[EDIT: This version has been replaced by V4.0. Please go here for more details and to download the latest version.]
As we can now get full UHD Bluray menu support with jRiver, I've started ripping my discs to BD Folders.
[EDIT: to specifically measure BD Folders, I recommend using
's utility posted here
. I'll update my batch utility when I have a chance.]
I'm not ready to lose the improvements brought by measurements files (yet!) so I've done some work to get these supported, as pandm1965's tool doesn't support network shares.
It's a work in progress, as for now measurements files are only detected when playing the main movie in jRiver, not when using the menu. But I'm hoping that
can fix this at some point. [EDIT: it looks like Nevcairiel has made some changes in LAV that should help with this]
At least this allows us to not have to rip to both BD Folders to get menus and mkvs to get measurements files.
I'll explain how it works so that others can implement in their tools or do it manually if they wish [below EDITED following debugging with jRiver]:
1) It's pointless to measure all the .m2ts files in the STREAM folder. Not necessary and time consuming.
2) The file that needs to be measured is the main .mpls file in the PLAYLIST folder. This is the case for all players (tested with jRiver and MPC-BE).
3) However, the file name always changes, even if it's often one of a few common ones (00800.mpls for example).
4) To get around this, one can measure the index.bdmv file in the BDMV folder. This will create a measurements file equal to the one you'd get measuring the main playlist directly.
5) Then you have to copy the index.bdmv.measurements file into the PLAYLIST folder [EDIT: done automatically from V3.31]
, and rename it so that it relates to the main playlist, so 00800.mpls.measurements in our example).
6) To identify the main playlist, set your player to display the whole path in the title bar or seek bar and drop the whole folder in it. That way, you can see which file is the main playlist.
7) With some titles (those with different versions of the movie, TV Series, etc) you might have to measure more than one .mpls file manually, or if you just use index.bdmv you usally will only have the longest one (so extended version, not theatrical). The batch file doesn't handle this yet at this stage. [EDIT: now possible, see point 9 below].
8) Different players will occasionally identify different playlists as the main playlist. For example, on American Assassin, parsing index.bdmv will lead MPC-BE to detect 00802.mpls as the main playlist, but jRiver will play 00801.mpls. In that case, index.bdmv.measurements should be copied to 00802.mpls.measurements and you have to remeasure 00801.mpls manually to create the necessary 00801.mpls.measurements.
9) For this reason, I've added in V3.31 the possiblity to use a fast mode that only measures the main .mpls, and a slower but automatic mode that measures all the .mpls files. That mode works with all titles (TV Series, more than one version of the film, etc) but it can raise measurement time exponentially (think one hour or more per title instead of 15 minutes in fast.manual mode). Note that until madVR supports measurements files when using the menus, measurements won't be used when using menus to select the file to play in jRiver.
If Anna and Flo were kind enough to add .mpls support to the filetypes they recognize for optimization (bdmv doesn't seem to be necessary), we would be able to optimise these measurements files as well (I'll post in the other thread to suggest a few things to
I've added another feature from the V3.20 of the batch file: if you provide the registry files, it can now switch automatically to D3D11 native for better performance during measurements, and back to D3D11 copyback (if you want to) to restore software only features, such as black bars detection in madVR or UHD Bluray menus in jRiver, as these don't work with native, they need copyback.
Please don't ask questions about this batch file here in order not to derail the thread. This is provided as is, to be used at your own risks. It should be very straightforward to adapt for anyone familiar with batch files. If you're not, then it's not a tool for you .
[EDIT: I updated the file to V3.21 as V3.20 was measuring unnecessary .bdmv files in some titles]
[EDIT: I update the file to V3.30 to add the fast/slow option for BD Folders measurements and also delete an unnecessary PAUSE command that was only there for testing.]
[EDIT: I update the file to V3.31 to correct the scan of files in the BACKUP folder, copy automatically the index.bdmv.measurements file to the PLAYLIST folder, and create automatically an empty index.bdmv.measurements file in the BDMV folder to prevent re-measuring when the folder is scanned the next time. I also deleted the Auto Fast/Slow variable so that you can use one or the other method with different shares, for example index.bdmv only with movies and all .mpls files with TV Series. Examples are provided in the batch file to illustrate this.]