Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5542Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4651 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also get incomplete files always since beta32.

tried with this beta37 with "The Predator2018", got an incomplete file also.

Do we have to rename the incomplete files in order to madvr use them? I don't manage to get them used with this last beta.
What application do you use to open them in order to insert the target nits?

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4652 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Kane View Post
Basically if the target nits is too low then there isn't enough contrast in the highlights which gives you a flat and bright image, you'll also lose too much highlight detail because of the compression. If the target nits is too high then the normal 0-100 nits range of the movie will appear too dim. So you're looking for a balance between having the movie bright enough while giving you enough contrast to get that HDR pop. I'd start at your measured nits and work up, try a bunch of different movies with a range of brightness until you find something that works well with all movies.
This is really great advice and well worded on what to look for. I've settled on a setting of 240 or now.

I see in here lots of reference to madmeasure app and I think that most madvr users are creating profiles per type of movie format (1080p, 4K, etc.).
Are there instructions for how to best approach this from where I am right now (i.e. set target nits to 240 and used initial settings provided by markmon1 to approach Sony processing on a JVC projector)?
Sittler27 is offline  
post #4653 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Neo-XP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
JFMI, how exactly is "avg avg highlights" defined?
Soulnight will explain this better

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
18) Black bars are now excluded from Avg/MaxFALL measurements
Nice! Are they also excluded from the luminance change calculation (to make the scene detection more reliable)?
Neo-XP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4654 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,733
Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Regarding our discussion re the MakeMKV bug, have you found a way to implement Mike's suggestion to use the video track duration vs the file duration in order to avoid the error with some MKV files when the audio track is longer? Apart from this, it seems to be ready for release, unless our tests reveal some kind of bugs.
I don't have access to that kind of information, only nevcairiel has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Looking at the measurements file, thanks again for adding a few metadata fields. Any chance to add the complete metadata, including gamut coordinates and white point?
Why didn't you ask for this right away, instead of asking for the black level first, and then this now? Changing this kind of stuff multiple times costs me much more time than changing it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelioX View Post
I've tried 3 times to create the measurament file of my MKV file of Pacific Rim UHD HDR.
Every time I get incomplete.
The process arrives at 100% but the final file is incomplete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
I also get incomplete files always since beta32.

tried with this beta37 with "The Predator2018", got an incomplete file also.
Did you run this with the original m2ts files from the Blu-Ray, or using a remuxed MKV? MakeMKV is known to have a bug which can cause this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Are they also excluded from the luminance change calculation (to make the scene detection more reliable)?
No, not at this point.

-----------------

Sorry guys, found a couple small bugs, one of which affected measurements once more.

So please trash all the measurements you made with build 37 once more, and re-measure with this new test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure38.zip
SamuriHL, Mevlock, AmigoHD and 7 others like this.
madshi is online now  
post #4655 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't have access to that kind of information, only nevcairiel has.
OK, I thought LAV could pass it over to MadVR. Maybe worth asking Nev, to reduce MadVR support posts re failing measurements with some files? I have converted the problem files with another tool, they are processed correctly now, so not an issue for me, I know what to do if I get the issue now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Why didn't you ask for this right away, instead of asking for the black level first, and then this now? Changing this kind of stuff multiple times costs me much more time than changing it once.
I did ask for as much metadata as possible :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
No, I mean the first line that says "metadata", the one where you report the disc metadata. These have nothing to do with your calculations/measurements (2nd line), so you could always output the disc/content metadata and only output the "measurements" line if/when the measurements are complete, and still display the same warning when they aren't. Does that make sense?

It's just very handy when doing tests to have the metadata quickly available in the log wherever each file is, and the more metadata, the better (especially MinMDL would be useful). Not critical of course
I guess I should have been more specific about gamut and white point, as there were the only two metadata points not mentioned. Don't worry if it takes too much time to add it, I didn't realise it was so time-consuming.

It's just that since these earlier posts six weeks ago, quite a few BT2020 titles have been released, so it's become more relevant. Still not critical.

Will remeasure with the new build.

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 12-27-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Manni01 is online now  
post #4656 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"So please trash all the measurements you made with build 37 once more, and re-measure with this new test build:"


Do we have to delete the measurement file or is it enough to just remeasure and let the original measurement file be overwritten by the new measurement?
I understand that "HtpcControl.exe" do overwrite but if I only want to use "madMeasureHDR.exe" do i have to delete the original measurement file first?

The word "trash" in Madshi post got me wondering?


//
arcspin is offline  
post #4657 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndFfm View Post
Hi,
I'm trying out the latest htpccontrol.exe and the program is kind of stuck and just idle after measuring the first UHD HDR movie.

I have updated Madvr to the latest version38 and the "madMeasureHDR.exe" works just fine.

The program finds 33 movie files in my directory and starts measuring the first file to the end without any problem.
But after that nothing more happens, the program does not continue to the next movie file.

Anyone else having this problem and what am I doing wrong here?


//Peter
arcspin is offline  
post #4658 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 08:09 PM
Member
 
JBauer0024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not a question on projectors, but the same issue I imagine...


Can someone point me to a bit of a primer on this subject? 156 pages is a bit much to digest to find my answer. Point me in the right direction?


HDR content on a non-HDR 10-bit UHD monitor. Very dark blacks on some movies.


I'd appreciate any nudges I can get... Been doing searching, and well - it's complicated


Thanks...
JBauer0024 is offline  
post #4659 of 6749 Old 12-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quick Update of MadMeasurementAnalyzer tool.

For someone who may still need this simple tool : madMeasurementAnalyzer, ability to read version 4-6 measurement files.



It also includes a simple tool that automatically measures the UHD directories and creates hard links to the measurement files : madMeasurementMakeHardLink.

Hints of madMeasurementMakeHardLink:
1. create madMeasurement files for UHD Driver. (each directory contains a single UHD movie). The UHD Driver can be local or network mapped driver.
2. If madMeasureHDR is running > 45 minutes. consider madMeasureHDR hangs, automatically terminate it , and create a .failure file(skip this directory on the next run), then proceeds to the next directory.
3. Skip the multi-segments(the size of main stream < total size / 2), created(madmeasurement file existed), and previous failure(.failure file existed) UHD movies.

4. create hard links (index.bdmv.measurements and .mpls.measurements) for madmeasurement files. (Does not consume extra disk space). Kodi DSPlayer uses index.bdmv as main file on playing UHD directory. MPC-BE uses ?????.mpls as main file on playing UHD directory.
5. Because the hard link cannot be created for network files, the UHD driver only lists the local drivers.
6. You need to manually select the main playlist file for the new UHD movie.
7. Recreate the hard links after you apply SoulNight's madMeasureDynamicClipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-28-03.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	2501682   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-28-02.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2501684   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-28-01.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	2501686  
Attached Files
File Type: zip MadMeasureTools.zip (39.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by pandm1967; 12-27-2018 at 11:02 PM.
pandm1967 is online now  
post #4660 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 AM
Member
 
BerndFfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Frankfurt / Main, Germany
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcspin View Post
I'm trying out the latest htpccontrol.exe and the program is kind of stuck and just idle after measuring the first UHD HDR movie.
Sorry Peter, I think I used too much memory for scanning the directories.

Update : http://download.seven-c.de/files/madvr/htpccontrol.zip

- Much faster and much less memory use when measuring HDR files.
- The program maybe hangs up, I hope that is fixed.
- The files with the extensions .9900, .9950 etc. are deleted, they are no longer needed.

Bernd
arcspin likes this.

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
BerndFfm is offline  
post #4661 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
chros73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandm1967 View Post
For someone who may still need this simple tool : madMeasurementAnalyzer, ability to read version 4-6 measurement files.
Thank You for the quick update, I use it frequently!

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
chros73 is offline  
post #4662 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Can someone briefly explain the purpose of measuring our MKV files when madVR does it live? I've tried the measurement on one file and can see any difference in performance (visually or rendering time).

Thanks.

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Ian_Currie is online now  
post #4663 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Member
 
VerGreeneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Can someone briefly explain the purpose of measuring our MKV files when madVR does it live? I've tried the measurement on one file and can see any difference in performance (visually or rendering time).
Simply put, the live version can't see into the future, so if a scene change happens it can't know what the average lighting for that scene will be. It can still adjust to changes pretty quickly so most of the time the difference won't be very noticeable, but some changes are so sudden and erratic that there will be a noticeable adjustment period.
BlueChris likes this.
VerGreeneyes is offline  
post #4664 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerGreeneyes View Post
Simply put, the live version can't see into the future, so if a scene change happens it can't know what the average lighting for that scene will be. It can still adjust to changes pretty quickly so most of the time the difference won't be very noticeable, but some changes are so sudden and erratic that there will be a noticeable adjustment period.
Perfect explanation, thank you!

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Ian_Currie is online now  
post #4665 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Member
 
BerndFfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Frankfurt / Main, Germany
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelioX View Post
I've tried 3 times to create the measurament file of my MKV file of Pacific Rim UHD HDR.
Every time I get incomplete. The process arrives at 100% but the final file is incomplete.
I measured Pacific Rim and Pacific Rim 2 from mkv (makemkv) with the newest build. Worked well.

Bernd


PS.: For a new HTPC a 1080TI or a 2080 is better ?

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
BerndFfm is offline  
post #4666 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndFfm View Post
PS.: For a new HTPC a 1080TI or a 2080 is better ?
They have about the same performance as of now but Madshi recommends buying RTX (so 2080 in your case) rather than GTX (1080ti) for new builds.

The tensor cores in the new RTX models might be put to good use in MadVR in the future (my words, not his).

By the way Bernd, have you checked that you have allowed MakeMKV to update its system files in MakeMKV's configuration (View/Preferences/General/Allowing Contacting Web Server for Updates)? I can't understand why you don't get updates and still have to update files manually.

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 12-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Manni01 is online now  
post #4667 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndFfm View Post
Update : http://download.seven-c.de/files/madvr/htpccontrol.zip

- Much faster and much less memory use when measuring HDR files.
- The program maybe hangs up, I hope that is fixed.
- The files with the extensions .9900, .9950 etc. are deleted, they are no longer needed.

Bernd
Hi,
I'm sorry to inform you that I have had no luck with this update.
The first .mkv is scanned without any problem and with the summery information showing up last.
Nothing more happens and the GPU returns to basically zero again.
arcspin is offline  
post #4668 of 6749 Old 12-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Neo-XP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 863
@madshi Bright halos are clearly visible here with the last build (everything under "trade quality..." unchecked):

madVRhdrMeasure36 (300-0.010-3) / madVRhdrMeasure38


Samsung Wonderland Two HDR UHD 4K Demo - Frame 1127

The "repair repair blur strength" is probably too low.

300-0.010-disabled / 300-0.010-noblur / 300-0.010-2 / 300-0.010-3 / 300-0.010-5 / 300-0.010-7 / 300-0.010-10



I would suggest 3 as the absolute minimum (and my preferred value), but maybe 5 if you want to be "safe".

Edit:

I had to double-check this one to be sure, but it also looks worse on the last build (all "trade quality..." settings disabled):

madVRhdrMeasure36 (300-0.010-3) / madVRhdrMeasure38


BvS - Frame 213230

Last edited by Neo-XP; 12-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Neo-XP is online now  
post #4669 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
I've updated my algo(link in my sig) following the new measurements. Here is the explanation:

[EDIT 29-12-18: from test build 38, the black bars are not taken into account anymore. I have updated my algo and for now I've decided to experiment with something very close to @Dexter Kane 's values, apart from a few tuned thresholds. The profiles are often higher than with my older algo as his curve for AVGFMLL is less linear than mine, but it might be a good thing so I'm going to try and see how it is. As I'm going to get close to 140nits in low lamp with my new PJ, I might be happy with this. I'm going to set my lamp to high with the rs500 to get 145nits and see what I like and don't like. Unless I'm very unhappy with a few selections, I'm unlikely to finetune this until I get my new PJ anyway. For now I've taken out all the exceptions/special cases. I haven't had the time to update the list of films attached below, I'll do this when I find the time].

Dexter, thanks for the starting point. I think we had arrived at something very similar, the main difference being the black bars. I thought it would make sense to start with your values now that we have the same measurements as the black bars are not taken into account anymore. I slightly changed a few thresholds to catch a few exceptions, but it's mostly your last values, as linked in the post describing my algo. Let us know if you've changed it since. I plan to watch my usual test files over the next few days (I haven't done any visual testing yet). Can you remind me what your actual peak brightness is?

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #4670 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I've updated my algo(link in my sig) following the new measurements. Here is the explanation:

[EDIT 29-12-18: from test build 38, the black bars are not taken into account anymore. I have updated my algo and for now I've decided to experiment with something very close to @Dexter Kane 's values, apart from a few tuned thresholds. The profiles are often higher than with my older algo as his curve for AVGFMLL is less linear than mine, but it might be a good thing so I'm going to try and see how it is. As I'm going to get close to 140nits in low lamp with my new PJ, I might be happy with this. I'm going to set my lamp to high with the rs500 to get 145nits and see what I like and don't like. Unless I'm very unhappy with a few selections, I'm unlikely to finetune this until I get my new PJ anyway. For now I've taken out all the exceptions/special cases. I haven't had the time to update the list of films attached below, I'll do this when I find the time].

Dexter, thanks for the starting point. I think we had arrived at something very similar, the main difference being the black bars. I thought it would make sense to start with your values now that we have the same measurements as the black bars are not taken into account anymore. I slightly changed a few thresholds to catch a few exceptions, but it's mostly your last values, as linked in the post describing my algo. Let us know if you've changed it since. I plan to watch my usual test files over the next few days (I haven't done any visual testing yet). Can you remind me what your actual peak brightness is?
The last one I posted is quite different to what I'm currently using, the avgFMLL values that I'm currently using are completely linear, so if avgFMLL < 300 activate 300 nits profile and so on. I've also changed the avgFALL curve but that seems like it's a lot more to do with taste or at least based on the measured brightness of the display.

Here are my current rules, my measured brightness was 212nits, I've added rules up to 800nits because I found a couple of very bright titles (The Meg and Lego Batman) but obviously just end it at whatever maximum and minimum you want.

if (hdrVideoPeak <= 210) "200nits"
else if (hdrVideoPeak <=220) "212nits"
else if (AvgFMLL = 0) "250nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 6) "200nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 100) "200nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 9) "212nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 11) "225nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 225) "225nits"
else if (avgFall <= 12) "250nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 250) "250nits"
else if (AvgFall <= 14) "275nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 275) "275nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 16) "300nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 300) "300nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 18) "325nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 325) "325nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 22) "350nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 350) "350nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 26) "375nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 375) "375nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 30) "400nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 400) "400nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 34) "425nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 425) "425nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 38) "450nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 450) "450nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 42) "475nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 475) "475nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 48) "500nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 500) "500nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 54) "525nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 525) "525nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 62) "550nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 550) "550nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 72) "575nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 575) "575nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 82) "600nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 600) "600nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 92) "625nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 625) "625nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 102) "650nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 650) "650nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 112) "675nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 675) "675nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 122) "700nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 700) "700nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 132) "725nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 725) "725nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 142) "750nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 750) "750nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 152) "775nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 775) "775nits"
else if (AvgFMLL > 775) "800nits"
Manni01 likes this.

Last edited by Dexter Kane; 12-29-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Dexter Kane is online now  
post #4671 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Kane View Post
The last one I posted is quite different to what I'm currently using, the avgFMLL values that I'm currently using are completely linear, so if avgFMLL < 300 activate 300 nits profile and so on. I've also changed the avgFALL curve but that seems like it's a lot more to do with taste or at least based on the measured brightness of the display.

Here are my current rules, my measured brightness was 212nits, I've added rules up to 800nits because I found a couple of very bright titles (The Meg and Lego Batman) but obviously just end it at whatever maximum and minimum you want.

if (hdrVideoPeak <= 210) "200nits"
else if (hdrVideoPeak <=220) "212nits"
else if (AvgFMLL = 0) "250nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 6) "200nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 100) "200nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 9) "212nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 11) "225nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 225) "225nits"
else if (avgFall <= 12) "250nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 250) "250nits"
else if (AvgFall <= 14) "275nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 275) "275nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 16) "300nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 300) "300nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 18) "325nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 325) "325nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 22) "350nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 350) "350nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 26) "375nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 375) "375nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 30) "400nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 400) "400nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 34) "425nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 425) "425nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 38) "450nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 450) "450nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 42) "475nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 475) "475nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 48) "500nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 500) "500nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 54) "525nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 525) "525nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 62) "550nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 550) "550nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 72) "575nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 575) "575nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 82) "600nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 600) "600nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 92) "625nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 625) "625nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 102) "650nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 650) "650nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 112) "675nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 675) "675nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 122) "700nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 700) "700nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 132) "725nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 725) "725nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 142) "750nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 750) "750nits"
else if (AvgFALL <= 152) "775nits"
else if (AvgFMLL <= 775) "775nits"
else if (AvgFMLL > 775) "800nits"
Thanks, it makes sense for 212nits peak brightness. That won't work for me at 100nits or even 145nits but I'll link to it in my post for users with 200nits or more. It might work if I switch to high lamp on my new PJ but I'm reluctant to do this (fan noise, heat, power use).

Sure profiles are hopefully going to be obsolete soon for HDR, but until a revised utility offers an algo I'm happy with to populate the new target nits field, I'm not going to stop watching films, so I needed something to deal with the new build measurements, because my old algo wasn't going to work, unlike yours as you've never taken the black bars into account thanks to your cropping...

I'm unlikely to spend much time on this until I get my new PJ hopefully in January and @Soulnight gives us an updated tool. Then we'll see...
Dexter Kane likes this.

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #4672 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
@madshi

I've posted the measurements for my HDR example titles in my algo post (link in sig).

I've left the previous measurements, so we can compare the measurements taken with black bars (older builds) and without (latest build).

As expected, MaxFALL, AvgFALL and AvgFMLL values go up as the aspect ratio gets wider.

It looks like you might have slightly changed the calculations for MaxCLL, as it usually goes up but occasionally goes down.

I haven't spotted anything weird, but I thought the data might be useful if you (and others) wanted to check for these 25 titles or so.

I'm hoping to be able to do some watching over the next few days...

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #4673 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I have the feeling that Htpc is remeasuring files that were already measured with the latest madVR build. How can I check what version of MadVR was used on a particular file? There is no information in the txt file and measurement files cannot be opened with Notepad++. Or should I change the encoding in Notepad++?
hasta666 is online now  
post #4674 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5619
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
I have the feeling that Htpc is remeasuring files that were already measured with the latest madVR build. How can I check what version of MadVR was used on a particular file? There is no information in the txt file and measurement files cannot be opened with Notepad++. Or should I change the encoding in Notepad++?
Use @pandm1967 's updated tool linked above (simply drop the measurement file on the program window). In the upper left corner, it displays the file version. Latest one is 6, so a V6 file shouldn't be remeasured, but a V5 will (that's the difference between build 37 and build 38).

JVC Autocal Software V12 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is online now  
post #4675 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 04:17 AM
Senior Member
 
the_jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandm1967 View Post
For someone who may still need this simple tool : madMeasurementAnalyzer, ability to read version 4-6 measurement files.



It also includes a simple tool that automatically measures the UHD directories and creates hard links to the measurement files : madMeasurementMakeHardLink.

Hints of madMeasurementMakeHardLink:
1. create madMeasurement files for UHD Driver. (each directory contains a single UHD movie). The UHD Driver can be local or network mapped driver.
2. If madMeasureHDR is running > 45 minutes. consider madMeasureHDR hangs, automatically terminate it , and create a .failure file(skip this directory on the next run), then proceeds to the next directory.
3. Skip the multi-segments(the size of main stream < total size / 2), created(madmeasurement file existed), and previous failure(.failure file existed) UHD movies.

4. create hard links (index.bdmv.measurements and .mpls.measurements) for madmeasurement files. (Does not consume extra disk space). Kodi DSPlayer uses index.bdmv as main file on playing UHD directory. MPC-BE uses ?????.mpls as main file on playing UHD directory.
5. Because the hard link cannot be created for network files, the UHD driver only lists the local drivers.
6. You need to manually select the main playlist file for the new UHD movie.
7. Recreate the hard links after you apply SoulNight's madMeasureDynamicClipping.
Thanks much for this tool. Pardon my ignorance, but I want to confirm if this tool will work for me - I have BDMV folders ripped from my UHD's and stored on my NAS. Will I be able to use this tool to create measurement files that can be used by madvr later while playback?

I would hate to convert all these files to MKV's...
the_jaguar is offline  
post #4676 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
chros73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
There is no information in the txt file and measurement files cannot be opened with Notepad++. Or should I change the encoding in Notepad++?
These files are binary files, you can't open them in a text editor but in a hex editor. But just use pandm's tool as @Manni suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandm1967 View Post
For someone who may still need this simple tool : madMeasurementAnalyzer, ability to read version 4-6 measurement files.
I noticed that it also read the Target field, but we can't set it (as MaxCLL). Can you also add this to it?

@Soulnight ,Anna: I tried to open a v6 file in v2.4 but it says that the histogram columns are wrong. Can you update your tool to be compatible with v6? (No further improvements are needed for now.) Thanks

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
chros73 is offline  
post #4677 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
@chros73 @Manni01

New version of our tool coming today with a few new updates/features ;-)
CoryW, SamuriHL, Mevlock and 9 others like this.
Soulnight is online now  
post #4678 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 05:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Thanks much for this tool. Pardon my ignorance, but I want to confirm if this tool will work for me - I have BDMV folders ripped from my UHD's and stored on my NAS. Will I be able to use this tool to create measurement files that can be used by madvr later while playback?
Yes,This is what I did. I use "Run Measure" of madMeasurementMakeHardLink to measure the main stream of UHDs, because Kodi DSPlayer use index.bdmv and MPC use ?????.mpls as main media file, so I use "Make Hard Link" to create hard links of these measurement files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
I noticed that it also read the Target field, but we can't set it (as MaxCLL). Can you also add this to it?
Yes, the target nits field can be edited, just input your desire value, the field turns yellow, and the Save button is visible.
pandm1967 is online now  
post #4679 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Use @pandm1967 's updated tool linked above (simply drop the measurement file on the program window). In the upper left corner, it displays the file version. Latest one is 6, so a V6 file shouldn't be remeasured, but a V5 will (that's the difference between build 37 and build 38).


It actually does remeasure v6 files. Don’t know what’s wrong on my side. The detection feature might be broken. I’m not gonna worry to much at this point though, I’m expecting some v7 to appear at some point ;-)
hasta666 is online now  
post #4680 of 6749 Old 12-29-2018, 06:22 AM
Member
 
BerndFfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Frankfurt / Main, Germany
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcspin View Post
Hi, I'm sorry to inform you that I have had no luck with this update.
The first .mkv is scanned without any problem and with the summery information showing up last.
Nothing more happens and the GPU returns to basically zero again.
Sorry for this. Here its working, I will test it again.

Manni : Now my makemkv loads the newest keys automatically. Thanks for the information.

Bernd
Manni01 likes this.

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
BerndFfm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dynamic tone mapping , hdr , madvr , sdr , ton mapping

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off