Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 796Likes

post #1501 of 1518 Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Marco definetly a faulty product. Send it back for replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1518 Old 06-14-2019, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, altough since yesterday the noise is less present. Now there is little difference between 1080p 60 or 50 hz and the test pattern regarding noise level. Still some difference in 24p uhd or fhd. So i’m very doubtful about the RMA. I guess i ll keep it running a few more hours and decide after the weekend.

dubmaster
post #1503 of 1518 Old 06-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigger View Post
Digging through this thread I've ended up with gamma 2.4 (my room is pretty dark), contrast -10 and used the CMS to reduce the white brightness to -40. This seems to let me use DB1 on SDR content and DB2 on HDR content, with a tiny amount of blowout (barely noticeable and I'd have to drop the contrast a lot further to get none)

The irritating thing about the DB algorithms is that I can use a clipping test pattern and get no clipping at all, but playing a film still has blowouts.

I've had a look at a couple of the settings in here but not found anything that avoids the problem yet (except for ones with DB turned off) - only lowering the contrast and white brightness massively seems to persuade the algorithm to behave.

When you say "blowout" here, could you elaborate on what exactly you're experiencing when you use this word?

I'm curious because I've been watching content through Kodi on a connected Windows 10 machine and occasionally have what I would describe as "flickering" where the brightness of the scene noticeably changes (for example, the Arya scene in Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 3 where she's trapped in the library). I've played extensively with the settings in trying to compensate for the darkness or if there's some way to mitigate these issues and haven't found anything that works well. I'm also not certain if it's the machine's graphics itself that is the underlying cause of the problem, but I was hoping to get some insight from others to see if I can figure this out and if what you're experiencing is similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1518 Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey, guys!
Can anyone tell me how to use the 3D of this projector?
Works only with PC?
Could you tell me the step by step?
3D is good at Uhz 65?
One more question, is the lag too great for online games?
Would using the HDMI 1080p port not improve the lag in the games?
Thank you very much!
post #1505 of 1518 Old 06-18-2019, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Tuesday update, the noise is strong again, exactly as in the few first hours of use. It was an illusion fueled by the incredible picture quality I'm finally seeing, now that my 4:4:4 12 bit HDR chain is in operation. Yesterday night I watched Blade Runner 2049 and the noise was very noticeable, definitely not normal for this class of projector. RMA should be authorized soon.

dubmaster
post #1506 of 1518 Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaby View Post
Can anyone tell me how to use the 3D of this projector?
Works only with PC?

AFAIK it only works with a PC, the UHZ65 belongs to the first generation of 4K E-Shift DLP projectors which didn't support DLP Link 3D from 3D Blu-ray program content.

ProjectorCentral: Limited 3D. The color modes in the menu includes 3D, but there is no support for Blu-ray 3D. The UHZ65 supports only PC-based 3D.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ter-Review.htm

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #1507 of 1518 Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
These projectors support 4k / 60 / SDR / sRGB 8 bit, correct? How sharp is pc desktop at 4k DPI scaling 100%?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1508 of 1518 Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmaster View Post
Tuesday update, the noise is strong again, exactly as in the few first hours of use. It was an illusion fueled by the incredible picture quality I'm finally seeing, now that my 4:4:4 12 bit HDR chain is in operation. Yesterday night I watched Blade Runner 2049 and the noise was very noticeable, definitely not normal for this class of projector. RMA should be authorized soon.
Defiantly go forward with the RMA. Other than a little fan noise this projector should be silent during regular operation. I sometimes do get a some noise when changing sources. The first couple times it started me and I was about to return it, but it seems normal now.
post #1509 of 1518 Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 PM

blubaby
Hello
Does anyone know how to use 3D on the PC? Could you please pass your settings? Thank you
post #1510 of 1518 Old 06-22-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Aggie View Post
When you say "blowout" here, could you elaborate on what exactly you're experiencing when you use this word?

Most noticeable in reflections on people's foreheads - the bright hilight and all the light areas around it are all just white; whereas if you turn DB off there's the bright hilight but there is some texture visible in the light parts surrounding it. It's a pain, but I've minimised it by turning down the white brightness in the CMS, and I live with what's left because I think overall DB improves things.
post #1511 of 1518 Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
I just moved this from a related thread in case the discussion is moved here or the poster who inquired looks here.

Hi, Mark. I see you're still on the fence.

PM me or give me a jingle. I had the UHZ65. It's a great DLP laser projector, especially in terms of brightness and dynamic contrast, what I would call pretty excellent. Operating noise should not be an issue either. Also, its processing gives its images a fluid, silky look, like combining celluloid film with digital clarity --very nice. And did I mention its light source doesn't date back to the days when lamps were one's only option.

Its dynamic contrast in DB2 and DB3 (full off) will easily outperform my HT9060's.

However, it has limited lens shift and a lens that isn't as good as the HT9060's. When I had the UHZ65, some lettering was disappearing on my PJ's menu screen. The color wheel seems to operate slowly, so RBE is a serious concern for those susceptible. Also, using the UHZ' DB2 caused brightness compression which from time to time I would see in faces being blown out or obscured. Remember, its dynamic dimming can be set to very aggressive, which DB2 is, meaning you are going from the machine's c. 1,100:1 or so plus native contrast to over 20,000:1 dynamic. You can use DB1 though.

If I were focused on a DLP projector having in mind mainly better contrast and black level performance and had to decide between the Optoma UHZ65 and the BenQ HT9060, I would choose the UHZ65.

Good luck with what you decide.
markmon1, xpostal and jpbonadio like this.
post #1512 of 1518 Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quick question should I be using different display settings when I am viewing HDR content. If so what would those settings be like generally.
post #1513 of 1518 Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Help !!

Hello Does anyone know how to use 3D on the PC? Could you please pass your settings? Thank you
post #1514 of 1518 Old 06-27-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdallas View Post
Quick question should I be using different display settings when I am viewing HDR content. If so what would those settings be like generally.
I would read through this thread. There are a couple people that posted several settings options.
post #1515 of 1518 Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Help !!

Hello Does anyone know how to use 3D on the PC? Could you please pass your settings? Thank you
I don't recall anyone on this thread saying much about the 3D option with this projector. It may not be worth the effort. It is very limited at best from what I have gathered.
If you really want 3D this is not the right projector for you. I like 3D but chose this projector anyway. I was the only one in my house that ever used it and it was infrequent at best. If I really get the urge, I will clean up my old PJ get a new bulb and do a temporary setup for the one movie I will watch in 3D every year or so.
post #1516 of 1518 Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdallas View Post
I have a UHD65 which is mostly identical except for using a bulb instead of a laser. I don't change settings for HDR versus non-HDR. I calibrated everything for non-HDR and just let the pj do its thing once it detects HDR source.

You may find it a little dim and the colors to be oversaturated for some material.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
xpostal likes this.
post #1517 of 1518 Old 07-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Help !!

I haven't actually done it from the PC, but I understand that's where the one format the projector accepts is usually available. The projector expects the left and right frames to alternate.

I use a normal 3D-capable Samsung UHD Blu-Ray player into a 3D Now 3DN-200 box (converts from normal 3D to projector format), a Marantz 7010 AVR, and into the projector. It works with standard DLP-Link 3D glasses, with some on-screen signal syncing the glasses. It took a while to get it working, and the sync was a bit finicky, but the results were OK. You have to be at 720P 60Hz I think, so the picture could be better. I think I wrote this up earlier in this thread, or the box was mentioned earlier.

Theoretically you should be able to convert to the required format on the PC, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to do it. It would be nice to just stream the correct format to Plex on a Roku.
post #1518 of 1518 Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

End of my case, DOA approved, RMA, swap.

Now I have a quiet unit, this one performs much quieter than the first one.

Thanks Optoma Europe.
jherring69 and xpostal like this.

dubmaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page