Improving Madvr HDR to SDR mapping for projector - Page 284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8184Likes

post #8491 of 8528 Old 01-06-2020, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am still trying to find out which "HDR vs Brightness" setting I prefer. Is there a way to make two mkv.measurement files so I can easily compare one with the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8528 Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi, can i usk you whats color output you are using on your GPU graphic card? Last weekend I was with a friend and tried to set on his HTPC MadVR, but we couldn't set up output on the projector output to 2020 only to 709.
post #8493 of 8528 Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Hi, can i usk you whats color output you are using on your GPU graphic card? Last weekend I was with a friend and tried to set on his HTPC MadVR, but we couldn't set up output on the projector output to 2020 only to 709.
Perhaps the issue is on the AV receiver end? You can select BT2020 on madvr with 10 bits at 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 (if it does accept it) on the gpu control pannel. Chroma upscale is always better from madvr than on the projector but with 4K sources you'll be hard pressed to see any diffrence.
riddle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8494 of 8528 Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaro View Post
Same here,
Same problem with madVR in 16-235 (Win10 64bit and GPU in Full RGB)
I use JRiver 64bit, with JRiver 32bit the problem is not there
is a problem appeared on the latest builds,
and I can't find the solution
Hey,dude,I'm not sure if you still have this 16-235 jump to 0-255 problem in 64 bit,I found a way to fix that,go to madvr zoom control and tick "automatically detect hard coded black bars",then tick "if black bars change pick one zoom factor",choose "... which doesn't lose any image content"
also,Disable fullscreen optimization may helpful,but I'm not sure,hope it's useful to you.
magicj1 likes this.
post #8495 of 8528 Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I have all the tone mapping and HSTM enabled on my GTX 1080 and I only turned downscaling to DXVA and chroma upscaling to bicubic and it’s running fine at 9-12ms.
Probably you/we use d3d11 native while the rest of the projector owners use dxva copyback + anamrphic stuff that is way slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
It looks like only pretty bad UHD movies are made in 59/60p (and only by Ang Lee apparently). ... My daughter, who is a huge Will Smith fan like myself, advised me NOT to watch Gemini Man when she saw it at the cinema...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gemini_man_2019 (looks like the audience liked that one a bit more though, haven't seen it yet so can't comment).
Off topic: so, I watched it yesterday and it was an amazing experience, 4k hdr fullscreen! Movements was a bit strange first but I got used to it quickly, mostly noticeable in the few action scenes. Actors were pretty good, amazing directing in the action scenes and I wasn't bored at all during the 2 hours.
I don't know how old your daughter is, but I wouldn't watch with mine (9 years old), but you, especially as a director, definitely have to watch it!

One more question popped in my mind: do you know how do they make 23p (BD) and 59p (UHD BD) content at the same time? Do they use some algo or shooting in 120/240fps? Thanks!

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #8496 of 8528 Old 01-07-2020, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 368 Post(s)
Quoted: 5717 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Off topic: so, I watched it yesterday and it was an amazing experience, 4k hdr fullscreen! Movements was a bit strange first but I got used to it quickly, mostly noticeable in the few action scenes. Actors were pretty good, amazing directing in the action scenes and I wasn't bored at all during the 2 hours.
I don't know how old your daughter is, but I wouldn't watch with mine (9 years old), but you, especially as a director, definitely have to watch it!

One more question popped in my mind: do you know how do they make 23p (BD) and 59p (UHD BD) content at the same time? Do they use some algo or shooting in 120/240fps? Thanks!
Definitely on my list, only waiting for it to be available as a rental. I made the mistake of buying Billy Lynn, so I'm not making it twice.

My daughter is 13, she just didn't like the film and we usually have quite a similar taste (she loves good action films), so I take her advice seriously

My understanding is that they have shot it in 120fps, but very few theatres were able to show it in 4K HDR 120fps. It was mostly shown in 4K HDR 60fps. 120fps to 24fps is easy, as you know.

I am looking forward to watching it, but my expectations are low. I don't like the look of HFR for film as much as Lee, Cameron and Jackson do, but I do like their work otherwise. Maybe it's an acquired taste

Let's close the OT for now
chros73 likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro
post #8497 of 8528 Old 01-09-2020, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Probably you/we use d3d11 native while the rest of the projector owners use dxva copyback + anamrphic stuff that is way slower.

I've watched Gemini Man in the cinema, 4K 120FPS 3d version, and I totally agree that HFR movie is future, but I think 120fps only is not enough, 120fps with 3d is perfect, like 1+1>2, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man is an experiment, Unfortunately, the experiment failed in a sense, like many other 3d movies before Avatar.
By the way, don't know which one will be born first, Avatar 2 or The Winds of Winter LONG LIVE ELDER MARTIN! AND HAIL CAMERON
12GAGE, chros73 and Salty01 like this.
post #8498 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I hate the jerk in the cinema with the outdated 24p technology.
I like HFR and i use FI for watching movies.

At SVP I found a workaround for madVR, because with SVP and Bluesky the HDR information disappears:

A workaround for MPC-HC + madVR: rename video file, insert ".hdr=on." tag somewhere in the middle. For example, "The.Movie.2019.mkv" -> "The.Movie.2019.hdr=on.mkv". Then madVR should do its job of switching display mode, etc.

SVP website : https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:4K_and_HDR

But that does not work, can I force madVR to use HDR ?

Greetings Bernd
nemoW likes this.

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
post #8499 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndFfm View Post

At SVP I found a workaround for madVR, because with SVP and Bluesky the HDR information disappears:

A workaround for MPC-HC + madVR: rename video file, insert ".hdr=on." tag somewhere in the middle. For example, "The.Movie.2019.mkv" -> "The.Movie.2019.hdr=on.mkv". Then madVR should do its job of switching display mode, etc.

Greetings Bernd
Not helping because I don't know the answer but I have another suggestion. Perhaps, trying to get used to watch 24p at real 24 fps again? I'm a high refresh rate junkie. I play my games at 144hz on pc, I'm kinda good at FPS and I find it slow (I would personally like it even more at 240hz). But frame interpolation from 24p content looks terrible in every possible way. Maybe you've spend too much time away from watching 24p content at 24p and need to rewire your brain to enjoy it again at the intended pace? There's a real magic in watching movies at 24 fps. It's like a succession of photos and the mind does the frame interpolation. It's kind of sad that you have grown at hate it. Have you even watched real 24p at 24fps? Or went from 24p at 60hz to frame interpolation without spending time with a display capable of true 24p?
post #8500 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I watch a lot 24p in the cinema and I did some testing with different FI systems. I like the FI of my JVC RS-500. The AMD Fluid Motion is a bit better, but does not work with HDR.

#Bernd

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
post #8501 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 395
HFR 3D is epic. I am in agreement 120fps is perfect for 3D. To be honest, I was more impressed with HFR 3D than 4K HDR. It is sad that consumer 3D is essentially dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwy View Post
I've watched Gemini Man in the cinema, 4K 120FPS 3d version, and I totally agree that HFR movie is future, but I think 120fps only is not enough, 120fps with 3d is perfect, like 1+1>2, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man is an experiment, Unfortunately, the experiment failed in a sense, like many other 3d movies before Avatar.
By the way, don't know which one will be born first, Avatar 2 or The Winds of Winter LONG LIVE ELDER MARTIN! AND HAIL CAMERON
post #8502 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
My understanding is that they have shot it in 120fps, but very few theatres were able to show it in 4K HDR 120fps. It was mostly shown in 4K HDR 60fps. 120fps to 24fps is easy, as you know.
I don't think it's that easy.

When you shoot 24fps movies, you usually use a shutter speed of 1/50 to get motion blur.

If you shoot in 120fps, yon don't get any motion blur. So even if you keep only 1 frame every 5 frames to get 24fps, you will end up with a succession of very sharp pictures with no motion blur at all. It would be unwatchable.

My guess is that, for 24p screenings (and 1080p standard bluray), they added motion blur in post.
((( atom ))) and chros73 like this.
post #8503 of 8528 Old 01-11-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Greetings Bernd
I don't know if this is the right thread for this discussion, maybe move it over to the support thread.
But it does work, tested with SVP and DRender. On SVP the notification that it's in SVP, the profile and refresh rate are in black and white, but HDR and motion interpolation works. It's very resource intensive.

You can actually do that right now already by using file name tagging. E.g. if you add "hdr=on" or "transfer=hdr" to the video file name, madVR should switch into HDR mode, even if ffdshow raw is in the chain.
post #8504 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quoted: 2787 Post(s)
Liked: 4001
So I'm back. Happy New Year everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
@madshi - Could you please add an experimental option to madVR which passes the frame's measured peak luminance as HDR metadata (MDL=maxCLL) instead of the stream's static metadata as a sort of fake HDR10+ (dynamic metadata) mode?
You mean you want madVR to adjust the metadata frame-by-frame to the measured luminance of each frame? To be honest, I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm setting HDR metadata via private Nvidia/AMD APIs and there's no proper method to synchronize a metadata change to one specific frame. So if I change the metadata, I can't say for sure with which frame it gets updated exactly. So I don't think it's technically possible for me to implement this atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKlusz View Post
@madshi, would it be possible to have subtitles brightness caped at 100 nits? I'm obliviously not talking about hard-coded subs. Or is it beyond madVR control?
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dush View Post
I've tried with my C6 and mapped shortcut keys to MadVR so that I get a profile with passthrough vs madvr tone mapped. I actually preferred the C6's own in most cases - that's in a pitch black viewing environment. I suspect if you're after daytime viewing though - MadVR will be way better.
In which way did you prefer the C6? I assume you were using a recent madVR build and you configured it correctly (e.g. disabled the HDR related "trade quality" options)? Did you configure madVR to "output video in HDR format"? Setting up madVR to produce the best results with LG OLEDs is not easy because LG OLED's like to switch to a darker mode when receiving SDR images - which is of course then not a fair comparison.

Quote:
We wanted to test the 112b beta on a JVC Z1 laser beamer with AMD Fluid Motion frame interpolation.

Unfortunately the Blusky Frame Converter or the ne AMD driver does not support BT.2020 anymore. So madvr shows REC.709. Is there a way to force madvr to recognize BT.2020 ?
You can use file name tagging like "movie [hdr=on, matrix=2020, primaries=2020].mkv", if that helps?

Quote:
First the picture was much too dark, many details were swallowed up. "Dynamic target nits" had to be set to "off", then it was OK.
IMHO that's not a good setup. E.g. try the UHD HDR Benchmark demo movie, or the USA encoding of "The Meg" to see why.

Generally, it's recommend that you enter the true measured nits value into the "real display peak nits" control, and then enable "dynamic target nits" and set dynamic tuning (the edit control after the dynamic target nits checkbox) to a suitable value, e.g. 50 if you like it bright.

I assume that your N5 didn't really produce 100 nits and your X7000 didn't really produce 200 nits and that might be the reason why the image was too dark?

Quote:
I have to say: The 112b is awesome !!!!
Such an increase to 40 with measurement is incredible. I myself will now look high with NeoXP 1.0. For others, L80 or Mirror may make sense.

Aquaman at 1:01:00 with NeoXP I thought the actor is coming out off the screen !!!
Glad you like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
All of our guests were really impressed, several thought I got a new projector which is a great compliment to @madshi and everyone here who helped get it to it's current state. Thank you!!
Hehe, love to hear that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
Wouldn’t it be prudent to have a lower level screen (maybe) under HDR tab for inputting “User-Defined” HSTM curves.
No, sorry. I want to make the settings less complicated, not more. In 6 months from now, nobody is going to design custom HSTM curves, anymore, even if the controls were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezarL View Post
DT appears to be capped at 500.
While I know this won't be a problem for projector owners, shouldn't it allow higher values for panel owners?
From what I've seen in screenshots over the last 15 pages or so, people tend to set the DT value close or equal to that of "real nits", but that won't be possible for those of us using RN values of 700 or higher.
If you set DT very high, in most cases you will run into the various limiters. So there is no big difference (if any at all) between e.g. 250 and 500 for most movie scenes.

I'm not sure where people get the idea from to set the DT value to their real nits. AFAIR, that was never recommended by me or Neo-XP or Soulnight or Manni01 or anyone else who users like to refer to for recommended settings. The recommend DT range is probably in the range 50-150. I don't think I would go higher, even for very bright displays. That said, I haven't really tested very bright displays, but still...

Quote:
2) What do M1 and M2 represent under "No scene change if..."?
These are 2 different metrics madVR uses to detect scene changes. We've discussed and analyzed them at (painful) length several months ago. These settings will probably disappear some time in the near future.

Quote:
3) DT: there were a couple of posts trying to explain this one, but I still don't quite get how it's supposed to be configured.
It's very simply a matter of taste control. I'd suggest 75 as a starting point, if you're not sure which value to choose. Then, if you find medium and high brightness scenes maybe a tad too dark overall, lower the DT value. If you find them maybe a tad too bright, increase the DT value.

Quote:
4) With a Panasonic FZ800 OLED, should I just forget the pixel shader tone mapping section exists and use standard HDR pass-through, leaving it to the TV to handle tone mapping?
I don't really have any experience with the Panasonic OLED, I'm not sure how it reacts when it receives either pre-processed HDR images, or fully tone mapped SDR images. I'd suggest you simply try which looks best to you. Try setting "output video in HDR format" off vs on, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Best picture for me is setting the nits to 25... is that weird?
Yes - unless your real nits really is that low? Have you ever measured it? Or unless you simply like it ultra bright. Which is not a crime. But you're giving up some HDR pop/contrast that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Also I can't seem to get the tone mapping via 3DLUT file to work... is that an inferior choice to pixel shaders, anyway?
Not sure why you can't get it to work, but yes, it's considered inferior these days, because by design it can only be static. And dynamic tone mapping is all the rage these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike shadow View Post
@madshi, If there is not much time or room for performance optimizing madVR+HSTM for 4k60 content (i don't know?), would an option for madVR which would handle 4k60 as 4k30 while saving about 50% of the processing power be a possibility?
Nah, I'd rather dial down tone mapping quality ever so slightly. But I hope there's still room for optimizations. Atm I'm only searching for the best quality. But sooner or later I'll also try to improve speed (without losing quality, of course).
post #8505 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll upload a new test build soon (not today, but hopefully in the next 1-2 days). Are there any fancy new HSTM curves I should include? For now, I'm planning to include those listed in this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58893810
Clark Burk, SamuriHL, xton and 9 others like this.
post #8506 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You mean you want madVR to adjust the metadata frame-by-frame to the measured luminance of each frame?
Yes.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm setting HDR metadata via private Nvidia/AMD APIs and there's no proper method to synchronize a metadata change to one specific frame. So if I change the metadata, I can't say for sure with which frame it gets updated exactly. So I don't think it's technically possible for me to implement this atm.
I am aware there is no guarantee on either sides (PC and TV) that this could work well (since the metadata is supposed to be 'static') but I see no indication why it couldn't work 'well enough' (potentially better than static data or the built-in dynamic mode). So, please consider adding it to test builds in case it's not much work.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #8507 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I am trying to figure out why enabling HTSM with 112B build really slows down the rendering on my setup. I have a GTX 2070 ... so not using a really low end card.

My render times are ~45ms in most cases ... e.g., when watching Avenger Endgame.

Disabling HTSM lets me get to sub 30ms ... but HTSM really slows it down.

Any suggestions on how to speed it up

Edit: If in LAVVideo decoder if I set the Hardware decoder to DXVA Native things speed up quite a big, but with DXVA Copyback they are quote slow. Is it okay to use DXVA Native? Or should I always use DXVA Copyback?

This is probably off topic, but the slowing bordering on unwatchable happens only with HTSM, I thought I would bring it up here.

Edit 2: Updating my Lav filter to 0.74 and setting hardware decoder to D3D11 fixed it. But not sure if that is the right decoder to use.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)

Last edited by tommarra; 01-16-2020 at 03:31 PM.
post #8508 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Edit 2: Updating my Lav filter to 0.74 and setting hardware decoder to D3D11 fixed it. But not sure if that is the right decoder to use.

Yes.
noob00224 likes this.

LG C8 OLED | Pioneer VSX-LX303 | HTPC (9900k, RTX 2070) | nVidia SHIELD 2019 | Panasonic UB820
post #8509 of 8528 Old 01-16-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yes.

Thank you.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #8510 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

In which way did you prefer the C6? I assume you were using a recent madVR build and you configured it correctly (e.g. disabled the HDR related "trade quality" options)? Did you configure madVR to "output video in HDR format"? Setting up madVR to produce the best results with LG OLEDs is not easy because LG OLED's like to switch to a darker mode when receiving SDR images - which is of course then not a fair comparison.
The LG tone mapped version had a much more saturated colour, but did lack detail. I was specifically looking at a lamp scene on the LG HDR demo. I had MadVR configured to output in HDR. That was a while back I tested though - and now there's options like desaturate etc. I guess with all the PJ development not much has been said about optimal settings for a flat panel.

Btw - I'm using MadVR successfully on a Dell 15.6" 4k OLED Laptop for tone mapping duties. It "only" has about 460 nits peak brightness so MadVR's a real treat on that. The internal GTX 1650 is meaty enough to do everything I need. Love your work
post #8511 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
What players most people use with Madvr?

Jriver is a mess, such itunes like mentality that is sad because it's the best player but it's a bloated mess.

Mpc-hc is ancient.

Mpc-hc be has lav filters problem.

Dsplayer is what I use for a more "netflix" like experience.

Anything else that works with Madvr?

Don't feel like getting this too off topic but really would like to know.

Kodi plus MPC-HC works like a charm. Have you tried it. In my setup I don’t have to use the keyboard ever for playback with properly configured Kodi that just invokes MPC-HC my Logitech Harmony and FLIRC work beautifully

I agree JRiver is very powerful but feels iTunish. Plus for some reason I couldn’t get out to use the test binaries that madshi posts on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8512 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dush View Post
The LG tone mapped version had a much more saturated colour, but did lack detail. I was specifically looking at a lamp scene on the LG HDR demo. I had MadVR configured to output in HDR. That was a while back I tested though - and now there's options like desaturate etc.
This lamp scene is a very tricky one (if it's the one I have in mind). The lamp wires are supposed to glow very bright *RED*. However, what most tone mapping implementations show you with this scene is yellow instead. Which means they show you an incorrect color hue. madVR is one of the very few tone mapping algorithms which actually give you the right hue. However, since these lamp wires are supposed to be very bright, madVR has to make a decision on how much saturation to use. There's the option to either show a very deep but rather dark red, or a desaturated but brighter pale red. In this specific scene it might look more natural to our eyes to use dark deep red, but there are other scenes where the loss of brightness looks really bad, so madVR compromises here by losing some saturation in exchange for higher brightness (and everything at the right red hue instead of yellow).

Generally, when judging tone mapping quality, it's a good idea to look at various different scenes to get a good overview. I have some scenes I use to test for hue drift, or loss of brightness or other problems. The thing is: Sometimes drifting hue or losing brightness (in exchange for more saturation) can look subjectively better - even though it's technically less accurate. But in other scenes it's the opposite and the technically accurate image looks much better. So it's difficult to judge overall quality correctly.
SamuriHL, Manni01 and Salty01 like this.
post #8513 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Welcome home Madshi.
Best wishes!
post #8514 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Will it be possible in the calibration tab to include "report BT.2020 to display" for the new amd RT5700xt cards?

I'm using the new vertex2 from hdfury to switch usermodes on my jvc n5b and i'm missing this possibility, because I changed my rtx2080 to the new amd rt5700xt when Nvidia gave up support for 3D frame packed playback
DDMU likes this.
post #8515 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unlike Nvidia, AMD does not have a private API to "report BT.2020 to display", AFAIK. Nvidia has a great set of private APIs ("NVAPI") which allows me to do all sorts of great stuff. AMD has a private API set, as well (ADL), but it's much less extensive than Nvidia's. But I hate Nvidia for dropping 3D support.
stevenjw, Manni01 and NoTechi like this.
post #8516 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Unlike Nvidia, AMD does not have a private API to "report BT.2020 to display", AFAIK. Nvidia has a great set of private APIs ("NVAPI") which allows me to do all sorts of great stuff. AMD has a private API set, as well (ADL), but it's much less extensive than Nvidia's. But I hate Nvidia for dropping 3D support.

I have partially solved the problem of using "command line to execute when this profile is activated" where I start a bat file on my hdr profile. But I can't get my profile to run another bat file "commandline to execute ..... is deactivated" what's the problem here?
post #8517 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespermart View Post
Quote:

I have partially solved the problem of using "command line to execute when this profile is activated" where I start a bat file on my hdr profile. But I can't get my profile to run another bat file "commandline to execute ..... is deactivated" what's the problem here?
This is not the thread for help questions---this thread is only for tonemapping improvements, unless madshi changes it's name!

Madshi, welcome back and happy new year! It seems all curve testing stopped about a month ago, between people waiting for you to respond and the flicker problem making it relatively hard to agree on some of the more intense curves (at least until the flicker is fixed)
post #8518 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespermart View Post
Hi, is this not the bug we're all discussing on the DOOM9 madvr thead at the moment where AMD's private API is outputting 709 instead of 2020, all NAVI based cards seem to have this issue, mainly 5700's problem is, no fix seems to be in sight so we are all using workarounds that are far from ideal, as this bug might be with us for a while I think we were hoping MADSHI could drop a switch in MADVR to force BT2020 where we could incorporate it into a profile.
DDMU likes this.
post #8519 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What does measured frame nits and tone map nits mean?

I am trying out the latest beta to use HSTM.
My am trying to tone map with a target of 75 real display peak nits. My goal is to get a very bright image, and can sacrifice dynamic range to achieve brightness.
So I am using 50 for dynamic target nits. And is outputting the video in SDR.

With these settings, I see the following nits values in the OSD.
measured frame 1820, tone map to 2108

Why is madVR trying to tone map to a higher value?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nits.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2671422  
post #8520 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The RX5700 will arrive shortly, I who use the HDR / SDR conversion and therefore in Rec709 will I have problems with this video card?

Fabio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dynamic tone mapping , hdr , madvr , sdr , ton mapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page