NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13016Likes

post #6631 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn74 View Post
What is your opinion on the NX7 vs the X990r?
On paper I'd say the 640/990/9900 would walk away from the n5, will be better than the n7 and maybe better than the nx9 on contrast performance. But i agree seeing the new units is required to confirm.

Regarding color performance, it's not clear if the expanded gamut is something that will really jump out at you on the new units, but it will be a nice upgrade .

Regarding resolution, the nx9 is assuredly going to be the champion. The n5/n7 will have to prove the updated lens fares better than the last generation. I'm not clear if the updated lens is actually better than a good sample on the last generation projectors, or if the updated less will benefit from better QC, with good lenses ending up in all n5/n7 projectors. I'd love to know where those new lenses that fail the QC test end up.

At the end of the day, for me, enhanced resolution and modest gamut expansion is not enough for me to abandon my excellent 990. I also want superior contrast performance, so I'm willing to wait for the total package.

Will I be suffering from this choice? It sure doesn't feel like suffering, but if it is, I'd wish all poor choices resulted in such consequences. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
How does the 990 look with 4K gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post
Okay, now I understand we're talking about the same thing. Someone suggested a 1.3 gain for HDR. I like the idea but I'm concerned about the intensified light bouncing off the room. If I went that way I'd have to go with a darker room.

Does the "Half-Gain Angle" affect light?
Yes, having a narrow half-gain angle means less light is reflected onto the side walls and ceiling, and the projected image is also less affected by the reflected light from those surfaces.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #6633 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
No, it is not. I was just showing that it was not tied strictly to the anamorphic modes. but it still may not do what you want and the info you quoted is correct. it is just not saying, what you think it is saying. Note in the post you quoted, it was listed using an anamorphic lens along with the 12 volt trigger.
That is true, but I am going to use it (12v trigger) with my anamorphic lens sled... but since I will probably use the Oppo 203's vertical stretch I still need a way to engage the trigger. The Oppo only has a 12v trigger pass through (unless I am totally missing their tech specs). I do have a DIY powered 12v trigger that I can activate via IR remote but that requires so much more effort than just a single wire to-from the projector to the sled...hence my wish to have the JVCs 12v trigger to be independent from either the Power on or the Anamorphic settings on the JVC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6634 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Ok that’s interesting. Kind of odd really given my JVC contact is at the top of the pro division and said to me only yesterday in regards to the two not for sale units they were quote getting shortly were for testing by a few local post houses? I find it really odd that he’d misstate that if they’d actually already arrived and were in the hands of those prod houses
@OzHDHT thanks or this, not sure if you read this, no doubt you have some connection in JVC up top. is there anyways at all you could ask if they have ANY plans to have these new models have some sort of showing pre release with dealers/end users ? , just as JVC has been doing in europe and appears in Japan as well. It would help not only dealers but end users no end in greater appreciation first hand of what this new range is like, let alone build some confidence in getting on the train

there are two shows in melbourne even, no doubt the one going on now lost opportunity, but there is one even in a weeks time where they could do a public showing ... if nothing else....
OzHDHT likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #6635 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Mike et al, any word from JVC about a fix for the 7% distortion with 16x9 content and a Paladin DCR lens on the new series?
David Mathews likes this.
post #6636 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'm pretty sure this "dinosaur" 990 won't cause me to gouge my eyes out due to being forced to watch it's mediocre picture for another year.

The 990 dinosaur: a rare specimen that has only been pieced together using hand picked parts of various rare finds

Apparently it had feathers too after one piece was discovered in amber. Very mesmerizing, dark black feathers, with white highlights that really stand out in stark beautiful contrast
Bytehoven and Chris Kane like this.

Dave
post #6637 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 2938
Quote:
How can I contact you? So are you saying you would get the N7 over the older model? Do these play well with Black Diamond 1.4?
Do you not have a light controlled room? Otherwise, there's no good reason to own a black diamond 2 screen.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6638 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
How can I contact you? So are you saying you would get the N7 over the older model? Do these play well with Black Diamond 1.4?
Do you not have a light controlled room? Otherwise, there's no good reason to own a black diamond 2 screen.
I have overhead lights that we like to have on during sports during the day. Not many screens perform well with light on the vertical plane and also give a decent viewing angle. I’ve spoken to many industry experts who recommend the black diamond. I also want a .5” thick frame. You have any other suggestions?
post #6639 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Guys do we know yet if the new models support 1080p 120hz, this is important for pc gaming.
OMG this is so unimportant for PC gaming. The new models are native 4K. The boost for native 4K in gaming is so huge its just completely silly to go with 1080p for any reason. PC gaming at 4k/60 with anti aliasing completely disabled because the pixels are so small will result in a jaw dropping image that you cannot get on any movie content. Gaming is the sole reason to go 4K in my opinion and without it, I'd just keep my RS640. Even the idea that someone thinks 1080p/120 is the way to go is crazy talk once you see 4k/60 on a huge screen in action. Again, only PC gaming lets you disable anti aliaising which boosts sharpness a ton as you dont need AA because at 4k there are no jaggies.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6640 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I really want to try MADVR but the limiting factor for me is the entire process of ripping and storing UHD somewhere to use it. I would need to find a drive that rips, hope the keys are available, rip it, store it, configure madvr (which is ever evolving right now).

I was hoping the auto tone mapping would be good on the projectors, but based on what you are saying about the metadata not being correct on a lot of discs, then I don't see how it could be good.....but then again most people seem happy with the Panasonic and its doing it based on metadata as well. Perfect solution would be an external box to do this that doesn't cost 5000+ dollars like the Lumagen. I don't see MADVR moving to an external box when I read the thread it requires a lot of power on a HTPC.
I think the built in tone mapping will be "good". The MadVR option is excellent. Not to mention that MadVR is the best upscaler and video processor I've ever seen MadVR is much more than an HDR tone mapping solution.

I believe zoom player max supports bluray playback and can also use MadVR so that eliminates needing to rip the movies first. I am not sure how the feature works as I don't play disks. But it's listed as one of the features it supports.

post #6641 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
That is true, but I am going to use it (12v trigger) with my anamorphic lens sled... but since I will probably use the Oppo 203's vertical stretch I still need a way to engage the trigger. The Oppo only has a 12v trigger pass through (unless I am totally missing their tech specs). I do have a DIY powered 12v trigger that I can activate via IR remote but that requires so much more effort than just a single wire to-from the projector to the sled...hence my wish to have the JVCs 12v trigger to be independent from either the Power on or the Anamorphic settings on the JVC.

Your probably well aware, jvc will do both original vertical stretch not just new "anamorphic c" for full 17:9 panel. And no distortion on 16:9 using "regular" anamorphic lens

Lol, is there any such thing as a "regular" anamorphic lens? Another 1st world problem...

Dave
post #6642 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
Quote:
OMG this is so unimportant for PC gaming. The new models are native 4K. The boost for native 4K in gaming is so huge its just completely silly to go with 1080p for any reason. PC gaming at 4k/60 with anti aliasing completely disabled because the pixels are so small will result in a jaw dropping image that you cannot get on any movie content. Gaming is the sole reason to go 4K in my opinion and without it, I'd just keep my RS640. Even the idea that someone thinks 1080p/120 is the way to go is crazy talk once you see 4k/60 on a huge screen in action. Again, only PC gaming lets you disable anti aliaising which boosts sharpness a ton as you dont need AA because at 4k there are no jaggies.
For PC gaming, I prefer a 144hz monitor at 1080p to 4k60HZ. Certainly for FPS games.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #6643 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
On paper I'd say the 640/990/9900 would walk away from the n5, will be better than the n7 and maybe better than the nx9 on contrast performance. But i agree seeing the new units is required to confirm.

Regarding color performance, it's not clear if the expanded gamut is something that will really jump out at you on the new units, but it will be a nice upgrade .

Regarding resolution, the nx9 is assuredly going to be the champion. The n5/n7 will have to prove the updated lens fares better than the last generation. I'm not clear if the updated lens is actually better than a good sample on the last generation projectors, or if the updated less will benefit from better QC, with good lenses ending up in all n5/n7 projectors. I'd love to know where those new lenses that fail the QC test end up.

At the end of the day, for me, enhanced resolution and modest gamut expansion is not enough for me to abandon my excellent 990. I also want superior contrast performance, so I'm willing to wait for the total package.

Will I be suffering from this choice? It sure doesn't feel like suffering, but if it is, I'd wish all poor choices resulted in such consequences.
I share Bytehoven's opinion but ordered an RS3000 to replace my RS640 anyway. My hope is that the black level won't be noticeably less as rumor is you need to be around double contrast to notice a difference and 100,000 is not half of 160,000. But who knows. I play a lot of games where 4K resolution is very noticeable. I use to have 2 projectors set up, an RS640 for tv/movies and a sony 675ES native 4K for games. I sold the 675Es to help fund the RS3000. If the RS3000 isn't better than the RS640 in tv/movies due to lack of contrast, I'll be selling it and keeping the RS640 and getting a cheap entry 4K projector for gaming in the meantime.

My thoughts in your case:
1) What type of content do you use on your projector.
- Games? Native 4K huge boost
- Movies/TV - not much benefit over eshift of x790/rs540

2) How far back do you sit?
- If you are more than 1 screen width from your screen don't bother with 4K you wont see the difference over eshifted pixels.
- Ideally you should be like .75 x screen width. I'm 8.5 feet from 135" screen. Even on that, eshift vs native 4k on movies is super hard to notice.

3) If you watch HDR content, from where?
- Streaming - the new projector tone mapping will be huge benefit.
- Bluray player panasonic 820 - the tone mapping can be done in player, not a benefit. If you dont have this player you can buy it.
- PC or "files on disk" - you can and should use something supporting MadVR so no benefit for tone mapping.

4) How light controlled is your room?
- Living room or "media room" - You wont benefit from the deep blacks of JVC any way so you probably cant tell difference in contrast.
- Complete light controlled room - you will benefit from the deep blacks of the best JVC models.

5) The RS3000 lens should be sharper in all content even at a little further seating distances.
- The improved lens has a way of just being sharper, its odd how it benefits all resolutions. People with an RS4500 can attest to this.
- The RS2000/RS1000 is basically sale lens as on RS540 but with better Q/C supposedly. Probably not massive difference.

Hope that all helps.

Personally, coming from an RS640, I would not consider an N5/RS1000 at 40,000:1. I would *maybe* consider an N7/RS2000, but I would not preorder it. I'd have to see it myself first. The NX9/RS3000 was the only one I consider could be a good all around upgrade without much/any sacrifice. Again on paper (but JVC isn't known for lying).

Remember, we don't know how these new models perform in the real world. But I suspect the black performance will be good. I had an x500r entry level projector and the black performance on that was quite good. I'm quite spoiled by my RS640 right now, the blacks are so awesome I enjoy watching end credits. RS3000 is going to have to be very close to not be sold off.

As a side note, the preorder discount is quite good. While site rules prevent stating it, I don't think I'll have a problem selling an RS3000 with 50 hours on bulb used and get my $$ back out should the new unit be disappointing. I think there's maybe 1 day left to grab the preorder discount on new models.

post #6644 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the built in tone mapping will be "good". The MadVR option is excellent. Not to mention that MadVR is the best upscaler and video processor I've ever seen MadVR is much more than an HDR tone mapping solution.

I believe zoom player max supports bluray playback and can also use MadVR so that eliminates needing to rip the movies first. I am not sure how the feature works as I don't play disks. But it's listed as one of the features it supports.

You realize you're making it harder for me to not go down the htpc rabbit hole... again... after 10 years need new hardware of course.

Think I'll wait a while till see what you and others think of new jvc rs3000 scaling. It will probably be more than adequate for me. But madvr really interesting none the less

As always, thanks for your information

Dave
post #6645 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Your probably well aware, jvc will do both original vertical stretch not just new "anamorphic c" for full 17:9 panel. And no distortion on 16:9 using "regular" anamorphic lens

Lol, is there any such thing as a "regular" anamorphic lens? Another 1st world problem...
I would call the 1.33X lenses (ISCO IIIL and the Panamorph Paladin) the "regular" anamorphic lens and the 1.25X lenses (ISCO DLP Cinema 1.25x and the Panamorph DCR) as the "special" anamorphic lenses....lol...now if I can only get my hands on one of those ISCO DLP Cinema monsters. That's my first world problem.

Yes, I knew the JVC has a vertical stretch but I prefer to use the Oppo's vertical stretch for the ability to move subs that I did not move myself.
post #6646 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does the 990 look with 4K gaming?
Very good, but consider the 990 half way between 1080p and 4k. It's nice enough to be able to show 4k/60 and disable anti aliasing on PC and not see jaggies. But native 4K shows more detail especially on small objects, background objects, characters that are very small and far away etc.

post #6647 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Did they happen to tell you which post houses?

Given I'm in the industry there is a chance I may be able to get in and have a look.

Frame Set and Match?

Probably is additional test units coming with final firmware. That would make sense.

No I didn't ask specifically I suspect it could be the same houses that got demos of the Z1 to test and check colourmetry which I could find from an old email on my work PC tomorrow. I'll shoot you a PM when I check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
To clarify - you're saying that they're getting into the hands of dealers late November or early December? That's for the US or Aus?

If you tracked my original post you'd know I was referring specifically to Aus. This was a follow up post to subsequent posts by Javs and Craig Peer about Aus and the US delivery situs.
alebonau likes this.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 10-13-2018 at 04:44 PM.
post #6648 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
No I didn't ask specifically I suspect it could be the same houses that got demos of the Z1 to test and check colourmetry which I could find from an old email on my work PC tomorrow. I'll shoot you a PM when I check.

If you tracked my original post you'd know I was referring specifically to Aus. This was a follow up post to subsequent posts by Javs and Craig Peer about Aus and the US delivery situs.
I thought as much, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the reply, I hope you'll be able to get them sooner!
OzHDHT likes this.
post #6649 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
@OzHDHT thanks or this, not sure if you read this, no doubt you have some connection in JVC up top. is there anyways at all you could ask if they have ANY plans to have these new models have some sort of showing pre release with dealers/end users ? , just as JVC has been doing in europe and appears in Japan as well. It would help not only dealers but end users no end in greater appreciation first hand of what this new range is like, let alone build some confidence in getting on the train

there are two shows in melbourne even, no doubt the one going on now lost opportunity, but there is one even in a weeks time where they could do a public showing ... if nothing else....

Mate I would say he would have mentioned that along with the mention of prod house evals. Then again, I don't know how much my contact interfaces with the retail guys at JVC being on the pro equipment side either. I suspect Javs has a better connection to JVC Aus retail being in the trade himself..
alebonau likes this.
post #6650 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will I be suffering from this choice? It sure doesn't feel like suffering, but if it is, I'd wish all poor choices resulted in such consequences. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I share Bytehoven's opinion but ordered an RS3000 to replace my RS640 anyway. My hope is that the black level won't be noticeably less as rumor is you need to be around double contrast to notice a difference and 100,000 is not half of 160,000. But who knows. I play a lot of games where 4K resolution is very noticeable. I use to have 2 projectors set up, an RS640 for tv/movies and a sony 675ES native 4K for games. I sold the 675Es to help fund the RS3000. If the RS3000 isn't better than the RS640 in tv/movies due to lack of contrast, I'll be selling it and keeping the RS640 and getting a cheap entry 4K projector for gaming in the meantime.

My thoughts in your case:
1) What type of content do you use on your projector.
- Games? Native 4K huge boost
- Movies/TV - not much benefit over eshift of x790/rs540

2) How far back do you sit?
- If you are more than 1 screen width from your screen don't bother with 4K you wont see the difference over eshifted pixels.
- Ideally you should be like .75 x screen width. I'm 8.5 feet from 135" screen. Even on that, eshift vs native 4k on movies is super hard to notice.

3) If you watch HDR content, from where?
- Streaming - the new projector tone mapping will be huge benefit.
- Bluray player panasonic 820 - the tone mapping can be done in player, not a benefit. If you dont have this player you can buy it.
- PC or "files on disk" - you can and should use something supporting MadVR so no benefit for tone mapping.

4) How light controlled is your room?
- Living room or "media room" - You wont benefit from the deep blacks of JVC any way so you probably cant tell difference in contrast.
- Complete light controlled room - you will benefit from the deep blacks of the best JVC models.

5) The RS3000 lens should be sharper in all content even at a little further seating distances.
- The improved lens has a way of just being sharper, its odd how it benefits all resolutions. People with an RS4500 can attest to this.
- The RS2000/RS1000 is basically sale lens as on RS540 but with better Q/C supposedly. Probably not massive difference.

Hope that all helps.

Personally, coming from an RS640, I would not consider an N5/RS1000 at 40,000:1. I would *maybe* consider an N7/RS2000, but I would not preorder it. I'd have to see it myself first. The NX9/RS3000 was the only one I consider could be a good all around upgrade without much/any sacrifice. Again on paper (but JVC isn't known for lying).

Remember, we don't know how these new models perform in the real world. But I suspect the black performance will be good. I had an x500r entry level projector and the black performance on that was quite good. I'm quite spoiled by my RS640 right now, the blacks are so awesome I enjoy watching end credits. RS3000 is going to have to be very close to not be sold off.

As a side note, the preorder discount is quite good. While site rules prevent stating it, I don't think I'll have a problem selling an RS3000 with 50 hours on bulb used and get my $$ back out should the new unit be disappointing. I think there's maybe 1 day left to grab the preorder discount on new models.
Thanks for the info. My dilemma is that I need to make a decision soon as to which way to go.

1. For content I’d say 20% games 50% TV/Netflix, 30% movies on Apple TV

2. The screen will be 115” and we will sit 14’ back.

3. Stream HDR from Netflix and Apple TV movies only.

4. Room is completely light controlled although we watch a lot of sports with the lights on and will be using an ALR screen.

5. I’m only between the 990 and NX7. Leaning towards the 990 only because I know it’s such a good projector. Thoughts based on my responses?
post #6651 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

What is the advantage of Zoom Player Max, other then it installs MadVR automatically if one chooses to do so, plus one has to pay for it ?
I can already use MPC-HC for free and I don't have to rip the movies first (Blu-ray).
I can decrypt on the fly with MPC-HC just as easily with Zoom Player.

Zoom Player is just another unlicensed PC player.
post #6652 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
What is the advantage of Zoom Player Max, other then it installs MadVR automatically if one chooses to do so, plus one has to pay for it ?
I can already use MPC-HC for free and I don't have to rip the movies first (Blu-ray).

That's interesting, I assume you have to have a 7 series or higher core i chips to do that? Whats the process to decrypt on the fly? We can take to PM if folks feel its off topic =)
post #6653 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
How does one preorder?

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #6654 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My dilemma is that I need to make a decision soon as to which way to go.

1. For content I’d say 20% games 50% TV/Netflix, 30% movies on Apple TV

2. The screen will be 115” and we will sit 14’ back.
Your screen is too small and you are too far back to benefit from native 4K even for games. I'd just scratch native 4k as a feature off the list entirely.

Quote:
3. Stream HDR from Netflix and Apple TV movies only.
There is no tone mapping here on any of this stuff. HDR will be too dark on an x990 unless you get custom curves and are ok with switching them per hdr source.

Quote:
4. Room is completely light controlled although we watch a lot of sports with the lights on and will be using an ALR screen.

5. I’m only between the 990 and NX7. Leaning towards the 990 only because I know it’s such a good projector. Thoughts based on my responses?
I think in your case, I'd recommend you get an NX5. While 4K is not a factor, the HDR tone mapping is. Your screen is a black diamond 2 and you watch with lights on a lot so the benefits of the 990 in contrast is negated. The benefits of the NX7 contrast is probably minimal compared to the NX5 in your situation, again due to the screen and ambient light watching. The black diamond 2 screen is not the greatest fit in your case, but it's what you have, in my opinion. It's probably great for sports. The double gain / alr of the black diamond does some odd things to blacks in pure light controlled room. They sort of shine and are a little raised and deep at same time. I don't think the added contrast of the NX7 over the NX5 will be realized on your screen.

The 990 is probably out for you in my opinion due to being married to apple tv and using streaming for HDR and apple tv for movies, you need some tone mapping.

You can make due with a 990, but not sure what the price is compared to NX5 for you. The tone mapping is the main reason I suggest this. So in summary:

* 4K irrelevant for your seating distance / screen size
* You need tone mapping for your HDR sources
* You probably won't benefit hugely from higher contrast due to ambient light and black diamond screen is both gain and ALR and does some odd stuff to blacks anyway.

NX7 is fine as it has the tone mapping. NX5 in your case may be just as good so may as well save the money and go there.

If you're willing to replace your screen with a net gain 1.0 screen you may get better movie experience and benefit more from NX7 over NX5, but the day time sports watching will be less impressive. Although, low light in my room (over head lights on but dimmed) for superbowl looks "fine".

If you're willing to dump the apple tv, get a panasonic 820 and use its netflix app and tone map all netflix and move all movie watching to bluray disks where you can tone map, I'd say the 990 is better for you.

If you want to benefit from 4K, you'll need to move your seats up to about 7 feet from that smallish screen. The space in front of your main seating is probably just wasted space anyway. If you do that, then the gaming sharpness will greatly benefit from the NX5 or NX7.

This is just my opinion, but I'd go NX5 in your unique case and move the seating way up closer.

What to do with the empty space behind the couch? Move 2nd row of seating closer or build a snack chest:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snackchest-open.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	2468176   Click image for larger version

Name:	snackchest-closed.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	837.3 KB
ID:	2468178  

post #6655 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

Probably no benefit over MPC-HC. I have always used zoom player so have a lifetime license for it. I started using it back in the early days because it was more HTPC friendly than MPC at the time due to being better suited for control with arrow keys (mapped to remote buttons). The situation has changed and zoom player is probably not better. But I don't follow MPC-HC since zoom player is great for me. Therefore, I didn't realize the bluray support required 3rd party decrypting. I suppose any player can play blurays when that's taken care of.

post #6656 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
How does one preorder?
Contact one of the dealers such as mike at avscience, craig at avscience, perhaps cleavland plasma. The guys are in this thread. I'd email or phone them as I think today or tomorrow is the last day of preorder.

post #6657 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

What to do with the empty space behind the couch? Move 2nd row of seating closer or build a snack chest:

Thats super dangerous, I keep my candy cabinet out of reach on the other side of the room. I would be soooooo fat with it that close
post #6658 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Damn you diabetes!!!!! I can't see a single thing in that box that I can eat!
post #6659 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Damn you diabetes!!!!! I can't see a single thing in that box that I can eat!
There are some shelled peanuts underneath all the "good stuff" Lol

post #6660 of 13653 Old 10-13-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are some shelled peanuts underneath all the "good stuff" Lol
That's the ticket!!! Peanuts, almonds, and these bad boys... https://www.amazon.com/FBOMB-Fat-Bom.../dp/B079RLF145
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page