Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 802Likes

post #1531 of 1540 Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
I love the projector as well. Bright, dynamic and powerful colors.

But I really don't get how Optoma can launch a product with such visible flaws out of the box. And if it is an issue on my machine, then I assume everybody have this issue? Have others in here seen it? And how was it resolved if you don't have calibration gear lying around?
I wouldn't call it flawed as long as you have the option to disable the feature. DB is one of the first things I turned off. I tend to dislike most artificial image enhancement functions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1540 Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
I wouldn't call it flawed as long as you have the option to disable the feature. DB is one of the first things I turned off. I tend to dislike most artificial image enhancement functions.

You can also ignore a non-working air consition in a car if you dont like air condition... But from an objective point of view, the car is flawed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #1533 of 1540 Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
You can also ignore a non-working air consition in a car if you dont like air condition... But from an objective point of view, the car is flawed.

It's not flawed if you can remedy the situation by simply turning the A/C on. That's my point. If you don't like what DB does, turn it off. Pretty simple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1540 Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
It's not flawed if you can remedy the situation by simply turning the A/C on. That's my point. If you don't like what DB does, turn it off. Pretty simple.

Turning it off is an option, yes.

But I also think that turning DB all the way off would cripple this projector because the dynamic dimming on the UHZ works at different ADL levels too, so not just all dark or fade to blacks. Otherwise, you relegate the projector to about 1,000:1 contrast at those same scenes.

Jonas, you might want to pull up the menu in the projector and try turning down contrast to -3 and color to -4. I'm guessing this is a brightness compression artifact and making those adjustments will help.

Let us know what happens.
post #1535 of 1540 Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:
I love the projector as well. Bright, dynamic and powerful colors.

But I really don't get how Optoma can launch a product with such visible flaws out of the box. And if it is an issue on my machine, then I assume everybody have this issue? Have others in here seen it? And how was it resolved if you don't have calibration gear lying around?

When I had the UHZ, I used it in DB2 and did see some brightness compression artifacts, basically clipping. I don't recall seeing a color change, but then again I did not watch that particular scene.
post #1536 of 1540 Old 09-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I have an issues with the UHZ65.

When using dynamic black (lowest level) I get some weird artifacts in the image.

See attached: First image is with dynamic black - notice the yellow'ish color on her forehead.

Second image is without dynamic black where the artifacts are gone.

Has this been discussed previously in the thread?

It's a clipping issue and I have sent a full report to Optoma headquarters through their teck support in Italy.
You will need a test disc like Dvs for hdr or Spear and Munsil for sdr to assess the problem. You will need to change the brightness and contrast on the bluray player and then fine tune with the vpr controls. Careful not to shift the white point in the attempt to remove clipping.
post #1537 of 1540 Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
It's a clipping issue and I have sent a full report to Optoma headquarters through their teck support in Italy.
You will need a test disc like Dvs for hdr or Spear and Munsil for sdr to assess the problem. You will need to change the brightness and contrast on the bluray player and then fine tune with the vpr controls. Careful not to shift the white point in the attempt to remove clipping.
Thanks. My request to Optoma Scandinavia has been forwarded to Optoma HQ as well.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #1538 of 1540 Old 09-18-2019, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
When using dynamic black (lowest level) I get some weird artifacts in the image.

I have exactly the same. Unfortunately it seems to be a software issue - I'd be interested to hear if Optoma manage to do anything about it!

Ultimately the only true solution I found was to turn DB off, but I prefer the image with it on.

My method of minimising it was to reduce the contrast, and reduce the brightness of the white point in the CMS. Doing that (I appreciate there are good reasons not to, but it's a preference thing) I can use DB2 on HDR movies and DB1 on SDR with the clipping barely noticeable.
post #1539 of 1540 Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Using any test disc you will notice that the plunge low patterns cannot display the blacker than black (below level 16 in sdr) even when rising the brightness to max. On video this means that lower black levels are crushed. Adjusting the brightness slide on the bluray player by 1 or 2 steps allows to display the blacker than black test patterns. Same with the white clipping test patterns. The vpr cannot display anything above level 238.Adjusting contrast on the player allows to display the whole scale, but the countereffect is white shifting to yellow. You can achieve a 242 to 244 without any shift. However this means that the the brightest levels are clipped. Same for hdr. I still have to send a report on these settings to Optoma, but they have already been informed of what is going on. I doubt they will do anything with any of the information received so far unless they start loosing sales. And with vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theaters, I doubt they will do anything even for future reiterations of their products.
post #1540 of 1540 Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
Using any test disc you will notice that the plunge low patterns cannot display the blacker than black (below level 16 in sdr) even when rising the brightness to max. On video this means that lower black levels are crushed. Adjusting the brightness slide on the bluray player by 1 or 2 steps allows to display the blacker than black test patterns. Same with the white clipping test patterns. The vpr cannot display anything above level 238.Adjusting contrast on the player allows to display the whole scale, but the countereffect is white shifting to yellow. You can achieve a 242 to 244 without any shift. However this means that the the brightest levels are clipped. Same for hdr. I still have to send a report on these settings to Optoma, but they have already been informed of what is going on. I doubt they will do anything with any of the information received so far unless they start loosing sales. And with vpr on the verge of disappearing from home theaters, I doubt they will do anything even for future reiterations of their products.
You are not supposed to see blacker than black and whiter than white bars, when using normal video levels. That is normal.

Change the player and projector to enhanced/superwhite/whatever its called and you can see those, but it is not the right way to do it.

Black is black and the next brighter bar should be just barely seen.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP