NEW JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 Native 4K Projectors Anticipation Thread - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13017Likes

post #9631 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6959 Post(s)
Liked: 8222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
They were supposed to be available for sale in late October originally though. Then that changed to landing, as you say, in late November. My excitement that began back in September is now waning.
You should be extra excited that they are spending extra time polishing the light engines and buffing the cases. And perhaps dialing in the firmware, just right.
Tom Bley and Frohlich like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I absolutely love my ( not perf'd ) StudioTek 130 screen. It provides a razor sharp image with just the right amount of gain. That's probably why they are used for projector demos at Cedia so often. I've seen the micro perf version in home theaters and they look very good. Get a sample.

The first thing to do is decide whether you are going with an AT screen or not - sounds like you aren't sure.

Definitely get a sample.. different people sensitive to different things. I can see DI pumping, but doesn't bug me much. Never seen a rainbow, so they definitely dont bug me. But sparkles...

Loving brightness like you, was really excited about gain on 130. Then when I saw it in action, i couldn't stop looking at sparkles in highlights. To me, it was like mustard on a white shirt, hard not to stare at. Understand I may be in minority based on great reputation of 130.

Still tempting, I may get a sample and try again someday in my home environment. After awhile might be able to ignore the mustard, er I mean sparkles, and focus on what film is saying lol
Justin Morgan likes this.

Dave
post #9633 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
You should be extra excited that they are spending extra time polishing the light engines and buffing the cases. And perhaps dialing in the firmware, just right.
I was hoping they would have taken care of all that sooner. Well, I respect your pep talk and it helped. Thanks. Emotional intelligence is a real thing. I get that there's been less and less tech talk and more and more anticipation going on, and I'm sorry for my part. One member may have even "ignore listed" a whole lot of us and I feel bad for him if he did that and missed out on info.; but the reality is we can only speculate so much.

Moving on, let's hope for some good news next week.
Mike Garrett likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Definitely get a sample.. different people sensitive to different things. I can see DI pumping, but doesn't bug me much. Never seen a rainbow, so they definitely dont bug me. But sparkles...

Loving brightness like you, was really excited about gain on 130. Then when I saw it in action, i couldn't stop looking at sparkles in highlights. To me, it was like mustard on a white shirt, hard not to stare at. Understand I may be in minority based on great reputation of 130.

Still tempting, I may get a sample and try again someday in my home environment. After awhile might be able to ignore the mustard, er I mean sparkles, and focus on what film is saying lol
Your particular setup might also have effected how your screen looked ( much more lens shift vs a lower projector with minimal lens shift = more sheen ? ). It's true you can see a bit of shimmer at times on the very brightest parts of the picture on my ST130. Doesn't bother me. Every time I see a Studiotek 100 used for a demo at CES or Cedia, I can tell it's not a ST130 right away. It looks dull to me. And every VW5000 at Cedia on an AT screen looked slightly soft picture wise to me. All 5 of them. I'm used to super sharp and very bright. That's what I like - and it took me a decade to get there ( no projectors were ever bright enough until relatively recently ). Some people prefer better center channel location. You have to pick your poison !
David Mathews and OzHDHT like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #9635 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fan noise in the new JVC 4K projectors

I am considering a purchase of the NX7 projector, when they become available. Most of the recent JVC projectors, like the X7990R, have listed noise levels of 21 db when lamp is in low mode. I have heard them at dealers and their fan noise is quiet. I am one who hates loud fan noise in projectors and it is a deal breaker in my theater room. No where can I find listed the fan noise levels for the NX7, the NX5 or NX9. It is not listed in either the brochures or under specification in the owner's manuals. I am a little suspect that the fan noise level is left out on all three new projectors.
post #9636 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo2 View Post
I am considering a purchase of the NX7 projector, when they become available. Most of the recent JVC projectors, like the X7990R, have listed noise levels of 21 db when lamp is in low mode. I have heard them at dealers and their fan noise is quiet. I am one who hates loud fan noise in projectors and it is a deal breaker in my theater room. No where can I find listed the fan noise levels for the NX7, the NX5 or NX9. It is not listed in either the brochures or under specification in the owner's manuals. I am a little suspect that the fan noise level is left out on all three new projectors.

I believe Mike Garret stayed it was 24dB in low lamp. A 3dB increase will likely be perceptible but it’s probably not a deal breaker for me since the old 21dB fans were so quiet.

I agree with you as I have a very quiet theater but my projector is mounted on the ceiling over the second row of seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #9637 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I was hoping they would have taken care of all that sooner. Well, I respect your pep talk and it helped. Thanks. Emotional intelligence is a real thing. I get that there's been less and less tech talk and more and more anticipation going on, and I'm sorry for my part. One member may have even "ignore listed" a whole lot of us and I feel bad for him if he did that and missed out on info.; but the reality is we can only speculate so much.

I know it's tough waiting for new gear. Still, better for JVC to take more time to get things right. After 16 years in home theater, and multiple Cedia's and CES trips ( not to mention a cellar full of wine that takes 10+ years to be ready to drink ), " good things are worth waiting for " !!
OzHDHT, JeffR1 and GregCh like this.

post #9638 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Your particular setup might also have effected how your screen looked ( much more lens shift vs a lower projector with minimal lens shift = more sheen ? ). It's true you can see a bit of shimmer at times on the very brightest parts of the picture on my ST130. Doesn't bother me. Every time I see a Studiotek 100 used for a demo at CES or Cedia, I can tell it's not a ST130 right away. It looks dull to me. And every VW5000 at Cedia on an AT screen looked slightly soft picture wise to me. All 5 of them. I'm used to super sharp and very bright. That's what I like - and it took me a decade to get there ( no projectors were ever bright enough until relatively recently ). Some people prefer better center channel location. You have to pick your poison !
Craig, I would be curious your observations on the Cima screen we both have vs. the 130.

Past: CRTs NEC/Runco, Barco 1208, 1209 Current: JVC RS-640, Stewart Cima Neve 123" Screen 92" Da-Lite
post #9639 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
... One member may have even "ignore listed" a whole lot of us and I feel bad for him if he did that and missed out on info.; but the reality is we can only speculate so much.

52+ plus 10 to 15 new ones in this thread only! Haven't missed a thing!! (the clueless don't know anything)!!!
post #9640 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b View Post
Craig, I would be curious your observations on the Cima screen we both have vs. the 130.
They are really close. I think the ST130 is slightly finer grained surface texture wise. The gain isn't as far apart as the advertised number suggests I don't think. I do the ST130 has a little bit smoother " more refined " picture for quite a bit more money. ST130 = cost no object. Cima Neve = best bang for the buck.
OzHDHT and laguna_b like this.

post #9641 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
They are really close. I think the ST130 is slightly finer grained surface texture wise. The gain isn't as far apart as the advertised number suggests I don't think. I do the ST130 has a little bit smoother " more refined " picture for quite a bit more money. ST130 = cost no object. Cima Neve = best bang for the buck.
I have a ST130 micro perf 150" curved scope and currently using an X9900 on low lamp, I have heaps of light. Ive had many woven screens and I will NEVER go back, this ST130 micro perf produces and amazing bright and very sharp image. Everyone who has seen it cant believe how much better the image looks over the woven screens I have had in the past. I cant say enough about the ST130 microperf, I had every sample out there, woven and micro and none were as good as the ST130. I dont like the price of them, but after the initial sting, I would never ever go back to any of the other brands...
Tom Bley likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #9642 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I have a ST130 micro perf 150" curved scope and currently using an X9900 on low lamp, I have heaps of light. Ive had many woven screens and I will NEVER go back, this ST130 micro perf produces and amazing bright and very sharp image. Everyone who has seen it cant believe how much better the image looks over the woven screens I have had in the past. I cant say enough about the ST130 microperf, I had every sample out there, woven and micro and none were as good as the ST130. I dont like the price of them, but after the initial sting, I would never ever go back to any of the other brands...
I installed a JVC RS540 in a house in South Lake Tahoe that had a ST130 micro perf in an existing theater, and I thought it looked great. In fact, at first I didn't even realize it was an AT screen, until it dawned on me.
Tom Bley likes this.

post #9643 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hard to believe there could be any technical issues this late in the game! For the kind of engineering, manufacturing, testing, and QA that would have to go into a product like this.... technical issues discovered now would seem to spell delays on the order of months to re-engineer and resolve.

I’d, instead, be expecting more logistics type delays at this point - dealer allocations, shipping, customs, paperwork ...

I guess we’ll see.

- J

Room: Purpose built theater ● Display: JVC Projector DLA-X770R ● Screen: Stewart 16:9 ● Speakers: Monitor Audio ● Audio: Denon 7200WA
Lighting by Lutron ● Control by AMX ● Racking by Middle Atlantic
Primary sources: Oppo BDP-103 CFW / Dune HD Solo 4k / Dune HD MAX / TiVO Bolt / Roku 4 / AppleTV 4
Disk array: Supermicro X9 / OmniOS + ZFS
post #9644 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
Hard to believe there could be any technical issues this late in the game! For the kind of engineering, manufacturing, testing, and QA that would have to go into a product like this.... technical issues discovered now would seem to spell delays on the order of months to re-engineer and resolve.

I’d, instead, be expecting more logistics type delays at this point - dealer allocations, shipping, customs, paperwork ...

I guess we’ll see.

- J
For the record, no one except JVC knows why the delay. However, there have been previous years where they said the projectors would ship on X date, and they were late. One year they shipped right before Xmas. So, it's not like they haven't shipped late before. Other manufacturers ship / release product late too. Just the way it is. hell, I'm still waiting on Avatar 2. Just how many years does it take to make a damn sequel ?

post #9645 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Preproduction units are here in the US also. I know of an RS3000 that has been making some rounds. Currently in CO.
Who and where in Colorado is this Preproduction unit? I would love to have a chance to view this RS3000.
post #9646 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You cannot directly de-select the filter. Any time you select a colour profile that does not require the filter (such as Manni’s Rec709NF or BT2020NF) th projector automatically de-selects the filter. Same with selecting it.
I don't have any of Manni's curves in my PJ. I do have custom HDR/SDR BT2020 curves prepared by Chad B. which don't use gamma D. Would these de-select the filter, as well?
post #9647 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I'm not aware of any that bypass the filter. Especially on the forum that try to get as much performance out as possible. I have heard that without the filter, the JVC can get up to 93% of the WCG compared to 99% with the filter.
Just out of curiosity, will the middle aged human eye actually perceive a difference in image reality by "only" seeing 93% of WCG, when compared with 97%, in the typical home theater of the posters here??? There is at least one ophthalmologist who monitors this thread, so maybe he could enlighten us. If not, then it would seem to be merely chasing (unobtainable) perfection......
post #9648 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12502 Post(s)
Liked: 10126
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Great. How is the acoustic attenuation and how was mounting it? It seems like the groove-based installation could be tricky and result in uneven tension.
Less than 1.5db attenuation and it is pretty uniform. As for even tension, just the opposite. The grip rail system is much better for even tension than snaps, bungee cords or O-rings. When using a snap, bungee cord or O-ring, you have point loads, with less tension between the points. With grip rail the tension is close to 100% along the whole rail.
sunPin likes this.
post #9649 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
... hell, I'm still waiting on Avatar 2. Just how many years does it take to make a damn sequel ?
Haha, LOL. Nice!

- J

Room: Purpose built theater ● Display: JVC Projector DLA-X770R ● Screen: Stewart 16:9 ● Speakers: Monitor Audio ● Audio: Denon 7200WA
Lighting by Lutron ● Control by AMX ● Racking by Middle Atlantic
Primary sources: Oppo BDP-103 CFW / Dune HD Solo 4k / Dune HD MAX / TiVO Bolt / Roku 4 / AppleTV 4
Disk array: Supermicro X9 / OmniOS + ZFS
post #9650 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Just out of curiosity, will the middle aged human eye actually perceive a difference in image reality by "only" seeing 93% of WCG, when compared with 97%, in the typical home theater of the posters here??? There is at least one ophthalmologist who monitors this thread, so maybe he could enlighten us. If not, then it would seem to be merely chasing (unobtainable) perfection......
Probably not, but I should actually do the test myself. I heard that uhd bd cover between 90-95% of WCG anyways.
post #9651 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4875 Post(s)
Liked: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I don't have any of Manni's curves in my PJ. I do have custom HDR/SDR BT2020 curves prepared by Chad B. which don't use gamma D. Would these de-select the filter, as well?
The filters are automatically selected/de-selected based on the Colour Profile, and are indendent of the curves.
post #9652 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra1g View Post
Interesting. My current screen is a Seymour XD, and now that I've preordered the NX7, I've started thinking XD might not cut it for 4k. I made some inquiries this morning about getting samples of Seymour UF, Enlightor 4k, and the V6. Sounds like two of those may have been a waste of time.
I have used XD, Enlightor 4K and V6, along with a few other AT screens. V6 is what I currently use.
cra1g likes this.
post #9653 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
For the record, no one except JVC knows why the delay. However, there have been previous years where they said the projectors would ship on X date, and they were late. One year they shipped right before Xmas. So, it's not like they haven't shipped late before. Other manufacturers ship / release product late too. Just the way it is. hell, I'm still waiting on Avatar 2. Just how many years does it take to make a damn sequel ?

Craig, I might have a chance to get the Sony 885ES for a real good price. Since you have the 45000 do you think its better for me to go with a Sony laser or the RS3000? Aside from lamp life is there any other inherit benefits to laser projectors?
ack_bk likes this.
post #9654 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Just my two cents. The Seymour XD is rated to 4K on their site and I used it with a Sony 4K projector and I thought it looked great and showed the 4k detail just fine. Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy looking for a new toy
You need to compare the XD to UF, EN4K, NEO or V6. You will find all of these fabrics much better than XD. XD does have an advantage in gain, but nothing else. Also the gain advantage of XD is very small over V6.
post #9655 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
They were supposed to be available for sale in late October originally though. Then that changed to landing, as you say, in late November. My excitement that began back in September is now waning.
They were never stated as available for sale, late October. When JVC says shipping at the end of october, they always mean arrive at west coast then. At least that is how it has been for the last several years.
post #9656 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post
I am considering using a Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen with the upcoming N7. My screen right now (Jamestown) is mounted on the wall with center channel below, but I've had thoughts of building a baffle wall and moving the speakers behind the screen at some point in the future.

I have a question for those familiar with that screen material. How noticable is the AT microperf option? If I never end up actually using it, it would be a shame to compromise on image quality. Would I be better off just getting the 130 without microperf? Is there a better performing AT screen material option to consider?

Thanks! Beyond excited for the N7, I have upgraded almost everything else in the theater in anticipation
What is your planned viewing distance? You need at least 12' viewing, if using microperf. Also you will lose 10% brightness, due to the perf.
post #9657 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
The material has very little stretch, so just a little tension with one hand pulling it to the outer edge of the frame and then using my other hand with the Betty Crocker pizza cutter to insert into the groove was not too hard. That cutter has a very bendy wheel though, and so I needed to straighten it a couple of times but it worked. The wheel needs to be thin, but if I ever need to take it down and remount, the wheel that came with my $15 pizza stone from Lowes is as thin but much stiffer. I used that wheel on samples of Fabricmate track without issue.

I took REW measurements for 20-20k sweeps for both screens, but they are very noisy and I need to redo them. Subjectively I'd say there is less attenuation in the treble though. I only use ARC (on my Anthem 1120) to 250Hz, which doesn't affect the drivers behind the screen, so I did not rerun to see how it sees things as having changed. If I find time I will do that too.
I just used one of our pizza wheels from our kitchen. Worked great.
post #9658 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Probably not, but I should actually do the test myself. I heard that uhd bd cover between 90-95% of WCG anyways.
That brings up the question as to how faithful the UHD Blu-Ray color space is relative to the cinematographer's initial rendering, as I'd guess that should be the "gold standard". I don't know how to obtain that information.
post #9659 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
Jvc put out a different polarity then other projectors but this only matters if the screen holds the polarity what is ur screen material hopefully someone knows if it does or not
It is not that JVC used a different polarity than other manufacturers. JVC maintained polarity all the way through the design. By doing this, you lose less brightness, if your screen retains polarization and you use the matching glasses. So you get brighter 3D. The drawback is, it costs you brightness if you use the wrong glasses, with a screen that retains polarization and you have changing brightness, depending on head position.
post #9660 of 13653 Old 11-25-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I believe Mike Garret stayed it was 24dB in low lamp. A 3dB increase will likely be perceptible but it’s probably not a deal breaker for me since the old 21dB fans were so quiet.

I hope this isn't the case. Every 3dB increase doubles the volume of fan noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
eshift , Jvc , native 4k , projector , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page