5 other things to consider when buying a projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By c.kingsley
  • 1 Post By ksdehoff

post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Unhappy 5 other things to consider when buying a projector

I've had two Sony projectors in my life and both have failed early and out of warranty and Sony's support was poor for both of them. I'm going to summarize the issues that you may want to consider before investing over $3000. My experience is based on a vw10ht, hw55es and over 30 calls (so far) to Sony. Also my experience is based on a panasonic ae900u that lasted more than twice as long as both sonys combined.

1. Technology
My Sony projectors had different problems but the first and most important issue is that the projectors dont have the ability to diagnose their own problems - no blinking error codes when the projectors failed. This made diagnosis nearly impossible and sony would not authorize warranty work repeatedly because of this.
2. Sony Call Center
Easily the most frustrating phone support system I have used. Plan on an hour to get through the 'wrong department' gauntlet when you call - even if calling back on an existing ticket
3. Sony Projector Tech Support
There are some really smart guys at the sony call center but I usually didn't get them. Tickets are 'sticky' to a particular support person - so if you dont like the support you are getting you need to open a new ticket. I was repeatedly told - oh if there are no blinking lights then there is nothing wrong with the projector - it must be your hdmi cable or source (it wasnt).
4. Repair Costs
Both projectors had to be sent in to their sole repair center in New York. My 2nd projector had an hdmi board input problem and was very intermittent. So intermittent that the repair center failed to find it the first time I sent it in to them - going back to issue #1 - but in the 2nd trip they found the problem. But for both projectors repair quotes were for more than the projector cost new! This is a decision Sony makes on parts cost- not the repair center.
5. Repair Quality
Sony decided that based on the repair cost, they would not actually repair my projector but would instead provide me an already-repaired projector - an hw65es instead of an hw55es - this killed my use of my free bulb, and cost me to switch from ir to bluetooth rf 3d. I was happy to have something though. But that repaired projector failed after 6 hours of use which threw me back into the sony support loop - with no blinking lights! Clearly they did not repair even the hw65es well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-25-2018, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
This is a good reason to buy on a credit card through a company that supports warranty extension, one example being American Express. These things are expensive so the warranty does matter. I wouldn't buy a projector with less than a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Even then, as you've seen, there can be difficulties and hazards in being made whole under the original warranty. I think they should offer choices when it comes down to repairing your original item versus giving you something else entirely or forcing someone else's "refurbished" unit.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
This is a good reason to buy on a credit card through a company that supports warranty extension, one example being American Express. These things are expensive so the warranty does matter. I wouldn't buy a projector with less than a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Even then, as you've seen, there can be difficulties and hazards in being made whole under the original warranty. I think they should offer choices when it comes down to repairing your original item versus giving you something else entirely or forcing someone else's "refurbished" unit.
So this has been a painful trip for me but as I said before - there are some great folks supporting the Sony projectors - its just a real challenge to get to them. After one team at Sony told me 'sorry nothing we can do' the projector support team is going to accomodate me one last time - thanks to them for doing the right thing. And the lesson for all of us is to be persistent (going on 3 months I've been debating my latest issue with various folks within Sony).
Mike Garrett likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I've been happy with the customer service and ease of getting replacements for Epson 5030s that developed issues within the warranty period (well, one of the three replacements arrived defective). I'm now out of warranty and my current, fourth unit is clearly on its last legs. Epson never again, and how they're still in the projector business is a complete mystery to me.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12502 Post(s)
Liked: 10127
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdehoff View Post
So this has been a painful trip for me but as I said before - there are some great folks supporting the Sony projectors - its just a real challenge to get to them. After one team at Sony told me 'sorry nothing we can do' the projector support team is going to accomodate me one last time - thanks to them for doing the right thing. And the lesson for all of us is to be persistent (going on 3 months I've been debating my latest issue with various folks within Sony).
Glad that Sony finally came through for you. Your persistence paid off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , support

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page