AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Shopping For A Projector.....$5-$8k (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3000390-shopping-projector-5-8k.html)

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 05:25 AM

Shopping For A Projector.....$5-$8k

I recently picked up a Vizio P Series Quantum for the living room and WOW, the picture is amazing. I've never seen a set this bright, and watching videos in HDR is stunning.

I'm actually so impressed by it, that I thought about getting it for my main HT display in our dedicated media room to tide me over for a while. I don't have anything in there currently.

What's stopping me is that I have a decently large budget ($5k-$8k) for a projector that will go in that space, and a seating distance of about 12 feet.

Is there anything out now that is larger than the the Quantum 65, that will produce a better image and get just as bright with HDR content? An "*" on that statement is that I game quite a bit, so input lag is important.

I'm looking at both projectors and direct view displays as well. Maybe Cedia will have something? I've often heard that projectors aren't that great at HDR content due to brightness/no control over individual pixels. That true?

markmon1 09-02-2018 06:16 AM

JVC just announced a new line of 4K projectors that are in your price range that will ship at end of October. I'd not buy anything now and wait for those. They have HDR tone mapping built in. You'll want to have a light controlled room to benefit from the deep blacks the projector can produce. See the JVC n5/n7/nx9 anticipation thread that keeps popping up on the front page of the active posts forum for details. Especially for gaming, you can see the fine details in games way more in 4K than in tv/movies. The large screen will not be as bright as your HDR tv, but it will show off the fine details of 4k games way better.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 06:34 AM

Shopping For A Projector.....$5-$8k

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmon1 (Post 56739130)
JVC just announced a new line of 4K projectors that are in your price range that will ship at end of October. I'd not buy anything now and wait for those. They have HDR tone mapping built in. You'll want to have a light controlled room to benefit from the deep blacks the projector can produce. See the JVC n5/n7/nx9 anticipation thread that keeps popping up on the front page of the active posts forum for details. Especially for gaming, you can see the fine details in games way more in 4K than in tv/movies. The large screen will not be as bright as your HDR tv, but it will show off the fine details of 4k games way better.

Gotcha. This is in a dedicated room, totally light controlled. Is it known if input lag will be under 30ms for these projectors?

I see those new JVCs will be lamp based. Any chance some laser based will be out?

markmon1 09-02-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56739186)
Gotcha. This is in a dedicated room, totally light controlled. Is it known if I put lag will be under 30ms for these projectors?

I see those new JVCs will be lamp based. Any chance some laser based will be out?

4k Lasers are not available anywhere near your price range for a few years. The lag is around 25ms in game mode. Should be great.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmon1 (Post 56739222)
4k Lasers are not available anywhere near your price range for a few years. The lag is around 25ms in game mode. Should be great.

Thanks, just curious..it’d take what, $15k to get a 4K laser?

markmon1 09-02-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56739270)

In the USA you are looking at $25k to start and the native contrast ratio is about 15000:1 compared to the jvc low model at 40000:1 and mid model at 80000:1. The Sony 885es does good with fade to blacks with its laser dimming but space scenes will be very grey vs the inky plasma like blacks on the jvc models.

My last jvc lamp was at 3000 hours when I sold the projector and I measured almost no lumen loss at that. Lamps can be pretty good.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmon1 (Post 56739300)
In the USA you are looking at $25k to start and the native contrast ratio is about 15000:1 compared to the jvc low model at 40000:1 and mid model at 80000:1. The Sony 885es does good with fade to blacks with its laser dimming but space scenes will be very grey vs the inky plasma like blacks on the jvc models.

My last jvc lamp was at 3000 hours when I sold the projector and I measured almost no lumen loss at that. Lamps can be pretty good.

Got it. Understood. Thanks!

BIGmouthinDC 09-02-2018 09:45 AM

Can you get to San Diego this week? you can see what JVC, Sony, Epson have to offer. Many people are happy with the Sony true 4K entry level projectors in your price range.

markmon1 09-02-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC (Post 56740070)
Can you get to San Diego this week? you can see what JVC, Sony, Epson have to offer. Many people are happy with the Sony true 4K entry level projectors in your price range.

The specs on the new jvc 4k even the very lowest model (N5) sort of destroy the Sony specs of the first two models (295es and 695es) in my opinion. Sony is in real trouble this round.

12GAGE 09-02-2018 02:41 PM

Lots of good choices. I would wait until the N5 and N7 JVC models hit the street. I think those will be the best value in the price range you mentioned. Sony units are good as well but JVC seems to have jumped ahead with these offerings.

Ruined 09-02-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56739270)

Optoma offers the UHZ65 4K UHD Laser for under $4000. Recently a forum member sold their JVC X990 because they liked the UHZ65's picture better, worth checking out. Unfortunately it does not meet your input lag requirements, though, so probably a non-starter. BenQ will be offering the HT9060 in a few months which is 4K UHD high output LED (2200 lumens) with 98% DCI-P3, HDR, 3D, etc, and a more premium product than the UHZ65 but still in your pricerange - the HT9060 likely will also meet or come close to your input lag requirements.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC (Post 56740070)

Unfortunately no, I can’t go. I’m eagerly waiting for reports on what it shown though!

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56742428)
Optoma offers the UHZ65 4K UHD Laser for under $4000. Recently a forum member sold their JVC X990 because they liked the UHZ65's picture better, worth checking out. Unfortunately it does not meet your input lag requirements, though, so probably a non-starter. BenQ will be offering the HT9060 in a few months which is 4K UHD high output LED (2200 lumens) with 98% DCI-P3, HDR, 3D, etc, and a more premium product than the UHZ65 but still in your pricerange - the HT9060 likely will also meet or come close to your input lag requirements.

I have a boxed up BenQ2050a sitting here, who’s input lag is 16ms. Lol. I’m wondering what that HT9060 will be.

Where can I read about the 9060? I’m off to scour Google.

How would it compare to the JVCs?

Ruined 09-02-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56742544)
I have a boxed up BenQ2050a sitting here, who’s input lag is 16ms. Lol. I’m wondering what that HT9060 will be.

Where can I read about the 9060? I’m off to scour Google.

How would it compare to the JVCs?

HT9060 not out yet (not even announced officially, actually, but that is the official name), so no reviews. The international version X12000H was recently announced and is coming out in a couple weeks; the specs are available online here:
https://www.benq.com/en/projector/ci...a/x12000h.html

Note this is not to be confused with the 1st generation HT9050/X12000 which was released as one of the first 4K DLP projectors and thus due to being one of the very first was lacking important firmware/hardware features needed for 4K and optimal PQ making it a poor deal. However, the new model has most features one would want from a 4K machine and looks very promising:

BenQ X12000H/HT9060
* 4K UHD (XPR shift / 8.3m pixels per frame)
* HDR10 and HLG
* 98% DCI-P3
* HLD LED / 2200 LUMENS light source; 20,000hr until half brightness
* Fast cycling LEDs instead of color wheel (less RBE than slower color wheels)
* Ultra sharp high quality lens with ample lens shift
* Blu-ray 3D via DLP link
* Dynamic black 4x LED dimming
* Premium chassis

You had a DLP projector with the 2050, and this DLP projector will have tradeoffs very similar to what you are used to.

Lower on/off contrast means you won't get the blackest blacks in very dark scenes that don't have HDR highlights (mainly dark SDR content) just like as is the case with your 2050, but again like the 2050 the HT9060 will have super high ANSI contrast which comes in great use to give some extra pop during intense 4K HDR scenes.

If you are interested in 4K UHD / 8M pixel solid state under $10k there are currently no options from the LCOS camp available, you need to spend $20k+. Epson has a 1080p projector which can do 4M pixels (about 3K) via shift, but their shift algo is not very good and honestly doesn't look much different than 1080p.

Definitely worth checking out when it arrives; even if you liked the way the JVC looked better it still might be worth getting the BenQ for the no hassle, no flicker, super stable 20,000 high output LED lightsource. Once you go solid state lightsource hard to go back, like going back to a lamp RPTV after you've owned a LED flat panel.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56743324)
HT9060 not out yet (not even announced officially, actually, but that is the official name), so no reviews. The international version X12000H was recently announced and is coming out in a couple weeks; the specs are available online here:

Note this is not to be confused with the 1st generation HT9050/X12000 which was released as one of the first 4K DLP projectors and thus due to being one of the very first was lacking important firmware/hardware features needed for 4K and optimal PQ making it a poor deal. However, the new model has most features one would want from a 4K machine and looks very promising:

BenQ X12000H/HT9060

* HDR10

* 98% DCI-P3

You had a DLP projector with the 2050, and this DLP projector will have tradeoffs very similar to what you are used to.

Lower on/off contrast means you won't get the blackest blacks in very dark scenes that don't have HDR highlights (mainly dark SDR content) just like as is the case with your 2050, but again like the 2050 the HT9060 will have super high ANSI contrast which comes in great use to give some extra pop during intense 4K HDR scenes.

If you are interested in 4K UHD / 8M pixel solid state under $10k there are currently no options from the LCOS camp available, you need to spend $20k+. Epson has a 1080p projector which can do 4M pixels (about 3K) via shift, but their shift algo is not very good and honestly doesn't look much different than 1080p.

Definitely worth checking out when it arrives; even if you liked the way the JVC looked better it still might be worth getting the BenQ for the no hassle, no flicker, super stable 20,000 high output LED lightsource. Once you go solid state lightsource hard to go back, like going back to a lamp RPTV after you've owned a LED flat panel.

Thank you for the info! So even if I marginally like the picture better on the JVC, you’re saying those other positives of the BenQ outweigh that?

Ruined 09-02-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56743342)
Thank you for the info! So even if I marginally like the picture better on the JVC, you’re saying those other positives of the BenQ outweigh that?

Well really, that is 100% up to you :) You should check out both and weigh the PROs/CONs of the picture quality, feautres, and functionality, then figure out where you personally land. People on the internet can give you info but you really need to find out what your priorities are to make a good decision for yourself. DLP 4K vs LCOS 4K are two completely different ways of rendering the picture and people have different preferences which they like better.

For me I would not buy another lamp projector no matter how good it looks, period. I have been fully converted to LED/Laser, no going back. :cool:

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56743352)
Well really, that is 100% up to you :) You should check out both and weigh the PROs/CONs of the picture quality, feautres, and functionality, then figure out where you personally land. People on the internet can give you info but you really need to find out what your priorities are to make a good decision for yourself.

For me I would not buy another lamp projector no matter how good it looks, period. I have been fully converted to LED/Laser, no going back. :cool:

Yup. I completely get your analogy earlier as well. Thanks for all the help!

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56743324)

BenQ X12000H/HT9060

* HDR10 and HLG

* 98% DCI-P3

* Premium chassis

Hmmm. I don’t see an expected price on the 12000H?

Ruined 09-02-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56743368)
Hmmm. I don’t see an expected price on the 12000H?

MSRP should be in the $7999-$8999 range, but with BenQ you can generally get a fairly large percentage discount on street price.

ScottieBoysName 09-02-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56743370)
MSRP should be in the $7999-$8999 range, but with BenQ you can generally get a fairly large percentage discount on street price.

Gotcha. You said October timeframe?

ack_bk 09-03-2018 06:05 AM

If input lag matters 4K DLP will likely dissapoint. The new JVC 4K projector is worth waiting for to ensure lag is similar to previous gen (under 32ms). I would wait for some real comparisons and reviews. The JVC is also a true 4k panel whereas the DLP models are pixel shifters. May or may not matter to you but if you game a lot I would recommend a true 4K over a faux 4K.

Lamp vs laser, I think laser is superior but you should be able to get at least 3K hours out of most lamps now and if you set aside $200-450 for a new bulb (depending what projector you buy) you can get another 3K hours. 6K hours is a lot.

MMC57 09-03-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName (Post 56743452)
Gotcha. You said October timeframe?

Which projector the BenQ X12000H/HT9060 or the Optoma UHZ65 would be better for sports and fast motion.

I currently use my projector mostly for sports which is still in either 720P or 1080i via Cable and the various network broadcasts from CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox so I do not think these resolutions can benefit from up conversion since I believe all these projector can only up convert a 1080P source.

Would I benefit with a 4K projector for sports when the native content is still 720P or 1080i???

I currently use a Marantz DLP 15-S1 1080P which has been a good unit over the years.

It was a while ago since I shopped for a projector .. 2007!... but as I recalled it seemed that DLP is better for fast motion then what JVC and SONY use.. is that true or are the projectors of today about the same for motion issues.

I would really like to upgrade but only if it will be an upgrade as it applies to my situation. I would prefer a Laser or HLD LED light source as bulbs just seem like technology from the past.

Really want to make sure if I go to a 4K projector it will be a significant improvement as I have in ceiling/wall HDMI cable issues to deal with as I did not install a conduit when I rework my theater is 2007 as 1080P was the king and my HDMI 1.3B was the top of the heap... big mistake not to run a conduit in the drywall ceiling!

If I upgrade my projector I will install the Celerity UFO Optical cables which will presently do HDMI 2.0 but with their inter changeable ends will be easily upgraded to HDMI 2.1.

http://celeritytek.com/product-ufo.html

Will be a lot of work to find a way to run these new cables.

If anyone hs thoughts or comments on the benefits of a 4K projector for "broadcast" sports let me know... also just wondering if the Networks may "bypass" 4K all together and perhaps jump straight to 8K cameras and equipment since the news from IFA Berlin seems to point to 8K already appearing for various displays.

Seems to me it would have been better for everyone if the first "jump" to HD was to 1080P without 720P and 1080i " messing things up.

Well I guess except for the TV and projector manufacturers!

Thanks for any help.

cemo62 09-03-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmon1 (Post 56741502)
The specs on the new jvc 4k even the very lowest model (N5) sort of destroy the Sony specs of the first two models (295es and 695es) in my opinion. Sony is in real trouble this round.

I dont think so.

Sony 270 is 4999 Euros with native contrast 16:000/1

JVC N5 is 6499 Euros. It says 40:000 native contrast but with measurements it is 14:000/16:000. (rs400-420 had those numbers) I know you will say it has a dynamic iris but jvc's dynamic iris works very agressive and it makes me crazy so I close it.

Sony have Reality creation, JVC have?

Motion is better with sony in older models. Lets see new models with both brand.

Both of them 18 gbps hdmi bandwith.

Generally sonys have more natural calm image but with new models of jvc i dont know what it will be.

Both of them have game mod for low input lag.

So why sony is in trouble?

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand me

coderguy 09-03-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cemo62 (Post 56744690)
I dont think so.

Sony 270 is 4999 Euros with native contrast 16:000/1

JVC N5 is 6499 Euros. It says 40:000 native contrast but with measurements it is 14:000/16:000. (rs400-420 had those numbers) I know you will say it has a dynamic iris but jvc's dynamic iris works very agressive and it makes me crazy so I close it.

Not sure how applicable this will be in the end game...

Sounds like the best case scenario in contrast for the Sony vs. worst case for the JVC.
Not enough info or reports on measurements yet to know for certain.

coderguy 09-03-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMC57 (Post 56744328)
Which projector the BenQ X12000H/HT9060 or the Optoma UHZ65 would be better for sports and fast motion.

I currently use my projector mostly for sports which is still in either 720P or 1080i via Cable and the various network broadcasts from CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox so I do not think these resolutions can benefit from up conversion since I believe all these projector can only up convert a 1080P source.

Would I benefit with a 4K projector for sports when the native content is still 720P or 1080i???

I currently use a Marantz DLP 15-S1 1080P which has been a good unit over the years.

The high-end Benqs have had serious issues from last year and ongoing.
We don't even know if those issues are fixed. It sounds like he wants you to be a guinea pig.

I would look at JVC vs. Sony in your price range, I would not even consider a Benq DLP.

Ruined 09-03-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderguy (Post 56746068)
the high-end benqs have had serious issues from last year and ongoing.
We don't even know if those issues are fixed. It sounds like he wants you to be a guinea pig.

I would look at jvc vs. Sony in your price range, i would not even consider a benq dlp.

This is FUD.

The main legitimate issue the X12000 had was a lack of features needed to unlock its full potential since it could not natively accept P3 nor render HDR nor support 3D nor have frame interpolation nor support dynamic dimming - and this updated projector is confirmed to have all of those missing features. The others loudly complaining about other "issues" were mainly from those that had pre-existing strong biases against DLP and/or had pre-existing strong biases for a certain style of image. This owner already had a DLP projector so they know what to expect.

coderguy 09-03-2018 12:06 PM

Not to mention very poor contrast, HDMI issues, HDR bandwidth issues, and calibration issues as well.
It's not about a BIAS against DLP, that is in your view, it's about what you get for the money.

The newest JVC's are Native 4k, recommending a pixel shifting Pseudo4k DLP vs. a Native 4k LCOS as the default choice is almost laughable.

Unless someone just absolutely wants to avoid lamps, no reason most people would pick a DLP at this point.
This forum is about recommending what most people would prefer, not about what the minority or one person prefers.

There are a few that would, but very few. It's certainly not 'a personal decision' as you state it, it's more like 95% choose LCOS over DLP at this point if all things were equal.

Ruined 09-03-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderguy (Post 56746130)
Not to mention very poor contrast, HDMI issues, HDR bandwidth issues, and calibration issues as well.
It's not about a BIAS against DLP, that is in your view, it's about what you get for the money.

The newest JVC's are Native 4k, recommending a pixel shifting Pseudo4k DLP vs. a Native 4k LCOS as the default choice is almost laughable.

Unless someone just absolutely wants to avoid lamps, no reason most people would pick a DLP at this point.
This forum is about recommending what most people would prefer, not about what the minority or one person prefers.

There are a few that would, but very few. It's certainly not 'a personal decision' as you state it, it's more like 95% choose LCOS over DLP at this point if all things were equal.

JVC doesn't even have a lamp 4K consumer projector on the market at all currently, talk about being a guinea pig! Also funny mentioning HDMI issues when you have time to go check the mail while JVCs obtain HDMI lock. DLP 4K looks about same as LCOS 4k due to single chip sharpness, as photos and videos have proven. Your other listed items are a non-issue for this projector.

Contrast, again, is a preference. The user already has DLP and thus knows what DLP contrast is and what DLP looks like. Thus contrast levels would not be a surprise.

Yes JVC has higher on/off contrast (but lower ANSI contrast - hello HDR) but the JVC also uses outdated legacy lamp light source which I personally would leave in the dust bin with other functionally outdated techs like RPTVs.

see timestamp 9:30 in video:

coderguy 09-03-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruined (Post 56746176)
Contrast, again, is a preference. The user already has DLP and thus knows what DLP contrast is and what DLP looks like. Thus contrast levels would not be a surprise.

Yes JVC has higher on/off contrast (lower ANSI contrast - hello HDR) but the JVC also uses outdated legacy lamp light source which I personally would leave in the dust bin with other functionally outdated techs like RPTVs.

Not yet, but will be available for order shortly.
The JVC's had HDMI sync time issues, it has been cut in half, but it certainly not a deal breaker for most.

Contrast is a deal breaker for MOST people if they saw the 2 side by side in a dark scene.
I know not for ALL people, but for MOST.

I didn't make the rules, I just enforce them :)

JVC has the best track record of all the manufacturers when it comes to releasing new products, plus they already have a 4k LCOS projector out which was superb (the RS-4500).
The newer JVC's are going to carry most of the similar tech over from the RS-4500, so it's probably not at guinea pig status.

Contrast is the preference of most people.

Otherwise, I'd look at a Sony.

Most people don't put enough hours on projectors to make the LAMP costs an issue.
I do, but most people do not.

Giving recommendations isn't about what you prefer, it's about what the majority would prefer.

Ruined 09-03-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderguy (Post 56746202)
Not yet, but will be available for order shortly.
The JVC's had HDMI sync time issues, it has been cut in half, but it certainly not a deal breaker for most.

Contrast is a deal breaker for MOST people if they saw the 2 side by side in a dark scene.
I know not for ALL people, but for MOST.

I didn't make the rules, I just enforce them :)

JVC has the best track record of all the manufacturers when it comes to releasing new products, plus they already have a 4k LCOS projector out which was superb (the RS-4500).
The newer JVC's are going to carry most of the similar tech over from the RS-4500, so it's probably not at guinea pig status.

Contrast is the preference of most people.

Otherwise, I'd look at a Sony.

Most people don't put enough hours on projectors to make the LAMP costs an issue.
I do, but most people do not.

"Dark Scenes" are actually more of an issue with 1080p SDR material than the 4K HDR material most people are buying a projector for these days. Most dark scenes in HDR grades have at least some bright highlights, which brings up the overall APL and makes ultra low APL performance less important with the way our eyes work. Again, though, this user has a DLP projector so they know what DLP looks like. No surprises.

In HDR scenes with a large mix of bright and dark elements (not uncommon at all especially with some of the marvel movies), DLP should actually outperform LCOS in contrast due to its higher ANSI contrast abilities. Speaking of HDR, how about that horrendous JVC tone mapping? Hope they fix that this year.

Maybe that is why one of our forum users recently sold their JVC X990 in favor of an Optoma UHZ65? Tired of terrible JVC tonemapping and the UHZ65 simply looked more impressive and contrasty with some of the recent HDR grades. Hard to stay on board with annoying lamps once you've lived with an LED/laser projector for any amount of time.