Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 790Likes

post #1 of 1503 Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread

Got mine in today. Luckily I never throw any left over parts and pieces away so I dug out the pieces to my universal ceiling mount got it hung pretty quickly. Took a little bit of time getting the picture tweaked to line up with the screen since everything is manual, but it's not like you have to do that everyday. My ceiling mount has a long pole to get the projector under my ceiling fan so it isn't the most rigid mount. My new receiver (Yamaha 3060) and UHD player (Samsung M9500) won't be in until Friday so I don't have any 4K yet. Only had a few minutes to play with it, but out of the box was very impressed with how bright it is. Granted I'm coming from a 10+ year old Panasonic AE3000 with a dying bulb. Turned it onto bright mode and even with all the lights on in the room picture was easily visible. Would work great for superbowl party etc. Not sure what the HDR Simulate mode is for, but it turned people comically orange in certain scenes on TV. I'll have more time to play with it on Sunday. My daughters birthday is this weekend so what little free time I have is being spent in the kitchen making cupcakes for her school party and a cake for the party with friends.

I never calibrated my old system. I'm reasonably technically inclined. Is it worth getting the software and sensor and doing the calibration myself or would I be better off hiring a pro? I live in a small town so not sure where to even try and find a pro.

Edit: Daughter got home from school so we fired up the PS4 Pro (still using my 1080P receiver so no 4K) and loaded minecraft. With the old projector we struggled reading the descriptions on the items in the inventory. I often went and got a chair from the kitchen so I could sit 6-7' from the screen instead of my normal 14'. With the new projector, no issues at all. Words are crystal clear. Colors are so vibrant and really jump off the screen. It is killing me to have to wait until my new receiver, player, and a coupe of UHD movies come in on Friday.

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5990
Speakers: DIY Audax HT design by D'Appolito 7.1
Screen: 126" Carada Criterion Brilliant White
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE3000U
Gaming: PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1503 Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
post #3 of 1503 Old 11-29-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
I never calibrated my old system. I'm reasonably technically inclined. Is it worth getting the software and sensor and doing the calibration myself or would I be better off hiring a pro? I live in a small town so not sure where to even try and find a pro.
Dave Harper can probably give you some starter settings to get the projector in the ballpark of calibrated, since he calibrated his UHZ65.
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1503 Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Mine is going to arrive Friday.

I'll post thoughts and see how it performs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
woodhead2 likes this.
post #5 of 1503 Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Its Great!

Just received and installed our UHZ65 yesterday. Upgraded from my old, trusty Panasonic PT-AR100U. Not surprisingly everything is improved, IMO.

My environment is not well light controlled. Family room, open concept to kitchen and dining area which has unshaded windows. 12' wide screen, so ~154" diagonal (IIRC). The Panasonic (rated at 2800 lumens) had enough light output for viewing from late afternoon on, and the UHZ65 appears to have greater light output, although its not a fair comparison since the Panny's bulb has a couple of thousand hours on it. I didn't think the UHD65 would have enough light output for our environment, which was a key factor in selecting the UHZ65.

Ours is a ceiling installation, and since our previous projector had limited zoom and shift, the installation was pretty straightforward. Interestingly the zoom and shift on the UHZ65 are both just slightly less than the Panasonic, so some repositioning was necessary.

The UHZ65 is installed with a Marantz AV7704 and AppleTV 4K which are all working very nicely together, operating at [email protected] HDR 4:2:2. I installed a Monoprice optical HDMI cable ("SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, CMP Plenum, 4K 60Hz, YUV444, 50ft") which is working perfectly. With 1080P signals it was possible to have another HDMI cable segment between the projector and the optical cable (an HDMI keystone jack for a clean looking installation), but for 18Gb signals that won't work. No problem, the optical cable just has to plug directly into the projector.

We're enjoying the considerable amount of 4K UHD material on Netflix (Netflix app on AppleTV 4K), experiencing the image quality of the UHD65.

Image quality (resolution, brightness, black levels) are all a step up from the Panasonic, as expected, so no insight there. So far, I haven't noticed any significant or bothersome RBE.

In summary, my experience with the UHZ65 has been great over the first 24 hours.
post #6 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Dave Harper can probably give you some starter settings to get the projector in the ballpark of calibrated, since he calibrated his UHZ65.
@daveh arper

Some Calibration Settings would be much appreciated!
post #7 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A quick question to owners - is the vertical lens shift both + and -?

I have an awkward installation situation. Due to a low room height (210cm), ceiling mounting means that the lens is below the top of the screen. I'm wondering if the UHZ65 can cope with this, or whether I'd need to remask my screen (making it smaller).
post #8 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afzal_b View Post
A quick question to owners - is the vertical lens shift both + and -?

I have an awkward installation situation. Due to a low room height (210cm), ceiling mounting means that the lens is below the top of the screen. I'm wondering if the UHZ65 can cope with this, or whether I'd need to remask my screen (making it smaller).
It can't

The lowest it can be is even with top of screen.
post #9 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I saw the 3D option on the menu, the manual says PC only, So, if I use HTPC to play 3d movie via TMT, is it possible to enjoy 3d playback on this PJ?
post #10 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post
I saw the 3D option on the menu, the manual says PC only, So, if I use HTPC to play 3d movie via TMT, is it possible to enjoy 3d playback on this PJ?
No the refresh is too low to comfortably watch a movie in 3d.
post #11 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Got mine today, its not playing nice with oppo 205.

Anybody having same issue? or a solution.

Its connected using the HDMI 2 output which states in the mnual is the 2.0 full 18gps but i keep getting "No source Found" from the projector and having to use "direct source" on the oppo to get back image.

Some help would be great.
post #12 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryyy View Post
Got mine today, its not playing nice with oppo 205.

Anybody having same issue? or a solution.

Its connected using the HDMI 2 output which states in the mnual is the 2.0 full 18gps but i keep getting "No source Found" from the projector and having to use "direct source" on the oppo to get back image.

Some help would be great.
Are you using the HDMI2 input on the UHZ60? That seems to be required for 18Gbs signals.

If you weren't previously using an 18Gb signal out of the oppo you may need to upgrade the HDMI cable.
post #13 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sounds like HDMI cable problem. I had to change my short (6ft) HDMI cable before it would work so it's not just the long cable which matters.
post #14 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwl21 View Post
Sounds like HDMI cable problem. I had to change my short (6ft) HDMI cable before it would work so it's not just the long cable which matters.
I have 6 ft HDMI going to Marantz 7704 then 50ft active fiber cable to projector.
post #15 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM

So it was an HDMI cable problem, I learned today that a 250$ 50ft cable that is rated to work with 18Gbs over at 50ft is worth crap.

So what im seeing so fare, instead of a farily loud sound coming out of the fans this projector is 2 classes up then my 5040ub, sharper image, i think better blacks and much brighter. Oh yes, motion with puremotion on 1-2 beats the 5040ub every day of the week.

Please share some calibration settings ...
Troy LaMont, Alan Dail and krumme like this.

Last edited by mercuryyy; 12-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #16 of 1503 Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Thumbs up

Quote:
So it was an HDMI cable problem, I learned today that a 250$ 50ft cable that is rated to work with 18Gbs over at 50ft is worth crap.

So what im seeing so fare, instead of a farily loud sound coming out of the fans this projector is 2 classes up then my 5040ub, sharper image, i think better blacks and much brighter. Oh yes, motion with puremotion on 1-2 beats the 5040ub every day of the week.

That's an awesome observation vs the 5040 as those in that camp usually tout the better contrast and blacks of the UB series, oh well, guess it pays to see it in person. Thanks for sharing, excellent news.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #17 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Why am I not surprised by your findings... A lot of cable manufacturers out there are closer to being snake oil dealers.

Another thing that creates problems : the higher the bandwidth required, the more weak links in the HDMI chain are going to appear, so people are starting to find out even receivers recently purchased have difficulty syncing.

Of course, we're not even done with HDMI 2.0's problems that they're already preparing us for bigger headaches : HDMI 2.1.

Can't wait to have more concrete results from real owners since it's already been available for two months and we still have no professional review. Even projector central didn't come through, they had promised the UHZ65 review for November and of course, just like the highdefdigest one that's been ready for like a month now, it's not being published.
woodhead2 likes this.
post #18 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Oppo 205 with UHZ65 - Unexpectedly delicious

I've been setting up the system over the last three days, just installed a new 106" Elite 1.1 screen. I had received the 205 the week before and had been using that with the Epson 5025ub. Even though that projector is only 1080p, the quality improvement was remarkable over my previous regular bluray player. (The sound quality is stellar, by the way. I have reference studio monitors and a top quality pro DAC and this machine is right up there with it. I won't declare a winner till I spend time testing the audio.)

UHz65:
Out of the box it exhibits "department store syndrome" where everything is maxed out or close to it. Makes a quick impression, but after a few moments I am scrambling for the setup menu. It took me a while to learn the dance for each of my previous three projectors, this one is no exception.

The dance gets interesting:
I got the settings to a point that were ok for the moment on the UHZ65, then I started playing with the picture settings on the Oppo 205. Now it becomes a dance of comparing sharpening in player vs in projector, as well as for all the other settings.

My very preliminary feelings are:

Sharpening: The player seems to have more subtle and sophisticated sharpening capabilities than the projector.

Color: I am playing with a blend of saturation in player and projector, my sense is that the player is more subtle, but both settings can be useful working together. I currently favor gentle touches on the projector with bolder moves on the player.

Power level, brightness and contrast: Complicated dance. I am currently favoring anything less than 100% on the projector output. The range of 50 to 75 seems, in my setup, to be the sweet zone for getting subtle color distinctions. 100% feels "overcooked" regardless of my other settings, however I am open to further experimentation.

Dynamic Range controls: At lower power levels (currently 50%) I enjoy Dynamic Black 3. When I tried that at 90% I got too much image pumping for my taste. It seems that the lower power levels let this control breathe more naturally.

Still early days, much more playing to do. It is becoming apparent that the Oppo and Optoma can go places together that neither one can reach alone.

Great fun!
woodhead2 likes this.
post #19 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 06:23 AM

My measurements are not professional, but i'v owned a 5030 then a 5040 and its been playing in our living room every day since opened so im fairly familiar with what i'v got.

There is just something about the motion in the UHZ65 that does not happen in the 5040, the image is sharper then the 5040 regardless but with the puremotion on its stays share during fast motion action very very well.

i am having trouble calibration to accurate colors tho, hopefully some can share some settings here for "day time" (some fair amount of ambirt light) bright mode and "night time" control lighting almost no lights

Also seems like even when i set the laser to 100% and not eco mode, sometimes it decides to drop its power on its own while toggling the menus, is anybody else getting this issue? might be a flux in my model or my fireware update?

Hope to hear from more owners ~~~
post #20 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
My measurements are not professional, but i'v owned a 5030 then a 5040 and its been playing in our living room every day since opened so im fairly familiar with what i'v got.

There is just something about the motion in the UHZ65 that does not happen in the 5040, the image is sharper then the 5040 regardless but with the puremotion on its stays share during fast motion action very very well.

i am having trouble calibration to accurate colors tho, hopefully some can share some settings here for "day time" (some fair amount of ambirt light) bright mode and "night time" control lighting almost no lights

Also seems like even when i set the laser to 100% and not eco mode, sometimes it decides to drop its power on its own while toggling the menus, is anybody else getting this issue? might be a flux in my model or my fireware update?

Hope to hear from more owners ~~~
How long does it drop for ? It sounds like overheating to me, which would explain why it only seems to happen at 100% power. I doubt there's too much power draw on your electrical wires unless they're very high gauge wires but we're approaching 500 watts at 100%, so if there's other things plugged in and drawing power and the electrical wiring of that circuit is very high gauge, that alone could make the projector overheat after a while when at 100%.
post #21 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM

Its plugged in to a single 20amp outlet all by itself so the circuit is clear. It does seem to heat very quickly tho, fans are always running full blow not sure why, room temp is always below 75 here.
post #22 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Its plugged in to a single 20amp outlet all by itself so the circuit is clear. It does seem to heat very quickly tho, fans are always running full blow not sure why, room temp is always below 75 here.
Just a thought, you might be experiencing a ground loop or out of phase power issue. Try disconnecting the projector from all sources except AC and see if it drops back to normal fan use.
post #23 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The fans run full blow even in eco mode or lower laser power settings ? If that's the case, I really do not like the sound of that.
post #24 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post
The fans run full blow even in eco mode or lower laser power settings ? If that's the case, I really do not like the sound of that.
I have read elsewhere that switching to a fiber optic hdmi interface can improve things through galvanic isolation. In this case, if there is an available laptop with an hdmi output, try running that on battery power and see if the fans kick up to high speed on the projector.
post #25 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Fan does seem to be running in eco mode, not full speed but can still definitely hear it.

I wonder how this will compare to the Dell S718QL, specs they have the same new DLP chip but dell has it as "Dual LVDS" does that mean 2 chips? also dell native 2000:1 seems as good as the udz65 but then only 100,000:1 in dynamic mode i assume they put less time perfecting contrast for movies and focused more on presentations features, bad move by Dell i was ready to pull the trigger on this. projectors central review of the
S718QL seems so poor, they dont mention motion, sharpness, DCI colors, nothing poor writing, and there the only one who reviewed the dam thing.
post #26 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Fan does seem to be running in eco mode, not full speed but can still definitely hear it.

I wonder how this will compare to the Dell S718QL, specs they have the same new DLP chip but dell has it as "Dual LVDS" does that mean 2 chips? also dell native 2000:1 seems as good as the udz65 but then only 100,000:1 in dynamic mode i assume they put less time perfecting contrast for movies and focused more on presentations features, bad move by Dell i was ready to pull the trigger on this. projectors central review of the
S718QL seems so poor, they dont mention motion, sharpness, DCI colors, nothing poor writing, and there the only one who reviewed the dam thing.
My fans always run, but it is not high speed. It is about the same as my Epson 5025ub in low mode. In high mode the Epson sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I have never heard the UHZ65 in high speed fan mode yet, or if it was in high mode, I did not notice it. I am very sensitive to high fan noise, so I never ran the Epson on high. It would drown out dialog.

Some fan noise is normal.
woodhead2 and krumme like this.
post #27 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:

You can safely forget about the Dell for anything but bright environment.
post #28 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post
You can safely forget about the Dell for anything but bright environment.
See idk about that statement. It has better native resolution then the UHZ65, it has the newer 4k dual chip, it has blue and red laser.
Sometimes these business presentation projectors are built with better and more quality overall hardware.

If the dell has the same motion and sharpness as the UHZ65 i'd go for it all day long. I dont get how they make better native resolution then the UHZ65 on the dell but dynamic only 100,000:1 you'de figure with some laser on off tricks they can easily get much more and then sell a crazy 1,000,000:1 number.
post #29 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
See idk about that statement. It has better native resolution then the UHZ65, it has the newer 4k dual chip, it has blue and red laser.
Sometimes these business presentation projectors are built with better and more quality overall hardware.

If the dell has the same motion and sharpness as the UHZ65 i'd go for it all day long. I dont get how they make better native resolution then the UHZ65 on the dell but dynamic only 100,000:1 you'de figure with some laser on off tricks they can easily get much more and then sell a crazy 1,000,000:1 number.
The hardware looks good, but I just don't think their firmware is geared towards home theater use. That's an expensive bet to make, hoping they'll improve the contrast eventually. Maybe with a grey ALR screen the results would be decent, but without trying one or a real professional review, we won't know for sure.
post #30 of 1503 Old 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM

The problem with Buisness targeted projectors:

Quote:

I do not know if it holds true for this unit, but historically, the color filters (and firmware) are optimized for maximum light output and clarity in typical business settings. They typically are poor performers for home theater use largely because of poor color etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP