Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7127Likes

post #4741 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5589 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
@Soulnight

Thanks for adding the skipping of files when measurements already exist. Unfortunately there seems to be a bug: it looks like it deletes the original folder when present, and also it doesn't seem to calculate some measurements files if the measurements is new but an old log exits. So two thinks to check for:

- Can you check that the measurments file isn't more recent than the log, in which case you should dismiss the log and remeasure, especially if there is no "original" folder
- Can you find why the utility deletes the original folder instead of just skipping when the measurements are already made and we have both a log and an original folder. Of course I have used the "delete all" or "restore" option. [EDIT: checking, it looks like the utility did a "restore" instead of only measuring the files that needed to be. I'm going to delete manually all the logs to see if it helps, but it's weird].

Thanks!

Manni

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 12-30-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
4) and finally, @Manni01 , that's for you.
We skip already pre-optimized measurement files!
-->Note: the tool checks the log file and the current settings of the programm.
If everything is the same, the it just skips the file.
If you changed even one setting compare to last time you run the tool, then it will be re-optimized
--> we also added a counter in the global log file to say how many measurements files were skipped since they were already optimized with the exact same settings.
[/code]

Somehow if I select a single file with "choose file" it is working. If I select a folder with "Choose folder" with files which have never been measured before and I run your tool just the measuring is done but not the target nit written to the file nor the "original" folder created. If I try the same folder again it says "Number of skipped measurement files (already optimized with identical settings): 5" even if I change the real display peak nits.
If I select one measurement file with "Choose file" from this folder it is working and the "original" folder is created and the target nits written to the measurement file.

Beside that I can honestly say I never had a better PQ before!

NoTechi
CoryW likes this.
post #4743 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
madmeasuredynamicclipping Tool V2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
@Soulnight

Thanks for adding the skipping of files when measurements already exist. Unfortunately there seems to be a bug: it looks like it deletes the original folder when present, and also it doesn't seem to calculate some measurements files if the measurements is new but an old log exits. So two thinks to check for:

- Can you check that the measurments file isn't more recent than the log, in which case you should dismiss the log and remeasure, especially if there is no "original" folder
- Can you find why the utility deletes the original folder instead of just skipping when the measurements are already made and we have both a log and an original folder. Of course I have used the "delete all" or "restore" option. [EDIT: checking, it looks like the utility did a "restore" instead of only measuring the files that needed to be. I'm going to delete manually all the logs to see if it helps, but it's weird].

Thanks!

Manni
For point 1: we expect than the "delete all measurement button" has been used , which should have deleted all old measurements files, log files and original folders.
Of course, we could add what you suggest later.

For point 2, Anna thinks she found the issue. Somehow we did not see the issue in our own testing earlier.

So please try the attached version V2.8 of our madmeasure dynamic clipping tool.

Cheers,
Anna&Flo

OUTDATED: please follow link to latest version in signature
Attached Files
File Type: zip madMeasureDynamicClipping V2.8 exe.zip (832.5 KB, 62 views)
SamuriHL, Manni01, clark17 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Soulnight; 12-31-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
Somehow if I select a single file with "choose file" it is working. If I select a folder with "Choose folder" with files which have never been measured before and I run your tool just the measuring is done but not the target nit written to the file nor the "original" folder created. If I try the same folder again it says "Number of skipped measurement files (already optimized with identical settings): 5" even if I change the real display peak nits.
If I select one measurement file with "Choose file" from this folder it is working and the "original" folder is created and the target nits written to the measurement file.
Beside that I can honestly say I never had a better PQ before!
NoTechi

Please try V2.8 to see it it solves your issue.

Also @NoTechi and @Manni01 : did you:
1) define a separate folder to save your measurements files
2) or do you use the same folder as the measurement file.
We did not test option 1) lately since we do not use it. So this may not work.
Option 2 should work fine in V2.8.
post #4745 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:

No V.2.8 is not solving it. My problem in simple words if I select a movie file with "Choose file" it is first measuring and then optimizing it by creating the original folder and modifying the measuring file. If I choose a folder with "Choose path" it is measuring all movie files in this path but it is not optimizing it.

To your question I store the measurement files within the movie folder, so no seperate measurement folder.

NoTechi
post #4746 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
No V.2.8 is not solving it. My problem in simple words if I select a movie file with "Choose file" it is first measuring and then optimizing it by creating the original folder and modifying the measuring file. If I choose a folder with "Choose path" it is measuring all movie files in this path but it is not optimizing it.

To your question I store the measurement files within the movie folder, so no seperate measurement folder.

NoTechi

Hi NoTechi,

I'm using "Choose Path" with V2.7 (still crunching them) and it looks like all my movies (in a separate folders) get original folder created with original measuring file along with modified optimized measuring file. I assume everything is fine, as both measuring files (original and optimized) are not the same and I get log file for each movie.

Are you not getting the original folder created? Maybe I missing something?
post #4747 of 7794 Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I always use separate folders for each file, so no common folder specified for measurements files. Will try V2.8, thanks!

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #4748 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandm1967 View Post
Yes,This is what I did. I use "Run Measure" of madMeasurementMakeHardLink to measure the main stream of UHDs, because Kodi DSPlayer use index.bdmv and MPC use ?????.mpls as main media file, so I use "Make Hard Link" to create hard links of these measurement files.
EDIT: I got D3D11 (native) to work and it's definitely faster, but it still takes about 20 to 30 minutes. Is this normal for a file located on my NAS?

When I try to create a hardlink using your tool, it asks me to select a playlist file and not the m2ts file. How do I determine which playlist to select?

Last edited by the_jaguar; 12-31-2018 at 03:28 AM.
post #4749 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For point 2, Anna thinks she found the issue. Somehow we did not see the issue in our own testing earlier.

So please try the attached version V2.8 of our madmeasure dynamic clipping tool.
Skipping files seems to be fixed in 2.8, thanks!

I'd like to keep using my batch file for now as it supports various folders plus it seems it's the only way to both get a progress of the measurements and to get a copy of MadVR's output file. Apart from its content (which is in your log), I found this useful to have in a separate file, at least for debugging, because it gives me a timestamp of the original measurements. That way when/if something goes wrong, I know if the measurements file is the original or one of yours.

So I have a few requests, namely to support the following command line arguments (these are examples, of course use whatever you prefer):

1) path to the folder to scan
2) /measure for automatic start of measurements scan, of the saved folder or of the folder specified in the command line when present
3) /delete to delete all the measurements files (including your _details.txt)
4) /restore to restore the original measurements and delete the original folder
5) auto-exit when the measurements/delete/restore are finished if launched that way (with parameters in the command line)

At the moment I'm calling your utility at the end of my batch file, I'd like to call it with the following arguments after each share scan instead:

madMeasureDynamicClipping.exe U:/@MadMeasureHDR /measure

It's fine if it only supports one path in the command line, but I guess it could support more than one switch as long as /measure is always done last.

I assume this should be easier to implement than multi-paths support within the utility itself and it would be more powerful/flexible for power users

Also please could you:

6) When MadMeasureDynamicClipping.exe is defined as the default app to open .measurements files, open the file that called it when double clicking on it. At the moment double-clicking on a .measurements file opens the utility but does nothing.
7) store the settings in a separate file or in the registry, so that when we update the utility we don't have to re-specify all the settings (path to MadVR, folder to scan, algo to use, etc)? That will make updating easier/faster and will limit the risk of errors. I often start scanning files with the manual/default algo after an update...
BerndFfm likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 12-31-2018 at 02:57 AM.
post #4750 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

madmeasuredynamicclipping Tool V2.8.1

Quote:
Skipping files seems to be fixed in 2.8, thanks!
Well... it was fixed TOO much
It was skipping also files which had not yet been measured.

Was late tonight...

So here we go again with bug fix.

Madmeasure dynamic clipping V2.8.1

Madmeasure dynamic clipping installer V2.8.1

Madmeasure dynamic clipping EXE V2.8.1

Last edited by Soulnight; 12-31-2018 at 04:07 AM.
post #4751 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 181
@Bernd

It seems like your tool skip some files. It usually does not cover the all folder but only 20-30 titles then finish. If I run it again, it starts when it « lefts ». Not a big issue though. Thanks for your work.
BerndFfm likes this.
post #4752 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I wanted to ask for something to Soulnight , in your instrument would it be possible for you implement network path , I have three NAS servers
and delete the procedure (connect network drives) Moreover, a question in general about it, in using the tool , in "trade quality" section madVR :
"compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy"
"compromise on HDR luminance channel quality"

"don't measure HDR frame peak luminance" if off by default and disables measurements + dynamic tone mapping."
they must be all three deselected , then , without putting the tick ?
Thanks.
post #4753 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Was late tonight...

Yeah, I only checked that it didn't delete the original folders and skipped files already measured.

There is no file here that haven't been measured as my batch runs the measurements first, before calling your utility, so that's a situation I didn't test for

post #4754 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_62 View Post
I wanted to ask for something to Soulnight , in your instrument would it be possible for you implement network path , I have three NAS servers
and delete the procedure (connect network drives)
You don't need that, simply map the drives in windows, that's what I do (with many NAS/network shares) and the utility works fine.

Otherwise once/if Anna supports my requests in a future version, you can create the network path in a batch file and call the utility, then delete the network path (I used to do this initially with my batch files), but it's so much simpler to map the network drives in windows that I don't see any advantage for this complication with network paths.

post #4755 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One last request:

8) Please could you add measurements of .webm files?

Thanks
Soulnight likes this.

post #4756 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Soulnight : Thanks !!!

My wish :

madMeasureDynamicClipping.exe f:\Movies
scans directory and then exits

madMeasureDynamicClipping.exe f:\Movies\Halligalli.mkv.measurements
scans file and then exits

With Update don't overwrite Path of madvr and other settings.

Thanks for your work

Bernd
pandm1967 likes this.

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
post #4757 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
You don't need that, simply map the drives in windows, that's what I do (with many NAS/network shares) and the utility works fine.

Otherwise once/if Anna supports my requests in a future version, you can create the network path in a batch file and call the utility, then delete the network path (I used to do this initially with my batch files), but it's so much simpler to map the network drives in windows that I don't see any advantage for this complication with network paths.

I understand your point very well , mine is just a request , with windows 10 pro v.1809 , sometimes it happens after turning on the PC , with the various network mappings , are always in dormant...anyway , we await a response from Soulnight.
post #4758 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hou Bernd i been using your htpccontrol tool to send commands to my jvc rs420 but every time i get a conflict .
When i fill in 1 command in madvr ,for example PictureModeUser1 it works ,butt when i fill in a second command ( PictureModeUser2 )
the jvc gets a conflict .
It looks like the JVC is receiving the 2 commands at the same time .
What i would like to do is switch between 2 Usermodes ,1 for SDR and 1 for the Tonemapping with madVR .
post #4759 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
EDIT: I got D3D11 (native) to work and it's definitely faster, but it still takes about 20 to 30 minutes. Is this normal for a file located on my NAS?

When I try to create a hardlink using your tool, it asks me to select a playlist file and not the m2ts file. How do I determine which playlist to select?
It takes 20-30 minutes for files on the NAS via Giga Net to be normal.

Determining the correct playlist for UHD is a issue. For most UHDs, just drag the UHD directory to your favorite player, then check the player's information to find out the correct playlist.

If your favorite is Kodi DSPlayer, you can simply skip the playlist selection.

Last edited by pandm1967; 12-31-2018 at 06:55 AM.
post #4760 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandm1967 View Post
It takes 20-30 minutes for files on the NAS via Giga Net to be normal.

Determining the correct playlist for UHD is a issue. For most UHDs, just drag the UHD directory to your favorite player, then check the player's information to find out the correct playlist.

If your favorite is Kodi DSPlayer, you can simply skip the playlist selection.
Got it - thanks! If I skip the playlist, your tool seems to abort the process and not create a measurement link for index.bmdv either.
post #4761 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Was late tonight...

Fixed it kinda at least for folders where no measurement file is in. A folder which I already measured but where no optimization was done it is still saying that it is skipping the files since they are optimized already (but they are not and there is no "Original" folder). However since it is working now for non measured folders I can just remeasure that folder or select each measure file individually to optimize it.
Thanks Soulnight & Anna

NoTechi
post #4762 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
if (hdr) and (srcWidth <= 3840) and (srcHeight <= 2160) and (fps > 31) "BT2390 Mode 10 (Fast)"
else if (hdr) "HDR BT2390"
else "Send Metadata SDR"

[EDIT: I have a default target of 401nits in my single HDR BT2390 profile, to make sure that a different target displayed in the OSD comes from the measurements file.]

I wanted to ask you , this rule it is to be applied in "Profile auto select rules" madVR ? I would like to try to make some measurements with that target nits.
post #4763 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fixed it kinda at least for folders where no measurement file is in. A folder which I already measured but where no optimization was done it is still saying that it is skipping the files since they are optimized already (but they are not and there is no "Original" folder). However since it is working now for non measured folders I can just remeasure that folder or select each measure file individually to optimize it.
Thanks Soulnight & Anna

NoTechi
Make sure your delete the _details.txt report files, otherwise it can prevent measurements (until this is addressed).
NoTechi likes this.

post #4764 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy New Year everyone, have a great evening and a wonderful year 2019!
CoryW, AmigoHD, zombie10k and 8 others like this.

post #4765 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Happy New Year everyone, have a great evening and a wonderful year 2019!
A big thanks to Madshi, Manni, Soulnight, Neo-XP and all the other for your amazing work!
Thank you all!
AmigoHD, Manni01, NoTechi and 4 others like this.
post #4766 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Its officialy 2019 here so happy new year guys, thanks for ur great effort.
Manni01, neo_2009, toby5 and 1 others like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #4767 of 7794 Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Got it - thanks! If I skip the playlist, your tool seems to abort the process and not create a measurement link for index.bmdv either.
No, if you skip the playlist, it will only skip the playlist for that directory. Looking at the image below, I skip the first two directories, which still create a hard link to index.bdmv.measurements and skip the playlist hard link.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-1-1.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2503562  
post #4768 of 7794 Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 2813
@Soulnight any chance you can change the options passed to the file dialog so it can show hidden folders and/or to allow the user to simply paste in a path? reason being I reuse the jriver madvr installation which lives in %APPDATA% and this folder does not seem accessible using the file picker dialog as it is configured

EDIT: for now I have edited the config file manually (in %LOCALAPPDATA%\madMeasureDynamicClipping\madMeasur eDynamicClipping_Url_zfranqdzcq2or4a3fgswcfntealzy 4kk\2.8.1.0) but would be useful to be able to avoid this

Last edited by 3ll3d00d; 01-01-2019 at 03:55 AM.
post #4769 of 7794 Old 01-01-2019, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hy guys and happy 2019 to all of you .... I wanted to know if when making the measurements the three options regarding the Hdr in TRADE QUALITY FOR PERFORMANCE must be checked or not.
post #4770 of 7794 Old 01-01-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
@Soulnight any chance you can change the options passed to the file dialog so it can show hidden folders and/or to allow the user to simply paste in a path? reason being I reuse the jriver madvr installation which lives in %APPDATA% and this folder does not seem accessible using the file picker dialog as it is configured

EDIT: for now I have edited the config file manually (in %LOCALAPPDATA%\madMeasureDynamicClipping\madMeasur eDynamicClipping_Url_zfranqdzcq2or4a3fgswcfntealzy 4kk\2.8.1.0) but would be useful to be able to avoid this
There is no need for that. Simply make hidden files visible in windows (display the content of C:, then select view/hidden items) and they will show in Soulnight's utility, as with any windows software. If you don't want to seem them afterwards, uncheck hidden items.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dynamic tone mapping , hdr , madvr , sdr , ton mapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page