NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13017Likes

post #9541 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
I understand Mike, but nothing was wrapped in plastic bags, cable ties for the power cord, etc. Its the packaging, or lack there of that makes me think it is a road show piece.
Notice the different packing tape on the box.. definitely appears to have been opened and re-sealed one or more times. Inside “wrap” is also not perfect as one would expect of a brand new piece. Surely a demo unit making rounds...
Spizz likes this.

Room: Purpose built theater ● Display: JVC Projector DLA-X770R ● Screen: Stewart 16:9 ● Speakers: Monitor Audio ● Audio: Denon 7200WA
Lighting by Lutron ● Control by AMX ● Racking by Middle Atlantic
Primary sources: Oppo BDP-103 CFW / Dune HD Solo 4k / Dune HD MAX / TiVO Bolt / Roku 4 / AppleTV 4
Disk array: Supermicro X9 / OmniOS + ZFS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
So weird that European and Japanese dealers have pushed back their dates into mid December and nothing from JVC USA. Asia and Europe gets prototypes to review and pass around like fruit cake...they get updates on delivery times and we get nothing. Throw us a bone here JVC. Somebody has to know something
Yes, but JVC have already confirmed to Mike and Craig that the European delays were just rumors. So if dealers are pushing back dates it is based on their best guess and rumors.

JVC has officially communicated to the US. They said that nothing is delayed yet. That they are working on a fix and they will communicate something when they have confirmation of a hard delivery date. They had hoped to update Mike Wednesday but that passed. So my guess is they still don't have the fix finished and that they will probably communicate hard delivery dates sometime next week.

Its anyone's guess if the shipments are delayed. My guess is that they are delayed but I don't think it will be by much, possibly 2 weeks or less. However I have no idea of the reality.
post #9543 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8422
Quote:
So are we expecting anything from JVC USA today or is it pretty much now waiting until next week. So weird that European and Japanese dealers have pushed back their dates into mid December and nothing from JVC USA. Asia and Europe gets prototypes to review and pass around like fruit cake...they get updates on delivery times and we get nothing. Throw us a bone here JVC. Somebody has to know something
I doubt it. Probably next week. Today is a good day to look for Blu-rays and 4K UHD Blu-rays on Black Friday special.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 10298
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I understand Mike, but nothing was wrapped in plastic bags, cable ties for the power cord, etc. Its the packaging, or lack there of that makes me think it is a road show piece.
Definitely a preproduction unit, since production units do not exist yet.
post #9545 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
So are we expecting anything from JVC USA today or is it pretty much now waiting until next week. So weird that European and Japanese dealers have pushed back their dates into mid December and nothing from JVC USA. Asia and Europe gets prototypes to review and pass around like fruit cake...they get updates on delivery times and we get nothing. Throw us a bone here JVC. Somebody has to know something
Preproduction units are here in the US also. I know of an RS3000 that has been making some rounds. Currently in CO.
David Mathews and Frohlich like this.
post #9546 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
Notice the different packing tape on the box.. definitely appears to have been opened and re-sealed one or more times. Inside “wrap” is also not perfect as one would expect of a brand new piece. Surely a demo unit making rounds...
The wrapping material looks barely draped on - not even wrapped and taped on. Demo unit for sure.
Spizz likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #9547 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5416 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
That's a good point. I have a gut feeling that it's going to be okay, as I don't even notice any glass beads on my screen when I'm standing really close to it. On my particular screen, the screen material is quite smooth. And my seating position is pretty far back. But I'll really have to see what it's like when I have the projector and everything set up.

BTW, what material is your sample? Is it a Da-Lite HP from way back in 2007? If so, you're more of a pack rat than I am.
i've had the 4K Sony VW1100 with the HP for 3 years, 4K content looks great on it. don't sell it until you see one of the e-shift or 4K JVC models with it. if you do sell it, send me a note when ready and i'll buy it right away.
smitty likes this.
post #9548 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The wrapping material looks barely draped on - not even wrapped and taped on. Demo unit for sure.
Hello everyone and thank you for this great thread.
Well I can tell you that this unit is a pre-production unit with firmware not definitive.
These are HCFR forum people who have been able to do tests but they are not allowed to publish the test for now.
post #9549 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked: 6761
Quote:
Its the packaging, or lack there of that makes me think it is a road show piece.
If it was a "early release" production unit I am sure there would be more then one user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizhspirit View Post
These are HCFR forum people who have been able to do tests but they are not allowed to publish the test for now.
Ya, they may want things hush, hush......
post #9550 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Awesome. But now you're going to get questions from everyone.

Of course, motion is a huge part, unless you plan on only watching stills. Was the Sony 570's motion better than the NX9's too? Did you view in controlled room? Was the 570's contrast on par with the NX5's?

Also, what stood out most with the NX9? Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Oh crap.....haha

No motion looked really good on the NX9, it was a batcave with some light coming in from the curtens entrance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
He never said the NX9 was as good in motion as the Sony, good yes but not as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
"no," which means the NX9's is at least as good or better.

J, so I went out and just actually demo'd the Sony 695ES in the same room/conditions I had demo'd the 675. I've seen many projectors and have a good point of reference when it comes to motion.

The 695 I saw today was projecting on a 120 SI screen negative gain screen; I asked the host to play some scenes that I was very familiar with and recalled were difficult on my X990 through which they appeared blurry on rapid movement. On the 695, I was able to see every detail continue in the scenes during the quick motion...very cinematic like shown in the best theaters/movie houses. I asked about processing and the host responded that all processing was turned down. I didn't see any soap opera effect at all but the motion rivaled some great DLPs I've seen. Weird. I just don't get it; both the X990 and this one are Lcos machines and both do about 300 lines native. Trust me, I never owned a Sony or am very familiar with the products. But I think this one may have an updated processor too 'cause not even the 675 looked like that. The motion was just excellent. So... anyway, the main point is that you saw both and suggested the NX9's motion was comparable. After spending time with the 695, I can understand why microwiz was adamant in his post. But I still say that what you saw speaks volumes of the NX9, given what we already know about its all glass 18 element lens. Now I really want mine yesterday.
post #9551 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
I had a High Power for a while, and those " hot beads " would occasionally beam at me, like a tiny lighthouse. It a quirk of those screens.
That's weird. I've never seen a "hot bead" or hot spots in my 12 years of use. Maybe I jsut got a "good one," or maybe I'm not that perceptive.
post #9552 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That's weird. I've never seen a "hot bead" or hot spots in my 12 years of use. Maybe I jsut got a "good one," or maybe I'm not that perceptive.
If I had my head at the right ( wrong ? ) angle, a tiny beam of light that was super bright would easily be visible. Might depend on the mounting height of the projector etc. whether you see this, or maybe different 2.8 gain High Power screens made at different times have slightly different surfaces.

post #9553 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 54
[QUOTE=Craig Peer;57142438]At 5pm I'm putting my Chicken Provencal in a 475F oven, and opening a bottle of 2005 Grand Veneur Chateauneuf-du-Oape Les Origines. So we better hear something before 5.

I like your style....wine and video....seen it pop up in a few posts.... this alone wis reason to stop going to movie theaters since they almost never serve wine....

Past: CRTs NEC/Runco, Barco 1208, 1209 Current: JVC RS-640, Stewart Cima Neve 123" Screen 92" Da-Lite
post #9554 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
And you are only looking at 1/2 the cellar in that picture.

I also like to cook multi-course dinner parties and pair them with that wine -

The theater is a good place to sober up the guests with a movie afterwards !
No, your matches are all wrong.... foie gras is ALWAYS served with a sweet wine like a Sauterne or Barsac. It really makes a huge difference. No wine with salad the acid of the dressing conflicts with the wine.... I am no sommelier but clearly I can help here. I might need to do some tastings first to be sure....
JeffR1 likes this.

Past: CRTs NEC/Runco, Barco 1208, 1209 Current: JVC RS-640, Stewart Cima Neve 123" Screen 92" Da-Lite
post #9555 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If it was a "early release" production unit I am sure there would be more then one user

Ya, they may want things hush, hush......
I just think that JVC asked them to coincide the release of the test with the commercial release of the NX9. But, they made it clear that it is a super spotlight.
post #9556 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I have a JVC RS-1 which I purchased in 2017, and I've been holding off for some time on upgrading it in anticipation of JVC offering a native 4K projector. The screen I have is a 120" inch wide Da-Lite Hi Power screen with a gain of 3.0. From what I've read, the brightness of the JVC projectors over the past few years is significantly greater than what it was with the RS-1.

My question is, if I were looking at upgrading to one of the new JVC 4k native projectors or one of the more recent discontinued JVC models that seem to be favored on this forum, is it possible that the image will be "too bright" with my screen gain of 3.0? Maybe it is a stupid question to ask if an image can be too bright, but I'm just trying to figure out for planning purposes if I'm going to be able to live with my current screen (which is in excellent shape) and put money into the projector, or whether I am going to have to replace both the projector and the screen.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

EDIT: FWIW, my screen is a widescreen screen and I zoom in to get a 2:35 to 1 image (no anamorphic lens) so I lose a little bit of brightness there possibly.
I have a 120" diagonal, 2.8 gain (it's not 3.0), 2.35 ratio Dalite HiPower screen, and brought home a new RS540 last week. It looks great with this screen and the high gain allows you to use the projector in low lamp mode, even in HDR, minimizing fan noise, and increasing lamp life. It also allows stopping the lens iris down, again, even in HDR, further improving contrast over its already terrific native contrast. In high power lamp mode, with the iris open, you can watch sports at parties with the lights on. I think the gain of this screen minimizes many of the problems that users have posted about dark HDR images. They are mostly watching larger, low or no gain screens (1.3 is low, 0.8 ridiculous). I believe that the esteemed Chad B., in his favorable review of the RS540 on the owner's thread, commented that he is using the Dalite HiPower screen, and found the RS540's HDR image close to ideal, right out of the box. That makes at least two of us.

To sum - the issue you are worrying about is a virtue, rather than a vice. Watch in low lamp if you have decent light control, and stop the iris down until the brightness is just right.
smitty and zombie10k like this.
post #9557 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
JVC are using the new magic tape. Only one long cut is required to release the box flaps from the box, the little cut across the tape to free the flaps from the box is no longer needed it would seem......

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #9558 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
doctormyeyes, thanks much. That's helpful.
post #9559 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Off topic question..... is there any location line on the information menu of the RS500 that differentiates between SDR/BT2020 and SDR/BT709? Thanks!

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #9560 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If I had my head at the right ( wrong ? ) angle, a tiny beam of light that was super bright would easily be visible. Might depend on the mounting height of the projector etc. whether you see this, or maybe different 2.8 gain High Power screens made at different times have slightly different surfaces.
I used a 2.8 gain HP for many years. I saw the same thing. I think you had to get the angle from lens to screen the same as from your eyes to the screen. Because, when I noticed this, I could move my head a slight bit and it would disappear. Funny thing, I did not notice this for several years, then after seeing it for the first time, I would aften times notice it. It was not a bead, because it would occur at different points on the screen.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #9561 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
i've had the 4K Sony VW1100 with the HP for 3 years, 4K content looks great on it. don't sell it until you see one of the e-shift or 4K JVC models with it. if you do sell it, send me a note when ready and i'll buy it right away.
What native 4K material was even available to watch back then? Do you remember taking any macro-shots of the 4K pixels on this screen to see how the texture interacted with them? Wish I could have gone bigger like your setup. Probably would have alleviated some of my issues.

Quote:
Funny you mention that. A few months back I was clearing out my desk and found envelopes from DaLite with samples of both the 2.4 and 2.8 material. I held them up to my 2.8 screen and neither matched my material. Not even close. So either my screen has degraded a lot over 15 years of being retracted and cleaned or there was a lot of variance in production of this material. The fact that some got them without the "hot" pixels also backs up this theory. Mine also has faint horizontal bands running through it but only visible at certain extreme vertical angles. It was a budget material optimized for high-ambient business projectors and priced accordingly (paid around $250 for mine). It was my first screen/projector so my expectations were low and I was satisfied with the results for the price.

Been bouncing between projectors the last few years so putting off screen upgrades until I'm ready to stick with a single projector for at least 2+ years. That hasn't happened since the JVC RS40.
post #9562 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
What native 4K material was even available to watch back then? Do you remember taking any macro-shots of the 4K pixels on this screen to see how the texture interacted with them? Wish I could have gone bigger like your setup. Probably would have alleviated some of my issues.

Funny you mention that. A few months back I was clearing out my desk and found envelopes from DaLite with samples of both the 2.4 and 2.8 material. I held them up to my 2.8 screen and neither matched my material. Not even close. So either my screen has degraded a lot over 15 years of being retracted and cleaned or there was a lot of variance in production of this material. The fact that some got them without the "hot" pixels also backs up this theory. Mine also has faint horizontal bands running through it but only visible at certain extreme vertical angles. It was a budget material optimized for high-ambient business projectors and priced accordingly (paid around $250 for mine). It was my first screen/projector so my expectations were low and I was satisfied with the results for the price.

Been bouncing between projectors the last few years so putting off screen upgrades until I'm ready to stick with a single projector for at least 2+ years. That hasn't happened since the JVC RS40.
My 2.8 gain HP screen is 13/14 years old (still have it, but not using it) and it had this problem. Like I said, it was not a specific bead. It had to do with the angle from lens to screen to eyes. Also owned the screen for many years, before ever seeing it.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 11-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
post #9563 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
My 2.8 gain HP screen is 13/14 years old (still have it, but not using it) and it had this problem. Like I said, it was not a specific bead. It had to do with the angle from lens to screen to eyes. Also owned the screen for many years, before ever seeing it.
I have several of these hot pixels but I have to sit at just the right spot to see them. They can disappear just moving my head slightly so very angle dependent as you indicated. I have projector shelf mounted slightly above my head.

I also didn't see mine initially so makes me think they were caused by wear of the screen due to cleaning and/or retraction. I already tried wiping them away without success. I see none on any of the samples regardless of angle. Like I said, it's all compromises - there is no ultimate screen material for all situations and setups. If we had unlimited projector brightness, I'm sure we would all try to find the most "invisible" material possible.
post #9564 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 3601
Quote:
NEVER have seen this once in any of the 4 seats of my couch with my 2.8 in the 8 years I've owned it. I'm using a fixed frame (not a roll up screen) if that makes any difference.
post #9565 of 13653 Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
NEVER have seen this once in any of the 4 seats of my couch with my 2.8 in the 8 years I've owned it. I'm using a fixed frame (not a roll up screen) if that makes any difference.
My screen is a roll-up, and I've never had any problems. It's always up when not in use. At the time, the screen had many followers and some prominent rave reviews. Obviously different highly observant users have had different experiences. We'll probably never know what accounts for the difference - whether screen consistency, or perhaps bead wear or clumping after washing. Or maybe the people seeing sparkles have early cataracts. FWIW I've never cleaned mine except for a small spot with water and a QTip. Got away lucky.

Those of us with good ones aren't getting rid of them so fast. You would think that at some point somebody interested in selling a lot of screens would figure out the magic formula.
Toe likes this.
post #9566 of 13653 Old 11-24-2018, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Yes they are some bright like original, but you must buy "High Diamon" who is special for JVC and not they "Black Diamond" .Black Diamond is 3D universall glasses who works with JVC too but they are a bit darker compare to High Diamon and lighter than origibal Epson glasses if you have Epson projector.

They are incredibly lighter than original JVC. :-)
Thanks for the information. Can you link to the "High Diamond" product required for the new JVC's?
post #9567 of 13653 Old 11-24-2018, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Thank u Riddle.. On most brands that are not from JVC you lose ten percent brightness..Do you know if we this brand you still lose percent brightness?

They are claiming super bright image whatever that means..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv View Post
Thanks for the information. Can you link to the "High Diamond" product required for the new JVC's?

RF Pro High Diamond | 3D glasses for JVC projectors | 90° polarized

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rf-pro-hi...-900-polarized

RF Pro Gift-Bundle for JVC Projectors [High Diamond]

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rf-pro-gi...s-high-diamond
jorgebetancourt likes this.
post #9568 of 13653 Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
RF Pro High Diamond | 3D glasses for JVC projectors | 90° polarized

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rf-pro-hi...-900-polarized

RF Pro Gift-Bundle for JVC Projectors [High Diamond]

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rf-pro-gi...s-high-diamond
I ordered these months ago.

Had to have them delivered to the States. Took a few weeks to arrive. They arrived in good condition.

Looking forward to seeing how well these work with the new JVC models.
riddle likes this.
post #9569 of 13653 Old 11-24-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I have several of these hot pixels but I have to sit at just the right spot to see them. They can disappear just moving my head slightly so very angle dependent as you indicated. I have projector shelf mounted slightly above my head.

I also didn't see mine initially so makes me think they were caused by wear of the screen due to cleaning and/or retraction. I already tried wiping them away without success. I see none on any of the samples regardless of angle. Like I said, it's all compromises - there is no ultimate screen material for all situations and setups. If we had unlimited projector brightness, I'm sure we would all try to find the most "invisible" material possible.
I saw these bright spots before I ever cleaned the screen. And yes, the angle from projector to eyes had to be the exact opposite of eyes to screen. Move my head any at all and it would disappear.
post #9570 of 13653 Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
I ordered these months ago.

Had to have them delivered to the States. Took a few weeks to arrive. They arrived in good condition.

Looking forward to seeing how well these work with the new JVC models.
I ordered them on Oct 10th just got them today wasn't really impressed with reply I got when I emailed them to ask were they were did u have to sign to get yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page