Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 833Likes

post #1531 of 1682 Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
I love the projector as well. Bright, dynamic and powerful colors.

But I really don't get how Optoma can launch a product with such visible flaws out of the box. And if it is an issue on my machine, then I assume everybody have this issue? Have others in here seen it? And how was it resolved if you don't have calibration gear lying around?
I wouldn't call it flawed as long as you have the option to disable the feature. DB is one of the first things I turned off. I tend to dislike most artificial image enhancement functions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1682 Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
I wouldn't call it flawed as long as you have the option to disable the feature. DB is one of the first things I turned off. I tend to dislike most artificial image enhancement functions.

You can also ignore a non-working air consition in a car if you dont like air condition... But from an objective point of view, the car is flawed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #1533 of 1682 Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
You can also ignore a non-working air consition in a car if you dont like air condition... But from an objective point of view, the car is flawed.

It's not flawed if you can remedy the situation by simply turning the A/C on. That's my point. If you don't like what DB does, turn it off. Pretty simple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1682 Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2783 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
It's not flawed if you can remedy the situation by simply turning the A/C on. That's my point. If you don't like what DB does, turn it off. Pretty simple.

Turning it off is an option, yes.

But I also think that turning DB all the way off would cripple this projector because the dynamic dimming on the UHZ works at different ADL levels too, so not just all dark or fade to blacks. Otherwise, you relegate the projector to about 1,000:1 contrast at those same scenes.

Jonas, you might want to pull up the menu in the projector and try turning down contrast to -3 and color to -4. I'm guessing this is a brightness compression artifact and making those adjustments will help.

Let us know what happens.
post #1535 of 1682 Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love the projector as well. Bright, dynamic and powerful colors.

But I really don't get how Optoma can launch a product with such visible flaws out of the box. And if it is an issue on my machine, then I assume everybody have this issue? Have others in here seen it? And how was it resolved if you don't have calibration gear lying around?

When I had the UHZ, I used it in DB2 and did see some brightness compression artifacts, basically clipping. I don't recall seeing a color change, but then again I did not watch that particular scene.
post #1536 of 1682 Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I have an issues with the UHZ65.

When using dynamic black (lowest level) I get some weird artifacts in the image.

See attached: First image is with dynamic black - notice the yellow'ish color on her forehead.

Second image is without dynamic black where the artifacts are gone.

Has this been discussed previously in the thread?

It's a clipping issue and I have sent a full report to Optoma headquarters through their teck support in Italy.
You will need a test disc like Dvs for hdr or Spear and Munsil for sdr to assess the problem. You will need to change the brightness and contrast on the bluray player and then fine tune with the vpr controls. Careful not to shift the white point in the attempt to remove clipping.
post #1537 of 1682 Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
It's a clipping issue and I have sent a full report to Optoma headquarters through their teck support in Italy.
You will need a test disc like Dvs for hdr or Spear and Munsil for sdr to assess the problem. You will need to change the brightness and contrast on the bluray player and then fine tune with the vpr controls. Careful not to shift the white point in the attempt to remove clipping.
Thanks. My request to Optoma Scandinavia has been forwarded to Optoma HQ as well.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #1538 of 1682 Old 09-18-2019, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
When using dynamic black (lowest level) I get some weird artifacts in the image.

I have exactly the same. Unfortunately it seems to be a software issue - I'd be interested to hear if Optoma manage to do anything about it!

Ultimately the only true solution I found was to turn DB off, but I prefer the image with it on.

My method of minimising it was to reduce the contrast, and reduce the brightness of the white point in the CMS. Doing that (I appreciate there are good reasons not to, but it's a preference thing) I can use DB2 on HDR movies and DB1 on SDR with the clipping barely noticeable.
post #1539 of 1682 Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 AM

Using any test disc you will notice that the plunge low patterns cannot display the blacker than black (below level 16 in sdr) even when rising the brightness to max. On video this means that lower black levels are crushed. Adjusting the brightness slide on the bluray player by 1 or 2 steps allows to display the blacker than black test patterns. Same with the white clipping test patterns. The vpr cannot display anything above level 238.Adjusting contrast on the player allows to display the whole scale, but the countereffect is white shifting to yellow. You can achieve a 242 to 244 without any shift. However this means that the the brightest levels are clipped. Same for hdr. I still have to send a report on these settings to Optoma, but they have already been informed of what is going on. I doubt they will do anything with any of the information received so far unless they start loosing sales. And with vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theaters, I doubt they will do anything even for future reiterations of their products.
post #1540 of 1682 Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Using any test disc you will notice that the plunge low patterns cannot display the blacker than black (below level 16 in sdr) even when rising the brightness to max. On video this means that lower black levels are crushed. Adjusting the brightness slide on the bluray player by 1 or 2 steps allows to display the blacker than black test patterns. Same with the white clipping test patterns. The vpr cannot display anything above level 238.Adjusting contrast on the player allows to display the whole scale, but the countereffect is white shifting to yellow. You can achieve a 242 to 244 without any shift. However this means that the the brightest levels are clipped. Same for hdr. I still have to send a report on these settings to Optoma, but they have already been informed of what is going on. I doubt they will do anything with any of the information received so far unless they start loosing sales. And with vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theaters, I doubt they will do anything even for future reiterations of their products.
You are not supposed to see blacker than black and whiter than white bars, when using normal video levels. That is normal.

Change the player and projector to enhanced/superwhite/whatever its called and you can see those, but it is not the right way to do it.

Black is black and the next brighter bar should be just barely seen.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #1541 of 1682 Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does the banding in HDR on the ATV 4k going to wreck the experience? I am seriously considering buying the UHZ65 but have read on this forum and watched this youtube video (9 min mark) about how bad HDR is on the ATV 4k because of the 4:4:4 limitation. I have read Dave Harper post about this long ago but I want to know if its something still watchable. I know I can use SDR with 4:4:4 to make it disappear but was going to purchase the UHZ65 for its HDR and brightness.

Is the UHZ65 in HDR on the ATV really that bad or is it watchable? Is it in select scenes or throughout the movie?

Thanks for any input.

post #1542 of 1682 Old 10-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Something caught my eye in your post.......what do you mean by "vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theater"?
post #1543 of 1682 Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eckert View Post
Something caught my eye in your post.......what do you mean by "vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theater"?
With large TV sets becoming larger, cheaper and more convenient to use and having better colour and contrast vprs are bound to go out of business. I think within 2022 we will have LCD and oled TVs larger than 100" at prices comparable or even lower than good quality vprs (5k usd). However, TVs will not suffer all the drawbacks of videoprojection. Microled displays are showing up and I presume that in 10 years from now these will be taking over the cinemas and start entering the consumer market as well. So my comment about vpr makers not too much interested in providing the best possible product in this market destined to die out.
post #1544 of 1682 Old 10-04-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5728 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
With large TV sets becoming larger, cheaper and more convenient to use and having better colour and contrast vprs are bound to go out of business. I think within 2022 we will have LCD and oled TVs larger than 100" at prices comparable or even lower than good quality vprs (5k usd). However, TVs will not suffer all the drawbacks of videoprojection. Microled displays are showing up and I presume that in 10 years from now these will be taking over the cinemas and start entering the consumer market as well. So my comment about vpr makers not too much interested in providing the best possible product in this market destined to die out.
Sorry but this has been discussed a ton elsewhere. Projectors aren't going away. Nor is a 100" screen good enough for most that have projectors. People are going even larger on their screens. I only have a 135" screen and I can tell you no way I'd settle for a 100, 110 instead. My friend just built his room with a 185" screen.

The micro led screens that are comparable sizes are going to need dedicated power outlets and be generating far too much heat for a regular theater type room. The technologies that aren't able to be assembled separately would be getting too large to fit through normal house door ways etc. Not to mention there's no way to have acoustically transparent LED TV screens.

Currently, the Christie Eclipse projector, which supposedly costs in the 6 figures, outputs true LED like contrast and picture and is far cheaper than equivalently sized microLED screens. Projector technology is constantly being worked on and advancing.
645824 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1545 of 1682 Old 10-04-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I sure wish this projector did 3D blu-ray.

Any chance that Optoma comes out with a replacement model that does 3D blu-ray?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Tom Monahan; 10-04-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #1546 of 1682 Old 10-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi uhz65 owners,

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about optoma’s new zk series? The zk1050 and zk750 in particular. On paper they look identical to the uhz65, aside from a significant bump in brightness. Same dual laser technology, same DLP chip, etc. If color range and contrast are on par with the uhz65 I would be really interested.
post #1547 of 1682 Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Sorry but this has been discussed a ton elsewhere. Projectors aren't going away. Nor is a 100" screen good enough for most that have projectors. People are going even larger on their screens. I only have a 135" screen and I can tell you no way I'd settle for a 100, 110 instead. My friend just built his room with a 185" screen.

The micro led screens that are comparable sizes are going to need dedicated power outlets and be generating far too much heat for a regular theater type room. The technologies that aren't able to be assembled separately would be getting too large to fit through normal house door ways etc. Not to mention there's no way to have acoustically transparent LED TV screens.

Currently, the Christie Eclipse projector, which supposedly costs in the 6 figures, outputs true LED like contrast and picture and is far cheaper than equivalently sized microLED screens. Projector technology is constantly being worked on and advancing.
I'd like to add another reason. Good projection can look more organic than LED panel/screens. There have been times when the line separation within an LED TV made its displayed images look cartoon'ish to me.

The UHZ65 has a very celluloid look to its images that I liked a lot.
mjwagner likes this.
post #1548 of 1682 Old 10-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
The UHZ65 has a very celluloid look to its images that I liked a lot.

Same here! Once I saw that with the UHZ65 I was sold right away.
mjwagner, xpostal, Aztar35 and 1 others like this.
post #1549 of 1682 Old 10-06-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine121 View Post
Same here! Once I saw that with the UHZ65 I was sold right away.
That and the image brightness, even after calibration!

Mark
post #1550 of 1682 Old 10-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

I respect yours and others thoughts, but I do not agree. Technology advances very rapidly and people bought plasma despite their very high electric consumption. There was a time in which oleds were said to be impossible due to issues with the red phospho. Companies are trying to make microled mainstream so I bet this is the future together with larger oled panels. To me LCD is coming to an end as well. Of course there will always be a place for vpr, LCD etc. but that does not mean there will be major investments and therefore improvements in the future compared to what is already available. Then let's not forget how much it to vpr to catch up with 4k and we are already on the verge of 8k.
post #1551 of 1682 Old 10-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
I sure wish this projector did 3D blu-ray.

Any chance that Optoma comes out with a replacement model that does 3D blu-ray?

Thanks,
Tom
Yes there is a new model already available in China and it seems it is going to launch in Europe at the end of the year in time for the Xmas holidays.
Tom Monahan likes this.
post #1552 of 1682 Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Yes there is a new model already available in China and it seems it is going to launch in Europe at the end of the year in time for the Xmas holidays.
Hey that sounds great. Another item added to the list of things to buy this christmas
post #1553 of 1682 Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I sure hope it comes to the US. Thanks!

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #1554 of 1682 Old 10-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
That and the image brightness, even after calibration!
I am with you on this. you say celluloid, I think it is more natural looking. I see so many TV's today that the image is nothing like what I see in real life. Hyper-contrast images do not look real they are just too sharp.
post #1555 of 1682 Old 10-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsano1 View Post
Does the banding in HDR on the ATV 4k going to wreck the experience? I am seriously considering buying the UHZ65 but have read on this forum and watched this youtube video (9 min mark) about how bad HDR is on the ATV 4k because of the 4:4:4 limitation. I have read Dave Harper post about this long ago but I want to know if its something still watchable. I know I can use SDR with 4:4:4 to make it disappear but was going to purchase the UHZ65 for its HDR and brightness.

Is the UHZ65 in HDR on the ATV really that bad or is it watchable? Is it in select scenes or throughout the movie?

Thanks for any input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhquP1s0Yo
To me it is very watchable. I use the ATV on a daily basis. I do like the SDR look on some programming, but usually have it on HDR. Get good cables and you will not see banding. I have been tweaking my settings based on what others have tested in this thread, and do not get blown highlights or banding issues.
post #1556 of 1682 Old 10-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The Optoma ZK507 was recently released and its thread is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rp-5500-a.html

This might be considered a brighter successor to the UHZ65. We'll have to wait until someone gets our hands on one to confirm if it is a successor, or an alternative market segment. Black level should answer that question.

Scott
post #1557 of 1682 Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does 3D work on this projector when the source is a media player such as Apple TV or the Nvidia Shield TV ?
post #1558 of 1682 Old 10-21-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Does 3D work on this projector when the source is a media player such as Apple TV or the Nvidia Shield TV ?
No.

Mark
post #1559 of 1682 Old 10-21-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Need more vertical lens shift.

Quote:
I was hoping for about a year that if Optoma released an upgrade of the UHZ65, they would increase the vertical lens shift more than 15% as it is on the current model. From what I've read, that has not changed. Disappointing.
post #1560 of 1682 Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Has someone measured the contrast using this kind of pattern ? With and without the Dynamic Black ?

It will give a very reliable result on how this projector handle dark scenes.

Because wiith its 1100:1 ANSI contrast, I'm surprised that this projector can do well on dark scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page