Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #541 of 679 Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Yup, the difference between videophiles and audiophiles is that it's much easier to recognize a perceived improvement in visuals vs. high placebo effect with audio.
What was that idiom again...believe all of what you see but only half of what you hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 679 Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
That is a question that many have been asking Sony and none of them get a right answer. There is zero benefit on having it on as long you don't need to do zone convergence as that setting turns off the zone convergence software. In fact, many calibrators do this before calibrating Sony projectors. Kris Deering has it off in his 885. The procedure is not complicated but I don't want to post it here in public because if somebody mess with the wrong item, you can brick your projector and will void your warranty. Going into the service menu and turning this setting OFF does not void the warranty but if you mess-up something else, it may void the warranty. Send me a PM so I can send you the instructions.
Hello I sent you a PM thank you
post #543 of 679 Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6326 Post(s)
Liked: 6327
Quote:
Yup, the difference between videophiles and audiophiles is that it's much easier to recognize a perceived improvement in visuals vs. high placebo effect with audio. Getting your greyscale calibrated on these projectors is another huge improvement in color accuracy especially with skin tones. I used two different 295ES units and they both gave off a slight bluish push which is better than a red or green push, but calibrated accuractely it'll look so good.
Big difference, I could hear a HUGE difference when Chad B was done with our sound system. The sad part is, the audiophiles seem to be dying off something like what is happening to Harley Davidson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 679 Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCPilot View Post
Looks like I've got some yellow blotching in the top left corner of the image (visible with a light sky or white). Any ideas?
I thought I received a perfect warranty replacement unit, but now I noticed I have this as well. Bummer. Fortunately it's in a more inconspicuous spot vs. the center, and as long as something like this doesn't get worse, I'd rather have this problem than the bad lens focus uniformity I was getting with the previous unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1678.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	2518514  
post #545 of 679 Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 3606 Post(s)
Liked: 4312
Quote:
I thought I received a perfect warranty replacement unit, but now I noticed I have this as well. Bummer. Fortunately it's in a more inconspicuous spot vs. the center, and as long as something like this doesn't get worse, I'd rather have this problem than the bad lens focus uniformity I was getting with the previous unit.
Crap, that yellow band on the top is bad. At least that would drive my OCD crazy as I watch a LOT of TV and most TV commercials have lot of white backgrounds these days. Mine is not focus perfect but at least white uniformity is almost perfect. I would exchange my unit if I have that yellow band.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #546 of 679 Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
Quote:
Wow I couldn't be ok with that in real world content. If that were my unit and I was going to keep it, I think I would out zoom to the 17x9 aspect and set my players to 4096x2160 so that the top and bottom had small black bars on 16x9 content. That would at least black that out, give you a little bit more lumens and increase the size of scope movies for ya.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #547 of 679 Old 01-31-2019, 09:36 AM

Up close it seems the camera makes the yellow stand out a little more than in person. Here's how it looks on an entire image. It took me 50 lamp hours before I noticed it, but now my brain knows it's there. Cropping the picture is an idea. Sony probably been getting so many exchanges judging by this thread, they either going to improve their QC or they will give up on the projector business entirely lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190131_091049_1548955577362.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	2518618  
post #548 of 679 Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Up close it seems the camera makes the yellow stand out a little more than in person. Here's how it looks on an entire image. It took me 50 lamp hours before I noticed it, but now my brain knows it's there. Cropping the picture is an idea. Sony probably been getting so many exchanges judging by this thread, they either going to improve their QC or they will give up on the projector business entirely lol
An update on my "yellow blotch" situation. My projector went to NY to be repaired under warranty and I was just informed that the parts for this projector are not available. It could take around 30 days to get them -- if I'm lucky.
post #549 of 679 Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCPilot View Post
An update on my "yellow blotch" situation. My projector went to NY to be repaired under warranty and I was just informed that the parts for this projector are not available. It could take around 30 days to get them -- if I'm lucky.
What did they diagnose was the problem? I was under the impression it was just a panel misalignment that needed adjusted but sounds like something different if parts are needing ordered for you.
post #550 of 679 Old 01-31-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is an item on the service menu, I think item 2, that changing it from 1 to 0 it makes what some calls coffee stain, goes away. Did you change item 21 to 0 already? If yes, change it back to 1 to see if the yellow band goes away.

Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #551 of 679 Old 02-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all:

I'm interested in this projector as a replacement for my 3-year old Epson 6030UB. I wanted to get feedback form current owners regarding the following: 1) Does Sony have an upgrade path, for current and recent owners of this projector, to change the HDMI ports to the new 2.2 standard?; 2) how are the black levels, something I do like on the Epson: and 3) How is 3D on the Sony? For this one, I'll need to buy new glasses (I have eight pairs already) because it seems the Sony uses a 90hz refresh rate, as opposed to the Epson that uses the more common 120hz? That means, none of my existing panasonic and epson glasses would work (they flicker), but genric ones like the Monster or others would. Correct?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and responses. Cheers!
post #552 of 679 Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11689 Post(s)
Liked: 9242
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Hello all:

I'm interested in this projector as a replacement for my 3-year old Epson 6030UB. I wanted to get feedback form current owners regarding the following: 1) Does Sony have an upgrade path, for current and recent owners of this projector, to change the HDMI ports to the new 2.2 standard?; 2) how are the black levels, something I do like on the Epson: and 3) How is 3D on the Sony? For this one, I'll need to buy new glasses (I have eight pairs already) because it seems the Sony uses a 90hz refresh rate, as opposed to the Epson that uses the more common 120hz? That means, none of my existing panasonic and epson glasses would work (they flicker), but genric ones like the Monster or others would. Correct?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and responses. Cheers!
I think you mean HDMI 2.1 and I do not know of any projector manufacturer that offers an upgrade path to 2.1.
post #553 of 679 Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
There is an item on the service menu, I think item 2, that changing it from 1 to 0 it makes what some calls coffee stain, goes away. Did you change item 21 to 0 already? If yes, change it back to 1 to see if the yellow band goes away.
Unfortunately no improvement. I already talked to my dealer and they're going to have Sony contact me. I'm hoping one of the service menu settings will fix this, but I can already feel like it needs swapped again. After some due diligence, I believe this problem is due to the blue dichroic mirror being misaligned and fortunately not the actual SXRD chip.

The SXRD panels you never want to touch due to the impossibiliy to realign them, but the dichroic mirror im tempted to just open my unit and take a look inside and adjust the blue mirror and reglue it to see if this would fix it. I'd obviously lose the warranty if I did this so im holding back for now lol.

I watched a video on techs repairing the internal of home theater projectors, and these are incredibly complicated electronics, and very cool looking how they work too.

Last edited by brandon_k_w; 02-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #554 of 679 Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I think you mean HDMI 2.1 and I do not know of any projector manufacturer that offers an upgrade path to 2.1.
Hi Mike - yes, sorry that was my mistake. It was supposed to read HDMI 2.1 indeed!

An point noted regarding no projector manufacturer offering the HDMI board upgrade. The reason I asked that was because I just heard from a local HT salesperson that Denon/Marantz were offering that option to those looking to buy their 13.2 channel receivers and pre/pros, such as the Marantz AV8805. Don't know if that's accurate or not, but was wondering that if one company is doing it, would some others follow suit to entice customers to buy their products in this period of tech changeover.

Anyway, my question now remains - is HDMI 2.0 able to transmit 4k at full bandwidth (24, 60, 120hz), with inability to transmit 8K as its only limitation? Or, does it not go as high as 4k/120, and only HDMI 2.1 would be required for that and 8k? Just want to get the facts so I can make an informed decision regarding purchasing the Sony (or the upcoming JVCs/Epsons) now, or waiting a few more months for when the ports get upgraded. BTW, if HDMI 2.0 works for the full 4k spec, then I'm happy to buy it now.

Thanks again.
post #555 of 679 Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mike - yes, sorry that was my mistake. It was supposed to read HDMI 2.1 indeed!

An point noted regarding no projector manufacturer offering the HDMI board upgrade. The reason I asked that was because I just heard from a local HT salesperson that Denon/Marantz were offering that option to those looking to buy their 13.2 channel receivers and pre/pros, such as the Marantz AV8805. Don't know if that's accurate or not, but was wondering that if one company is doing it, would some others follow suit to entice customers to buy their products in this period of tech changeover.

Anyway, my question now remains - is HDMI 2.0 able to transmit 4k at full bandwidth (24, 60, 120hz), with inability to transmit 8K as its only limitation? Or, does it not go as high as 4k/120, and only HDMI 2.1 would be required for that and 8k? Just want to get the facts so I can make an informed decision regarding purchasing the Sony (or the upcoming JVCs/Epsons) now, or waiting a few more months for when the ports get upgraded. BTW, if HDMI 2.0 works for the full 4k spec, then I'm happy to buy it now.

Thanks again.
There is no reason to upgrade HDMI in the 295ES. The features that upgraded HDMI might support, the 295ES does not. These are variable refresh rate and 48gbit 8k input. Since the display cant support it, the HDMI inputs need not support it.

The black performance on the 295ES is not that great. It has a little bit better native contrast than your epson. But the epson has a dynamic iris to lower light output on darker scenes and the 295ES does not. So the back performance on the Epson (which is also not good) is far better than on the 295ES. You'd have to move up to a 695ES to get black performance that bests your Epson.

The 3D on the sony is quite good, but the 295ES is a max 1500 lumen (on high) and about 850 lumen (on low) projector. Compared to your epson, it's probably way too dim to give you good 3d.

The 295ES is going to be great for smaller screens in a light controlled room when you're sitting very close and want to benefit from 4K resolution. Is a great gaming projector.

If you're worried about 3d, future proofing, and good blacks, look elsewhere.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #556 of 679 Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Wow, markmon1 - thanks for the great info!

Yes, 3D is a big deal for me and not so much gaming, so that's not great news for me on the 295ES. Dimmer 3D, plus the prospect of ditching my current 8 pairs and buying new, 96hz glasses, and lesser black levels than my Epson does certainly gives me greater pause than the HDMI port issue. Guess I'll keep looking for the new crop of machines to come out soon, along with the JVC N5 and whatever others release in 2019.

BTW, nice to meet another B&W owner. Had the 804d3 and the matching HTM center since their release and am loving the sound. Might be too much for my smaller, 14x24 dedicated HT with a 100" screen now, but certainly allows me to think larger for whenever I move. Thanks again.
post #557 of 679 Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, markmon1 - thanks for the great info!

Yes, 3D is a big deal for me and not so much gaming, so that's not great news for me on the 295ES. Dimmer 3D, plus the prospect of ditching my current 8 pairs and buying new, 96hz glasses, and lesser black levels than my Epson does certainly gives me greater pause than the HDMI port issue. Guess I'll keep looking for the new crop of machines to come out soon, along with the JVC N5 and whatever others release in 2019.

BTW, nice to meet another B&W owner. Had the 804d3 and the matching HTM center since their release and am loving the sound. Might be too much for my smaller, 14x24 dedicated HT with a 100" screen now, but certainly allows me to think larger for whenever I move. Thanks again.
I love the B&W 800 series. I can't imagine your 804's and the HTM2D3 being too much for anything My audio setup has definitely given me more enjoyment than my video setup.

Yea, people hate me saying it, but a JVC N5 might be just what you're looking for. It'll be significantly brighter than the 295ES and have significantly better blacks than your epson. I can't vouch for the 3D on the JVC, it's not bad and brighter than the Sony but not as bright as your Epson.

You could always keep your Epson and mount both projectors and run the Epson when you want 3D I bet that's a cheaper option than selling your Epson and buying glasses for Sony or JVC.

post #558 of 679 Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lamp: High or Low

Hey folks. Wondering, what are most setting their lamp at. I find the projector performs better at the high setting, especially HDR content, but I do wonder about long term wear leaving it like that. What do most do? A bit of a survey! Thanks.
post #559 of 679 Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve10 View Post
Hey folks. Wondering, what are most setting their lamp at. I find the projector performs better at the high setting, especially HDR content, but I do wonder about long term wear leaving it like that. What do most do? A bit of a survey! Thanks.
I do low lamp for SDR and high lamp for HDR.

post #560 of 679 Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I preset a high lamp and low lamp mode on my remote so that I dont have to keep going into the menu. I use high lamp for daytime viewing, HDR, and sometimes for games. Probably 40% high lamp use and 60% low lamp use here.
post #561 of 679 Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I primarily use the Reference preset with low lamp for HD/BT709 and the Film 2 preset with high lamp for UHD/BT2020. I mostly followed Projector Reviews Calibration Settings that itsmebanky shared on page 15, post #441 of this thread and used a Spears and Munsil disc for brightness, contrast, hue, tint, and sharpness settings that I thought looked good for my setup. I have a fully light controlled room, but with white ceilings because my better half won't let me paint it black (semi-multipurpose space).
post #562 of 679 Old 02-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
What did they diagnose was the problem? I was under the impression it was just a panel misalignment that needed adjusted but sounds like something different if parts are needing ordered for you.
I believe they said it was the "light engine." I could be remembering that wrong as i was more focused on how long it would take.
brandon_k_w likes this.
post #563 of 679 Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi, I'm new 295es user and just finished 19 pages and one question left for you guys,

I have UB820 and am still confused "tone mapping", HDR / SDR output.

If I understand correctly,

UB820 will map the tone for display brightness which will be 350 nits max when basic luminance / projector setup on either 1000 nits or 4000 nits mastered source. <-- this is called "auto tone mapping"

If I set output as SDR/BT2020 then it will shrink to 100 nit but keep BT2020 color space. <---not an auto tone mapping but still tone mapped? .

on projector side HDR10 mode, user should adjust setting on pj end to find best picture for each source (100 for 400 nits and 0 for 3000~4000 nits source) <-- manual tone mapping not auto

HDR reference will set max at 1000 nits <-- no tone mapping at all?

to users with UB820, Can you share your setup on player and pj?
post #564 of 679 Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjs78 View Post
Hi, I'm new 295es user and just finished 19 pages and one question left for you guys,

UB820 will map the tone for display brightness which will be 350 nits max when basic luminance / projector setup on either 1000 nits or 4000 nits mastered source. <-- this is called "auto tone mapping"

If I set output as SDR/BT2020 then it will shrink to 100 nit but keep BT2020 color space. <---not an auto tone mapping but still tone mapped? .

on projector side HDR10 mode, user should adjust setting on pj end to find best picture for each source (100 for 400 nits and 0 for 3000~4000 nits source) <-- manual tone mapping not auto

You should look at the discussion of tone mapping in the 820 thread.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #565 of 679 Old 02-08-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umjs78 View Post

You should test the Panny 820 with HDR/BT2020 and SDR/BT2020 and compare both. If the screen is less than 100", you may don't notice a huge difference between the two settings. When the Panny 820 is set to output SDR/BT2020 the 295ES will receive SDR signal and you need to set the color space on the 295ES as BT2020. HDR won't be enable on the projector so you won't see that option on the 295ES. If you set the Panny 820 to output HDR/BT2020 then the 295ES will switch to HDR mode automatically and then you can select between the different HDR modes. My screen is only 92" and I have my Panny 820 set to output HDR/BT2020. I have on my 295ES CinemaFilm1 set for HDR with High Lamp, HDR Contrast at 80, Brightness at 55, Color at 60 and Cinema Black Pro Contrast Enhancer in Low. Then on Advances Settings I have Smooth Gradation in Low and HDR set on HDR10. On the Panny 820 I have HDR Optimizer set to ON and depending on the movie the slider move between +1 and +3.
umjs78 and cemo62 like this.

post #566 of 679 Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Had this projector for a month now, I love the way it displays movies.
I have only one thing that bothers me, to get this projector as sharp as possible I use the wellknown 4K "Brown Fox" testpicture, which looks ok'ish.
Some colour have a slight halo to the upperright, not something to get upset about though.
But when I display the Sony's projector menu, the white letters are not sharp at all. It has a terrible halo to the upperright.
So I was wondering is this normal, you all have this issue or might it be something with my optical path.
My dealer stated he also saw this on a Sony 760 laser projector.
post #567 of 679 Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11689 Post(s)
Liked: 9242
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelt View Post
I have only one thing that bothers me, to get this projector as sharp as possible I use the wellknown 4K "Brown Fox" testpicture, which looks ok'ish.
Some colour have a slight halo to the upperright, not something to get upset about though.
But when I display the Sony's projector menu, the white letters are not sharp at all. It has a terrible halo to the upperright.
So I was wondering is this normal, you all have this issue or might it be something with my optical path.
Be sure you are in low lag mode, when viewing, so that you are removing the processing. Also need to be feed source direct and many players can't do that.
Kjelt likes this.
post #568 of 679 Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What you are seeing is color shift due to item 21 on service menu been ON by default. Google "disable the zone convergence correction software" and you will find instructions on how to disable item 21 on service menu. Do it at your own risk. If you don't know what to do, don't do it as you can brick your 295ES if you change another item by mistake.
Kjelt likes this.

post #569 of 679 Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks will dive into it.
post #570 of 679 Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Upload close-up pictures of the text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page