Any reason to wait for an upcoming projector? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #31 of 110 Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11991 Post(s)
Liked: 9502
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by docajay View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the reply and your Selling/buying theories.
I wish i would have applied this to my htc vive so i could a got the htc pro😖😳 cheaper. I usually buy slightly used and try to sell later but it seems selling sooner is better.
Now if everybody starts selling yearly, the marketplace will become saturated and prices will drop like a rock. But so far doing okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 03-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked: 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post
Does AVS still sell projectors?
AV Science Sales...still same company... still sells projector.
Craig Peer and Mike Garrett like this.
post #33 of 110 Old 03-30-2018, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I'm with Mike. I usually upgrade every year and a half. I loose out on 500$ or so, depending on the deal I got but I have connections now that I can get store cost on JVC or sonys (plus I'm in Canada). I think I may go with a Sony this time, only because the last 4 have been JVC's... but who knows.

I try to do that with a Porsche 911. Every year I do an upgrade to the newest model and change to a different color.

Just kidding, that could be expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
I try to do that with a Porsche 911. Every year I do an upgrade to the newest model and change to a different color.

Just kidding, that could be expensive.
Yep, unless you get a 20k discount for preordering and repeat customer.
post #35 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
I currently have a JVC RS40 projector. I was waiting for prices to lower and HDR technology to catch up on projectors. If I buy a projector it will most likely be in the $6-8k msrp range. Most likely a JVC or Sony brand.

Is there anything within the next year that will be worth waiting for?
HDMI 2.1 is the "next big thing" that is not included on any projectors (or any products for that matter) but likely would show up within the next year. From what I am reading by Spring of 2019 products should start showing up with 2.1 but since JVC and Sony usually come out with new projectors in August - September, it may not make it into the models showing up later this year. Not sure if anyone is hearing any rumors about whether JVC plans to implement HDMI 2.1 on their next projectors.

The current Sony 285 and 385 series do not have 18Gbps HDMI which causes banding in some material but usually only visible with 4k HDR gaming.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #36 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6705 Post(s)
Liked: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
HDMI 2.1 is the "next big thing" that is not included on any projectors (or any products for that matter) but likely would show up within the next year. From what I am reading by Spring of 2019 products should start showing up with 2.1 but since JVC and Sony usually come out with new projectors in August - September, it may not make it into the models showing up later this year. Not sure if anyone is hearing any rumors about whether JVC plans to implement HDMI 2.1 on their next projectors.

The current Sony 285 and 385 series do not have 18Gbps HDMI which causes banding in some material but usually only visible with 4k HDR gaming.
It seems to me that HDMI 2.1 is only going to be needed for some new higher bandwidth sources somewhere down the line. Considering 4K isn't even mature yet, I'll guess this is years away. So unless you are holding your breath for 8K or 10K sources, I can't see worrying about this - https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-i...-about-it-now/
post #37 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Man HDMI 2.1, that’s kinda useless for now in the projection world. We still have a lot of figuring out on 4K & projection, u can put 2.1 in a projector all ya want but that’s many years away from being remotely effective.
post #38 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Notice I said purchased at a preorder price. That can be several hundred below regular price. Then also notice I said people would most likely lose $300 to $500 selling. Also notice I said 9 to 10 months, not 12 months. If you wait 12 months, the new models are out and your selling price will be lower. I have known people that have done this successfully, for several years. Some years it works out better than others, but when you look at the numbers vs keeping several years until the old projector is completely worthless and buying new, you see that it is no worse, money wise.
On the one hand, this seems like a great idea. Being at the cutting edge of things would be cool. However, I think you'd only be seeing incremental increases in PQ (so maybe not as much of a wow factor when you get it), whereas having a projector for 5+ years and then buying a new one would most likely result in an astonishing increase in PQ, giving the sense of a true upgrade. Also, the thought of redoing my setup every nine months makes me nauseated. I think many here (myself included sometimes) spend more time tweaking their setups than actually sitting down to enjoy them.
post #39 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I went for the 640. Yeah, I can't believe it's 7 years since my last projector. I want those 7 years younger on me. Thanks.
post #40 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
On the one hand, this seems like a great idea. Being at the cutting edge of things would be cool. However, I think you'd only be seeing incremental increases in PQ (so maybe not as much of a wow factor when you get it), whereas having a projector for 5+ years and then buying a new one would most likely result in an astonishing increase in PQ, giving the sense of a true upgrade. Also, the thought of redoing my setup every nine months makes me nauseated. I think many here (myself included sometimes) spend more time tweaking their setups than actually sitting down to enjoy them.
I installed a mounting system that is on rails. I can move forward, back, right and left. I also keep a selection of drops. So it only takes me a few minutes to change out a projector. I keep a Sony plate and a JVC plate, since those two brands seem to be what I use. Yes, keeping five years will show a bigger jump, but I would hate to think, if I had purchased an RS4910 in 2015, that I would have to wait until 2020 to start getting into 4K HDR. I am also into audio side of HT. Really like object based audio and Atmos. I would have a hard time waiting five years, especially if it did not cost me any extra. I have already shown that a $500 loss per year, upgrading every year costs no more than keeping a 5K projector for five years and then replacing. If you were able to buy a projector on preorder for $300 to $500 below regular cost, then you can see the advantage of yearly upgrade.

As I said, if you were able to purchase a preorder saving $500 and you sold for a $300 loss ($800 below market compared to a new unit), in five years that is $1,500. I can guarantee you that a 5K projector will depreciate more than $1,500 in five years. Plus in the five year period, you probably bought a lamp or two. You also do not have to worry about any out of warranty repairs.
post #41 of 110 Old 04-01-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
I installed a mounting system that is on rails. I can move forward, back, right and left. I also keep a selection of drops. So it only takes me a few minutes to change out a projector. I keep a Sony plate and a JVC plate, since those two brands seem to be what I use. Yes, keeping five years will show a bigger jump, but I would hate to think, if I had purchased an RS4910 in 2015, that I would have to wait until 2020 to start getting into 4K HDR. I am also into audio side of HT. Really like object based audio and Atmos. I would have a hard time waiting five years, especially if it did not cost me any extra. I have already shown that a $500 loss per year, upgrading every year costs no more than keeping a 5K projector for five years and then replacing. If you were able to buy a projector on preorder for $300 to $500 below regular cost, then you can see the advantage of yearly upgrade.

As I said, if you were able to purchase a preorder saving $500 and you sold for a $300 loss ($800 below market compared to a new unit), in five years that is $1,500. I can guarantee you that a 5K projector will depreciate more than $1,500 in five years. Plus in the five year period, you probably bought a lamp or two. You also do not have to worry about any out of warranty repairs.
That's pretty sage advice. I'm also into the audio side and that's something that I didn't wait for and will generally stay on top of. Atmos is awesome. So these preorder deals you speak of...how does one capitalize on that? I may jump in to a new projector sooner than I thought...
post #42 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Quote:

That's pretty sage advice. I'm also into the audio side and that's something that I didn't wait for and will generally stay on top of. Atmos is awesome. So these preorder deals you speak of...how does one capitalize on that? I may jump in to a new projector sooner than I thought...
You email Mike

Last edited by ddgdl; 04-03-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #43 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I've often wondered how posters on here manage to change their projectors annually, but Mike's figures explain it...Here in the UK 'pre-order pricing' basically means retail and try selling a used projector even weeks after you bought it without losing something like 1/3 or more of the price. It just wouldn't work here unfortunately. JVC warranty isn't transferable to the second owner either (at least in the UK), so the second owner has to take the risk (which I have done, but it's quite galling to do that with a 40 hour projector). Maybe a dealer selling can find a way round that, but us private sellers can't/

When I bought my first JVC (RS10) I sold a Panasonic AE3000 within about 6 months of buying it and lost 1/3 the price. I was still glad I did this as I was never happy with the Panny, but it taught me that I should have spent a little more money and bought the JVC straight off. These days I buy ex-demo models, but Mike's model still won't work for me, so I'll be like DrunkPenguin and still rocking my X7500 when you're all talking about 8K and whatever else goes with that.
DavidK442 likes this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #44 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
I've often wondered how posters on here manage to change their projectors annually, but Mike's figures explain it...Here in the UK 'pre-order pricing' basically means retail and try selling a used projector even weeks after you bought it without losing something like 1/3 or more of the price. It just wouldn't work here unfortunately. JVC warranty isn't transferable to the second owner either (at least in the UK), so the second owner has to take the risk (which I have done, but it's quite galling to do that with a 40 hour projector). Maybe a dealer selling can find a way round that, but us private sellers can't/

When I bought my first JVC (RS10) I sold a Panasonic AE3000 within about 6 months of buying it and lost 1/3 the price. I was still glad I did this as I was never happy with the Panny, but it taught me that I should have spent a little more money and bought the JVC straight off. These days I buy ex-demo models, but Mike's model still won't work for me, so I'll be like DrunkPenguin and still rocking my X7500 when you're all talking about 8K and whatever else goes with that.
Yes Kelvin, I wrote something similar in post #20 .
Mike's model appears to work well in the US, but doesn't apply to the rest of the world. Pre order price in Australia is also generally max RRP.
But I agree with your theory of doing your research at the start and spending as much as you can possibly afford. Never had buyers remorse following that model.
Then I live with the purchase until there is a MAJOR upgrade.( 5 year minimum) 😁😁
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #45 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
Yes Kelvin, I wrote something similar in post #20 .
Mike's model appears to work well in the US, but doesn't apply to the rest of the world. Pre order price in Australia is also generally max RRP.
But I agree with your theory of doing your research at the start and spending as much as you can possibly afford. Never had buyers remorse following that model.
Then I live with the purchase until there is a MAJOR upgrade.( 5 year minimum) 😁😁
If you are paying full MSRP, then it is going to be harder to do. Also if you are waiting a full year, it is harder to do. Best if you can sell before the new models are shipping. The Panny never held it's value. That is because they generally made the same projector every year and just lowered the price.
post #46 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
If you are paying full MSRP, then it is going to be harder to do. Also if you are waiting a full year, it is harder to do. Best if you can sell before the new models are shipping. The Panny never held it's value. That is because they generally made the same projector every year and just lowered the price.
To be fair I've had similar drops on JVC projectors (I've owned the HD350/RS10, X35, X500 and now X7500) so they don't really hold their value over here either. The Panasonic was only 6 months old and still a current model at the time. The point being that it's hard to get much less than MSRP over here, especially for a newly launched model, which is why your model works but doesn't for us.

My approach now is to buy as the new model comes out, but to buy the previous version, hence I got a very low hours X7500 for less than a new X5900. I still would lose a chunk of what I paid last October if I tried to sell it now though, so it's more a comment on how our market is different from yours. That just means we have to really think about what we want to buy and how long it has to last (unless one can afford to throw money away of course).

I've seen so many posts on here about buying a new model every year and just assumed it was down to disposable income, so your post has clarified that for me, thanks.
IMDave and Mike Garrett like this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #47 of 110 Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
This. I'm still running my RS1 and (still) waiting for a true 4k projector with 18Gbps HDMI.
post #48 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post
This. I'm still running my RS1 and (still) waiting for a true 4k projector with 18Gbps HDMI.
Your wait is over. All you have to do is write a big check. RS4500, VW885 and VW5000.
post #49 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Ha... yeah you're right Mike. I should've added "for under $7k." Don't have WAF for those PJ $.
post #50 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:

I sure hope your right. If what your saying holds true, we should easily be able to sell our 540s/790s for 4k this summer. That seems a bit unrealistic to me, but again I hope your right.
post #51 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post
Ha... yeah you're right Mike. I should've added "for under $7k." Don't have WAF for those PJ $.
You just need a dealer with this service -

Tom Bley, ScottAvery, Toe and 3 others like this.
post #52 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I sure hope your right. If what your saying holds true, we should easily be able to sell our 540s/790s for 4k this summer. That seems a bit unrealistic to me, but again I hope your right.
It is unrealistic, based on quotes I got from ADs for new ones right now
Toe likes this.
post #53 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Yep, unless you get a 20k discount for preordering and repeat customer.
Or you can just become a dealer and get discounts that way. I hear high-end used car salesman get to have a lot of fun without even having to buy/sell for themselves.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".
post #54 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissand View Post
It is unrealistic, based on quotes I got from ADs for new ones right now
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't think JVCs resale value is quite as high as it was 5-6 years ago as well, but I'd love to be wrong.
post #55 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
I'd even do it, change projectors every year, the problem is the seller markets are ripe with fraud.
You are much more subject to fraud as a seller of an expensive electronic than a buyer, both on Ebay and Amazon.

I wouldn't worry about it being a buyer, you may have to jump through hoops to get your money back, but you will get it back.
As a seller you can lose the item and the money. It is much safer if you are a power seller or established, but it's risky to sell high-end electronics on Ebay or Amazon with a low volume acct.

All a buyer has to do is claim "item not as described", and not only are you paying shipping cost to get the item back, but it could come back gutted or not at all.
Probably safest way is selling it on the forum and using Pay Pal and an escrow, but even that isn't 100%, but probably better than selling it on Ebay at this point.

Now you know why there aren't all that many used JVC's sold on Ebay.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 04-03-2018 at 04:23 PM.
post #56 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
I installed a mounting system that is on rails. I can move forward, back, right and left. I also keep a selection of drops. So it only takes me a few minutes to change out a projector. I keep a Sony plate and a JVC plate, since those two brands seem to be what I use. Yes, keeping five years will show a bigger jump, but I would hate to think, if I had purchased an RS4910 in 2015, that I would have to wait until 2020 to start getting into 4K HDR.
Ha ha, that might exactly what I wind up doing. I'm still running my RS4910 and feeding it 4K BT.2020/SDR without a hitch. Some enterprising folks have come up with some tweaks and custom gamma curves that'll actually let the RS4910 accept an HDR signal and do a pretty good job of displaying it. I have 75" and 50" flat panels for "true" HDR and I doubt most current projectors will compete well HDR-wise with flat panel displays. So, I don't feel like I'm missing much by hanging on to the 4910 and honestly, I'm holding out for native 4K prices to drop before I swap it out. It's been a hell of a machine and it continues to do an admirable job of bridging the HD and UHD "worlds."
post #57 of 110 Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Ha ha, that might exactly what I wind up doing. I'm still running my RS4910 and feeding it 4K BT.2020/SDR without a hitch. Some enterprising folks have come up with some tweaks and custom gamma curves that'll actually let the RS4910 accept an HDR signal and do a pretty good job of displaying it. I have 75" and 50" flat panels for "true" HDR and I doubt most current projectors will compete well HDR-wise with flat panel displays. So, I don't feel like I'm missing much by hanging on to the 4910 and honestly, I'm holding out for native 4K prices to drop before I swap it out. It's been a hell of a machine and it continues to do an admirable job of bridging the HD and UHD "worlds."
My RS4500 at 47 foot lambert does. 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen ! Actual screen shot from GOTG2 4K Blu-ray.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 04-03-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #58 of 110 Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have any idea on when JVC will release news about new projectors. In the last few years they have released news twice a year(i.e. CES/Cedia), but nothing yet in 2018. Was hoping something would be released.
post #59 of 110 Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaicc View Post
Anyone have any idea on when JVC will release news about new projectors. In the last few years they have released news twice a year(i.e. CES/Cedia), but nothing yet in 2018. Was hoping something would be released.
Only once in the last 10 years have they released news of a new model at CES. So I would expect info to be released at CEDIA and shipping in December, which is their norm.

Added
I forgot about one. New model shipping in May, but not same type of projector.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-04-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #60 of 110 Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Only once in the last 10 years have they released news of a new model at CES. So I would expect info to be released at CEDIA and shipping in December, which is their norm.
Ah ok, thanks good to know. Ill wait patiently I suppose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page