BenQ HT9050 - how does it compare to more popular projectors under $5K? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #121 of 123 Old 06-29-2020, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
Oh how did I miss that? Light engine failure sounds pretty bad. I talked to Benq, and they are going to ship me another unit. Their customer service is really great. I am not looking forward to taking this beast off my ceiling. It was a terrible pain to install.

I know people had complaints about the 9050, but I liked my unit a lot, the CineGrey 3D material I installed made a huge difference, IMO. Hopefully the replacement is just as good or better
Glad to hear they have a replacement for you! Good luck!
tqlla likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 06-29-2020, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by reek852 View Post
Yes Benq has great customer service. My projector is on a shelf because I was not trying to ceiling mount it. I'm using cinegrey also, along with an HDFury Linker with a Dolby Vision EDID uploaded with player led tone mapping. Not sure if you know this but to engage smart eco, you select smart eco then press the blank button on the remote pictures goes blank then you press blank again the picture returns noticeably dimmer. Took me a while to figure that out.
A shelf is a great idea. It was tough to mount it by myself. Next time I am going to have to have a spotter. Guess I am weaker than I used to be.

I may have to try the fury linker in the future, but I dont have many 4k discs. Since my old projector was a 3D JVC DLA-X55R, I had been going out of my way to buy 3D movies. Now I need to build a 4K collection. Before reading your post that it was light engine problem, I had been changing my settings to see if it was some compatibility issue. It was actually turning on without that checker screen earlier today. But after being off for the last 8 hours, this time the LED engine didnt turn on at all. Reboot fixes it, but it sounds like its on its last legs.

Just curious, do you like the Smart Eco mode over the normal mode? I get that Smart Eco adds dynamic contrast, but the normal mode just seems punchier at least on paused images.

Here are a couple more pics of this projector, while I have it. These are in smart Eco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-DSC01204.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2750926   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-DSC01208.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2750928  

Last edited by tqlla; 06-29-2020 at 08:18 PM.
post #123 of 123 Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
A shelf is a great idea. It was tough to mount it by myself. Next time I am going to have to have a spotter. Guess I am weaker than I used to be.

I may have to try the fury linker in the future, but I dont have many 4k discs. Since my old projector was a 3D JVC DLA-X55R, I had been going out of my way to buy 3D movies. Now I need to build a 4K collection. Before reading your post that it was light engine problem, I had been changing my settings to see if it was some compatibility issue. It was actually turning on without that checker screen earlier today. But after being off for the last 8 hours, this time the LED engine didnt turn on at all. Reboot fixes it, but it sounds like its on its last legs.

Just curious, do you like the Smart Eco mode over the normal mode? I get that Smart Eco adds dynamic contrast, but the normal mode just seems punchier at least on paused images.

Here are a couple more pics of this projector, while I have it. These are in smart Eco.

When I watch Dolby Vision movies I use normal mode. Smart eco for everything else, my screen is 92 inches so this projector is more than bright enough for it. If you decide to get the Linker you will have to adjust the gamma, the CMS, and a few other settings on the projector to get the correct colors for the HDR or Dolby vision signal.

I don't know how you feel about streaming but I have apple tv 4k, the streams look very good comparable to 4k disc. Those pics look great. You can adjust the CMS and color enhancer settings to get as much color saturation as you like. I like a puchier picture also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page