AVS Forum banner

NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread

1M views 14K replies 492 participants last post by  Drem 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

This thread relates to the upcoming launch by JVC of a new range of Native 4K D-ILA projectors , which are to be announced and on demo at IFA 2018 in Berlin and CEDIA 2018 in San Diego

Initial indicative information (yet to be definitively confirmed) as per follows:

• Native 4K

• Lamp-based (not laser)

• To replace the existing eShift range of JVC projectors

• Completely new projectors; with new lenses and new chassis

• New flagship projector model to replace RS640/X9900 might be eShift 8K

So, it's going to be a case of either JVC being the first to achieve very high contrast performance with native 4K, which would be amazing; or the comparative contrast performance is going to be significantly worse, meaning JVC will lose their primary USP, which would be very disappointing indeed. Personally I am hoping to be amazed and not disappointed... ;)

Here's a teaser trailer is for the new range:

Here's a better glimpse of the new projectors:

Thoughts?

:smile:

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
My thoughts are that the 4K panel JVC has is what's in the RS4500 today. New and better panels will be released in the flagship projector then trickle down to the more affordable units later - not the other way around. So, we know the contrast numbers. It's the RS4500's panel with a 2615 lamp. They'll use the same dual dynamic iris system they have today and try to get some better dimming, but it's going to be probably worse than what Sony has available today.

As JVC improves its panels, this will come over time and will either be released in a new flagship model or released simultaneously with a new flagship model and new lower line using a better contrast panel. I don't believe we will see any high contrast panel that leaves the RS4500 panel in the dust.

Hope I'm wrong. If the 4K lamp based units do have contrast similar to my RS640 I'll buy it right away. Otherwise, I'll be keeping my RS640 for years to come and probably be one of the last home theater enthusiasts that has a theater that can actually display the color black.

Those are my thoughts :)

#9 ·
I have a feeling that we will find that the native ON/OFF contrast is increased as compared with the JVC RS4500/Z1. JVC's technicians indicated last year that there were/are numerous methods by which they could increase the native ON/OFF contrast performance with respect to the JVC RS4500/Z1. That said, the magnitude of the increase is unknown.

Furthermore, unless JVC has made a breakthrough with respect to sigificantly increasing native ON/OFF contrast performance with native 4K this won't be as high as the RS640.

The 64 million dollar question is: will the peak ON/OFF contrast performance be higher or lower as compared with the SONY 550/675ES? :)

Either way, I don't think any of these questions will be easily answered at IFA or CEDIA because the projectors marketing information is guaranteed to state next to 'Contrast' performance: "∞:1" :rolleyes:

So, as per usual, we will only know what's what in this regard when someone like me takes some proper measurements ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Im taking this thread straight off topic as revenge....What about those African swallows? =P

Joking aside, Im super excited to see what JVC brings.
I really hope the 6xx ends up being 4k laser. (or all of them =))

My projector will be 11 years old next year, so its about time for me to upgrade, and right now it seems like Sony or JVC... and after seeing so many JVC's locally I would really like to get something near the 5x0 contrast levels.

Question - For the stuff that will be announced when does it usually hit the streets? By Christmas or early next year?

#8 ·
Because that's what JVC has indicated. However, we won't know for sure until the official information release at IFA and CEDIA :)

:wink:

#7 ·
It will be interesting to read JVC's marketing material if the contrast levels are indeed much, much lower than their current e-shiFt range.

What was once touted as the thing that is absolutely needed for a great picture, will suddenly be not quite so important for a really good image......, as some have already been arguing. ;)

I can't wait to see how they word it if it is indeed the case. ;)

On the other hand, they may have a rabbit ready to pull from that hat..... :)

#114 ·
What was once touted as the thing that is absolutely needed for a great picture, will suddenly be not quite so important for a really good image......, as some have already been arguing. ;)
If JVC releases a lower contrast 4K projector, it does not mean that contrast was less "important for a really good image". It instead means that marketing pressures have forced JVC to go 4K as that's the trend in spite of a better picture. There's no guarantee that whatever they release will be a picture improvement over the previous generation. I think JAVs would argue that his x9500 was a better picture than the few x9900's he bought (and returned). I am certainly not willing to sacrifice my RS640 contrast for something with less contrast and native 4K, and just because JVC might decide to do so doesn't mean I will.

#12 ·
I was hoping they'd stick with eshift and bring laser downmarket. As a customer, it's annoying that the overall industry stupidity of rushing to display 8K has forced them in devoting resources to further develop native 4K to eshift 8K. :(

#14 ·
Retailers are anticipating an uptick in pricing as well, so I might have to decide if the native 4K is worth the premium, or if contrast wins and I get a 540. I really hope the real-world contrast is decent and I would be okay with the levels that Sony has if they still accept the 18gb video signal.

#30 ·
Now I'm wondering what JVC will bring to the table to challenge Sony in the native 4k space. It'll be good to have competition, if they supersede the Sony 285 in all respects, then Sony would be forced to bring the price down, or release a replacement sooner than expected. Hopefully, JVC will keep the price reasonable at around 5k for the lowest one and not higher, though I'm a bit skeptical.

Reactions: billqs and bobof
#42 ·
I expect we will see an entry level native 4K model from JVC with a street price under (perhaps even well under) Sony's official $5K price point for their VW285. I would further expect the JVC to still have a single DI as have had their RS-4xx series the past few years, in which case dynamic contrast should be more like a Sony VW385 rather than the Sony entry-level VW285. Of course this is speculation at this point and no word yet on what Sony may announce at IFA or CEDIA.

#34 ·
published native contrast in new models

JVC has historically been one of the only manufacturers to post native contrast #'s in their press releases - well potential native with iris clamped but good info nonetheless for those of us that run the iris dialed down.

I'm hoping we see that early info with the press release on the 31st and there is full transparency on the native capabilities on the new models.

@ARROW-AV - bring your minolta T10 and get us that early info pls... :)

#41 ·
JVC has historically been one of the only manufacturers to post native contrast #'s in their press releases - well potential native with iris clamped but good info nonetheless for those of us that run the iris dialed down.

I'm hoping we see that early info with the press release on the 31st and there is full transparency on the native capabilities on the new models.

@ARROW-AV - bring your minolta T10 and get us that early info pls... :)

Except native is not published on the RS4500.

#49 · (Edited)
I think moving into native 4K is a great move for JVC. I realize that it’s not that important for enthusiast but the general population wants 4K, although some of them may already be fooled by JVCs current marketing. I would say about half the people I talk to about my theater and using a projector ask if it’s 4K. It’s been pushed down their throats by all the tv manufacturers and that’s what they know. I will definitely take a look at these because I’m tired of listening to the e-shift noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#54 ·
I think moving into native 4K is a great move for JVC. I realize that it’s not that important for enthusiast but the general population want 4K, although some of them may already be fooled by JVCs current marketing. I would say about half the people I talk to about my theater and using a projector ask if it’s 4K. It’s been pushed down their throats by all the tv manufacturers and that’s what they know. I will definitely take a look at these because I’m tired of listening to the e-shift noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, using my Sony VW760ES I can never go back from native 4k. I find the image absolutely spectacular.

#84 ·
Nice bit of detective work Sherlock!

I would say the DLA-PZ1000 is the model above the Z1/RS4500 that will/may be introduced at IFA. Sporting higher lumens than the Z1/RS4500 as well as incorporating an E-Shift element for 8k. Hopefully a mechanical DI will be incorporated, with new laser modulation programming, but I doubt it. Although we may see this in a gen or two.

With the lamp based units, I think I'm correct in what I have been speculating, the 4k native JVC's will have a lamp shutter on all the models, this way their advertising material can claim an Infinity:1 specification. This will/may be the end of JVC touting a higher than the rest Native Contrast advantage, perhaps down the track when their 4k/UHD chips native contrast increase to braggable heights, they'll revive the spiel. :p

I hope in the top two models in addition to the lamp shutter, the shutter will be programmed to modulate brightness in conjunction with the DI. A special ultra long life globe for these top two models as they will be running at mostly at full brightness. A manual iris for those who want to disable the DI. If not this time around, keep this in mind for the next gen JVC :D

I think JVC will be savvy and have the lamp shutter undefeatable, making On/Off contrast measurements difficult. But Cine4Home is sure to get his tech guy on the case!

Excited, can't wait! :)

#82 ·
There seem to be a lot of anxiety around the possibility of a drop in native contrast in the new JVC’s with most worried that it will be bested by the 4K Sony’s. I will go out on a limb and say it will be suicidal for JVC to bring new projectors to market with contrast numbers that are bested by Sony’s offerings.

JVC made a key breakthrough with the .67” 4K chip, that is; a substantial increase in fill ratio was developed and they solved the manufacturing issues. Now scale this chip to +1” and you will have a fill ratio that will be close to 100%. The real challenge is how will JVC evolve the polarizers to match the performance of the new chips; a larger chip (and E-shift) will mask this problem and return class leading blacks and buys time for the polarizers to continue year over year incremental improvements to improve the black floor.

It is not hard for JVC to beat the Sony’s on native contrast but it won’t be done with a .67” chip on a low/medium budget offering. This is why I am betting the farm on a larger DILA chip for the new offerings.

#83 ·
First I've heard of this key breakthrough. Where did you get this information?

#85 ·
DLA-PZ1000..., that's a very odd designation. Doesn't really seem to fit any of the current naming conventions in the list. I hope that doesn't mean this is a super high end projector of 50k+

#87 ·
Me thinks you are correct!

#94 ·
On second glance, it's probably nothing. I see the UL file was last updated on 2018-04-16 - so it would have been hiding in plain sight for at least that long (assuming this was the last thing added to the file, I can't browse the updates).

Maybe DLA-PZ1000 is just some other product that hasn't seen the light of day, or some very specialized market product not on general sale but they needed to have UL listed for insurance purposes.

The 1000 number is particularly grand, though, does have the sound of a new flagship / top of the range "something".

#96 ·
Agree Z1000 is a major step up from Z1. There is speculation of a higher than the Z1/RS4500 is coming out. With the top two lamp based JVC native 4k units sporting 8k, perhaps the Z1000 is the beast to introduce 8k laser to the consumer sector.

#97 ·
JVC s naming convention are generally very confusing tho. They tend to give the same units drastically different names. Like Z1 and rs4500, or rs640 and x9900. A non suspecting user would think these are all completely different devices. :S

Reactions: Highjinx
#99 · (Edited)
Don't we do this all the time in here anyway?? :D

#109 ·
What's in droppin' a lil' 'p' ;)

Reactions: Mike Garrett
#110 ·
I am not that old, yet. :)

#126 ·
If everyone wants some real insight into JVC, then you should probably watch/rewatch the HTG podcast with Rod Sterling.
January 2017

#132 ·
If this is true, and JVC really comes out with an all-new 4K lamp based range, then regardless of the 4K native contrast ratio, I'll be sad and happy at the same time. I'll be sad because what I really want is laser. But I'll also be happy because if the new range is all 4K, that means I should be able to get a then-outdated 2018 1080p model for *really* cheap on the used market, to replace my old X35.

My next "expensive" projector will be laser. Because I clock crazy amounts of hours on my projectors. And because of all the other advantages: No brightness loss, no recalibations all the time, no lamp flickering, potentially higher brightness, potentially wider color spectrum, RS4500's laser dimming algo, instant on, etc etc...

#135 ·
Anyone hopped over to JVC's simulation projector page? I think you'll find big clues about what the native contrast will be on these native 4K ones and the eShift 8K. If you wonder around a bit you'll also find laser eShift 4k models which had led me to expect downmarket introductions on consumer 4k eshift laser models since JVC was already manufacturing that configuration.

That DLA-PZ1000 is an interesting one but I think the speculation that it was unreleased might be the least wrong answer. That UPC code site isn't listing the LX-UH1 model though either so the PZ is something ye olde and buried.

#137 ·
The eShift 4K simulation laser is about 3 or 4 years old. It hasn't become a consumer product because the existing chassis design doesn't seem to be able to cool a laser without sounding like a jet aircraft (noise rating is something like 54dB if I recall).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.