Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 821Likes

post #1561 of 1597 Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Thanks. My request to Optoma Scandinavia has been forwarded to Optoma HQ as well.
Received answer from Optoma. They propose this fix (have not tried yet). The issue is present on both HDR and SDR on my projector though and their fix appears to be HDR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2630582  

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1597 Old 10-22-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Received answer from Optoma. They propose this fix (have not tried yet). The issue is present on both HDR and SDR on my projector though and their fix appears to be HDR
I'm guessing you have not had your projector calibrated.

Mark
post #1563 of 1597 Old 10-23-2019, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I'm guessing you have not had your projector calibrated.
That's correct. I might be expecting too much, but I would not expect that a calibration would be required to not have clearly visible issues on the image.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Archibald1 likes this.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1597 Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I do not think that will help. I have found a solution to all the issues namely: jump in brightness with DB2, colour clipping, brightness clipping.
I have an Oppo BDP203 and used its controls to get the DVS test patterns for HDR and S&M patterns for HD to look as they should. This lead me to set brightness +3, contrast -12 (I need to check as I am relying on memory) and Saturation -6 (also need to check) in the Oppo and then to fine tune with the VPR settings.
It also seems to have solved all banding issues in 4:2:2 and 4:2:0, but I had no time to test thoroughly. Picture is a lot darker, but the VPR is now mapping in HDR almost 10.000 nits (on 1000 nits master as per DVS specs).
I am not losing much on the lower end of the scale and colours seem to be ok, but you do not get the same dynamic picture as when you leave it clipping.
I still need time with it to test out more settings before settling with this solution. I would like to get it to clip around 1000 nits (as it should) and to have a brighter picture.

I will post my final thoughts once I have finished the tests, but would also like to hear others what they think of having the projector mapping the full brightness scale.
post #1565 of 1597 Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's correct. I might be expecting too much, but I would not expect that a calibration would be required to not have clearly visible issues on the image.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't implying that a calibration would have avoided the issue, although it might have, but I meant that doing what they told you to do would have deleted the calibration had you had one done.

Mark
post #1566 of 1597 Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just purchased a Refurbished UHZ65 with C16 firmware

After reading reviews and a lot of research, I have purchased a refurbished UHZ65 to replace my UHD65. It will arrive next week.

This is the firmware that it has:

System: C16
LAN: C07
MCU: C04

I didn't see in this thread anything specific about the C16 firmware. Does anyone know if C16 is the latest and what did it fix?

Thank you!
post #1567 of 1597 Old 10-25-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
After reading reviews and a lot of research, I have purchased a refurbished UHZ65 to replace my UHD65. It will arrive next week.

I didn't see in this thread anything specific about the C16 firmware. Does anyone know if C16 is the latest and what did it fix?

Thank you!
I purchased my UHZ65 last year and the firmware is C11. Unfortunately the UHZ65 does not do ota firmware updates so you are basically stuck with the firmware you get unless you want to ship the thing back. I have not seen any details on firmware content.
davedude likes this.

Mark
post #1568 of 1597 Old 10-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
UHZ65 Replacement or an Improved Optoma Laser based PJ Pending U.S. Release?

I'm nearly ready to buy a projector. Because of our room (not 100% blacked-out) and the nature of our planned viewing (several hours per day, mainly Netflix-like streaming), I'm interested in a PJ with a Laser Light source. Hence my UHZ65 interest.

The UHZ65 was released October, 2017.

Thus, before buying one, I thought I had better check if the UHZ65 was going to be replaced anytime soon, or if NOT that, then might another better spec'ed & perhaps higher priced Optoma Laser PJ be in the pipeline?

In a post about the Optoma ZK507, i asked whether the ZK507 may be a replacement for the UHZ65?
[https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...#post58681176]

In Post #34 of that thread, [https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...#post58720560], the following response was provided:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
The projector being discussed here (ZK507) is not the substitute of the UHZ65. The new one that also supports 3D blueray is the UHZ880+ or UHZ886. The 880 has the same declared brightness and CONTRAST as the UHZ65 and the 886 has an extra 400 lumens and a declared contrast of 2.500.000:1 compared to the 3.000.000:1 for the UHZ65 and 880+
If I am not mistaken, we should be introduced to the UHZ880+in time for Christmas (at least on this side of the pond).
So, it appears that the UHZ880+ or UHZ886 may be UHZ65 replacements. Does anyone here know if that is true? And if so, will it be true for those of us in the U.S.? With the point being, to NOT buy a machine that will be superseded a mere few months after its purchase.
post #1569 of 1597 Old 10-26-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Thank you!
I just upgraded from C11 to C17.866 and its a great improvment.

With C11 when I was watching HDR movies and the picture was becoming darker, the picture brightness wasn't stable. Now the problem is totally solved and the general brightness of the projector seems also better.
davedude likes this.
post #1570 of 1597 Old 10-26-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredench View Post
I just upgraded from C11 to C17.866 and its a great improvment.

With C11 when I was watching HDR movies and the picture was becoming darker, the picture brightness wasn't stable. Now the problem is totally solved and the general brightness of the projector seems also better.
Did you have to ship it to them for the firmware update or have they finally come out with a way to send you the update? If you had to send it to them about how long did it take? TIA!

Mark
post #1571 of 1597 Old 10-26-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Screen View Post
I'm nearly ready to buy a projector. Because of our room (not 100% blacked-out) and the nature of our planned viewing (several hours per day, mainly Netflix-like streaming), I'm interested in a PJ with a Laser Light source. Hence my UHZ65 interest.

The UHZ65 was released October, 2017.

Thus, before buying one, I thought I had better check if the UHZ65 was going to be replaced anytime soon, or if NOT that, then might another better spec'ed & perhaps higher priced Optoma Laser PJ be in the pipeline?

In a post about the Optoma ZK507, i asked whether the ZK507 may be a replacement for the UHZ65?
[https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...#post58681176]

In Post #34 of that thread, [https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...#post58720560], the following response was provided:

So, it appears that the UHZ880+ or UHZ886 may be UHZ65 replacements. Does anyone here know if that is true? And if so, will it be true for those of us in the U.S.? With the point being, to NOT buy a machine that will be superseded a mere few months after its purchase.
So, going by what you posted, it seems the only real changes that the potential upcoming replacement models would bring would be 3D and slightly more lumens at the expense of contrast?

When I had my UHZ65, it had so many good qualities already, I thought: sharp, bright, clean, punchy, and very good dynamic contrast! Where I would like to see some improvements is in its DB2 mode so as to reduce brightness compression artifacts, and maybe employ a type of algorithm or other change in how the color wheel operates to reduce rainbow effect.

I don't know if the latest firmware (after C11) addresses any of those things, however.
post #1572 of 1597 Old 10-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like those models are available in China

https://translate.google.com/transla...2/&prev=search

UHZ886

UHZ886, 4K Ultra HD Laser Home Projector Brilliant Color Performance + MEMC

• T Texas Instruments DMD 0.66" chip & TI 4422 image processing engine + MST
  • SSI Laser source technology
  • 3400 ANSI lumens high brightness output with high contrast 2,500,000:1
  • Support vertical lens displacement, flexible installation
  • UltraDetail edge enhancement tool that enhances the edges of projected images for higher picture detail
  • PureContrast automatically detects scenes and automatically increases contrast
  • PureColor should adjust the color gradation in different image scenes to improve image chroma
  • PureMotion makes the picture more fluent and smooth, and makes the moving movie body more vivid. PureMotion Demo dynamic demonstration function, real-time comparison of whether the PureMotion option is turned on causes the difference in image performance, and can check the adjustment of PureMotion settings.
  • HDR High Dynamic Range (High-Dynamic Range)
  • Built-in SRS surround sound (NuForce Design)
  • Support 3D stereo projection, support power detection auto boot (HDMI1: Bluray-3D, HDMI2: PC-3D)
  • RJ45 supports crestron/extron/Webpage/PJLink/telnet control

https://translate.google.com/transla...2/&prev=search

UHZ880+

UHZ880+, equipped with a new generation of laser light source technology, 3000 ANSI lumens brightness output and 2,000,000:1 high contrast ratio, combined with true 4K UHD ultra-high resolution, and HDR high dynamic range technology, achieves 8.3 million pixel display on the screen. Allowing consumers to truly enjoy more delicate, clear and sharp image quality is a good choice for luxury home theaters and special performance requirements.
  • Texas Instruments DMD 0.66" Chip & TI 4422 Image Processing Engine + MST
  • SSI Laser source technology
  • 3000 ANSI lumens high brightness output with high contrast 2,000,000:1
  • Support vertical lens displacement, flexible installation
  • UltraDetail edge enhancement tool that enhances the edges of projected images for higher picture detail
  • PureContrast automatically detects scenes and automatically increases contrast
  • PureColor should adjust the color gradation in different image scenes to improve image chroma
  • PureMotion makes the picture more fluent and smooth, and makes the moving movie body more vivid. PureMotion Demo dynamic demonstration function, real-time comparison of whether the PureMotion option is turned on causes the difference in image performance, and can check the adjustment of PureMotion settings.
  • HDR High Dynamic Range (High-Dynamic Range)
  • Built-in SRS surround sound (NuForce Design)
  • Support 3D stereo projection, support power detection auto boot (HDMI1: Bluray-3D, HDMI2: PC-3D)
  • RJ45 supports crestron/extron/Webpage/PJLink/telnet control
BiggerPicture and cardoski like this.
post #1573 of 1597 Old 10-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Did you have to ship it to them for the firmware update or have they finally come out with a way to send you the update? If you had to send it to them about how long did it take? TIA!

I'm in China, so I had to ship it to the reseller. It took around 10 days but I'm glad I did it because it really solved all the issues that I had.

It might be a bit different than US, but in China we had C11, then C14, C16 and C17.866 that just came out, and I don't know which firmware made that significant change.
mjwagner and davedude like this.
post #1574 of 1597 Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I'm in China, so I had to ship it to the reseller. It took around 10 days but I'm glad I did it because it really solved all the issues that I had.

It might be a bit different than US, but in China we had C11, then C14, C16 and C17.866 that just came out, and I don't know which firmware made that significant change.
It would be very interesting to know what improvements the new firmware brings. Are you able to ask for the change log? From the firmware number it may even have introduced 3D as it's practically the same as on the UHZ880 and 886. Are you able to test this speculation of mine?
davedude likes this.
post #1575 of 1597 Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
My New/Refurbished UHZ65 arrives this week with C16 firmware. I really wish Optoma would reveal the differences between C16 and C17.866 so I can determine if it is worth shipping it back to Optoma before I install the projector in my home theater to get it upgraded to C17.866.

At least we know there is some serious improvement from newer firmwares past C11 now based on your experience! Thank you for sharing!
post #1576 of 1597 Old 10-28-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
My New/Refurbished UHZ65 arrives this week with C16 firmware. I really wish Optoma would reveal the differences between C16 and C17.866 so I can determine if it is worth shipping it back to Optoma before I install the projector in my home theater to get it upgraded to C17.866.

At least we know there is some serious improvement from newer firmwares past C11 now based on your experience! Thank you for sharing!
I'm still not sure what the improvements are over C11 with the latest firmware. Does anyone have a link? I ask because while picture brightness/low light level locking up was an issue with the laser Acer early on (and that was remedied, I believe), it was never an issue with the FW C11 UHZ65 that I had.
post #1577 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 AM

I have an official reply from Optoma and it is confirmed that the latest firmware is C17. However, they were not able to give me a reply about the change log. By going around on official websites of Optoma, I think that they have added a function called super wide gamut 2 that should increase the dci p3 coverage to 84%, better performance with HDR content and possibly support of 3D at 120Hz. These improvements are all speculations of mine comparing different machines having equal characteristics and firmwares to the uhz65. I am having mine upgraded and returning it to the service centre mid November and should get it back on the 6th of December. Will report my findings during the Christmas holidays.
davedude likes this.
post #1578 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have an official reply from Optoma and it is confirmed that the latest firmware is C17. However, they were not able to give me a reply about the change log. By going around on official websites of Optoma, I think that they have added a function called super wide gamut 2 that should increase the dci p3 coverage to 84%, better performance with HDR content and possibly support of 3D at 120Hz. These improvements are all speculations of mine comparing different machines having equal characteristics and firmwares to the uhz65. I am having mine upgraded and returning it to the service centre mid November and should get it back on the 6th of December. Will report my findings during the Christmas holidays.
My UHZ65 just arrived today and I plan on installing it tonight (and I am excited!). Since mine should have firmware C16 out of the box, I will wait until I hear back on the specific differences between C16 and C17 before making a judgement to send it in for a firmware upgrade. Thank you for confirming that the latest firmware available is C17 at this time.

In the meantime, what is the most current settings recommended in this thread for the UHZ65 for a light controlled (dark) room?

Thanks!
post #1579 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
My UHZ65 just arrived today and I plan on installing it tonight (and I am excited!). Since mine should have firmware C16 out of the box, I will wait until I hear back on the specific differences between C16 and C17 before making a judgement to send it in for a firmware upgrade. Thank you for confirming that the latest firmware available is C17 at this time.

In the meantime, what is the most current settings recommended in this thread for the UHZ65 for a light controlled (dark) room?

Thanks!
Optoma's website for the UHZ65 has a new addition added to the product description. SDR - HDR conversion. Could you check to see if yours has that feature and how you think it works?

Thanks

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Sources: Odroid N2/CoreElec, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
post #1580 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Good luck with the update, and please report back with your impressions. I know that you have a few issues with yours, so hopefully they are corrected.

I am hesitant to send mine in again as I'm in Canada and Optoma contracts out the service to another company. I had a number of issues and went almost 3 months without a projector. Not sure if I want to risk it again. It really is unfortunate that the Firmware can't be upgraded by the end user.

I will say that Optoma USA did come through for me once I got in touch with them about the issues I was having dealing with the Canadian Service Center.

Best of luck.

post #1581 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post

Optoma's website for the UHZ65 has a new addition added to the product description. SDR - HDR conversion. Could you check to see if yours has that feature and how you think it works?

Thanks
That function has been there since day one and would suggest to avoid using it as it gives an unnatural look to the sdr content
post #1582 of 1597 Old 10-29-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Good luck with the update, and please report back with your impressions. I know that you have a few issues with yours, so hopefully they are corrected.

I am hesitant to send mine in again as I'm in Canada and Optoma contracts out the service to another company. I had a number of issues and went almost 3 months without a projector. Not sure if I want to risk it again. It really is unfortunate that the Firmware can't be upgraded by the end user.

I will say that Optoma USA did come through for me once I got in touch with them about the issues I was having dealing with the Canadian Service Center.

Best of luck.
I am lucky to have a great service centre just 100 km away from home and they performed the first upgrade and also corrected the gamma which was a little off. Never had an issue so I presume everything will go well this time around as well.
post #1583 of 1597 Old 10-30-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
That function has been there since day one and would suggest to avoid using it as it gives an unnatural look to the sdr content
I think you might be talking about the HDR Sim Mode. That has always been there, and I agree that it doesn't work well and should be avoided.

There appears to be a new feature, SDR -> HDR under the Dynamic Range option menu...

Probably not something I would use, just curious as to how it works.

It would be great if someone was able to find out some detailed info about what has been changed with the recent Firmware.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR-HDR.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2634020  

post #1584 of 1597 Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I think you might be talking about the HDR Sim Mode. That has always been there, and I agree that it doesn't work well and should be avoided.

There appears to be a new feature, SDR -> HDR under the Dynamic Range option menu...

It would be great if someone was able to find out some detailed info about what has been changed with the recent Firmware.

Jason
I do not see that option on my menu and I have C16
post #1585 of 1597 Old 10-31-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Jason

Where did you see the above menu posted?
post #1586 of 1597 Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 AM

@davedude . Thanks for checking. It may be something that was added with C17.

@Norixone . It is on the Optoma.com website for the UHZ65.

Jason

post #1587 of 1597 Old 10-31-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 210
wow a new upgraded uhz65 model; with 3D! That would be cool.

anyone here game on their uhz65? how is the input lag? I am on uhd60; and am happy with roughly 50-60ms input lag; i hear the uhz65 is about 80ms?

anyone get the upgraded theo uhz65? what are your impressions of the BT2020 color improvement?

thank you
post #1588 of 1597 Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi!
Got issue with UHZ65.
Customer have a Bose Lifestyle 550 + Zappiti One + Optoma UHZ65.
I did programm Bose Remote to control all system, except one - Bose sends only ONE command to Turn PJ Off. But PJ needs - Two.
Do have anybody same problem? How can I fix it?
post #1589 of 1597 Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you!
Could you please post a picture of the info menu showing the firmware? Optoma UK seems to be denying the availability of this firmware as well as of any other one other than C08.

Thank you
post #1590 of 1597 Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Hi Fredench could you please post a picture of the info menu showing the firmware version? Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page