NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13017Likes

post #7201 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Based on the responses in this thread, I don't feel that I'm in a 1% to 5% group at all. In fact, it almost seems 50/50 to support similar usage to mine. I think part of the problem seems to be the perception that projectors are just for movies. As a sales rep for these, if that's your perception you're sure short changing these. I don't even watch 14 movies *a year* let alone per week and look at my projector usage. If the only good for these was watching movies, I probably wouldn't even have a theater.

What does this have to do with my usage in the theater? Are you suggesting I should be outside hiking from 11pm to 6:30 am every day? There are 24 hours in a day. How many of those hours are suppose to be spent out hiking or walking? You suggested 1 hour. I already walk outside 1 hour every day with my 3 dogs. Guess what? There are 23 more hours left in that day. Geez lol. Unbelievable.

If I'm working in the theater, the lights might be on or dim. Or the screen is primarily white background which lights the room ok. I often run my laptop on my lap with synergy installed so the projector can be controlled and works as a second monitor in a sense. Especially if one monitor is dedicated to a web browser for research or test.

I am working with my local dealer that doesn't sell many JVCs. (Doing this because he is taking my 675ES as trade in). My guess is my NX9 (again, he cant get the RS line only the pro line) is going to be here in December or January.
Based on all the years I have talked to customers, many of which do not post on AVSF, you are. AVSF people do not represent the average, when it comes to HT, closer to the extreme. I use my projector for TV and movies. I just do not game. I also up until this year had a son still at home that played soccer year around, so heavily involved in that. I still shot film for the soccer team this year, even though my son had graduated. I also attend a lot of college basketball games. I am in my theater watching season 3 of Daredevil right now. I also just finished binge watching two seasons of Designated Survivor.
enricoclaudio and Maddog56 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Sorry, I should have though it through better. It's 2500 hours a year not 3000. I average 7 hours a day probably 360 days a year, I don't go on vacations. I have several days a month that I exceed 7 hours (10 hours or so). I don't go to work (life is too short for that crap), if I do any work, the theater room listening to music is the best place to do it. I generally knock off for the day around 11pm and head to the theater until about 6:30 am when I go to bed.

Theater is used for much more than just movies. I watch all my TV in there, play all my video games in there, do most my software development in there, am typing this in there now.

Of my 2 friends, one is depressed and probably uses his projector 12 hours a day (also not working, but for reasons other than being retired). Other friend is self employed and does website development. On his projector he works 2-3 hours a day and watches 2-3 hours a day of TV.

I don't know anyone that has a projector that only uses it for a couple movies a week. Well I guess except you guys. The supposed enthusiasts
I just hit 1400 hours on my Panasonic AE3000, (which still looks better than my local cinemas) which works out to 1-2 movies a week. While that might disqualify me from membership in this forum, my friends all think I'm an audio/video/tech nerd, with credentials that go back to the largest TV available, a 19" Trinitron, played through my stereo (custom tube equipment) even then.

I find it necessary to get outdoors every day, and have spent the last 15 years trying to learn to play the saxophone. Oh, and books (lately ebooks, since I have to keep up the image of tech nerd) are good, too. Unfortunately, some of us have had to work. I've recently retired, though, and do admit to logging more screen time of late, and hence have been afflicted with upgradeitis.

However, whatever floats your boat. That's why they make 28 flavors (I know, that was a long time ago, more now). It's monomaniacal hard core enthusiasts that work out the kinks for the rest of us, and I wish them well, no sarcasm intended.
post #7203 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
That I can't help you with, but others in this thread can.

I am new to JVC. Waiting on my RS2000. So, this advice was given to me specifically for the new models.

However, that being said...

I am almost 100% certain it will work on most recently older JVC models. The only sticking point is that I *think* the older JVC models might be using IR 3D technology instead of RF.
All of the JVC glasses and emitter are backwards compatible. So the old IR glasses and emitter will work on the new projectors and the new RF emitter and RF glasses will work on the old projectors.
Ronald Epstein likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7204 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
"A Bat Cave" makes a lot of assumptions. If you can get your room pitch black dark at night or when you watch, then you will be fine with an ST100 and benefit from the JVC on/off contrast blacks. If you have any lights on in the room, sunlight in the window, etc, you wont. If you have a room that is pure dark light wise but has white walls and light colored carpet, you will still benefit from JVC's on/off contrast blacks. The only light source in this case is the projector and when the projector is black there's nothing really to reflect back onto the screen. What you'll lose here is in ANSI contrast (blacks vs whites on well-lit scenes). JVC's ANSI contrast is somewhat weak anyway, and people still think the contrast is incredible. So I have doubts as to whether or not this is helpful. I would be concerned with things that have lights like xbox controller chargers

Yes

My understanding was on the NX9 the lens was just too big and it didnt make sense to include it on the lower end but not the upper end projectors. Typically the entry level does not get a lens cover (the RS1000), the RS3000 lens was too big, so it wouldnt make sense to do it only for the RS2000 and have RS3000 owners all up in arms so they just bagged the feature.

The RS4500 does not have a lens cover. If you go look at the high end projectors, you will see that most do not have lens covers. Look at Sim2 and DPI.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #7205 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 4704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Based on all the years I have talked to customers, many of which do not post on AVSF, you are. AVSF people do not represent the average, when it comes to HT, closer to the extreme. I use my projector for TV and movies. I just do not game. I also up until this year had a son still at home that played soccer year around, so heavily involved in that. I still shot film for the soccer team this year, even though my son had graduated. I also attend a lot of college basketball games. I am in my theater watching season 3 of Daredevil right now. I also just finished binge watching two seasons of Designated Survivor.
I love Designated Survivor. Looking forward to Season 3 coming on Netflix

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7206 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Its not the quantity, its the quality......
I watched the latest Transformers movie last on it. So ... yeah... no quality as of yet, apparently.
post #7207 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I love Designated Survivor. Looking forward to Season 3 coming on Netflix
Same here. I started watching it and could not stop.
shs1234 likes this.
post #7208 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 4704
Quote:
Same here. I started watching it and could not stop.
If you haven’t, you should watch The Last Ship from TNT. Another great show airing its final season right now.
post #7209 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Some new impressions on the NX9-

http://www.mundodvd.com/jvc-d-la-go-...5/#post4284378

Quote:
Greetings to the forum

Yesterday I was able to approach by Ingevideo to see the new NX9.
I wanted to see the generational leap that JVC had given this year, being very aware that this model is far from my reach.

I tell you my impressions. It is not a review. To do a review I would have to have the machine in my room and with enough time to know and adjust it to my liking. But well ... if you do a collection and you give me one, I could make an effort.

Well, that. My first impressions
Keep in mind that a pre-series, with the first version of the firmware still in test phase. Even so, I saw it very, very, very drinkable.

I have been several times at Ingevideo and seen previous machines. So I have looked like in their room. Well, the NX9 was overwhelming leap. I do not even want to imagine how it could be done in my room and after it.

AT LAST! We have a full plug & play HDR mode.

They have implemented AUTO TONE MAPPING function, which, based on the nits, calculates the curve and adjusts the light. He did very well. I tried a movie at 4000 nits and adjusted the solo. It is no longer necessary to have some curves to see the UHD. It also has a clipping control function, which acts on each film. Depending on the nits measured in the recording, it calculates the gamma controls in this HDR (PQ) mode. Leaving these controls uneditable.

The only thing to configure, and has all the sense, is a slider to give or remove light (similar to what the players bring). Not all of us have the same light in projection (shot, state of the bulb, screen size ...). With this control you adjust it once and you would have to forget it. A perfect plug & play.
Oh, and these features will be brought by the N5 and N7.

About the projected image, I thought it was spectacular. CLEAN and clear. Above all: CLEAN. I am using all the sharpness controls of the jvs and the pana9000 player to Zero, to appreciate it well and without filters.
I am very sharp filters. With this image I like, but without applying filters. Giving him that cleaning.
The new sharpness control, I found very subtle. Nor do I see it as relevant now.
It is believed to have achieved the neatness of the PANA and acted on the image without any artifact or hardening.

I went to the screen and had a cleaning did Seemed close up.
For Example, an image of a blue sky, When the project with my RS520 and I approach, I see how the pixels have movement and are changing slightly blue tone. With this nothing. Uniform and with 0 noise.

As for the contrast, I noticed this model was less than mine. A floor of black not as low as my RS520.
So, my machine is a champion in that and in my dedicated and conditioned room shows.
Even so, it's noticeable that it's still a D-ILA, and much higher than the rest of the brands / models, in this aspect.

I tried the new eshift at 8K, gave it another plus plus clarity and acted very well on 4K material. It did not give the feeling of softness mimosina did gives me the eshift 4.

The movement with CMD (interpolator) in low, I liked it a lot. It gave a touch of softness without being cloying or liquid.

I tried several cuts of movies in UHD. Lucy, the Great Wall, Passengers, Smurfs 2 ...
So I wanted to try some movie in Bluray (1080p). It was very clean too.

But there is a big difference in watching a movie in UHD to see it in bluray format. A difference much more than the one I notice in my projector. It has become the implementation of the 4knative and climbed up to 8K.

Apart from the price, what it means is the size of the bug ... my mother. Price, size and weight are some things that take me away from me.

The noise of the fans I would say.

The player I had connected a panasonic UB9000, but I did not touch anything. I wanted to isolate the player, and focus better on what the projector gave.

In short, a very remarkable intra-gens jump. And what was this a preserial machine?

The N7 wants to go (which will take longer to leave).
The N7 wants the same electronics and functions, except for the lens and the 8k eshift.

Well, that. Pillaros one if you can, and if not ... DOS.
and

Quote:
At the moment in the pre-series, the dynamic iris of the equipment at 100% is not operative. The unit that is mentioned in the text is to RS 520 of a friend, a unit selected from his generation. In Spain, the Pro line distributor, delivers the pre-calibrated units that it offers through the final sellers, to advanced in home.

This RS, far surpasses native standard units. Here they are distributed with a specific seal called Cineline.

Returning to the issue of the Nx9, we are expecting a new firmware and version 1.1.

Last edited by Spizz; 10-19-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #7210 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
That was a remarkable read.

I am not a tech person. I am spending a ****load of money on a projector I did not want to get.

I never wanted into 4k. At least not a projector. This is a rich man's format.

"I would do it, " I thought, "If I was promised to see the difference between Blu-ray and 4k"

I can see it on my OLED night and day. I was not going to believe a projector would also take it to the next level.

So, I am waiting for my RS2000 and I am hoping the "sweet spot" projector will be good enough outside of the N9 and that I can appreciate picture quality even more than I am now.
Bruce N likes this.
post #7211 of 13653 Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Quote:
The noise of the fans I would say.
Thank you for finding this impression. I ran the page through the Microsoft translator to see if it had a different response:

Quote:
The noise of the fans I would say that it is similar to previous gens.
This sounds like JVC have achieved the Sony "calmness":

Quote:
For Example, an image of a blue sky, When the project with my RS520 and I approach, I see how the pixels have movement and are changing slightly blue tone. With this nothing. Uniform and with 0 noise.
David Mathews and ARROW-AV like this.

Last edited by dlinsley; 10-20-2018 at 12:02 AM.
post #7212 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Can anyone with access to one of these units and an AppleTV4K see how it deals with the Netflix Iron Fist series?

There is a issue with the metadata coming out of the ATV4K units when playing some content in HDR10 (which the ATV converts from DV stream received on the fly I believe) which results in wildly changing metadata every 30s if I recall right. It affects many titles but Iron Fist was always a dead cert.

This behaviour upsets the Lumagen Pro at the moment, and if the implementation in the projector is purely metadata based it will have the potential to also upset that.
post #7213 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
As for the contrast, I noticed this model was less than mine. A floor of black not as low as my RS520.
So, my machine is a champion in that and in my dedicated and conditioned room shows.
Even so, it's noticeable that it's still a D-ILA, and much higher than the rest of the brands / models, in this aspect.
Still pre-production so no iris so I think we can't assume that contrast is noticeably lower. But it's interesting, if I read the translation correctly, he still thinks the contrast is better than "the rest of the brands" such as epson and sony. even without the iris.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7214 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
276 hours in my HW40ES in 42 months!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
You're not allowed another projector.

Since we're are talking about this....
I have about 244 hours a year on mine over the last 9 years.

Last edited by theblackangus; 10-20-2018 at 03:38 AM.
post #7215 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Since were are being like this....
I have about 244 hours a year on my over the last 9 years.
I bet there's a correlation between those with low projector use and scope screens.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7216 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I bet there's a correlation between those with low projector use and scope screens.

Much to some of my friends angst... I'm rocking a 16:9 atm.

The theater gets more use, but If I'm listening to music I dont have the PJ on I have a seperate monitor to control the music from my HTPC.
And I generally dont play games on it, I can't stand 1080P gaming as I have had greater than 1080P since 2005 ish for gaming.

4k may change that once there is a card at a reasonable price that can hit 4k at 60FPS+. (And no none of the current cards = reasonably priced for me)
I would love some MW5 4k and some racing goodness at 4k on a big screen. (And someday VR when we get where its actually good)

Last edited by theblackangus; 10-20-2018 at 04:37 AM.
post #7217 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I'd love to know the dirt on what Ekki meant exactly by this:

Quote:
I'd rather wait for a standard device on the N5 before I publish my own article.

Otherwise, the typical excuses from JVCs because of pre-series, etc ... I want to avoid that. Unfortunately, I have had very bad experiences with this manufacturer (DLA-Z1) since the Kenwood acquisition.
(http://cine4home.de/forums/topic/heu...70/#post-11070)
Mmmmmm...

Let's consider the actual facts shall we?

The JVC DLA-Z1/RS4500 was a brand new first generation projector product, hence it was absolutely expected to have some bugs and technical performance matters that would need to be attended to post-launch. Any reputable AV professional should have expected this to be the case. Where in this particular instance there were, as expected, indeed a couple of issues, which were fed back to JVC... and guess what? JVC fixed all of them exceptionally quickly, literally only a matter of circa 5-6 weeks later. Furthermore, JVC continued to make improvements to the Z1/RS4500 with respect to various aspects via further firmware updates, producing IMO what was and is still overall without a doubt the best performing home theater/cinema native 4K laser projector costing less than 100K.

How do I know this? Because I personally received delivery of one of the very first production units of the JVC DLA-Z1/RS4500 and hence was the first to feedback the issues to JVC. JVC not only listened, but the head of technical for JVC Europe arrange to meet with me and showed up with the engineering team... they verified everything I had reported was accurate, not unique to those particular units, and then went about taking immediate action to rectify matters. So kudos to JVC for doing so! That's the truth of the matter here. IMO JVC should be complimented and congratulated, so to criticise them in this regard is just plain wrong! Especially given that the same cannot be said for the particular other manufacturer, whom Ekki is now so clearly biased towards it's becoming a joke. Seriously

By the way, the 1,000 bucks cash prize is still open with respect to anyone who can demonstrate to me that a calibrated SONY 885/760ES can produce 80,000:1 ON/OFF contrast performance... Just sayin'

woofer, cargen, OzHDHT and 5 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-20-2018 at 06:25 AM.
post #7218 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Thank you for the update. Weird how the news keeps getting modified...aren't these things already on a boat? Shouldn't they know what they shipped before today? I hope to get lucky as I have the NX 7 on pre-order with my dealer and he confirmed I was second on his list. So assuming he gets an allotment, I should be ok. Seems like there will be a lot of nervous pre-order customers hoping they got part of the first shipment.
With an original ETA for the end of October, one would assume they are already in transit if they were going by sea. It is possible that they are being shipped via Air which would be a much shorter transit.
Could you imagine a container of NX9s falling off a ship into the ocean?

Last edited by ProjectionHead; 10-20-2018 at 05:57 AM.
post #7219 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks for the update, Brian.

That last sentence seems to indicate efforts will be directed at prorating what initially arrives. The question I have is how is "equitably" determined? Presumably the company will employ an objective standard, but what is it? Will it be tender based on a percentage of the number of orders placed with each authorized merchant, if you know?
I am assuming the allocation is going out in order of the orders that JVC has received, but that is just an assumption. I couldn't get a concrete reply on whether my orders will be fulfilled in this initial batch or part of the delay. I'm optimistic we will receive units in the first allocation, if not perhaps I''ll take a drive over to JVC HQ and pull an Oceans 11 heist; it's only 20 minutes away
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #7220 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I never ever seemed to get much more than 1000 - 1200 hours out of my Sim2 lamps for my Lumis. And util I found bare lamps, Sim wanted $ 999.00 for the lamp assembly too. That's a chunk of change !
Craig,

It was very expensive really when I thought about what I had really spent on lamp assemblies with the three (3) Runco projectors I had over the years.
Just think about it buddy in only 10-years that's $10,000.00 Dollars for just lamp assemblies !!!
So if I simply took that figure which wouldn't even be close to the real monies spent over all the years.
You will I think appreciate what I'm going to say below on the JVC RS4500 laser projector.
Since I cannot say anything about what I paid for the New (Demo) RS4500 I just purchased nor can I show the invoice even with the pricing (Removed).
Received a (WARNING) already on the above so moving right along to what I think I can say.
Maybe I can say it like this, Cathy (Wife) honey if we simply take the $10K from what we just paid for the RS4500 do you realize it only cost us what we paid for those Runco Lamp Assemblies.
She looked at me and said get hold of …. ……. and tell him we will take it.

Terry
Craig Peer and Chris Kane like this.
post #7221 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
I am assuming the allocation is going out in order of the orders that JVC has received, but that is just an assumption. I couldn't get a concrete reply on whether my orders will be fulfilled in this initial batch or part of the delay. I'm optimistic we will receive units in the first allocation, if not perhaps I''ll take a drive over to JVC HQ and pull an Oceans 11 heist; it's only 20 minutes away
Hi brian, I'm really looking forward to visiting to check out the new projects when you get them in stock. Let me know if you need an extra man for rs heist.

JVC DLA-X990 (RS640) - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Panasonic UB820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #7222 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
If you haven’t, you should watch The Last Ship from TNT. Another great show airing its final season right now.
I will check that one out.
post #7223 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Some new impressions on the NX9-

http://www.mundodvd.com/jvc-d-la-go-...5/#post4284378

and
There is no way he is noticing a difference between 130,000:1 and 100,000:1. Has to be setup difference. Though he could be talking about fade to black/dark scenes. The lack of dynamic iris on the RS3000/NX9 would make a difference there.
Spizz, DavidHir, Manni01 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-20-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #7224 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
There is no way he is noticing a difference between 130,000:1 and 100,000:1. Has to be setup difference. Though he could be talking about fade to black/dark scenes. The lack of dynamic iris on the RS3000/NX9 would make a difference there.
You're probably right Mike, but remember that the 130,000:1 and 100,000:1 is peak native ON/OFF with next to no light output... what we really need to know here is what are the actual comparative ON/OFF contrast performances with typical light output usage levels, including with the irises wide open; and with both projectors having the dynamic contrast functionality operational. And we won't know what these are until some folks measure them properly, with both projectors brightness matched and via controlled conditions.

That said, IMO folks should certainly not be drawing any conclusions from a singular subjective opinion based on a pre-production unit that was operating without dynamic contrast functionality and probably had setup differences further to this. In other words it's probably an apple-versus-oranges comparison in more ways than one

Aztar35 likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-20-2018 at 07:00 AM.
post #7225 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
As far as the hour discussion goes, I watch about 1500 - 2000 hours per year on my OLED and am thinking of replacing it with an RS1000.

Stupid move?
post #7226 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 07:34 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Mmmmmm...

Let's consider the actual facts shall we?
I think you misunderstand me. We all know the Z1 wasn't right when it came out and they fixed it later. The tone of Ekki's message (which might very well be being misrepresented by Google translate) was that there was something out of kilter with his interactions with JVC. Perhaps it ended up badly... That is what I was interested in as I agree that it does seem like he has a bit of a Sony bias recently (which I find quite interesting in itself after all the panel degradation stuff, which I recall he was quite vocal about).

For my own part I'd been really pleased as punch with my old school X3 and X30, yet my X7900 (x2) experience leaves me a little deflated, It's a great machine, but all the stuff around the edges is annoying with it for not really much good reason. I hope they've really just been "nursing along the old dear" and these represent a new era, I'm really excited to see the new units.
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #7227 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I think you misunderstand me. We all know the Z1 wasn't right when it came out and they fixed it later. The tone of Ekki's message (which might very well be being misrepresented by Google translate) was that there was something out of kilter with his interactions with JVC. Perhaps it ended up badly... That is what I was interested in as I agree that it does seem like he has a bit of a Sony bias recently (which I find quite interesting in itself after all the panel degradation stuff, which I recall he was quite vocal about).

For my own part I'd been really pleased as punch with my old school X3 and X30, yet my X7900 (x2) experience leaves me a little deflated, It's a great machine, but all the stuff around the edges is annoying with it for not really much good reason. I hope they've really just been "nursing along the old dear" and these represent a new era, I'm really excited to see the new units.
No, I think you got it exactly right.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #7228 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6677 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:

I am not a tech person. I am spending a ****load of money on a projector I did not want to get.

"I would do it, " I thought, "If I was promised to see the difference between Blu-ray and 4k"

I can see it on my OLED night and day. I was not going to believe a projector would also take it to the next level.

So, I am waiting for my RS2000 and I am hoping the "sweet spot" projector will be good enough outside of the N9 and that I can appreciate picture quality even more than I am now.
The RS2000 will be no slouch I am sure
post #7229 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

JVC are crazy good looking projectors.. In 14 years I went through two optoma projectors one 720 and the other 1080 but when I switched to JVC it was game over.. Those 14 years it was never a hobby but now I'm completely hooked all because of the jvc rs520... If you have the money make the jump and go for the biggest and baddest but they are all absolutely amazing.. 3D is at another level..
post #7230 of 13653 Old 10-20-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
I am assuming the allocation is going out in order of the orders that JVC has received, but that is just an assumption. I couldn't get a concrete reply on whether my orders will be fulfilled in this initial batch or part of the delay. I'm optimistic we will receive units in the first allocation
Thanks so much for the update, Brian.

...just curious, is it likely you'll be getting any NX7s for demo? A projector comparison of NX7 with the X990 is something I'd like to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page