Used JVC X790R for $3k, is that good? And what to look for when buying used? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 55 Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6794
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 2269
Reminder that street prices and where to buy are limited to the deals forum. I haven't gone through the entire thread...but (just in case) please do not post ebay, craigslist or classified links...offers to buy or sell are limited to the classified forums.

Thanks
post #33 of 55 Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you don't buy this please send the guy my way.
I'll buy it.
Let me know here and I will PM you my number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
If you don't buy this please send the guy my way.
I'll buy it.
Let me know here and I will PM you my number.

It’s taking a turn for the worse. I asked him to call me and he hasn't.

I also asked him if we could meet in a police station lobby and he doesn't want to.

Its looking like a possible scam or the projector has problems.

Its odd. He seems to know about the projector and has a local number, but is acting odd. I think he may be foreign

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 06-23-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #35 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreynmandy View Post

I also asked him if we could meet in a police station lobby and he doesn't want to.

Its odd. He seems to know about the projector and has a local number, but is acting odd. I think he may be foreign
I’d forget the whole thing, there are good deals on jvc both new and b stock to be had, I think a couple posts back someone told you where look, but pm if not.
post #36 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:

There are many sellers, that do up-grade, and try to sell their use equipment for cheap.
That said, not wanting to meet you in a Police lobby, do smell like a potential scam.

I sure know that I would not have problem with that, as a seller.
And meet a potential buyer, in a safe place for myself and the buyer.

Never thought of that one, what I great idea
Will use that one soon.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-23-2018 at 08:07 PM.
post #37 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 3496
Quote:

Dude I wouldn’t call you either. You should be able to ask all your questions in email. Doesn’t require a phone call. I also wouldn’t bother meeting in a police station. I’d have you come to my house and if that wasn’t working for you I’d probably have to find someone easier to deal with. Doubt it’s a scam.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #38 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Dude I wouldn’t call you either. You should be able to ask all your questions in email. Doesn’t require a phone call. I also wouldn’t bother meeting in a police station. I’d have you come to my house and if that wasn’t working for you I’d probably have to find someone easier to deal with. Doubt it’s a scam.

Have you ever met someone from Craigslist, that you have never spoken with, and have $3,000+ cash in your pocket? Please don't ever do that. I asked to meet at his house, his excuse was his wife doesn't want strangers in the house.

That's believable, but when you want to move the sale away from your home and your not ok with a police station, then that's a Red flag. I even offered to meet at a public place to discuss the projector, and after meeting in public then go to his house to see it work.

No offense, but you either haven't made a large craigslist transaction or you are very naive. This isn't my first rodeo, and I wouldn't dare meet someone with $3,000 without talking to them on the phone first. People use fake identities online Every day.

When a price reaches the too good to be true category, you take every precaution you can.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 06-23-2018 at 08:31 PM.
post #39 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you ever met someone from Craigslist, that you have never spoken with, and have $3,000+ cash in your pocket? Please don't ever do that. I asked to meet at his house, his excuse was his wife doesn't want strangers in the house.

That's believable, but when you want to move the sale away from your home and your not ok with a police station, then that's a Red flag. I even offered to meet at a public place to discuss the projector, and after meeting in public then go to his house to see it work.

No offense, but you either haven't made a large craigslist transaction or you are very naive. This isn't my first rodeo, and I wouldn't dare meet someone with $3,000 without talking to them on the phone first. People use fake identities online Every day.

When a price reaches the too good to be true category, you take every precaution you can.
Use to buy / sell pinballs often. This is done with cash $3000-$6000 is common. You always want to bring enough in case the seller has more machines when you arrive. You usually show up with $10k-$15k in your pocket. When I bought my Jeep, I showed up at midnight with $20500 in cash to count on the table. If anyone wants to buy something and can’t come here with cash in hand or needs a bunch of phone calls then I am unable to deal with that person. There are reasonable buyers so no need to deal with that. I’d fit sure be out on meeting at a police station if anywhere for that matter.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #40 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
There are many sellers, that do up-grade, and try to sell their use equipment for cheap.
That said, not wanting to meet you in a Police lobby, do smell like a potential scam.

I sure know that I would not have problem with that, as a seller.
And meet a potential buyer, in a safe place for myself and the buyer.

Never thought of that one, what I great idea
Will use that one soon.

Ray

People get robbed all the time over craigslist deals. Not too far from here An older man was killed going to buy what he thought was a classic car. It turned out there never even was a car.

Depending on where you live, people will kill you for $30, much less $3,000. That's why the guy is having trouble selling it.

Police stations are setting up safe trade stations now.

http://www.safetradestations.com

So what if you offend a stranger requesting to meet at the police station. It could save your life.

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 06-23-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #41 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Use to buy / sell pinballs often. This is done with cash $3000-$6000 is common. You always want to bring enough in case the seller has more machines when you arrive. You usually show up with $10k-$15k in your pocket. When I bought my Jeep, I showed up at midnight with $20500 in cash to count on the table. If anyone wants to buy something and can’t come here with cash in hand or needs a bunch of phone calls then I am unable to deal with that person. There are reasonable buyers so no need to deal with that. I’d fit sure be out on meeting at a police station if anywhere for that matter.

How many years ago was this? If you really do that for craigslist deals, then I don't know what to tell you. I'll leave it at that.

You really should read this
https://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/cr...ges/index.html
post #42 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How many years ago was this? If you really do that for craigslist deals, then I don't know what to tell you. I'll leave it at that.

You really should read this
https://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/cr...ges/index.html
I can’t worry about what happens in Georgia. Anyways, yea every couple weeks for the last several years. Bought my Jeep last summer.

post #43 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can’t worry about what happens in Georgia. Anyways, yea every couple weeks for the last several years. Bought my Jeep last summer.
Somethings just not adding up to me. So your telling me, you took $20,500 cash to buy a jeep at midnight, after only corresponding through email. You didn't meet earlier to look at it, or have phone conversations about the jeep?

And you carry $20,000 cash to look at equipment with only an address and back and forth emails? You never speak to anyone?

If so, That's the reason criminals and scammers exist.
post #44 of 55 Old 06-23-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Somethings just not adding up to me. So your telling me, you took $20,500 cash to buy a jeep at midnight, after only corresponding through email. You didn't meet earlier to look at it, or have phone conversations about the jeep?

And you carry $20,000 cash to look at equipment with only an address and back and forth emails? You never speak to anyone?

If so, That's the reason criminals and scammers exist.
Yea if you go to buy a pinball and there are 3 more there you can usually make a great package deal and it only works if you lay the cash out. Any sort of "I'll come back" only results in some sort of "Let me think about it etc". There can be a lot of $$ made on these types of deals. Pinball deals are always cash deals and first come first server. I both buy and sell and there's never any sort of paranoia like "Where should we meet?" Besides, with something like that, you'd need to go to the person's place and see it in operation. They're 250-400 pounds.

This type of transaction has influenced how I deal with all my home theater gear both buying and selling on craigslist and anything else for that matter. I don't have time or interest in a bunch of phone calls to satisfy someone's paranoia and then have to go drive somewhere to sell something. If you want something I'm selling, email in and ask your questions, ask for photos etc. If you want it come here with *cash* and get it. That's all there is to it.

Yea the truck had a VIN listed and a good ad with photos. I ran a carfax. I asked a lot of questions in email. Then it was like 10pm and I headed out there, but it was an hour away. I brought a friend this time. By the time I was done looking and test driving, we were in the house just after midnight as I was counting $100's on his kitchen table. It was a riot.

post #45 of 55 Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
People get robbed all the time over craigslist deals. Not too far from here An older man was killed going to buy what he thought was a classic car. It turned out there never even was a car.

Depending on where you live, people will kill you for $30, much less $3,000. That's why the guy is having trouble selling it.

So what if you offend a stranger requesting to meet at the police station. It could save your life.

It is, a sad word we live in now a day.

In my days, we did respect our elder, not now a day.

Ray
post #46 of 55 Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well it ended up working out. He told me he understood about meeting in a safe location. I ended up getting it for $2500. I also bought a Sony x800 4k Blu ray player for $140.

I met him at a McDonald's and plugged it in there. The one that said he may upgrade gear alot was right. He went to a 77" oled.

It looks like I'm on a long expensive adventure of building a theater room.
post #47 of 55 Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Well it ended up working out. He told me he understood about meeting in a safe location. I ended up getting it for $2500. I also bought a Sony x800 4k Blu ray player for $140.

I met him at a McDonald's and plugged it in there. The one that said he may upgrade gear alot was right. He went to a 77" oled.

It looks like I'm on a long expensive adventure of building a theater room.
This sounds fishy to me.

Whatever though.
post #48 of 55 Old 07-02-2018, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
This sounds fishy to me.

Whatever though.

I felt the same way until I talked to him. Once I got him on the phone I felt more comfortable.

That's why I met him at McDonald's. I plugged it in and projected on the wall in there. We talked about an hour and went through the settings and other stuff. He also gave me the copy of the bestbuy magnolia receipt. He even had his daughter with him.

Im dealing with a different class of people with this stuff. I'm more middle class and not wealthy enough to afford this kind of item at regular price. He went from a epson 5040, to the jvc, then to a oled 77" in just a few years. He said he upgrades every year.

It was weird though he Was kinda offended that I wanted to meet at the police station, even though his wife didn't want Craigslist buyers to come in their home. He said he's never had any problems with buyers and always meets at bestbuy.

He is from Ireland and came here on 92 on a tennis scholarship. I kinda figured he was foreign but I never would have guessed Ireland.

I stayed on this deal for a weeks and it payed off. If he had listed it on here instead of craigslist, he could have gotten more money. But I don't think he has money problems.

99% of the time stuff like this is a scam, but every once in a while you can get lucky and catch a deal.

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 07-02-2018 at 02:56 AM.
post #49 of 55 Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Industry Insider

Quote:

I do craig lists deals sometime's on the used goods I have, There are risks walking out of your front door, you could get struck by a meteor
markmon1 likes this.
post #50 of 55 Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
I gotcha, I just didn't know if it was like computers were a few years ago, outdated before you got it ip and running.

I don't know about projectors, but it seems like computer processors are hitting sort of a wall right now. They are having trouble shrinking the chips further and further it seems. If anything hard drives and memory are increasing in price too.

Maybe the projectors are in a similar predicament. You can only get so small before you start getting microscopic, and hitting the laws of physics.

But I'm not smart enough to know these things.
The market for projectors is so relatively small, that advancements just don't happen very quickly.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #51 of 55 Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
The market for projectors is so relatively small, that advancements just don't happen very quickly.

I hope so. Now that I have a nice projector I don't want to upgrade for a long time. I'd be sick if there's true 4K laser projectors for $2k in the next few years.

But from the way it sounds it will be a very long time before they reach those prices for a laser Sony or jvc 4K.
post #52 of 55 Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope so. Now that I have a nice projector I don't want to upgrade for a long time. I'd be sick if there's true 4K laser projectors for $2k in the next few years.

But from the way it sounds it will be a very long time before they reach those prices for a laser Sony or jvc 4K.
As they have only just got as low as 15k in UK, it will be a few years at least.
But by which time, other innovative tech may well have rendered projection obsolete for big screens, or at the very least have driven projector prices right down to bargain levels as the method of projection becomes the poor mans way of getting a huge screen.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #53 of 55 Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't even matter. Your JVC you just bought has better blacks and contrast ratio than JVC's $35k laser rs4500. Just because something comes out doesn't mean you'll need to upgrade to it. Depending on your screen size and seating distance, you may not benefit from native 4K at all anyway. If you're say sitting 15 feet from a 120" screen don't even bother. I predict if JVC releases a native 4K panel, its contrast wont come close to what we have today. They may throw a laser in the current eshift models, and it feels like the contrast should be similar then but who knows what price point those will be. They won't be at $2k for many more years.
Archibald1 likes this.

post #54 of 55 Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Industry Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
These projectors today, smoke projectors from 5 -10 years ago, that's for sure.....Year to year, does not seem like much sometimes....
post #55 of 55 Old 07-06-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
These projectors today, smoke projectors from 5 -10 years ago, that's for sure.....Year to year, does not seem like much sometimes....
Indeed they do, I just meant that the 4K panels seem to be at the stage the 1080 ones were 10-12 years ago, although still incorporating all improvements thus far.

Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page