Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7655Likes

post #6811 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I still notice flickering in the UHD HDR Benchmark video in various scenes. So maybe it's improved, but not fully fixed yet.

I confirm, I'm looking at a movie now, much better, but sometimes it happens

Sorry for my bad English
Epson LS10500 - AMD RX580 - LightSpace CMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
I still notice flickering in the UHD HDR Benchmark video in various scenes. So maybe it's improved, but not fully fixed yet.
The worst one (when the target was going lower than the real nits) seems fixed for me

Quote:
Glad you like it! Not happy with the shadow detail in 0:04:40, though. Maybe some more fine tuning could be needed.
I don't see anything chocking in this scene in the first place, but even with 12 settings to adapt, the new build seems way easier to work with compared to the various combinations of build 99b.
post #6813 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 579 Post(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
The worst one (when the target was going lower than the real nits) seems fixed for me
Yes, that one was fixed.

Quote:
I don't see anything chocking in this scene in the first place, but even with 12 settings to adapt, the new build seems way easier to work with compared to the various combinations of build 99b.
Glad to hear that. Personally, I find these new 12 settings to be somewhat unpredictable. You can change one value and it affects some scenes but not others, and not always in the same way. So it's tricky to find good values that work for all scenes. But in my tests I've found that the most important parameters are when to switch from 50 to 100 and when to switch from 100 to 200. Of course it's still possible to play with other values, as well. Doesn't have to be 50, 100 and 200. But these seemed to work reasonably well, so that's what I used as a first attempt at decent settings.
Neo-XP and quietvoid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Quoted: 5655 Post(s)
Liked: 5982
Quote:
Definitely not fixed, it looks like you've picked the worst curves (97+96). Unwatchable flickering in The Shallows (as reported yesterday), The Meg (the whole sequence with the helicopter and the little girl, as well as in the elevator).

Is the way to disable sky detection to set sky strength to zero? I'm wondering if this could be the issue, because I can't see how you could miss this.

I'm using my real peak nits (110nits).

I'm going back to 99b with don't keep anything+96 as I can't do any useful testing with such strong flickering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2628734  

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro
post #6815 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed one of the timecodes in the test scenes was a little off. I actually meant the city at 0:04:35, not 0:04:40. Also I've added one more, the stag at 0:00:42. Here's an updated list:

- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:00:12: grass and trees should not be flat, mountains should have nice contrast
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:00:35: horses shouldn't become too bright and flat
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:00:42: the stag shouldn't become too dark
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:00:48: the bottom, middle and high part of the mountain shouldn't become more flat than HSTM Off
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:01:20: trees on the right middle shouldn't be darkened too much, but overall contrast should be improved
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:04:35: shadow detail should hopefully be improved slightly (compared to HSTM off), the more the better
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:05:05: the hill on the left side shouldn't become too bright or flat
- UHD HDR Benchmark: 0:05:55: white heads of the cows should not lose too much depth/detail
- Black Hawk Down Helicopter scene should have improved shadow detail (compared to HSTM off), the more the better
SamuriHL and Neo-XP like this.
post #6816 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Definitely not fixed, it looks like you've picked the worst curves (97+96). Unwatchable flickering in The Shallows (as reported yesterday), The Meg (the whole sequence with the helicopter and the little girl, as well as in the elevator).
I've picked the curves that looked best to me in paused/still frames. I've not really worked on fixing the flickering yet (other than fixing the bug which occurred when the frame peak was near to the real peak nits). That's very high on my list now, though. I've always said (right from the start) that the HSTM test build are expected to flicker. They're not meant to be used for real movie watching just yet. First priority is to make still images look as good as possible. Then the next priority will be to fix the flickering.

Quote:
Is the way to disable sky detection to set sky strength to zero? I'm wondering if this could be the issue, because I can't see how you could miss this.
Yes, strength 0 disables it. There's nothing I missed. I know it flickers, it's as expected. It's a work in progress...

Quote:
I'm going back to 99b with don't keep anything+96 as I can't do any useful testing with such strong flickering.
Well, you can test with paused frames, or with scenes which don't flicker too much. But if you want to wait until I've fixed the flickering, that's ok with me. At that point we might already have decided on the final HSTM curve parameters, though.
Manni01, Salty01 and quietvoid like this.
post #6817 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've picked the curves that looked best to me in paused/still frames. I've not really worked on fixing the flickering yet (other than fixing the bug which occurred when the frame peak was near to the real peak nits). That's very high on my list now, though. I've always said (right from the start) that the HSTM test build are expected to flicker. They're not meant to be used for real movie watching just yet. First priority is to make still images look as good as possible. Then the next priority will be to fix the flickering.

Yes, strength 0 disables it. There's nothing I missed. I know it flickers, it's as expected. It's a work in progress...

Well, you can test with paused frames, or with scenes which don't flicker too much. But if you want to wait until I've fixed the flickering, that's ok with me. At that point we might already have decided on the final HSTM curve parameters, though.
I know you've said to ignore the flickering, and I've ignored it until 99b, because it was "ignorable".

But in 100, the combination that you have picked makes it impossible to assess anything half the time. I don't know what is expected and what is not. It's just a complete freak show.

There are not many scenes that don't flicker too much, unless they are super dark with no highlights, so I don't see the point of testing these.

As soon as there is any brightness / highlights, it's flickorama.

I'm not using madVR at the moment to watch films, I don't have the time to watch films. I'm only taking a bit of time whenever I can at the end of the day to do some limited testing and try to help.

I only reported the curves that produced the least flickering as well as a test sequence so that you can use that when you try to fix it.

I'll resume testing when the flickering is resolved, or at least back to pre-100 intensity (99b with don't keep and 96 is not perfect but fine).

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #6818 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Manni01 Maybe try these:

I don't get any bad flickering stopping me from testing any scene (yes, even the scene from The Shallow you reported).

Edit: This small modification improves shadow detail compared to the default parameters:

Edit2:

To increase the brightness of the Black Hawk Down scene a bit more:

Last edited by Neo-XP; 10-17-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #6819 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I tried your settings exactly, it's still a flicker fest here

I had tried before to enable/disable a few things, and it looks like it's the curves.

No idea why you have no flickering with these settings and I do. Maybe drivers/OS/decoding/other settings?

Anyway it's late, I'll stick to 99b with don't keep + 96 until madshi fixes the flickering.

Thanks again

Last edited by Manni01; 10-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #6820 of 8118 Old 10-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I'm going back to 99b with don't keep anything+96......
Yes also for me the 99b with Lowlow74 settings and "don't keep anything + 96" remains the most precise (except flickering)

Sorry for my bad English
Epson LS10500 - AMD RX580 - LightSpace CMS

Last edited by Icaro; 10-17-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #6821 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Build 100 pics: https://ibb.co/album/m8M4Va
post #6822 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 1827
Quote:
New test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure100.zip

1) HSTM options are completely reworked. Hopefully default options work fine (?). FWIW, strength has a default of 50 now.

2) Saturation for dynamic tone mapping was reworked. It should now lose a lot less saturation in some situations (but not all). There should finally be no difference in saturation between HSTM on vs off. Please stay with "don't desaturate" for now. The current desaturation options don't work too well.
WOW!

I just tested madVRhdrMeasure100 and I love it!
The saturation reworked has payed off!

I have watched with defaut settings (REC709, Gamma2.2, Don't Desaturate, DynamicClipping 0, Sky strength 0, recover shadow detail 0) some scenes of:
- Guardian of the Galaxy 2
- Deadpool
- X-Men Apocalyspe
- Coco
- The Meg

It was just pure eye candy, now that we can have HTSM goodness while preserving color saturation!
The new default setting of V100 are very good.

All the bad scenes I had with 99b are resolved with V100.

However, there is this one scene where HTSM is very active... and maybe darkening the shadow detail a bit too much in the intro of Guardian of the Galaxy 2.

Here the comparison: HTSM ON vs OFF:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/J01JJNNU

But generally while the effect is also strong, I still like like HSTM better anyway:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/DWYD7NNX

Otherwise, I did not look for flickering, just playing pause, and switching back and forther with 2 profiles and shortcuts.

EDIT: I compared HTSM 0% strength with 100% strength ;-)
The default settings did not overwrite my 2 comparison profile and I missed that 50% strength is the new recommended default settings.
Probably with 50% strength, it will be even safer. But I liked 100% strength a LOT anyway!
stevenjw, madshi, markmon1 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Soulnight; 10-18-2019 at 04:09 AM.
post #6823 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
looks indeed great
@madshi only the measurment files from souldnight are not usable yet

keep up the great work guys
cheers janosch
RioBar4U and Neo-XP like this.
post #6824 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't desaturate / Desaturate 1 / Desaturate 2

RIP details

Good for a "vivid" mode though.
Manni01 and sat4all like this.
post #6825 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't desaturate / Desaturate 1 / Desaturate 2

RIP details

Good for a "vivid" mode though.
Desaturate 1 looks like a decent compromise though between saturation and details in this case.

Don't desaturate isn't oversaturated as a vivid mode would be, it just loses too much details.

Desaturate 2 isn't more accurate to the original picture from a calibration point of view (in fact it's likely less accurate), it just retains more details thanks to the desaturation.

The lack of detail in don't desaturate is obvious on a still frame, but when watching the film the desaturation of desaturate 2 is obvious too. That's why I'd go for a compromise such as desaturate 1 in that case.

Trying to fit 10,000nits in 100nits means that you have to compromise somewhere
stevenjw, CoryW and Neo-XP like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 10-18-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #6826 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Everyone , please let's not discuss saturation at this time, it would side track HSTM. It's a separate topic, to be visited after we're done with HSTM. FWIW, I'm not happy with the current desaturation behaviour. So there's no real use to compare the desaturation options right now.
post #6827 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
WOW!

I just tested madVRhdrMeasure100 and I love it!
The saturation reworked has payed off!

I have watched with defaut settings (REC709, Gamma2.2, Don't Desaturate, DynamicClipping 0, Sky strength 0, recover shadow detail 0) some scenes of:
- Guardian of the Galaxy 2
- Deadpool
- X-Men Apocalyspe
- Coco
- The Meg

It was just pure eye candy, now that we can have HTSM goodness while preserving color saturation!
The new default setting of V100 are very good.

All the bad scenes I had with 99b are resolved with V100.

However, there is this one scene where HTSM is very active... and maybe darkening the shadow detail a bit too much in the intro of Guardian of the Galaxy 2.

Here the comparison: HTSM ON vs OFF:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/J01JJNNU

But generally while the effect is also strong, I still like like HSTM better anyway:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/DWYD7NNX

Otherwise, I did not look for flickering, just playing pause, and switching back and forther with 2 profiles and shortcuts.

EDIT: I compared HTSM 0% strength with 100% strength ;-)
The default settings did not overwrite my 2 comparison profile and I missed that 50% strength is the new recommended default settings.
Probably with 50% strength, it will be even safer. But I liked 100% strength a LOT anyway!
Both examples look far better to me with HTSM on, even with the slightly too dark parts. Did you try to have shadow restore on low or medium? Also dynamic clipping would probably help too as it would leave more room for the low end. Or lowering the HSTM strength to the 50 default.

I wasn't looking for flickering, I just couldn't find a scene without any really bad flickering. I'm wondering if using P3 rather than rec-709 plays a part in making the flickering worse.

Can you try the Shallows scene and the Meg scene mentioned in my post? I'd like to know if you do get flickering in these or if it's just me, as Neo doesn't seem to get it with his settings.

Last edited by Manni01; 10-18-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #6828 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 06:43 AM

A little more depth perhaps?: https://ibb.co/F0Cm40x

edit: Album - https://ibb.co/album/fC3Jqa

Last edited by Broags; 10-18-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #6829 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Edit: This small modification improves shadow detail compared to the default parameters:

Yes. I like these, they improve some of the images. However, the bright scene with the horses gets noticeably worse. Now of course it's a valid question if we should sacrifice quality in many of the other images just to make the horse scene look better. Probably not. So these may be better overall than the current defaults. But I wonder if we can achieve similar results without making the horses look so pale?

Quote:
To increase the brightness of the Black Hawk Down scene a bit more:

I like what these settings do for shadow detail, and surprisingly the horses don't look too bad here. But it does cost quality with the white heads of the cows, and it seems to overall reduce contrast a little bit. So not sure how to judge these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broags View Post
A little more depth perhaps?: https://ibb.co/F0Cm40x
These look quite similar - but slightly improved - compared to Neo's first suggestion (see above). Your settings render the horses scene better, and seem to have ever so slightly more shadow detail and contrast. So good job! Neo's 2nd settings still have more shadow detail, though. But less contrast.

Edit: Fer15 sent me screenshots where Neo's first settings set (from above) looked fine with the horses. I assume it might have to do with real nits, dynamic tuning, maybe? Also I used the new option of the 101 build when comparing the settings, might also have played a role...
stevenjw and Manni01 like this.

Last edited by madshi; 10-18-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #6830 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Thanks, based on Neo's - always a good place to start.
post #6831 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a slightly updated test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure101.zip

Only change is a new option called "correct histogram width". This was suggested by Soulnight. It might make HSTM ever so slightly more accurate, from a scientific point of view. But the question is if this option ultimately improves the image quality or not? It does seem to make shadow detail slightly better but it also decreases pop/contrast a little bit. Thoughts?

Ideally I'd like to decide on this new option pretty quickly and then remove it again. So it would be great if you could double check, let me know your vote (use/don't use), so we can continue fine tuning the HSTM curve parameters. Thanks!
post #6832 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM

I like the 'correct histogram width' option.
Maybe with something like 50-75-87-100-100-100-100-125-150-200-200-200.
post #6833 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:

I don't get any bad flickering stopping me from testing any scene (yes, even the scene from The Shallow you reported).
These settings work very well and I don't get noticeable flickering either. Only difference for my settings when testing is the actually nits setting where I use 85. Not sure what Manni01 is seeing.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #6834 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broags View Post
I like the 'correct histogram width' option.
Maybe with something like 50-75-87-100-100-100-100-125-150-200-200-200.
Or try using your previous settings with a strength of 60. That makes your settings with "correct histogram width" look very similar to Neo's 2nd settings without the new option.
post #6835 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
These settings work very well and I don't get noticeable flickering either. Only difference for my settings when testing is the actually nits setting where I use 85. Not sure what Manni01 is seeing.
Don't worry, if you had the flicker I have on my screen, you'd see it too, it's not subtle

I have no idea why it's so intense here and clearly not in other set-ups using the same or similar settings, but I suggest we wait until madshi corrects the flickering. Hopefully it will be gone here too, otherwise we'll have to dig further.

post #6836 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Or try using your previous settings with a strength of 60. That makes your settings with "correct histogram width" look very similar to Neo's 2nd settings without the new option.
Yeah adjusting the strength was better. Will see what others think of the option in the morning.
post #6837 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Don't worry, if you had the flicker I have on my screen, you'd see it too, it's not subtle

I have no idea why it's so intense here and clearly not in other set-ups using the same or similar settings, but I suggest we wait until madshi corrects the flickering. Hopefully it will be gone here too, otherwise we'll have to dig further.
No worries and wasn't looking to single you out, only putting my vote in the not bad column. I haven't really noticed bad flickering with any release, but agreed that we can wait until madshi corrects it the best he can. Most every release is getting better, at least incrementally. I'm just grateful for all the work that he's put into this, as well as you and all the testers.

EDIT: And don't you know it, watched "Yesterday" tonight with the Mrs. and all the bright sky/cloud scenes had annoying flickering (v100). Still, the movie was enjoyable and there weren't too many of them.
Manni01 likes this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 10-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #6838 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 1827
I have just quickly tested v101 on the projector (dci-p3).

OT: (Such nice colors with build v101!! I am really rediscovering some scenes with a Wow effect. Kept saying to Anna: did you see that color! Did you see that red?! Did you see that gold?! ;-) )

This time I adjusted HSTM strength back to the 50% default.

Still love it. So does Anna.
It ALWAYS improves the picture and the worst it does is: "no change at all". :-)

With Anna we liked the "corrected histogram " slightly better because it provided more picture depth in some scenes. And in many scenes there was almost no difference to "not corrected".

What I like in the current hstm in that it seems to always do what's right:
- increase contrast in most scenes in guardian of the galaxy 2 or Planet Earth 2(city)
- or improve shadow details in the MEG (around the scene of thr little girl, more details in the dark hair and dark jacket).

@Manni01 I did try to let The Meg play. Intro scenes after the submarine does show some flicker in the sky. But many other scenes are basically flicker free.
Which is good news because it should make the smoothing easier.

Can't wait to use HTSM in real life. :-)
post #6839 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 231
My vote is to use the corrected HTSM. Very nice results and no degredation that I could see in my limited testing.

LG C8 OLED | Pioneer VSX-LX303 | HTPC (9900k, RTX 2070) | nVidia SHIELD 2019 | Panasonic UB820
post #6840 of 8118 Old 10-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is madVRhdrMeasure101 for to work with Players or something else? I use madVR v0.92.12 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dynamic tone mapping , hdr , madvr , sdr , ton mapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page