Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #661 of 675 Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 AM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah86 View Post
Yes i am on game setting for games- 2 pics attached.

How do i restore the gamma settings back to factory default?

The German gammas look absolutely horrendous.

Since I've been messing with the settings I have gotten the picture to be a little better.

Using cinema 1 with other modifications.

However, I/m still have some trouble with the very dark scenes- they have a haze and they're simply too dark. Turning up the brightness only makes the haze even worse. I seem to get a better picture when I lower the red Bias under custom color temp.

2 pics attached.

Keep in mind these pictures are only showing the settings- not the actual quality of the image on screen.

Camera was zoomed in and lights were on.

Do you have the HDMI Dynamic Range setting on FULL by chance? It should be in LIMITED. FULL can cause a haze as you’re describing.

Some folks confuse that setting with the HDMI Signal Format setting, which should be on Enhanced mode to allow full 4K60p 10/12 Bit HDR.
replayreb and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 675 Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry I have not had time to read the whole thread yet and I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of these in the next few days so my questions for any owners are:

1. What other projectors did you cross shop (did you preview all), are you happy with your purchase?
2. Anyone coming from an Epson 6030UB (or something similar) get one, how does it compare?
post #663 of 675 Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Sorry I have not had time to read the whole thread yet and I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of these in the next few days so my questions for any owners are:

1. What other projectors did you cross shop (did you preview all), are you happy with your purchase?
2. Anyone coming from an Epson 6030UB (or something similar) get one, how does it compare?
Hello All,

Any one suggest me better 3D glasses for SONY VPL-VW295ES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 675 Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The Hi-Shock RF Pro "Deep Heaven" and Hi-Shock RF Pro "Black Heaven" work very well with the Sony projectors.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #665 of 675 Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thank you Vollans.

Last edited by gakbw; 05-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #666 of 675 Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 PM
Fox

I got one of these today can anyone recommend a good mount?

Or more ideally a plate that will fit this: https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/.../chf2500sl.pdf

(that plate has 4 holes not 3 and spacing is all wrong).
post #667 of 675 Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:
I got one of these today can anyone recommend a good mount?
Or more ideally a plate that will fit this: https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/.../chf2500sl.pdf
(that plate has 4 holes not 3 and spacing is all wrong).
Cheif RPA-020 I was told.....
post #668 of 675 Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I saw the 295 again today at a different dealer and the picture was awesome
Archibald1 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #669 of 675 Old 05-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Cheif RPA-020 I was told.....

I ended up with Chief RPAU Universal Projector Ceiling Mount it works. (I was able to use the universal plate from that kit with the mount/pole from the 2500, I think mount that came with it is the RPA-020 (looks the same).

Couple questions regarding this I'm pretty happy with it so far although I've only been using it a couple hrs and haven't done much with it.

1. Is there a low lamp mode setting or is that just embedded in the picture mode? I would like to try it its plenty bright so far in my room (if it extends the lamp life and lets the fan work less all the better) I find the fan quieter than the Epson in high mode but lower in low mode.

2. Looking at UHD players, I think I saw a few people in this thread talk up the Panasonic UB820 so that's the direction I'm leaning at the moment, but I was thinking about the Sony X700 or possibly the Pana UB420 or 9000 (I'm still trying to research) but can anyone tell me here if I'd notice a big difference in picture quality between them with this projector (does Dolby Vision even matter? My Receiver will support it but I don't think the projector does)
post #670 of 675 Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
2. Looking at UHD players, I think I saw a few people in this thread talk up the Panasonic UB820 so that's the direction I'm leaning at the moment, but I was thinking about the Sony X700 or possibly the Pana UB420 or 9000 (I'm still trying to research) but can anyone tell me here if I'd notice a big difference in picture quality between them with this projector (does Dolby Vision even matter? My Receiver will support it but I don't think the projector does)
The UB820 and UB9000 have the tone mapping features that the Sony X700 lacks, so the 295es will make best use of HDR with those players.
The UB9000 has a 350 or 500nit setting, but the UB820 has only the 500nit setting which works OK, but 350 would better, but is it worth the extra cash just to get that function ? Some say yes, while others prefer the 500nit setting.

Don't worry about Dolby-Vision or HDR10+ as no projector at the moment supports it, with the possible exception of the new ultra expensive Christi.
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-11-2019 at 11:41 PM.
post #671 of 675 Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
......Don't worry about Dolby-Vision or HDR10 as no projector at the moment supports it, with the possible exception of the new ultra expensive Christi.

I believe you mean HDR10+, right? Projectors that do support HDR means they do support HDR10 and some HLG too. (Static metadata vs Dynamic)
post #672 of 675 Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I believe you mean HDR10+, right? Projectors that do support HDR means they do support HDR10 and some HLG too. (Static metadata vs Dynamic)
Yes HDR10+.

I corrected my original post.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #673 of 675 Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Deciding between the Sony 295 and the new Epson 5050. We know the Sony is true 4k so it definitely wins out on overall picture but I have a couple other questions.

I have a bright room we watch TV during the day and even have low level lights on at night. I have a black diamond 115" 1.2 gain screen already w/ an older Epson projector (4yrs old).

My biggest concerns:
- I have a throw distance of 22 feet set with the project currently cut out in the ceiling soffit in the back of the room.
- I want a bright projector since I watch a lot of TV with lights on or during the day. Our Current Epson 6030 that is 4-5 yrs old still does the job well even on it's 2nd bulb. How does the Sony do watching sports and with the lights on in a fairly bright room?
- The box in the ceiling soffit was built custom for our current projector but with the new projectors much bigger now I think I would only have 1-2 inches above the projector and on each side. Will that be an issue w/ ventilation - there is an open space behind it but should I drill holes into the side wall inside the box where the projector sits to help w/ ventilation?
- Would love to hear someone who has gone from an Epson to a Sony.

Thanks so much
post #674 of 675 Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUman View Post
Hello,

Deciding between the Sony 295 and the new Epson 5050. We know the Sony is true 4k so it definitely wins out on overall picture but I have a couple other questions.

I have a bright room we watch TV during the day and even have low level lights on at night. I have a black diamond 115" 1.2 gain screen already w/ an older Epson projector (4yrs old).

My biggest concerns:

- I have a throw distance of 22 feet set with the project currently cut out in the ceiling soffit in the back of the room.

- I want a bright projector since I watch a lot of TV with lights on or during the day. Our Current Epson 6030 that is 4-5 yrs old still does the job well even on it's 2nd bulb. How does the Sony do watching sports and with the lights on in a fairly bright room?

- The box in the ceiling soffit was built custom for our current projector but with the new projectors much bigger now I think I would only have 1-2 inches above the projector and on each side. Will that be an issue w/ ventilation - there is an open space behind it but should I drill holes into the side wall inside the box where the projector sits to help w/ ventilation?

Thanks so much

Im from 6040ub
My basement is 100% light controlled but i fell some scene is little dark on 135” 1.1 cinewhite screen.
Get epson if you have ambient light even at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #675 of 675 Old 05-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUman View Post
Hello,

My biggest concerns:

Thanks so much

I came from an Epson 6030 I've had the 295 going for a week or so. I like it a lot more, my room is light controlled w/dark walls. I almost always ran the Epson in THX mode I think which is lower light. I find the Sony to be brighter actually it shocked me, my 9 year old mentioned it too (ie someone who doesn't know anything - its that obvious) I'm still trying to figure out how to put this in a lower light mode (unless its just not the 'bright' settings, which I'm not using). I'm on a 100" screen ~15' throw (Stewart Greyhawk RS screen, not sure about the gain). I assume the Epson would have been brighter but the fan was too loud for me in that mode, this is quieter, although louder than the Epson in eco mode.

In your situation the lumens are probably going to matter a lot more than mine though, I upgraded because a blue line started showing in my Epson (stuff happens) but I was not really happy with how the company handled it so between the fact that Epson doesn't do real 4k and my disgruntledness I was not even considering buying one.

BTW I haven't even tried 4k on this yet its all 1080p, my 4k cables are on order (and I need to run one through the wall/ceiling). (I have a 4k Roku but I need to get a UHD player too). So I guess if you decide to go 4k be prepared to more than likely start spending money elsewhere (new cables, player etc... if that has any impact on your decision).

I guess if THX mode on the 6030 is bright enough I think you'll be happy with this as the standard modes here look brighter to my eyes than that (not overwhelmingly, but enough for my 9 year old to pick up on it) my bulb was about 3k hrs when I switched over (I probably would have ran it another 1k, which I'm sure it was a bit dimmer so that's some of it). I find the colors on this to be a bit more vibrant too, which I like.
BUman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page