Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8402Likes

post #7411 of 8796 Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
@Soulnight - what setting is good to use for min compression limit for those of us with 45-50 peak nits?
Also, what is the limit for what is considered a low brightness projector? (e.g. I have 72 but could have as high as 93 if I was to go without a filter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 8796 Old 10-31-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 5741 Post(s)
Liked: 6197
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think the screenshot in Mori's last comment has 3 good ones. There may be more.

Yes. But I just found a little bug which will be fixed in the next build.
I tried the 3 curves in @*Mori* 's screenshot tonight: yours and Mori's and mine, which we should call @Neo-XP / @Fer15 Linear because I merely fine-tuned their efforts to my personal taste/needs. I just stuck to linear when they moved on to fancier curves but it's still mostly their work, so let's call it 80-L to dissociate it from me. I used the same settings as the last ones I posted except that I disabled dynamic clipping to take that out of the equation tonight.

I watched a variety of content in Lucy, Mad Max, Pacific Rim, The Meg, The Shallows.

Most of the time, I'd be happy with any of these curves. I find them fairly close.

However, when there is a more significant difference, for example in The Meg (control room) or Lucy (Morgan Freeman in his hotel room), I tend to prefer 80-L. More contrast, more depth and brighter. If I had the time I might try to slightly reduce the strength (gap between steps), but I really can't right now.

@*Mori* , I tried the shot you mentioned in Lucy with 80-L and a strength of 100, it's unwatchable, all the details in the hat go, so yes strength of 50 please and there would probably be other adjustments to make because I have 110 real nits (almost 50% more brightness than you), so a lot more headroom for highlights than you do at the same nominal brightness, which might also explain why I don't have an issue with shadow details either.

My curve/settings are tailored for my environment / peak brightness / taste, so I would only advise to use the settings I posted [EDIT: test setttings used in 109 attached] if you have around 110nits in a bat cave with a P3 projector and like a contrasty but not overcooked picture. Otherwise, there are probably better choices. I know that Neo has 150 nits and tonemaps to rec709, but madshi isn't sharing his details so I have no idea what they are tuned for. *Mori* has around 80nits, so fairly dim with limited headroom for highlights. Not sure if he tonemaps to rec709 or P3.

Overall, I feel like we're splitting hair. Apart from what they do in The Meg (control room), which I think is significantly worse here, or in Lucy (Freeman hotel) where I think they leave some performance on the table here, I don't have any objection with the other curves (strength of 50 for all). Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to do any extended testing, so not sure if The Meg is a one off or not, probably given the extreme way it's mastered. Lucy I could only see the difference in A/B, so not a big deal. I might prefer either of the other two if I was able to watch more content.

I leave it to you guys to pick the best curve. I trust everyone to make a good collective choice, and I'm confident I'll like the result if we can adjust the strength.

If anyone wants to provide precise timecodes where they think that 80-L with a 50 strength stinks, or where the others really shine compared to it, I'll take another look, but right now I won't lose any sleep over this.

@madshi , if you have a clear personal preference, go for it, there are enough settings to fine-tune and adjust to taste, and no option is bad. All of them make HSTM on clearly better than HSTM off, that's all that counts. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I've attached my setttings used when testing 109, I had disabled dynamic clipping but it should be fine to enable it up to 50 (no more). I had sky detection and shadow boost disabled because I didn't have the time to test these properly and in the past I didn't like their effect, but that doesn't mean they can't work with the proper parameters. I haven't had a chance to test the new shadow boost parameter either, which might solve some of the issues I had previoulsy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings 109.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	2635232  

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 11-01-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #7413 of 8796 Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Do you like it better than the other curves?

Yes. Being a Hill curve it is close to Mori's, but a little better from what I've seen so far.
-more detail
-little more refined highlights
-more balance in darker spots - at least in some places

Again not saying it's the one and I may be wrong, but I think the curve has promise (may need tuning of strength with range?).

I will try to make a more informative post later, not a good day for me.
madshi, carpantata and Manni01 like this.

`
curve_gen_and_analyse_1.2_compare : http://www.mediafire.com/file/6cxixx...pare.xlsx/file ( thanks to 3ll3d00d for the heavy lifting )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 8796 Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
2) Using "100% of the pixels" means that shadow boost is never *fully* active, because there will never be a case where shadow boost ist needed when all pixels are below 10 nits (because if all pixels are below 10 nits, then we use clipping instead of tone mapping). The problem with shadow boost never being fully active is that from an image quality point of view, we get better quality by using 100% of "low" shadow boost, than by using 50% of "medium" shadow boost. Both might have similar strength, but 100% of "low" will probably look better (I think). So I'd prefer a solution where for frames which have a relatively high amount of shadow detail, the selected shadow detail strength would be active with 100%.

What do you think?
I think you are right, I adapted my previous settings of 100% of pixels below 10 nits with "high" boost to 50% of pixels below 10 nits with "medium" and it looks better when shadow boost is needed.

Shadow detail strength seems to be fully active with the helicopter scene with these settings.

Knowing this, I will have to investigate further to see if I can find a better compromise, but this option is extremely useful!

Current settings:

post #7415 of 8796 Old 10-31-2019, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Long time lurker here as well - bat cave with NX7, 100 peak nits. Been using Neo-XP’s balanced numbers from 63-463 with 50% strength and really loving the picture. I cant pinpoint what it is that I like but its my favourite of the settings I have tried so far and looks the best to me in the widest variety of movies.

My biggest problem with the new builds is that my SDR movies now look completely flat and lifeless in comparison to the jaw dropping HDR. Great work guys, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7416 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, i have a problem with my setup:
i3 8100 with UHD630 intel graphics, Lav Filters 0.74.1, MPC-be 64
I've installed last MADVR HDR beta 108 (but have same problem with 92.17) but the two options "color tweaks for fire explosions..." and "highlight recovery strength" are always greyed out and not available.
Anybody have idea why ?
Sorry for my poor english.
Thanks
Luigi
post #7417 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by luipic View Post
Sorry, i have a problem with my setup:
i3 8100 with UHD630 intel graphics, Lav Filters 0.74.1, MPC-be 64
I've installed last MADVR HDR beta 108 (but have same problem with 92.17) but the two options "color tweaks for fire explosions..." and "highlight recovery strength" are always greyed out and not available.
Anybody have idea why ?
Sorry for my poor english.
Thanks
Luigi
Go to setting, under rendering, uncheck "compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy", and you should be good to go.BTW, this thread is dedicated to improving madVR HDR tone mapping , next time ask your questions in madVR player support thread.
post #7418 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 252
@Manni01 - could you post another screenshot of your most recent settings with the newest build? As a fellow JVC owner with a bat cave, your settings look great for my setup and I find them really helpful. I know you stated above you used the same settings as last time, but some old settings are back again and I want to make sure I’m good to go.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, Dual PSA v1512df Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.

Last edited by JonnyVee; 11-01-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #7419 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sorry not the detailed post I was intending to write (have an issue at the moment that makes it hard to be at the computer for long).

I have discovered something however: 'sky' is altering my preference, I had left it at width - 12, strength - 17 . So at the moment (needs more testing) I think I prefer @*Mori* settings with sky disabled - and the latest ones I posted with sky set to the mentioned settings.

edit: will also have to look at linear again - anybody tried playing with the other curves?
Manni01 likes this.

`
curve_gen_and_analyse_1.2_compare : http://www.mediafire.com/file/6cxixx...pare.xlsx/file ( thanks to 3ll3d00d for the heavy lifting )

Last edited by Broags; 11-01-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #7420 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
@Manni01 - could you post another screenshot of your most recent settings with the newest build? As a fellow JVC owner with a bat cave, your settings look great for my setup and I find them really helpful. I know you stated above you used the same settings as last time, but some old settings are back again and I want to make sure I’m good to go.
I've added my settings to my post above, with a note explaining why some of them were disabled. Let us know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broags View Post
Sorry not the detailed post I was intending to write (have an issue at the moment that makes it hard to be at the computer for long).

I have discovered something however: 'sky' is altering my preference, I had left it at width - 12, strength - 17 . So at the moment (needs more testing) I think I prefer @*Mori* settings with sky disabled - and the latest ones I posted with sky set to the mentioned settings.

edit: will also have to look at linear again - anybody tried playing with the other curves?
I did and so did @*Mori* (see our recent posts) though I wasn't able to look at Neo-XP's latest 63-L settings again. I hope I'll be able to do so at some point. Worth looking at. I also keep sky disabled until I have the time to investigate new settings for it, using the examples kindly provided by @Fer15 and the settings suggested recently by @Neo-XP . Just no time to dig into this at the moment, and it doesn't impact most of my test clips.

I hope your issue is nothing serious.
Broags likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 11-01-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #7421 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi guys, you're doing a fantastic job of testing. And Madshi anyway.

Unfortunately I don't get much time for testing anymore. So I can't contribute anything concrete.

But I would like to say one more thing. HSTM was and is the game changer for me. But it is partial and depending on the curve a little artificial and sometimes even outshined. Now I have set the strength down to e.g. 35. Believe with the good old Mori curve.

Nevertheless still good HSTM and everything much more natural.
What I want to say with it. Test the HSTM strength in addition to the curves.

The 50 strength is not carved in stone as I understood Madshi. Also the 109 is probably more designed to test this.
Many thanks to all the hard-working testers.

speedy
Broags likes this.
post #7422 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a jvc hd-350 video projector. The nits are around 50-60. What settings do you recommend me to enter? Do you give me some screenshots with settings for poorly lit video projectors? Thanks
post #7423 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

@*Mori* , I tried the shot you mentioned in Lucy with 80-L and a strength of 100, it's unwatchable, all the details in the hat go, so yes strength of 50 please and there would probably be other adjustments to make because I have 110 real nits (almost 50% more brightness than you), so a lot more headroom for highlights than you do at the same nominal brightness, which might also explain why I don't have an issue with shadow details either.

My curve/settings are tailored for my environment / peak brightness / taste, so I would only advise to use the settings I posted [EDIT: test setttings used in 109 attached] if you have around 110nits in a bat cave with a P3 projector and like a contrasty but not overcooked picture. Otherwise, there are probably better choices. I know that Neo has 150 nits and tonemaps to rec709, but madshi isn't sharing his details so I have no idea what they are tuned for. *Mori* has around 80nits, so fairly dim with limited headroom for highlights. Not sure if he tonemaps to rec709 or P3.

Overall, I feel like we're splitting hair. Apart from what they do in The Meg (control room), which I think is significantly worse here, or in Lucy (Freeman hotel) where I think they leave some performance on the table here, I don't have any objection with the other curves (strength of 50 for all). Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to do any extended testing, so not sure if The Meg is a one off or not, probably given the extreme way it's mastered. Lucy I could only see the difference in A/B, so not a big deal. I might prefer either of the other two if I was able to watch more content.
I think that the preference for one curve or the other is likely not very much related to the real target nits we have. When you split up the x-axis in 2 halves: 0.00-1.00 and 1.00-4.00 then your L80 is linear with an increase of 2.5 for both halves. For Madshis it is first 3.3 and then 1.4. So elements that are not so typical in the picture are emphasized. Therefore details are likely resolved nicely. For my original suggestion it is for the first half similar with 2.3 and then less with 1.6. Likely to give also good details without pronouncing contrast too much. So resulting in a natural picture. If my hypothesis is correct I plan to do something like 3.2 for the first half, and 1.7 for the second.

Personally I think we are 80% there for HSTM. The remaining 20% we are likely to never achieve for all content. I think that HSTM is also lot about personal preferences as usual.
SamuriHL, Manni01, Broags and 1 others like this.

Last edited by *Mori*; 11-01-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #7424 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
I think that the preference for one curve or the other is likely not very much related to the real target nits we have. When you split up the x-axis in 2 halves: 0.00-1.00 and 1.00-4.00 then your L80 is linear with an increase of 2.5 for both halves. For Madshis it is first 3.3 and then 1.4. So elements that are not so typical in the picture are emphasized. Therefore details are likely resolved nicely. For my original suggestion it is for the first half similar with 2.3 and then less with 1.6. Likely to give also good details without pronouncing contrast too much. So resulting in a natural picture. If my hypothesis is correct I plan to do something like 3.2 for the first half, and 1.7 for the second.

Personally I think we are 80% there for HSTM. The remaining 20% we are likely to never achieve for all content. I think that HSTM is also lot about personal preferences as usual.
I wasn't talking about the curves specifically, but about the settings in general. As I said, the curves themselves are fairly similar, at least here. However, the settings (strength, DT, and all the other settings) can make a huge difference, as you've seen when using a strength of 100 for a curve recommended for a strength of 50. This is why I made this general warning about settings

Personally, given the minute differences between the latest curves most of the time, I think we're 95% there for HSTM, and I don't really care about the last 5%...
Broags and catav like this.

post #7425 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 57
@madshi
With 109 I had to adapt white- and black clipping point (contrast/brigtness) massivly (with avs709 sdr test patterns), as the picture looked very unnatural and I clearly saw something is wrong. Is this something you are aware of?
I have to say I did not try any older hstm betas. Before 109 I used the last one which worked with measurement files. With the old one I had brightness and contrast almost at 0, now I have to use 8 for brightness and -17 for contrast.

Any one with similar "problems?
Soulnight likes this.

Epson EH-LS10000, madVR on GTX 1080, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-EU93, Toshiba HD E1, Dreambox 900 ultraHD, Xodiac masked, AT, 3m scope (2.40:1), Marantz SR7011
3x Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX, 6x Klipsch PRO-7800-S-THX (Dolby Atmos setup, 5.2.4)
2x Velodyne SC-600IW, Velodyne SC-602
Middle Atlantic Rack, RTI XP-6 control processor, RTI T2x remote, LUTRON Graphics Eye QS

Last edited by AmigoHD; 11-01-2019 at 10:12 AM.
post #7426 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have been beyond impressed with MadVR running on 2080, just a phenomenal piece of software. Now I am ready to get into MadVR tonemapping for my JVC X570 (RS420) projector and wanted to confirm JVC Picture Mode selection for MadVR tone-mapped video. I have JAVS curves in my Custom 2 and 3 but when MadVR does tone mapping I suspect I no longer need these Custom curves or JVC's factory HDR Picture Mode. What Picture mode settings do you guys use with MadVR on JVC, 2020, etc.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hardware_JVC-DLA-X55_menu1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2635316  
post #7427 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 357
People, read the title of this thread. This is not about anything except beta testing. There are other threads for all of these questions.

But, to answer your question, don't use any other tone mapping or curves with madvr. Madvr does it all
neo_2009 and mkohman like this.
post #7428 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Quoted: 2830 Post(s)
Liked: 4073
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
have you been able to get it to work with integrated graphics (in my case intel iris plus graphics 655)?

i've tried it with potplayer and mpc-hc, with hdr passthrough, fullscreen, windows hdr turned off.
What exactly is or isn't working for you? I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here.

Quote:
I tried the 3 curves in @*Mori* 's screenshot tonight: yours and Mori's and mine, which we should call @Neo-XP / @Fer15 Linear because I merely fine-tuned their efforts to my personal taste/needs. I just stuck to linear when they moved on to fancier curves but it's still mostly their work, so let's call it 80-L to dissociate it from me. I used the same settings as the last ones I posted except that I disabled dynamic clipping to take that out of the equation tonight.

I watched a variety of content in Lucy, Mad Max, Pacific Rim, The Meg, The Shallows.

Most of the time, I'd be happy with any of these curves. I find them fairly close.

However, when there is a more significant difference, for example in The Meg (control room) or Lucy (Morgan Freeman in his hotel room), I tend to prefer 80-L. More contrast, more depth and brighter. If I had the time I might try to slightly reduce the strength (gap between steps), but I really can't right now.
FWIW, Fer15 did some tests and suggests using a strength of 40 for my curve, compared to a strength of 50 when using the Mori curve, balances the "felt strength" of those two curves pretty well. He didn't test the 80-L curve, though.

Quote:
Good to hear you don't see such a big difference between the curves, anymore. I always thought that the difference wasn't that dramatic, but it can be much bigger in some special scenes compared to the majority of scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
I think you are right, I adapted my previous settings of 100% of pixels below 10 nits with "high" boost to 50% of pixels below 10 nits with "medium" and it looks better when shadow boost is needed.

Shadow detail strength seems to be fully active with the helicopter scene with these settings.

Knowing this, I will have to investigate further to see if I can find a better compromise, but this option is extremely useful!
Sounds good! FWIW, I'm considering changing the way the dynamic shadow option achieves less than 100%, to make it look more similar to choosing a lower shadow boost level. This should improve overall quality of the dynamic shadow boost. But I agree: The dynamic shadow boost feature seems to work pretty well, and might make the whole shadow boost usable. It was somewhat questionable without the new dynamic feature, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdok View Post
My biggest problem with the new builds is that my SDR movies now look completely flat and lifeless in comparison to the jaw dropping HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broags View Post

That's pretty interesting. FWIW, when testing my curve, I'd suggest to use a strength of 40, compared to using 50 for most other curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy7461 View Post
But I would like to say one more thing. HSTM was and is the game changer for me. But it is partial and depending on the curve a little artificial and sometimes even outshined. Now I have set the strength down to e.g. 35. Believe with the good old Mori curve.

Nevertheless still good HSTM and everything much more natural.
What I want to say with it. Test the HSTM strength in addition to the curves.

The 50 strength is not carved in stone as I understood Madshi. Also the 109 is probably more designed to test this.
I do plan to offer multiple strength settings in the "final" HSTM controls. It will not be as fine as a 5 step size, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braandon View Post
Hi, I have a jvc hd-350 video projector. The nits are around 50-60. What settings do you recommend me to enter? Do you give me some screenshots with settings for poorly lit video projectors? Thanks
Enter 55 nits for real nits. For the other settings, please try any of the settings suggested in the last 2-3 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post

Yeah, we just need to find one HSTM curve which hits a good balance everybody can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post
With 109 I had to adapt white- and black clipping point (contrast/brigtness) massivly (with avs709 sdr test patterns), as the picture looked very unnatural and I clearly saw something is wrong. Is this something you are aware of?
Nope. Maybe you're using a too high HSTM strength? Try using 50 or even lower. Or turn HSTM completely off, if you don't like what it does.
stevenjw, Manni01 and Broags like this.
post #7429 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Nope. Maybe you're using a too high HSTM strength? Try using 50 or even lower. Or turn HSTM completely off, if you don't like what it does.
I am using a strength of 50. Even with hstm off same behavior. btw: I like what it does :-) great work!
I just can't explain why I had to readjust my brightness and contrast that much with a new version... anyway. Once done the picture look awesome again.

Epson EH-LS10000, madVR on GTX 1080, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-EU93, Toshiba HD E1, Dreambox 900 ultraHD, Xodiac masked, AT, 3m scope (2.40:1), Marantz SR7011
Middle Atlantic Rack, RTI XP-6 control processor, RTI T2x remote, LUTRON Graphics Eye QS
post #7430 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post
I am using a strength of 50. Even with hstm off same behavior. btw: I like what it does :-) great work!
I just can't explain why I had to readjust my brightness and contrast that much with a new version... anyway. Once done the picture look awesome again.
Sounds like you're having a problem with your video levels. A change in the driver or the OS can cause this.

I haven't changed levels in madVR over any of the recent builds. There is no reason to go from 0,0 for brightness/contrast to the huge changes you're describing. Check your levels (GPU, madVR, projector). They have to match to produce the correct levels.
stevenjw likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 11-01-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #7431 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01
have you been able to get it to work with integrated graphics (in my case intel iris plus graphics 655)?

i've tried it with potplayer and mpc-hc, with hdr passthrough, fullscreen, windows hdr turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
What exactly is or isn't working for you? I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here.

thank you very much for your reply @madshi

i'm trying to get madvr to passthrough hdr to my 4k hdr oled tv when i play an hdr file using potplayer, mpc, vlc, etc., with windows set to sdr (hdr toggle off).

unfortunately i haven't been able to accomplish this, the only way i can get hdr to my display using a media player + madvr is to enable windows hdr.

with windows set to sdr and madvr set to passthrough, my tv doesn't detect an hdr signal - moreover ctrl+j shows, for example: display 59.93995hz.

if it turn on windows hdr my tv detects an hdr signal and ctrl+j shows, for example: display 59.93995hz (os hdr).

i've tried fullscreen and windowed.
post #7432 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's a limitation of the OS and the Intel GPU driver. I've tried to talk Microsoft into adding an API that would allow me to dynamically switch HDR on/off for a long time now, but they flat out refuse. Nvidia and AMD added private APIs that I can call to dynamically turn HDR on/off (behind the back of the OS!). But Intel didn't. So with Intel your only chance to get HDR passthrough is to manually enable the OS HDR switch.

That said, I got recently sent some (undocumented, hacky) code which may be able to switch the OS HDR switch on/off, so maybe that will allow madVR to dynamically switch HDR on/off for Intel users. But I won't have time to look into that for quite a while.

Anyway, this is out of topic in this thread. This thread is about improving madVR's tone mapping, it's not about HDR passthrough. So for follow-up please use one of the madVR support threads on AVSForum or doom9, thanks.
Manni01, neo_2009, KoKlusz and 2 others like this.
post #7433 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're having a problem with your video levels. A change in the driver or the OS can cause this.

I haven't changed levels in madVR over any of the recent builds. There is no reason to go from 0,0 for brtightness/contrast to the huge changes you're describing. Check your levels (GPU, madVR, projector). They have to match to produce the correct levels.

thank you. indeed the projector was in limited mode while the rest was in rgb full mode (gpu, madvr). don't know why it changed. but all is back to normal now. thanks, @Manni01

so: nothing wrong wuth the new madVR beta builds :-)
Manni01 and Neo-XP like this.

post #7434 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
People, read the title of this thread. This is not about anything except beta testing. There are other threads for all of these questions.

But, to answer your question, don't use any other tone mapping or curves with madvr. Madvr does it all
That's the problem - the thread title doesn't say it's only for beta testing. People see "madvr" in title and post their support questions.
Killroy and aeneas01 like this.
post #7435 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5555 Post(s)
Liked: 6010
Quote:
@madshi , if you have a clear personal preference, go for it, there are enough settings to fine-tune and adjust to taste, and no option is bad. All of them make HSTM on clearly better than HSTM off, that's all that counts. Keep up the good work!
Manni, hi I tested several of the recent HSTM recommendations last night and agree all of them show the advantages of HSTM on vs off. Our setup is similar with fully blacked out bat cave & high contrast JVC's. I am liking the 80L for the majority of the demo content I've been watching.

overall amazing progress! thank you to everyone on this thread who are contributing your time and feedback to make this the best DTM product on planet earth
post #7436 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
That's a limitation of the OS and the Intel GPU driver. I've tried to talk Microsoft into adding an API that would allow me to dynamically switch HDR on/off for a long time now, but they flat out refuse. Nvidia and AMD added private APIs that I can call to dynamically turn HDR on/off (behind the back of the OS!). But Intel didn't. So with Intel your only chance to get HDR passthrough is to manually enable the OS HDR switch.

That said, I got recently sent some (undocumented, hacky) code which may be able to switch the OS HDR switch on/off, so maybe that will allow madVR to dynamically switch HDR on/off for Intel users. But I won't have time to look into that for quite a while.

Anyway, this is out of topic in this thread. This thread is about improving madVR's tone mapping, it's not about HDR passthrough. So for follow-up please use one of the madVR support threads on AVSForum or doom9, thanks.

hey, thanks a ton for your reply, obviously very helpful for my sitch, i can now move on and look at other possibilities...
post #7437 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I am liking the 80L for the majority of the demo content I've been watching.
Can you say if you liked the 80L better than the other curves? Or are you not sure? I suppose you tested all on 50 strength? Thx.
post #7438 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5555 Post(s)
Liked: 6010
Quote:
Can you say if you liked the 80L better than the other curves? Or are you not sure? I suppose you tested all on 50 strength? Thx.
Hi, 50 strength for all the curves. I am still reviewing and will have more feedback soon.
madshi and Manni01 like this.
post #7439 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
I've added my settings to my post above, with a note explaining why some of them were disabled. Let us know what you think.
Thank you. Loaded up your settings and using 80-L at 50 (BT-2020 w/filter in high lamp on my JVC). Ran some short tests w/Pacific Rim, Lucy, & The Meg this afternoon... all looked great, especially Pacific Rim with the contrast and color.

Just watched Conjuring 2 in full (family movie night ), which is a darker movie. Looked really nice and contrast was good. But I’m currently watching Big Hero 6 and I’m finding the image a little underwhelming. Might just be the movie, but today, live action looks better than animation.
Manni01 likes this.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, Dual PSA v1512df Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
post #7440 of 8796 Old 11-01-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 190
My testing shows that Manni's setting are best overall. (L-80). The picture is more 3D'ish in depth and natural looking. Other settings I tried added too much contrast and looked unnatural at some point. Good job Manni!
Manni01 likes this.

Last edited by catav; 11-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dynamic tone mapping , hdr , madvr , sdr , ton mapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page