NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13017Likes

post #4831 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 07:06 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
I guess the whole bright corners phenomenon needs putting into context a little.

It would be better to refer to it as what it is - black field uniformity. They're not actually bright corners... (perhaps bright-er corners, or less dark corners...)

I have actually measured them. On my X7900 they are constant at 20,000:1 native contrast in the brighter areas - nothing I can do to the unit improves this (iris setting, etc). I'm sure if I click up my brightness they would disappear, but that would be pointless.
This means that the affected areas with reference SDR around 56nits are at something <0.003 nits.
Most non-dedicated rooms will have a black floor above this.

This means that these areas are still around 1.5 to 2 times darker than the best (without DI / DL) black level coming out of other manufacturer units in the centre of their screen! But they are eminently noticeable if you have a room capable of showing off these units to their best because of our log-scale vision and the rest of the contrast being massive on these units. I'm measuring about 65-70,000:1 in the dark areas on my X7900 at -9 iris - so the brighter areas are more than 3x brighter for my setup.

In use; they're obvious when I'm sat here consciously knowing they are there, and watching out for them. If I do let myself immerse in the content (recommended! ) then I do tend to stop noticing them for the most part. The DI stops me seeing them almost completely, but has other issues I am still not sure I want to live with. I am going to stop thinking about them and just get on with watching movies.

@Gary Lightfoot is right - I'm not happy about the unit I have having them, because the last unit I had as far as I could see didn't have them. That to me says that unless there is something that happens to the units after manufacturing then JVC COULD TRY HARDER. I was lucky not to pay for my own X7900 and they still annoy me, so I can feel the pain of folk who've bought their PJs. I would be very fussy in future about how I bought a PJ next time particularly as the opinion of amny seems that this isn't a fault - I'd probably look for someone prepared to work with me on the issue up-front so I didn't have to deal with JVC support. Or buy used / ex dem so I could see what I was getting before parting with my cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
How often do you recalibrate lamp based projector?

I recalibrated 5040 this weekend and was amazed at shift in green. (reduced) JVC brochure shows running autocal after 1000hrs, but it's only been 425 hours since I last calibrated (at 50hr break in)

Edit: I am slogging my way through JVC calibration thread. Have read every post in this thread but have a ways to go over there lol. Thanks for all the info guys
This is discussed in that very long thread you've mentioned. And also over in the owner's thread.

Some have recommended every couple hundred hours.
I do it whenever I decide necessary.

I've done it at about:
And was thinking I needed to again at about 950, but just doing the simple/quick light level check showed that it had dropped down to about 12fL. Adjusting the iris to take it back to 16fL made the image 'come alive' so much that I haven't bothered to do the full recal again yet.

I still think I should, bound to be some 'gamma droop', but it looks so good I find I would rather be spending the available time just watching/enjoying it rather than setting up for and doing a full cal so far.
David Mathews likes this.
post #4833 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 12668 Post(s)
Liked: 10294
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasg View Post
Should fit this ceiling holder for N5? Dimension between screws are same like on X5900, etc.

https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/te...es-projectors/
Yes that will fit, but how do you adjust the projector, using just a plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I use that mount with my X30.

The adjustments are via the 4 'bobbin' screws which allow the proj to be tilted slightly over both axis. My ceiling wasn't level, the plate sloped forward from back to front, so to level the proj the back 'bobbins were unscrewed more than the front pair, if that makes sense?
post #4835 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb1965 View Post
I use that mount with my X30.

The adjustments are via the 4 'bobbin' screws which allow the proj to be tilted slightly over both axis. My ceiling wasn't level, the plate sloped forward from back to front, so to level the proj the back 'bobbins were unscrewed more than the front pair, if that makes sense?
That is not how you would want to mount a projector. It would be loose on the plate. So if you plugged or unplugged an HDMI cable or power cord into the projector, the projector would be free to move a little bit.
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #4836 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are these new projectors 120hz native refresh rate?
post #4837 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That is not how you would want to mount a projector. It would be loose on the plate. So if you plugged or unplugged an HDMI cable or power cord into the projector, the projector would be free to move a little bit.
No, the proj is very secure on the mount, & doesn't move when attaching / removing cables,etc.
post #4838 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6754 Post(s)
Liked: 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I do want to at least thank Sony for the competition they offer, as to why these prices are a reality for us.
That is true, certainly helped out.
post #4839 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Should fit this ceiling holder for N5? Dimension between screws are same like on X5900, etc.

https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/te...es-projectors/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What @mickb1965 didn't mention is that there are two long screws at the rear of the mount that lock the 2 rearmost bobbins against the front of the keyholes they are sat in, so when the PJ is in it is very secure. Getting it in there? Another matter...

The mount itself is a piece of junk. I had one and was not alone in finding the manufacturing tolerances to be poor, with parts that barely lined up due to the left right bobbin locations spanning 4 metal folds. To add insult to injury, on the first unit I received it didn't even have the correct metric thread bush insert in just one of the locations (!).
The 4 bobbin setup means single person installation is taking your projector's life into your own hands (as my ill-fated X3 found out). The 4 bobbins are very hard to align, and the poor tolerances mean the projector does anything but slide home nicely. It snarls up and catches with much fettling required.

Altogether a very unsatisfactory product.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #4840 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7092 Post(s)
Liked: 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I'm totally new to the world of A-Lens. Are there other sleds I could use besides Panamorph's, and would it fit the DCR?
I have no idea - you might inquire here - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...e-height-chat/

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #4841 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb1965 View Post
No, the proj is very secure on the mount, & doesn't move when attaching / removing cables,etc.
Then I am not following what you are doing and what you posted. For example if you needed to tilt the projector up, you would loosen the back bobbin screws. Doing so the back of the projector would not be secured tight to the plate. You have a picture of a projector mounted, with that plate or a plate like it?
post #4842 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
What @mickb1965 didn't mention is that there are two long screws at the rear of the mount that lock the 2 rearmost bobbins against the front of the keyholes they are sat in, so when the PJ is in it is very secure. Getting it in there? Another matter...

The mount itself is a piece of junk. I had one and was not alone in finding the manufacturing tolerances to be poor, with parts that barely lined up due to the left right bobbin locations spanning 4 metal folds. To add insult to injury, on the first unit I received it didn't even have the correct metric thread bush insert in just one of the locations (!).
The 4 bobbin setup means single person installation is taking your projector's life into your own hands (as my ill-fated X3 found out). The 4 bobbins are very hard to align, and the poor tolerances mean the projector does anything but slide home nicely. It snarls up and catches with much fettling required.

Okay, looking at it, it did not look like a good mounting solution to me either.
post #4843 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7092 Post(s)
Liked: 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post

Better to use a Chief mount, CMA101 plate and a 1 1/2" close nipple. Better to get a little ventilation / air movement around the projector.
OzHDHT and bobof like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #4844 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I'm totally new to the world of A-Lens. Are there other sleds I could use besides Panamorph's, and would it fit the DCR?
I am sure that Cineslide could be made to fit. Also Prismasonic makes a manual and an electric that could be made to fit.
David Mathews likes this.
post #4845 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 2269
Quote:
I agree - for me it is not about whether I can see them during program material, but whether I can see them in a fade to black scene. Many movies have such a scene where they fade to black and hold there for 3-5 seconds. A pj that has bright corners can look pretty bad on fade to black and take you out of the movie. Fortunately my RS500 is excellent in this regard. No matter how good a replacement unit is, it would be a major step backward if a replacement had brighter corners noticeable in fade to black.
I've owned an RS4810, RS4910, and currently RS440. I've also seen a couple of RS400s. All excellent in regards to corners. I've seen them on a handful of RS5/600s. I've also seen them horribly on a refurbed (non B stock) RS4910. I am talking so awful as they extended into the center of the screen. I've seen one LS10000 like that as well, but three others which were good.

Last edited by DavidHir; 09-24-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #4846 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Better to use a Chief mount, CMA101 plate and a 1 1/2" close nipple. Better to get a little ventilation / air movement around the projector.
I'm using the Peerless PRG-UNV which is also very good and well priced.
post #4847 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't like it all this story of lottery units. It really creates a psychological instability knowing that the unit you bought, paying US$ 8.000,00, might come with bright corners. This is more serious when you're not in the USA, where the procedure of changing the pj affected by the bug is much more difficult and certainly requires a long, long time. I have a X 950, and so far I didn't see anything related to uniformity instability. Had also an RS 25 unit without any problem. It seems this talk started after the RS 600/X950 models, though I may be wrong.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #4848 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
I don't like it all this story of lottery units. It really creates a psychological instability knowing that the unit you bought, paying US$ 8.000,00, might come with bright corners. This is more serious when you're not in the USA, where the procedure of changing the pj affected by the bug is much more difficult and certainly requires a long, long time. I have a X 950, and so far I didn't see anything related to uniformity instability. Had also an RS 25 unit without any problem. It seems this talk started after the RS 600/X950 models, though I may be wrong.
Nope, bright corner talk has been going on for a long time. Long before the RS600 series. Very few have enough of an issue that it is noticeable in actual use, but some do.
post #4849 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
That brings to mind an interesting possibility for improving the situation for someone who has a sharper image present on say the left two thirds of the screen but it 'fuzzes out' some on the far right. And if using long throw.

Intentionally mount the projector off center and then lens shift to see if an on average overall sharper image can be gained by shifting the light to go through a 'better' section of the lens.

Interesting, but man what fiddling. I think I'll pass on testing that theory.

Yes, interesting idea.

Yeah, I don't see why you'd test it unless you had the issue, not to mention that there wouldn't be anything to test unless you did.

Noah
post #4850 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Has there been any estimates on the improved ANSI? I presume it should be (roughly) the same for all the new models?

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #4851 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Chief has everything you need. I use the CMA-101 ceiling plate (the one with 4 bolt holes and NPT pipe threading), the RPA custom mount along with the projector plate for my JVC RS500, and a 12" extension to lower the projector from the ceiling to reduce the amount of lens shift required.

tigerhonaker likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4852 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
+1 to what @claw said. I use everything like that but a 6 inch(I think) that I got from @Mike Garrett. Holds my RS420 just fine. I do like this set up, as I can get the projector up and down by myself.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #4853 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Has there been any estimates on the improved ANSI? I presume it should be (roughly) the same for all the new models?
RS3000 could be higher. Will not know about any of this until measured.
post #4854 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Chief has everything you need. I use the CMA-101 ceiling plate (the one with 4 bolt holes and NPT pipe threading), the RPA custom mount along with the projector plate for my JVC RS500, and a 12" extension to lower the projector from the ceiling to reduce the amount of lens shift required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
+1 to what @claw said. I use everything like that but a 6 inch(I think) that I got from @Mike Garrett. Holds my RS420 just fine. I do like this set up, as I can get the projector up and down by myself.
Do they make a 4" nipple?
post #4855 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Do they make a 4" nipple?
Fixed
3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36 and keeps going. Once you get to 9" they have a side cutout for the wiring to enter or exit.

Adjustable
6-9, 9-12, 12-18, 18-24, 24-36 and keeps going.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #4856 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6652
post #4857 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
42: The answer to life, the universe and everything
JeffNebraska and Bytehoven like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4858 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So Chief mount, CMA101 or Peerless PRG-UNV. I want it as close as possible to ceiling, of course with some space to manipulation.
post #4859 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
So Chief mount, CMA101 or Peerless PRG-UNV. I want it as close as possible to ceiling, of course with some space to manipulation.
Not the Chief CMA101. I would get the Chief RPA 191 and mount it to the ceiling. You might have a 1-1/2- 2" between the projector & ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chief_RPA281_Custom_RPA_Projector_Mount_1307110477000_779623.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2459634  
tomasg likes this.

Last edited by Tom Bley; 09-24-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #4860 of 13653 Old 09-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6754 Post(s)
Liked: 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
I do not care if you buy a RS4500 I guarantee you it will not be perfect. I know the JVC we have here does not have bright corners that I have seen. I am to busy enjoying what I have, I am sure if I wanted to focus I could find a few things wrong with it. If it stands out that is one thing, I do not go searching for problems. To each there own though.....

Quote:
Build a box, you decide how close to the ceiling you want it, and never have to buy a mount again as well. <<< Click Here >>>

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 09-24-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page