldn’t find it.
Cain57 is offline  
post #1488 of 1518 Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain57 View Post
Thank you! I previously googled for Optoma UHZ65 service menu but couldn’t find it.
https://www.projection-homecinema.fr...age-1/?page=34
645824 likes this.
xalouris is offline  
post #1489 of 1518 Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
dostrander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I actually just received the DK8500Z late yesterday and will be doing a quick calibration turnaround to the client. So far it looks promising. I think I like the HDR modes (HDR-PQ400/500/1,000) but the S-Curve seems a lot better to use for a projector with HDR.

Don't let anyone fool you. Brightness just may be king when it comes to HDR folks. Many people are stuck in their old SDR thinking and mentality with low lumen "Home Theater" projectors totally and only maximizing native contrast (which is great and VERY important), but I personally don't think it's 100% THE most important aspect now when we are talking HDR. If you can get acceptable black levels and shadow details, which this DK8500Z unit with its Dynamic Black and the LK970 has (at least when I optimize them anyway), then the added punch and headroom you get with these high brightness projectors can't be matched for the money with HDR. You hardly have to tone map, similar to flat panels.

I have some numbers for the LK970 too, but I have to translate them over to a matte white screen. I won't clog this thread anymore since this is for the UHZ65. I'll post something on the LK970 thread.

It could be delayed as I found out my grandmother passed away over the weekend so I'll be flying out and be away for up to two weeks after this Thursday.





You're welcome!

Hey Dave- How are you? I am curious what your thoughts are on DK8500Z fan noise? I posted a question before about the LK990 that I just ordered and how it's zoom range and my throw distance don't seem to work based upon the chart in the User Manual... See my post below, and let me know what you think. I would really appreciate your thoughts. The location of the lift where the projector would reside is about 10' feet behind me and 8 feet above me. Thanks!

Hey Guys- this is my first post on this forum, though I've been following it for a while... I just ordered a BenQ LK990 to replace my Sony VPL-VW1100ES that is not bright enough for my 160" diagonal Screen Innovations Slate screen. After ordering, I downloaded the user manual from the BenQ website and noticed that the projector doesn't have enough zoom range to create a small enough image for my 160" screen from my throw distance which is mandated by a preexisting projector lift that is installed in the ceiling. I do not have a way to lessen the throw distance... Is there any way to rectify this and still use the LK990? It is the perfect brightness for my screen and room lighting conditions and I can't seem to find anything else that will fit on my lift that has the zoom I need, save going with a Vivitek DK8500Z with their range of zoom lenses... The fan noise is the deterrent from going with the Vivitek, as it is 40dB and I don't have an enclosure around the lift to block the noise from the primary seating location in my Media/Living Room. Do you have any recommendations? I'm open to going with the Vivitek if there is no other solution, but would like to hear from others who have used it if the fan noise is obtrusive... PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

Best
Dave
dostrander is offline  
post #1490 of 1518 Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostrander View Post
Hey Dave- How are you? I am curious what your thoughts are on DK8500Z fan noise? I posted a question before about the LK990 that I just ordered and how it's zoom range and my throw distance don't seem to work based upon the chart in the User Manual... See my post below, and let me know what you think. I would really appreciate your thoughts. The location of the lift where the projector would reside is about 10' feet behind me and 8 feet above me. Thanks!



Hey Guys- this is my first post on this forum, though I've been following it for a while... I just ordered a BenQ LK990 to replace my Sony VPL-VW1100ES that is not bright enough for my 160" diagonal Screen Innovations Slate screen. After ordering, I downloaded the user manual from the BenQ website and noticed that the projector doesn't have enough zoom range to create a small enough image for my 160" screen from my throw distance which is mandated by a preexisting projector lift that is installed in the ceiling. I do not have a way to lessen the throw distance... Is there any way to rectify this and still use the LK990? It is the perfect brightness for my screen and room lighting conditions and I can't seem to find anything else that will fit on my lift that has the zoom I need, save going with a Vivitek DK8500Z with their range of zoom lenses... The fan noise is the deterrent from going with the Vivitek, as it is 40dB and I don't have an enclosure around the lift to block the noise from the primary seating location in my Media/Living Room. Do you have any recommendations? I'm open to going with the Vivitek if there is no other solution, but would like to hear from others who have used it if the fan noise is obtrusive... PLEASE HELP!!!



Thanks so much everyone!



Best

Dave

Hey Dave!

I believe I answered this in the other thread. Let me know if I missed anything.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #1491 of 1518 Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have any tips for HDR calibration? I'm new to the game and have an i3display Pro and HCFR software.
I've managed SDR pretty well (happy to share my settings, they're quite different to ones posted previously - I'm not sure if it relates to being in the UK, or on a more recent firmware) but HDR is being difficult - primarily because I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm trying for rec2020/P3 but end up quite far out, particularly on luminance values - which may be simply that I'm using the wrong patterns or something (I have the Mehanik HDR10 set and have been using the 'Single Colors' C724).


Thanks for any advice!
thigger is offline  
post #1492 of 1518 Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
@thigger : the ID3PRO cannot be used to calibrate a laser projector. You will first need to have a calibration curve for any of the commercially available probes in order to get a trusted calibration.
Norixone is offline  
post #1493 of 1518 Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
@thigger : the ID3PRO cannot be used to calibrate a laser projector. You will first need to have a calibration curve for any of the commercially available probes in order to get a trusted calibration.
Shame. Just been reading up on this. Has anyone created a CCSS or EDR file for the UHZ65? (or a CCMX for the UHZ65 with an i1display? I appreciate that wouldn't be as good when used with mine).

On the plus side it does look pretty good already even though I've obviously not done it properly! The real plus side for me was that the blown out highlights (with dynamic black) I was getting have mostly gone. I started with a relatively low contrast setting and a very reduced brightness on "white" in the CMS, and the extra adjustments I made as a result of my calibration effort seem to have made it even better.
thigger is offline  
post #1494 of 1518 Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
@thigger the blown out images could be due to the clipping issue I have been discussing and that is caused by an hardware limitation. I will be getting mine back on Friday and then have it calibrated by a professional using the RGB settings so to avoid the clipping issue. Will let you know how that turns out.
Norixone is offline  
post #1495 of 1518 Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigger View Post
Does anyone have any tips for HDR calibration? I'm new to the game and have an i3display Pro and HCFR software.
I've managed SDR pretty well (happy to share my settings, they're quite different to ones posted previously - I'm not sure if it relates to being in the UK, or on a more recent firmware) but HDR is being difficult - primarily because I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm trying for rec2020/P3 but end up quite far out, particularly on luminance values - which may be simply that I'm using the wrong patterns or something (I have the Mehanik HDR10 set and have been using the 'Single Colors' C724).

Thanks for any advice!
The UHZ65 will be capable of calibrating to P3 only with the aid of a color filter. Blue and yellow are a bit wider than Rec 709 and the other colors will be farther out. You can look at the TV specialists video to see what I'm talking about.

SDR 709 can be calibrated accordingly, but pay close attention to controlling blue which can be overwhelming out of the box.

If that's your only complaint, then you'll find the UHZ65 is a projector capable of throwing beautiful, bright, and dynamic images. Good luck with the calibration.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #1496 of 1518 Old 06-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
The UHZ65 will be capable of calibrating to P3 only with the aid of a color filter.
Thanks. Without a colour filter what's the best practice? Try to get the dE as low as possible? Try to get the position on the CIE chart as close as possible? Target something smaller instead? When I tried I was using 100% saturation; I've since learned I should probably try again with 75%. Though to be fair my "calibration" (despite the various issues that have been pointed out) has made a big difference to the projector.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone
@thigger the blown out images could be due to the clipping issue I have been discussing and that is caused by an hardware limitation. I will be getting mine back on Friday and then have it calibrated by a professional using the RGB settings so to avoid the clipping issue. Will let you know how that turns out
I think mine is probably software as turning DB off makes it go away entirely. I'm using 4:4:4 10-bit. I'd be interested to see if anything changes with you though. With my fiddling with the settings (half calibration, half randomly lowering white brightness and contrast) I can use DB1 on SDR content and DB2 on HDR content and you have to look really hard to see any hilight issues.
thigger is offline  
post #1497 of 1518 Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Norixone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
When the DB is at work it will apply a gamma curve to lower blacks and brighten the highlights and the laser dims as much as allowed by the software analysing the APL of the image. If the peak brightness is well above the vpr's capabilities then you will get blown out highlights. As the vpr is clipping it will not allow you to see a anything above it's clipping point. Lowering the brightness is a false solution. It is like lowering the treble to get rid of very bright highs. In reality it is the tweeter incapable of reproducing them correctly. Using RGB allows you for a larger range and does not compromise the overall picture by correcting extensively brightness and contrast
Norixone is offline  
post #1498 of 1518 Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'll have a go with RGB - I think my player can only output YUV 444 or 422, but I have a PC I can try (though I recall when I tried a while back it didn't seem much better; unfortunately it doesn't support HDR either so it's not a long-term solution).


I've also heard back from x-rite about using the colorimeter - they claim that it's OK to use the standard "projector" settings with the i1display pro (or colormunki display) - I've asked them specifically if they have a correction file for use with a laser projector and will let people here know if I get one! If anyone has, or fancies making one, for the UHZ65 I'd be very grateful! (I gather anyone who has a posh spectrophotometer rather than a colorimeter can do it)
thigger is offline  
post #1499 of 1518 Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I managed to find a setting for my player to change the colourspace to almost anything I want. I tried RGB 10-bit and RGB 12-bit but the blown-out highlights with DB are exactly the same as with YUV 444 and 422. So for the moment I'm sticking with my solution of turning down the white brightness in the CMS which seems to work pretty well (at least, I find it preferable to turning DB off)

X-Rite say that they will consider creating settings for laser projectors (if you want to use an i1display or colormunki please email them!) but for now the filters within the device are good enough that you should get reasonable results using the standard "projector" settings. If anyone with a spectrophotometer wants to record a spectrum for the UHZ65 though, that'd be the best solution for those of us using colorimeters!
jherring69 likes this.
thigger is offline  
post #1500 of 1518 Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
dubmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Florence, Italy - UHZ65 - Various LG B6 Oleds -
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New owner - Noise problem

Hi all, i installed my new uhz65 two days ago and i'm afraid i got a faulty unit. There's a grinding noise related to the color wheel, the noise changes in pitch as the color wheel synchronizes with the displayed content. With 1080i and 1080p it's louder than with 2160p 24 or 60. The main action that i ask the other owners is if they can test a variation in noise when applying a test pattern via the internal menu. With my uhz65 the grinding noise completely disappears with a test pattern displayed. I also suspect that the grinding noise is related to the color wheel not rotating freely, thus slower. That's because i noticed some bad RBE, even worst than my old infocus 7200.
I'm going to make a video with the noise changing with the various inputs and signals, that video was required by the vendor, who can probably talk with Optoma Italy about it.

Otherwise i'm completely blown away with the PQ.

regards
Marco

dubmaster
dubmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off