NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13016Likes

post #7801 of 13653 Old 10-26-2018, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 7603
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
what speakers are you using?
Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FX surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 ), two SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subs and
two SVS SB2000 subs .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 13653 Old 10-26-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Awesome experience for your guests, super impressive, a very thoughtful host!

All your BD and UHD movies are on a server accessed via your automation software I take it? I must look into that!
With a Mac and/or MakeMKV + Netflix and a Drobo you can do it very easily and erase when you have seen a movie....
Highjinx likes this.

Past: CRTs NEC/Runco, Barco 1208, 1209 Current: JVC RS-640, Stewart Cima Neve 123" Screen 92" Da-Lite
post #7803 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 190
v5 *(RS1000) and v7 (RS2000) demo impressions

Just got back from the JVC demo session showing the V5 and V7. The actual units (according to their packing boxes) were a US market RS2000 and a (White) Japan V5. The demo was on a tiny 110" 1.0 gain screen and all the demos where played way bright so It was nearly impossible to judge real world contrast. I would say that it would be much better in my room at more realistic brightness levels.

Overall impressions. Both projectors are pin sharp and show a really "clean" image compared to eshift. The pictures looked like a giant OLED most of the time. The Peru 8K demo was much better on the 7 than the 5 and kicked what I remember of seeing it on an LG. I suspect dialing it back a bit at home they are capable of a truly remarkable image. The 7 is noticeably better than the 5 in color coverage and contrast.

The person demonstrating is from the development team at JVC for the V5. I suspect more on the management side but did know his stuff. I will try to not repeat what we already know but here are my notes:

- Color coverage is advertised as 100% Rec 709 got the 5 and 100% DCI P3 for the 7. The filter in the 7 is set to cover only that and not go much wider, it covers R,G and B. the Z1 (RS4500) is designed to go wider but lost alot of light soing so. Switching the new filter in and out the brightness did not appreciably change, they said it is under 20% light loss. When asked about coverage vs lamp power the response was that the advertised coverage is for low lamp.

- When asked about why the lumen rating is different betwen the projectors, the 9 is because of the lens aperture, which we already know. the 5 and 7 is basically marketing. There is a small difference due to parts grading but not 100 lumens. One is rounded down the other up.

- The difference in contrast ratings is NOT just due to the dual iris. the 7 gets higher binned parts than the 5 AND a higher grade wire grid.

- The reason why the 5 and 7 are so large is because all 3 new units share the same chassis. it was not cost effective to make a separate chassis for the 9.

- Motion control algorithm is all new. The intent of Auto 2 is to remove 24fps judder and nothing more. it is indented to be not noticeable outside removing judder. In the demo it was smoother but did not fix all occurrences that are baked into the souece. There was only a couple of times where I thought I could see it but it is better than previous iterations. Auto 1 is, he said with a laugh, for 60fps sports.

- DI control is also all new. Also Auto 2 is the go to mode. The DI and scaling is done in an all new high powered ASIC developed in house that replaces something like 12 chips from the previous design. First the new DI is able to maintain pin point brightness like stars while lowered in the black floor. It was pretty impressive in the demo showing HDR material cycling DI on/off.

- There was no noticeable difference scaling using the JVC vs the Panasonic UB-900 used for the demo. the new scaler options has settings to assume 2K or 4K source just like before but renamed. The enhancement looked just as bad as always to me and it was off for the demos.

- Calibration software is due to be released at end of November when the units ship. The japan release date was confirmed to be end of November, with the emphasis on the end (ie probably last day of) Sensor support is unchanged. When I asked about them supporting something more in the middle price wise than the current two units he said maybe but really could not say.

- I asked about contrast ratings. the specc'd ratings is at long throw minimum iris. He would not say what they were wide open. Only tidbit is that the 7 will be better than the 5 even wide open.

- the auto tone-mapping works real well, but the adjustment range for screen size does not seem like it is anywhere near enough to me. on the tiny screen it was set to +2 with +6(or 7) the max. Now the demo was quite bright but still.

Finally I talked about how the ATV sends metadata derived from DV metadata for HDR-10 and that this changes per scene. They were not aware that the ATV did this. The processor in the JVC takes about 3 frames to adjust when the meta data changes so it might be an issue. They developed with UHD discs and made sure it worked for all the discs they looked at which was about half of all discs available. We won't know the impact of this until we get units in our homes, but it is looking like Auto tone aping ain't going to work that well. I got the impression from my discussion that they are duly aware of DV and HDR10+ though and they are looking at how to handle dynamic metadata.

Last edited by Purple X; 10-27-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7804 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
Just got back from the JVC demo session showing the V5 and V7. The actual units (according to their packing boxes) were a US market RS2000 and a (White) Japan V5. The demo was on a tiny 110" 1.0 gain screen and all the demos where played way bright so It was nearly impossible to judge real world contrast. I would say that it would be much better in my room at more realistic brightness levels.

Overall impressions. Both projectors are pin sharp and show a really "clean" image compared to eshift. The pictures looked like a giant OLED most of the time. The Peru 8K demo was much better on the 7 than the 5 and kicked what I remember of seeing it on an LG. I suspect dialing it back a bit at home they are capable of a truly remarkable image. The 7 is noticeably better than the 5 in color coverage and contrast.

The person demonstrating is from the development team at JVC for the V5. I suspect more on the management side but did know his stuff. I will try to not repeat what we already know but here are my notes:

- Color coverage is advertised as 100% Rec 709 got the 5 and 100% DCI P3 for the 7. The filter in the 7 is set to cover only that and not go much wider, it covers R,G and B. the Z1 (RS4500) is designed to go wider but lost alot of light soing so. Switching the new filter in and out the brightness did not appreciably change, they said it is under 20% light loss. When asked about coverage vs lamp power the response was that the advertised coverage is for low lamp.

- When asked about why the lumen rating is different betwen the projectors, the 9 is because of the lens aperture, which we already know. the 5 and 7 is basically marketing. There is a small difference due to parts grading but not 100 lumens. One is rounded down the other up.

- The difference in contrast ratings is NOT just due to the dual iris. the 7 gets higher binned parts than the 5 AND a higher grade wire grid.

- The reason why the 5 and 7 are so large is because all 3 new units share the same chassis. it was not cost effective to make a separate chassis for the 9.

- Motion control algorithm is all new. The intent of Auto 2 is to remove 24fps judder and nothing more. it is indented to be not noticeable outside removing judder. In the demo it was smoother but did not fix all occurrences that are baked into the souece. There was only a couple of times where I thought I could see it but it is better than previous iterations. Auto 1 is, he said with a laugh, for 60fps sports.

- DI control is also all new. Also Auto 2 is the go to mode. The DI and scaling is done in an all new high powered ASIC developed in house that replaces something like 12 chips from the previous design. First the new DI is able to maintain pin point brightness like stars while lowered in the black floor. It was pretty impressive in the demo showing HDR material cycling DI on/off.

- There was no noticeable difference scaling using the JVC vs the Panasonic UB-900 used for the demo. the new scaler options has settings to assume 2K or 4K source just like before but renamed. The enhancement looked just as bad as always to me and it was off for the demos.

- Calibration software is due to be released at end of November when the units ship. The japan release date was confirmed to be end of November, with the emphasis on the end (ie probably last day of) Sensor support is unchanged. When I asked about them supporting something more in the middle price wise than the current two units he said maybe but really could not say.

- I asked about contrast ratings. the specc'd ratings is at long throw minimum iris. He would not say what they were wide open. Only tidbit is that the 7 will be better than the 5 even wide open.

- the auto tone-mapping works real well, but the adjustment range for screen size does not seem like it is anywhere near enough to me. on the tiny screen it was set to +2 with +6(or 7) the max. Now the demo was quite bright but still.

Finally I talked about how the ATV sends metadata derived from DV metadata for HDR-10 and that this changes per scene. They were not away the ATV did this. The processor in the JVC takes about 3 frames to adjust when the meta data changes. They developed with UHD discs and made sure it worked for all the discs they looked at which was about half of all discs available. We won't know the impact of this until we get units in our homes, but it is looking like Auto tone aping ain't going to work that well. I got the impression from my discussion that they are duly aware of DV and HDR10+ though and they are looking at how to handle dynamic metadata.
Great post. Thanks!
Dave Vaughn likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #7805 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Thanks very much! Care to provide any final summation of your views of the N7 vs N5, to the extent you are deciding between them? The implication is there in your post but I want to make sure, as you are the first person in this massive thread to have hands on time with the N7, I believe.
alebonau likes this.
post #7806 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 547
That is it, if this delay goes much longer I am going to have to cancel my order and just get the new Christie Dolby Vision projector. Who cares if it is 50X the price of my RS2000 just can't wait. I am sure that will come out perfect

If your not watching the Ultra High End forum on this projector you may want to while you wait. Kind of fun waiting for Arrow's numbers to come in. Sounds amazing and even has extremely high contrast according to Art. Now if I can sell my house, wife, kids and dog I may be able to get it.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #7807 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6337 Post(s)
Liked: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
People need to relax and be patient. The new projectors will be here before we know it.
Might as well relax as you can not change anything by getting excited.
post #7808 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Finally I talked about how the ATV sends metadata derived from DV metadata for HDR-10 and that this changes per scene. They were not aware that the ATV did this. The processor in the JVC takes about 3 frames to adjust when the meta data changes so it might be an issue. They developed with UHD discs and made sure it worked for all the discs they looked at which was about half of all discs available. We won't know the impact of this until we get units in our homes, but it is looking like Auto tone aping ain't going to work that well. I got the impression from my discussion that they are duly aware of DV and HDR10+ though and they are looking at how to handle dynamic metadata.

Great. I am going to a demo next Monday :-)
post #7809 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

Do u think you'll be able to tell the sharpness from 14 ft away between the N7 and a 640? Let me know so can pre order again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7810 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 265
C'mon guys. Quoting an entire multi paragraph post is so wrong.
Brandon B, alebonau and brazensol like this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #7811 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Thanks very much! Care to provide any final summation of your views of the N7 vs N5, to the extent you are deciding between them? The implication is there in your post but I want to make sure, as you are the first person in this massive thread to have hands on time with the N7, I believe.
The N7 wins hands down but the difference is not vast as is reflected in the fairly small, relatively speaking, price difference. I’m gunning for the 7
Frohlich likes this.
post #7812 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

The N7 wins hands down but the difference is not vast as is reflected in the fairly small, relatively speaking, price difference. I’m gunning for the 7
As am I
post #7813 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Do u think you'll be able to tell the sharpness from 14 ft away between the N7 and a 640? Let me know so can pre order again.

To be honest, probably not. the most annoying thing about the demo with the room and setup was that I could not evaluate contrast. My home setup with a 4 year old x500r has better in room contrast, but is specced lower. So I’m sure that in the same environment the new projectors would win. They are certainly substantially brighter with less noise. The 640 is the same improvement in brightness over the x500r (4910)
post #7814 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Post Widescreen REVIEW October 2018 Magazine ...

Guys,

I think this is worth posting for those still looking into the New 4K projectors.

Look at the Front-Cover and you will note it is covering CEDIA Expo 2018 Part 1 - Video.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #7815 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11705 Post(s)
Liked: 9251
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
That is it, if this delay goes much longer I am going to have to cancel my order and just get the new Christie Dolby Vision projector. Who cares if it is 50X the price of my RS2000 just can't wait. I am sure that will come out perfect

If your not watching the Ultra High End forum on this projector you may want to while you wait. Kind of fun waiting for Arrow's numbers to come in. Sounds amazing and even has extremely high contrast according to Art. Now if I can sell my house, wife, kids and dog I may be able to get it.
Better keep the dog and the dog house, so that you have somewhere to mount it and someone to watch it with.
post #7816 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6337 Post(s)
Liked: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
Great. I am going to a demo next Monday :-)
Quote:
Boy are you guys lucky
post #7817 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
NX5 vs NX7 Based on what we know.

I have never seen a JVC projector in action. I have been following the forum for a few months, but it is difficult to get a handle on the differences many on the forum draw between different JVC projectors. When the new 4K projectors were announced many were concerned about contrast or black levels. As information trickles out it seems the NX7 may be acceptable in contrast and black level to folks who have owned a JVC projector in the past, but the NX5 is looking pretty average. Most on this forum have no interest in it. Obviously, true 4K resolution is a big deal, but if the NX5 is un-JVC like in contrast and the Auto Tone Mapping function does not seem destined to work all that well, does it make sense to buy an NX5 or is it just too limited?
post #7818 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar1 View Post
I have never seen a JVC projector in action. I have been following the forum for a few months, but it is difficult to get a handle on the differences many on the forum draw between different JVC projectors. When the new 4K projectors were announced many were concerned about contrast or black levels. As information trickles out it seems the NX7 may be acceptable in contrast and black level to folks who have owned a JVC projector in the past, but the NX5 is looking pretty average. Most on this forum have no interest in it. Obviously, true 4K resolution is a big deal, but if the NX5 is un-JVC like in contrast and the Auto Tone Mapping function does not seem destined to work all that well, does it make sense to buy an NX5 or is it just too limited?
That is not correct at all. The entry level JVC for the last several years has been rated 40,000:1 and the RS1000/N5 is 40,000:1, so exactly same rating. What we do not know is the iris fully open measurement. Some questioned if it would be worse than what the entry level has been in the past, but the few measurements that we have seen so far, show as good if not better contrast, when fully open, when compared to the E-shift entry level from the last few years. People want the RS2000/N7, because it has 80,000:1 and the DCI P3 color filter for HDR.
placematts likes this.
post #7819 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If the light loss with DCI P3 filter is 20% or less, I am pretty happy. Combined with the contrast, makes the RS2000 and RS3000 the models to get, if you can swing it. Though the RS1000/N5 is still going to be hard to beat at it's price point.
Purple X likes this.
post #7820 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Black level wise all 3 models should be the same, N7 and NX9 more lumens, and NX9 premium hand picked lenses. So any feedback on any of them, would imply to n5 as well, I mean in regards to black levels
Quote:
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #7821 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 793
NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post

It depends on how large your screen is. I am 12.5 ft from my 118” wide 2.40:1 screen which is the equivalent of watching a widescreen movie on a 135” 16x9. I am expecting a slight onscreen resolution increase / visual sharpness increase but if I had a scope screen that was equivalent to a 150” 16x9 at 12.5 ft I would likely see a much greater difference in going from my current eshift to the new 4K JVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #7822 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Black level wise all 3 models should be the same, N7 and NX9 more lumens, and NX9 premium hand picked lenses. So any feedback on any of them, would imply to n5 as well, I mean in regards to black levels

Do we actually know if the 9 series / RS3000 will be “hand picked lenses”. I have not heard that before and there is no known acceptance criteria for the hand picked vs normal production. The 9 series / RS3000 lens sounds like it will be incredible and I am very interested to see the reviews of the normal lens vs the 3000.

There is the possibility that there is no benefit to the 3000 lens if the normal lens can support the increased resolution and has uniform contrast and sharpness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #7823 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:

The N5 I saw did look to have elevated black levels, similar to the entry level eshift JVC. It was matched by the Epson 9300 which was a surprise, but when we tried to brightness match them by increasing the output of the 9300 to match (up the lamp and use a brighter colour profile), of course the black level of the 9300 elevated further. Even so, I would think that with some smaller screen sizes, some people may still want to use an ND filter with the N5 to reduce the black level down a bit. That was my main feeling anyway, and much the same as with the entry eshifter. Screen size was less than 3m width due to matching the throws of the other pjs to get a similar size image for split screen comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #7824 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That is not correct at all. The entry level JVC for the last several years has been rated 40,000:1 and the RS1000/N5 is 40,000:1, so exactly same rating. What we do not know is the iris fully open measurement. Some questioned if it would be worse than what the entry level has been in the past, but the few measurements that we have seen so far, show as good if not better contrast, when fully open, when compared to the E-shift entry level from the last few years. People want the RS2000/N7, because it has 80,000:1 and the DCI P3 color filter for HDR.
Mike, relative to HDR, is the limitation of the NX5 to a 709 color gamut a big disadvantage relative to the NX7's DCI P3 capability? I have an LG CF181D and the DI is on all the time. It works very well. Based on what I read on this forum it seems folks dismiss the DI of the JVC projectors. Why is that? If the DI works well and provides 4000,000:1 contrast ratio why would black levels be an issue for the NX5? I guess I am trying to understand how much better the NX7 is than the NX5. And maybe more importantly how much better the NX5 is than projectors not made by JVC.
post #7825 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
This is true every with jvc every year. The entry-level model is always excellent. The next step up is usually noticeably better.
If you’re someone who has the extra money Then maybe the 7 is the way to go. If most people only saw the 5
They would be trilled. I went with the 5 because it’s not far off from the 7 and there’s always lots of other things I need to spend my money on.
post #7826 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Liked: 2040
Quote:
Mike, relative to HDR, is the limitation of the NX5 to a 709 color gamut a big disadvantage relative to the NX7's DCI P3 capability?
Ricky measured the N5 at 93% coverage of P3 - it won’t be in any way limited to Rec709.
DavidHir and Manni01 like this.
post #7827 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
This is true every with jvc every year. The entry-level model is always excellent. The next step up is usually noticeably better.
If you’re someone who has the extra money Then maybe the 7 is the way to go. If most people only saw the 5
They would be trilled. I went with the 5 because it’s not far off from the 7 and there’s always lots of other things I need to spend my money on.
I have seen professional reviews of the X5900 that describe the blacks as "inky", and I thought the NX5 might be similar. Of course that perspective about the X5900 is not shared on this forum. Maybe we are talking great vs unbelievable.
post #7828 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Quote:

The N5 I saw did look to have elevated black levels, similar to the entry level eshift JVC. It was matched by the Epson 9300 which was a surprise, but when we tried to brightness match them by increasing the output of the 9300 to match (up the lamp and use a brighter colour profile), of course the black level of the 9300 elevated further. Even so, I would think that with some smaller screen sizes, some people may still want to use an ND filter with the N5 to reduce the black level down a bit. That was my main feeling anyway, and much the same as with the entry eshifter. Screen size was less than 3m width due to matching the throws of the other pjs to get a similar size image for split screen comparisons.
Interesting that you say it was matched by the Epson. I wonder how it compares to the Sony 295? I know the jvc has more features but at a full 1k more msrp. Tring to be patient to see reviews/comparisons
on the n5 vs 295. Wanting to upgrade from my Epson 4000. Wife has approved purchase!
post #7829 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Mike, relative to HDR, is the limitation of the NX5 to a 709 color gamut a big disadvantage relative to the NX7's DCI P3 capability? I have an LG CF181D and the DI is on all the time. It works very well. Based on what I read on this forum it seems folks dismiss the DI of the JVC projectors. Why is that? If the DI works well and provides 4000,000:1 contrast ratio why would black levels be an issue for the NX5? I guess I am trying to understand how much better the NX7 is than the NX5. And maybe more importantly how much better the NX5 is than projectors not made by JVC.

Probably not a big disadvantage. I would guess the RS1000 can do around 87% to 90% of DCI. The RS2000 will be able to do 100%. When you combine the added contrast and added color space, the differences add up.
post #7830 of 13653 Old 10-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I agree. The entry level JVC does not have as good of a black level as the as the next two models. The higher native contrast models have lower black floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page