Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help troubleshoot my JVC

Hi guys,

I've just returned from a 3 week holiday and had turned off the power to my JVC RS49 (X500) since I didn't have it hooked up to a surge protector.
When I got it up and running again, it automatically switched itself off after about 1-2mins and the amber light showed a 2 blink error.
Whatever I did (checking the filter, taking it down and running it without sources connected), I was unable to avoid the same scenario.
The PJ is 4 years old and I had only put 225 hours on the lamp so I initially didn't think this could be a lamp issue.

I got in touch with a JVC service center and wanted to take it in to get it checked out this weekend. In the meantime the PJ had just been sitting there on stdby and just before I loaded it up I decided to switch it on one last time. What do you know, it didn't throw the same fault any more and it happily stayed switched on.
The problem however is that on low lamp mode there is an unbearable flicker now. Switching to high lamp this problem goes away...

So obviously I do now think it is a lamp issue so I have a couple of questions:
- Can switching off the power really trigger this kind of problem with the lamp? Especially one with so few hours on it??
- Can I continue to watch on high lamp for a while longer while I order in a new lamp or am I at risk of blowing the lamp? Don't really fancy the prospect of having to clean out the entire interior if the lamp blows so better to just wait for a new lamp at that point.
- Any thoughts on why leaving it on stdby for a week has automatically 'fixed' the 2 amber blink shutdown?
- Most importantly though: could it still be something other than the lamp? Hate to shell out the $$$ for the lamp only to find that a new one would have the same issue. I don't really plan on keeping this PJ beyond 2019 anyway (especially if JVC would come out with a laser-based model) so don't want to have 2 perfectly good lamps for a PJ that I would replace soonish.

Thx in advance for the assist guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukkae View Post
Hi guys,

I've just returned from a 3 week holiday and had turned off the power to my JVC RS49 (X500) since I didn't have it hooked up to a surge protector.
When I got it up and running again, it automatically switched itself off after about 1-2mins and the amber light showed a 2 blink error.
Whatever I did (checking the filter, taking it down and running it without sources connected), I was unable to avoid the same scenario.
The PJ is 4 years old and I had only put 225 hours on the lamp so I initially didn't think this could be a lamp issue.

I got in touch with a JVC service center and wanted to take it in to get it checked out this weekend. In the meantime the PJ had just been sitting there on stdby and just before I loaded it up I decided to switch it on one last time. What do you know, it didn't throw the same fault any more and it happily stayed switched on.
The problem however is that on low lamp mode there is an unbearable flicker now. Switching to high lamp this problem goes away...

So obviously I do now think it is a lamp issue so I have a couple of questions:
- Can switching off the power really trigger this kind of problem with the lamp? Especially one with so few hours on it??
- Can I continue to watch on high lamp for a while longer while I order in a new lamp or am I at risk of blowing the lamp? Don't really fancy the prospect of having to clean out the entire interior if the lamp blows so better to just wait for a new lamp at that point.
- Any thoughts on why leaving it on stdby for a week has automatically 'fixed' the 2 amber blink shutdown?
- Most importantly though: could it still be something other than the lamp? Hate to shell out the $$$ for the lamp only to find that a new one would have the same issue. I don't really plan on keeping this PJ beyond 2019 anyway (especially if JVC would come out with a laser-based model) so don't want to have 2 perfectly good lamps for a PJ that I would replace soonish.

Thx in advance for the assist guys!!
Hello OP, I am currently experiencing the same exact issues as you had described above. Did you happen to find out what was wrong with it? I would hate to spend $$$ on a new lamp just to find out it was something else.

Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi,

you guys should check this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...t-flutter.html

Post #4 :
«You most likely have some uneven burn on the lamps tungsten electrode gap witch will cause the lamp to have some flicker/flutter. This is not necessarily unusual.

The lamps tungsten electrode gap is set at relatively precise distance. Variation of the distance or shape of the electrodes can result in the arc "dancing" between the two electrodes which will give you the flicker/flutter.

The lamp has a naturally accruing regenerative cycle where by a chemical transport processes which occurs in the lamp plasma during the lamp burn, will redeposit tungsten atoms back to the lamp electrodes in a regenerative manner. This regenerative cycle works best with the lamp operating at a higher temperature or your "standard" mode.

I would suggest that you run the projector for a few days on your "standard" mode to allow the electrode gap to "heal" itself. It could take more than a few days. I suffered with one for 2-3 weeks before it fully stabilized. You also might consider always starting the projector in the "standard" mode allowing it to "warm up" before you switch it to low mode in the future.

Try to minimize the number of times you turn the lamp on/off in a day as the voltage surge striking the arc is harder on the lamp than its actual operation. Long lamp life requires electrodes with a very stable shape and good lamp maintenance. How you use the lamp will help maintain the electrodes.

If the lamp does not stabilize after sometime or you find it too annoying, your only recourse is to replace the lamp.»
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page