Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 859Likes

post #1711 of 1725 Old 05-05-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Guys just got this today and going to install it tomorrow. i just wanted to know do we need to update the firmware of this? as i checked the optoma website but there wasn't any firmware updates as some other PJ brands. thanks!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Processors Marantz AV8805 & miniDSP 2x4 HD Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Optoma UHZ65 4K Media HTPC w/madVR Cables Wireworld,Hosa & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1725 Old 05-05-2020, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Guys just got this today and going to install it tomorrow. i just wanted to know do we need to update the firmware of this? as i checked the optoma website but there wasn't any firmware updates as some other PJ brands. thanks!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
The firmware is not user upgrade-able. The only way to upgrade the firmware is to send the unit to Optoma.
Balbolito likes this.

Mark
post #1713 of 1725 Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_now View Post
Hi There,

I havent been active in forums for a while. Thought this was worth posting.

I have a new UHZ65 with C17 firmware. It shipped Dec 26, 2019. Pretty new.

I have been having issues getting everything dialed in right using the Spears and Munsil 4K UHD disc by eye. I found a calman calibration someone has put online in a french forum. Thank you google Translate!!

These both work exceptionally well with firmware C17 I can confirm. Some of the menu items below are reflective of C17 only. However, they should be similar in your menu if an earlier version.

Thanks to the original poster at the french forum! I think it was Ronny, after he had gone through many iterations himself and ceased activity in this thread.

Please note, when you are in the brightness menu it is EITHER a dynamic black setting OR the laser brightness setting in C17. Not both. Since the Laser pulses up and down with dynamic black turned on it is impossible to get a reliable setup with DB ON using Spears and Munsil patterns. I wish I had clued into this sooner. So much wasted time.

Here are the settings.

SDR:

Mode:Cinema
Wall Color: Off
Dynamic range: Auto\Detail
Brightness:0
Contrast:-3
Sharpness: 8
Color:0
Tint:0
Gamma:2.2
Ultra Detail: Off
Brightness Mode: Laser Power 95%
Color Settings: Brilliant Color:1
Color Temp: D65
Color Gammut: HDTV

CMS Settings:
Color\X Offset\ Y Offset\ Brightness

White: 0\0\-20
Red: 16\-2\-6
Green: 3\-3\-10
Blue: 6\22\7
Cyan: 6\20\3
Yellow: 10\-1\-13
Magenta: 8\11\0

RGB Gain\Bias:

Red: 3\0
Green: 0\0
Blue: -14\0

Color Space: Auto

Pure Settings:
Contrast: OFF
Color: OFF
Motion:OFF

He notes After calibration he turned on DB2, Pure Contrast, Pure Color on level 1. I left it at 95% laser power and turned on Pure Contrast, Color at 1 and Motion at 1.

Fantastic.

HDR Settings:

Mode: HDR
Wall Color: OFF
Dynamic Range: Auto\Standard (I left it in detail)
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -1
Sharpness: 8
Color: 4
Tint: 0
Gamma: 2.2
Ultra Detail: OFF
Brightness Mode: Laser 95%

Color Settings: Brilliant Color 8
Color Gammut: Native

CMS:

Color/ X Offset/ Y Offset/ Brightness
White: 0/0/0 (for a brighter picture he mentions turning up the brightness to 35 without harm)
Red: -46/-34/19
Green: -12/-19/48
Blue: -26/50/50
Cyan: 10/38/50
Yellow: -19/20/50
Magenta: -16/50/50

RGB: Gain/Bias

Red: 0/0
Green: 0/-1
Blue: 0/1

Color Space: Auto

Pure Contrast: On
Pure Color: Off (He set to on and set to 2- I verified looks great. I did too.)
Pure Motion: Off ( I set to 1 and am pretty happy there.)

Again, he mentions after calibration to use DB2 without issue. I left mine in Laser Power: 95% and am totally happy.

Cheers, Ronny. Thanks for sharing.

Hope this help others. I was a little frustrated this expensive investment wasn't wowing me. I can say now I don't understand all the factors that are interrelated that blocked me from doing this myself. One setting broke another when I was trying and it was a little frustrating... But these are just great results.

I can't imagine anyone not being totally happy with this PJ once it is set up correctly. Enjoy! The Spears and Munsil 4K UHD HDR test disc demo material looks incredible after these settings. Definitely worth picking that one up too!!

Thanks Serenity, are these the last and final calibration values that Ronny came up with ?

Sorry, it's been a while since I read through this thread - does each mode e.g. "Cinema" and "HDR" hold or store the calibration settings once you enter them under each mode ?

With the new firmware update, does the projector automatically tone-map when HDR is detected including setting the internal parameters such as laser brightness to automatically project the best HDR image ?

Is the auto tone-mapping of the projector good and effective ? - Adjusting parameters manually for an HDR movie is frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1725 Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay so installed this today, out of the box the picture is a huge jump above my previous (crappy) Epson TW-5600. even better then my Epson 5040 (that i had for a couple of years too) .

Picture is bright (more than i need) even on my 160 inch screen and is razor sharp! black levels need to be calibrated a bit since they are dark grey.

Good thing my room has no windows and has dark grey walls,ceiling and floor. and i always watch movies with all the lights off.

Didn't have time to calibrate anything yet or play with any settings . I started reading this thread from P1 and i am nearly at the end. i noticed a lot of great settings have been posted and i took some screenshots to try them out tomorrow morning.

Since this is my first DLP and my first 4k PJ, i noticed in many bright scenes the rainbow effect which is something expected for a DLP and maybe i can't get rid of it completely but is there a way to minimize RBE as much as possible?

Another thing as i understood i need two calibrate two image settings one for 1080p SDR (maybe cinema) and one for 4K HDR correct? how about Neftlix and youtube will they be under the SDR i assume? or a 3rd setting have to be created.

And when an HDR signal gets fed to the PJ it should automatically switch to the HDR mode correct?

Any latest lets say best overall settings for SDR and HDR as there are many in this thread too!

Sorry if these have been answered . i have always been when it comes to projectors a plug and play guy so never did are calibrations other than some basic settings. and thanks in advance

PS:i am using Jriver withmy HTPC for all movies . it has an Nvidia 2060 super 8GB card. any settings i should change in the nvidia first?

Processors Marantz AV8805 & miniDSP 2x4 HD Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Optoma UHZ65 4K Media HTPC w/madVR Cables Wireworld,Hosa & Belden

Last edited by Balbolito; 05-06-2020 at 05:29 PM.
post #1715 of 1725 Old 05-08-2020, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Okay so installed this today, out of the box the picture is a huge jump above my previous (crappy) Epson TW-5600. even better then my Epson 5040 (that i had for a couple of years too) .

Since this is my first DLP and my first 4k PJ, i noticed in many bright scenes the rainbow effect which is something expected for a DLP and maybe i can't get rid of it completely but is there a way to minimize RBE as much as possible?
Congratulations on your projector.

Single chip DLPs typically use a color wheel (LED versions that I know of do not). The color wheel has speeds and segments. For example, if the color wheel has RGBRGB, it has two segments and a rotation of 2X will render those colors at a speed of 4X. This projector's matrix has a color wheel with a single segment and a phosphor wheel that is not set to the fastest speeds either. For example, on the lamp-based version, the UHD65, which has an RGBRGB segment, you may not even notice any RBE at all.

I actually had the UHZ65. I've had a few different projectors and this one with DB activated puts out some breath-taking images. While at first I notice very little RBE effect because I wasn't RBE-sensitive, focusing on the menu to remedy an issue probably later caused me to notice it more and more.

Also, keep in mind this projector is very bright and has respectable dynamic contrast with DB turned on; however, that combination, especially with a slower color wheel, can pronounce color separation artifacts, and you seem to be sensitive.

If you can get passed the RBE, this is an excellent projector.
post #1716 of 1725 Old 05-09-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Aztar35 thanks for the reply! appreciate it

The more i use the projector and try to calibrate it the more i am liking what my eyes see. it does have a VERY respectable image overall in SDR and HDR. this PJ is under-rated for sure. another thing i don't know what happened but i am not noticing RBE at all , i feel it's totally gone. could be because i used some great calibration settings posted on this thread earlier by many people or that i am used to it a little by now or a combo of both!

The menu is kind of big compared to all my previous PJs and does take some time to find everything but once you do they are easy to access.

Aztar35 likes this.

post #1717 of 1725 Old 05-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been using this vpr with Madvr for two years now and in my opinion makes the most of it only using Madvr or a video processor (See LUMAGEN)..... with Madvr I don' t use HDR, but I use HDR>SDR conversion, since the nits of a vpr will never match those of a TV... so I made two calibrations, one in BT.709 and one in SDR DCI-P3; on the vpr brightness and contrast I left them at zero while I adjusted the white point to 2 points 80ire and 20ire, then I made a 3dlut via DISPLAYCAL at 1536 points (one in BT.709 and another in DCI-P3).
In bt.709 the vpr has coverage of 100% of the gamut and about 80% in DCI-P3.

Mode: CINEMA
Dynamic range: AUTO\BRIGHT
Contrast: 0
Sharpness: 5
Color: 0
Brightness Mode: LASER POWER 100%
Dynamic Black: OFF
Color Settings: BRILLIANT COLOR: 1
Color Gamut: NATIVE
Color Space: AUTO

Pure Settings:
PureContrast: OFF
Pure Color: OFF
Pure Motion:OFF

Last edited by stefanelli73; 05-12-2020 at 12:42 PM.
post #1718 of 1725 Old 05-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
I have been using this vpr with Madvr for two years now and in my opinion makes the most of it only using Madvr or a video processor (See LUMAGEN)..... with Madvr I don' t use HDR, but I use HDR>SDR conversion, since the nits of a vpr will never match those of a TV... so I made two calibrations, one in BT.709 and one in SDR DCI-P3; on the vpr brightness and contrast I left them at zero while I adjusted the white point to 2 points 80ire and 20ire, then I made a 3dlut via DISPLAYCAL at 1536 points (one in BT.709 and another in DCI-P3).

In bt.709 the vpr has coverage of 100% of the gamut and about 80% in DCI-P3.

Mode: CINEMA

Dynamic range: AUTO\BRIGHT

Contrast: 0

Sharpness: 5

Color: 0

Brightness Mode: LASER POWER 100%

Dynamic Black: OFF

Color Settings: BRILLIANT COLOR: 1

Color Gamut: NATIVE

Color Space: AUTO

Pure Settings:

PureContrast: OFF

Pure Color: OFF

Pure Motion:OFF
That sounds good. Could you share the gamut charts from the calibration, and how many lumens/fl/nits do you get when calibrated?

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #1719 of 1725 Old 05-14-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
That sounds good. Could you share the gamut charts from the calibration, and how many lumens/fl/nits do you get when calibrated?

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Charts usually never keep them....however before calibration with 100% laser (i.e. at maximum power) I had 90 nits, after calibration 84nits on a 16:9 (4-size) 244 cm screen. (110 inches), gain 1.2
post #1720 of 1725 Old 05-14-2020, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
Charts usually never keep them....however before calibration with 100% laser (i.e. at maximum power) I had 90 nits, after calibration 84nits on a 16:9 (4-size) 244 cm screen. (110 inches), gain 1.2
According to this https://webprojectorcalculator.com/ that translates to light output of 735 lumens. Quite low compared to the advertised output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHZ.png
Views:	19
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	2726048  

JVC DLA-RS500
post #1721 of 1725 Old 05-15-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
According to this https://webprojectorcalculator.com/ that translates to light output of 735 lumens. Quite low compared to the advertised output.
the 3000 declared lumens are only in BRIGHT mode that no one uses to calibrate.... then I don't doubt the data of the calculator, although I repeat I don't remember the lumens after calibration, however on screen I can guarantee that the image is very bright.
post #1722 of 1725 Old 05-15-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Light output specs are normally "max achievable" and for most (all) projectors the light output when properly calibrated is lower. Fairly standard so no real surprise. What I can tell you is that even properly calibrated this projector is BRIGHT!
Aztar35 likes this.

Mark
post #1723 of 1725 Old 05-22-2020, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I've been following this thread and am wondering if the firmware updates have helped to improve this projector.

1. From what I've been reading, the rainbow effect is no longer obvious and greatly improved.

2. The projector produces a nice image with calibration in place, thanks to Ronny.

3. One thing I'd like to know is if the image noise (Mosquito effect) has improved ?

Ronny's last image of the lady in the red dress (if I can remember correctly) in conjunction with a lower gain screen was quite nice. However, he did not post close-ups. Ronny did feel that an external 3D LUT box could probably improve the image further but at that point I think he migrated to LCOS.

An update from users who have been working constantly to improve image fidelity will be appreciated.

Not sure if Ronny is still around ....
post #1724 of 1725 Old 05-23-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
I've been following this thread and am wondering if the firmware updates have helped to improve this projector.

1. From what I've been reading, the rainbow effect is no longer obvious and greatly improved.

2. The projector produces a nice image with calibration in place, thanks to Ronny.

3. One thing I'd like to know is if the image noise (Mosquito effect) has improved ?

Ronny's last image of the lady in the red dress (if I can remember correctly) in conjunction with a lower gain screen was quite nice. However, he did not post close-ups. Ronny did feel that an external 3D LUT box could probably improve the image further but at that point I think he migrated to LCOS.

An update from users who have been working constantly to improve image fidelity will be appreciated.

Not sure if Ronny is still around ....
Unfortunately to get the firmware update you have to send the projector away so the question is, are the improvements worth the trouble. So far that answer has been no for me. Sharing general settings can definitely be helpful. Sharing grey scale (white balance) and CMS settings not...except for the "a broken clock is right twice a day" phenomenon...

Mark
post #1725 of 1725 Old 05-23-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post

Hi, Sam. I'd be interested in learning more about this. At first glance, I wouldn't be sure how FW can improve RBE and noise. RBE is more related to the speed of the color wheel in this case. It's a single segment wheel too. And mosquito noise is something that has been associated with the technology.

That being said, I did see much fewer RBE and a very clean image on the laser Acer VL7860, which is basically the same projector that uses the same wheel set up. So, it may be possible. The only thing different about the Acer projector, at least on that VL7860 sample, was its appearance of deeper blacks where with the UHZ65, if you lower the laser setting, it was more apparent that the black floor was not really changing much but you lose contrast. I believe the Acer also has glass components in its lens, but I haven't verified that. Still, I don't see how any of that would impact RBE, at least. So, perhaps FW is at play.

Can you point me to a link that shows FW has reduced RBE in the UHZ65?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page