• 1 Post By Ron Jones

post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How important is Auto Iris?

I have a 5040UBE that I have been happy with the past 2 years.

Every time I have looked at a true 4K project at a reasonable price point, the $5,000 area, they all seem to lack auto iris which the 5040 has.

I understand it helps with contrast but last year I thought of moving up to the Sony 285 and held off for the reasons that most held off.

Now with the 295 coming out which addresses some of those issues I'm wonder how much of an issue not having iris control is.

I have a completely light controlled room, it has lighter walls but zero external light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Why not just try turning off your auto iris and see how you like it. As I recall, the 5040 is often compared to the JVC 440, which lacks dual iris, and the 440 generally comes up on top anyway despite that disadvantage because the native contrast is higher. What the Iris gives you is that extra boost (or anti-boost) in very low APL scenes. Test it yourself and see how much it bothers you if a blackout does not totally black out.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 993
For an upgrade from you Epson I suggest you consider JVC's new native 4K entry level model RS1000. Although the MSRP is $1K more than Sony entry level model the street price for the JVC might actually come in lower than the Sony. I suggest you contract Mike or Craig at the AV Science store to see what pre-order pricing they can offer. A lower cost alternative would be to consider the JVC RS540 e-shift model which is being reported to being carried over, but with a new much lower price. This model has much higher native contrast than you Epson and can put out a brighter image when both are fully calibrated. The above mentioned JVC models do have a dynamic iris and while we haven't seen how will it works on the new native 4K models that were just announced this week, the JVC DI has been working very well on the e-shift models (e.g., RS540) for the past few years so I would expect an effective DI implementation on the new native 4K models.
DavidHir likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 09-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Why not just try turning off your auto iris and see how you like it. As I recall, the 5040 is often compared to the JVC 440, which lacks dual iris, and the 440 generally comes up on top anyway despite that disadvantage because the native contrast is higher. What the Iris gives you is that extra boost (or anti-boost) in very low APL scenes. Test it yourself and see how much it bothers you if a blackout does not totally black out.
The RS440 has a manual and auto iris.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Isn't the JVC bad for gaming?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2018, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
Isn't the JVC bad for gaming?

Not anymore. 27ms of input lag when fed 4K.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page