Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 739 Old 07-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Member
 
hnupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Worth buying a Bestbuy extended Warranty on the 295es?

Hello,

Is it really worth paying extra money for a 4 year warranty from BestBuy? or is the 3 year warranty from Sony good enough? Thoughts Please.
hnupe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 739 Old 07-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Member
 
iamluvinlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
Where can I get the new 2.100 firmware?


not sure. Both my replacements came with 2.1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------
Thanks, Chris
iamluvinlife is offline  
post #693 of 739 Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you want to Install the German Gamma HDR Curves to your 295. I did. 🙂

https://youtu.be/XyhBm7H3mN8

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
Hyabusha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 739 Old 07-31-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Hello,

Is it really worth paying extra money for a 4 year warranty from BestBuy? or is the 3 year warranty from Sony good enough? Thoughts Please.
You get 3 years with the 295. So your paying $400 for 1 year.

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
Hyabusha is offline  
post #695 of 739 Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thoughts on a new version of the Sony 295es at CEDIA? If there isn't a new model, I hope they at least drop the price. It's crazy that we're entering the 8k era, and the least expensive native 4k PJ is still $5k.

Currently enjoying the Sony 45es, but not sure it's worth the price to jump to the 295es yet.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #696 of 739 Old 08-01-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,361
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6573 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I just put my 295ES for sale here on AVS Forum if anyone is interested.
You just got it, what are you moving to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Thoughts on a new version of the Sony 295es at CEDIA? If there isn't a new model, I hope they at least drop the price. It's crazy that we're entering the 8k era, and the least expensive native 4k PJ is still $5k.

Currently enjoying the Sony 45es, but not sure it's worth the price to jump to the 295es yet.
We will see what Sony does. Projectors are not like TV's, they are very stable in price, they are NOT in a race to zero.....lol. 8K TV's may be out, funny thing is for the first time I do not see people chasing that technology. The Samsung 8K units are not very much better, if at all over there best 4K LED's.
llang269, Dirk504 and Archibald1 like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #697 of 739 Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vertical lens shift question

I currently have the Sony VPL-HW50ES (1080p) projector. I plan to get the Sony VPL-VW295ES (or its successor if it is announced/available soon). I want to know if these projectors have enough vertical shift for my setup, since I'm also upgrading from a 92" screen to a 106" screen.

First, some background info:

1. I am upgrading to a 106" diagonal screen (16:9 aspect ratio).
2. The distance from the projector's lens to the screen will be 139".
3. I do not need to use horizontal shift (I only need vertical shift).
4. The distance from the ceiling to the top of the screen will be between 15" to 18".
5. The distance from the ceiling to the center of the projector's lens will also be between 15" to 18"

Basically, the projector's lens will be about the same height as the top of the screen.

My question is: does the Sony projector (VPL-HW50ES and VPL-VW295ES) have enough vertical shift to be able to display the image properly? I read the manuals but I don't quite understand if there is enough vertical shift when I move to a 106" screen.

Thanks.
randman is offline  
post #698 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 4577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You just got it, what are you moving to?
Sony 77A9G OLED

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #699 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Fox
Member
 
Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I currently have the Sony VPL-HW50ES (1080p) projector. I plan to get the Sony VPL-VW295ES (or its successor if it is announced/available soon). I want to know if these projectors have enough vertical shift for my setup, since I'm also upgrading from a 92" screen to a 106" screen.

First, some background info:

1. I am upgrading to a 106" diagonal screen (16:9 aspect ratio).
2. The distance from the projector's lens to the screen will be 139".
3. I do not need to use horizontal shift (I only need vertical shift).
4. The distance from the ceiling to the top of the screen will be between 15" to 18".
5. The distance from the ceiling to the center of the projector's lens will also be between 15" to 18"

Basically, the projector's lens will be about the same height as the top of the screen.

My question is: does the Sony projector (VPL-HW50ES and VPL-VW295ES) have enough vertical shift to be able to display the image properly? I read the manuals but I don't quite understand if there is enough vertical shift when I move to a 106" screen.

Thanks.

I don't think the Sony has as much vertical shift as my Epson did.



The Sony lens is about 100" off the floor top of my screen is about 78" off the floor and my throw distance is about 198" for a 100" screen. I'm probably at about 95% to one side of the shift (I think I was at 100 and then I adjusted my mount so the angle is not quite level.



If I shrink the image you can see a mild trapezoidal shape, but at full size with the edges bleeding into the black velvet on the screen its unnoticeable and the image is great. (I have my PC hooked to this so its pretty easy to see stuff at image edge if I want, much more so than regular TV or movies which has bars due to the ultra wide aspect ratio).



So my screen is lower but the throw distance longer I'm not sure what this means for you. If you can angle the mount at all you should be fine.
Fox is offline  
post #700 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I don't think the Sony has as much vertical shift as my Epson did.



The Sony lens is about 100" off the floor top of my screen is about 78" off the floor and my throw distance is about 198" for a 100" screen. I'm probably at about 95% to one side of the shift (I think I was at 100 and then I adjusted my mount so the angle is not quite level.



If I shrink the image you can see a mild trapezoidal shape, but at full size with the edges bleeding into the black velvet on the screen its unnoticeable and the image is great. (I have my PC hooked to this so its pretty easy to see stuff at image edge if I want, much more so than regular TV or movies which has bars due to the ultra wide aspect ratio).



So my screen is lower but the throw distance longer I'm not sure what this means for you. If you can angle the mount at all you should be fine.
Thanks. Assuming their database is correct, Projectorcentral has a calculator, and it looks like I’ll be okay if the projector and screen are about the same height: https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm
randman is offline  
post #701 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
brandon_k_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I currently have the Sony VPL-HW50ES (1080p) projector. I plan to get the Sony VPL-VW295ES (or its successor if it is announced/available soon). I want to know if these projectors have enough vertical shift for my setup, since I'm also upgrading from a 92" screen to a 106" screen.

First, some background info:

1. I am upgrading to a 106" diagonal screen (16:9 aspect ratio).
2. The distance from the projector's lens to the screen will be 139".
3. I do not need to use horizontal shift (I only need vertical shift).
4. The distance from the ceiling to the top of the screen will be between 15" to 18".
5. The distance from the ceiling to the center of the projector's lens will also be between 15" to 18"

Basically, the projector's lens will be about the same height as the top of the screen.

My question is: does the Sony projector (VPL-HW50ES and VPL-VW295ES) have enough vertical shift to be able to display the image properly? I read the manuals but I don't quite understand if there is enough vertical shift when I move to a 106" screen.

Thanks.
I know the 295ES will work, I had the same setup on a 105" screen with a 11'6" throw from the front of the lens to the screen. And the lens was very close to the top of the screen. I was able to shift an additional 8"-12" below the screen. I think the 295ES shifts 60 degrees from center vertically, it will say in the manual. You can always verify with a tape measure but you should be good with the 295ES. As long as you use zero horizontal shift, you'll be able to use the full 60 degrees vertical shift, otherwise shifting horizontally eats into the vertical shifting max limits.
brandon_k_w is offline  
post #702 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
I know the 295ES will work, I had the same setup on a 105" screen with a 11'6" throw from the front of the lens to the screen. And the lens was very close to the top of the screen. I was able to shift an additional 8"-12" below the screen. I think the 295ES shifts 60 degrees from center vertically, it will say in the manual. You can always verify with a tape measure but you should be good with the 295ES. As long as you use zero horizontal shift, you'll be able to use the full 60 degrees vertical shift, otherwise shifting horizontally eats into the vertical shifting max limits.
Thanks!!
randman is offline  
post #703 of 739 Old 08-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I think that the way most projectors including the SONY 4K ones, is that if they are table mounted right side up at the height of the bottom of the screen, then there is no additional user vertical lens shift needed, as the default position of the lens relative to the image source is set for this common situation. Likewise if the projector is ceiling mounted upside down at the height of the top of the screen, then again the default zero user lens shift should put the image properly on the screen. Of course is is great to be able to make small vertical and horizontal shifts to fine tune the final image geometry.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is online now  
post #704 of 739 Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 AM
Member
 
MDesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I think that the way most projectors including the SONY 4K ones, is that if they are table mounted right side up at the height of the bottom of the screen, then there is no additional user vertical lens shift needed, as the default position of the lens relative to the image source is set for this common situation. Likewise if the projector is ceiling mounted upside down at the height of the top of the screen, then again the default zero user lens shift should put the image properly on the screen. Of course is is great to be able to make small vertical and horizontal shifts to fine tune the final image geometry.
Actually no. The Sony and JVC projectors have lensshift at 0 when the projector is horizontally and vertically at the center of the screen. You can install to the top of the screen height with projectors right side up or upside down and it will work.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
shs1234 likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
MDesigns is online now  
post #705 of 739 Old 08-05-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,163
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12279 Post(s)
Liked: 9890
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
I know the 295ES will work, I had the same setup on a 105" screen with a 11'6" throw from the front of the lens to the screen. And the lens was very close to the top of the screen. I was able to shift an additional 8"-12" below the screen. I think the 295ES shifts 60 degrees from center vertically, it will say in the manual. You can always verify with a tape measure but you should be good with the 295ES. As long as you use zero horizontal shift, you'll be able to use the full 60 degrees vertical shift, otherwise shifting horizontally eats into the vertical shifting max limits.
On a 105" diagonal 16:9 screen you have 10" of vertical lens shift available above the image, if you do not use any horizontal.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #706 of 739 Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Member
 
hnupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Settings???

Anybody would like to post their settings? Also, is their a directory of individuals that do calibrations in each state/city?
hnupe is offline  
post #707 of 739 Old 08-13-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Anybody would like to post their settings? Also, is their a directory of individuals that do calibrations in each state/city?
https://youtu.be/RI60O9g0HAw

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
Hyabusha is offline  
post #708 of 739 Old 08-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Member
 
asummerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What’s the verdict on wait vs jump when there’s no existing projector? We just built a new house and had to leave our projector with the last media room. I was targeting the 295es for this build but would hate to spend $5k now only to have it drop by $1k or a next generation be just a couple months away.

I know you can always wait and get the “next new thing” and always be waiting and never enjoying. Just not sure in this case how long that might be for a 2019 model.

If nothing comes out till Spring, that’s different. But all the reviews of the 295 mention it being the 2018 model and we are over halfway to 2020...
asummerlin is offline  
post #709 of 739 Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 4577
Quote:
Originally Posted by asummerlin View Post
What’s the verdict on wait vs jump when there’s no existing projector? We just built a new house and had to leave our projector with the last media room. I was targeting the 295es for this build but would hate to spend $5k now only to have it drop by $1k or a next generation be just a couple months away.

I know you can always wait and get the “next new thing” and always be waiting and never enjoying. Just not sure in this case how long that might be for a 2019 model.

If nothing comes out till Spring, that’s different. But all the reviews of the 295 mention it being the 2018 model and we are over halfway to 2020...
At this point, I would wait until IFA (Sep 6 - Sep 11) and CEDIA (Sep 10 - Sep 15) which are just around the corner and see what is Sony showing for this year, if anything. Most likely JVC will keep their current line but a price drop could be in the works. I sold my 295ES a few days ago but this time I'm moving in another direction with a large OLED TV. None of the current 4K projectors offerings are even close to OLED blacks. The days of JVC's superior blacks are gone for good, unless you get an used RS790 or RS990.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #710 of 739 Old 08-14-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,116
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6842 Post(s)
Liked: 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
At this point, I would wait until IFA (Sep 6 - Sep 11) and CEDIA (Sep 10 - Sep 15) which are just around the corner and see what is Sony showing for this year, if anything. Most likely JVC will keep their current line but a price drop could be in the works. I sold my 295ES a few days ago but this time I'm moving in another direction with a large OLED TV. None of the current 4K projectors offerings are even close to OLED blacks. The days of JVC's superior blacks are gone for good, unless you get an used RS790 or RS990.
JVC is keeping the current line. I'd guess there is not going to be a price drop. Sony pretty much never has a price drop ( other than the VW885es being on sale right now ).

Too bad OLED's are so small. But I much prefer the look of a large screen reflecting light rather than emissive displays anyway. Hard to get 8 people huddled around a 70" TV !
farsider3000 and Archibald1 like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #711 of 739 Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 4577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
JVC is keeping the current line. I'd guess there is not going to be a price drop. Sony pretty much never has a price drop ( other than the VW885es being on sale right now ).

Too bad OLED's are so small. But I much prefer the look of a large screen reflecting light rather than emissive displays anyway. Hard to get 8 people huddled around a 70" TV !
A 77" OLED is not bad if you sit 7 ft from the screen and only have 3 seats, which is my case
Archibald1 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #712 of 739 Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Member
 
hnupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I finally did it....it is now installed!!!

I stepped up my Game!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4361.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2605598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4370.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2605600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4371.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2605602  
hnupe is offline  
post #713 of 739 Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Anybody would like to post their settings? Also, is their a directory of individuals that do calibrations in each state/city?


Thank you I too would like to see everyone settings for cinema 1 and cinema 2.

I sold my 285 and I got a 295, And I had the German curbs installed on the 285 and I would like to ask you professionals in here if you can help me because I can’t seem to get the settings correct for anything at the moment and I’m just wondering what I’m doing wrong

Can I install the German curves on this and can someone post the best possible settings for regular Blu-ray and for 4K?

And which is the proper way of installing the German curves sister a proper tutorial out there because I can’t seem to find it.

I put in Apocalypse now the other day on cinema one and HDR on and I’m just not getting a very good picture do I need to install the German curves there must be a way to get this picture looking better This goes with any film I just don’t have the correct settings so if anybody can help would be great


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #714 of 739 Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
If you want to Install the German Gamma HDR Curves to your 295. I did. 🙂

https://youtu.be/XyhBm7H3mN8


I guess this is the tutorial have you noticed a difference in the picture quality?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #715 of 739 Old 08-30-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hyabusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
If you want to Install the German Gamma HDR Curves to your 295. I did. ðŸ™️‚

https://youtu.be/XyhBm7H3mN8


I guess this is the tutorial have you noticed a difference in the picture quality?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes this the video I used to Install the German Gamma Curves and yes the HDR picture Is outstanding. 🙂

Video Games, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

My Youtube Channel-https://www.youtube.com/rvspawn
Hyabusha is offline  
post #716 of 739 Old 09-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
Yes this the video I used to Install the German Gamma Curves and yes the HDR picture Is outstanding. 🙂
I've been battling with HDR and just can't get a satisfactory result due to crushed shadow details / dark scenes (using projectors built in options), I find using the German Gamma Curves gives me better results .. Thanks to Hyabusha

However, I'm getting the best results using HDR to SDR BT 709 conversion at the default 300 nits output on the Cambridge CXUHD (similar to Oppo 203).

Does anyone with a Cambridge/Oppo are experiencing the same?
sheraz_uk is offline  
post #717 of 739 Old 09-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
Thanks!!
If you don’t mind me asking....

Are you expecting a noticeable improvement between the ‘50ES versus the ‘295? Also, are you expecting the vertical shift to be more limited with the ‘295? Just asking, because I have the ‘50ES and am becoming discontent, due to watching my OLED downstairs.

I’m considering buying a ‘295 or a77” OLED this Christmas.

Jim
goldieloxx is offline  
post #718 of 739 Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldieloxx View Post
If you don’t mind me asking....

Are you expecting a noticeable improvement between the ‘50ES versus the ‘295? Also, are you expecting the vertical shift to be more limited with the ‘295? Just asking, because I have the ‘50ES and am becoming discontent, due to watching my OLED downstairs.

I’m considering buying a ‘295 or a77” OLED this Christmas.

Jim
As you know, the 50ES is 1080p, while the '295 is 4K. I just upgraded my screen from 92" to 106". I also moved my MLP from 10' to be 8.3' from the screen. Hence, I would expect the greater resolution of '295 to be apparent (based on https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/). Also see viewing distance calculator as reference: https://www.projectorscreenstore.com...alculator.html (yeah, my distance gives a really large viewing angle, which I love...)

I looked at the '295's manual, and also based on feedback from this thread, I don't expect the vertical shift of the '295 to be an issue.

OLED can do HDR (and on newer models Dolby Vision and HDR10+) better than projectors. But even a large OLED is dwarfed by a big projection screen. My preference is larger size over better HDR. Of course, one can sit really close to an OLED to compensate for the size, but sitting real close would only be ideal for 1 or 2 people (and not so comfortable with more than 2 people).

Sony typically announces their new projectors in CEDIA, which is next week, so I'll be waiting to see what new projector models Sony may come up with.

EDIT: edited MLP distance and added reference URL.

Last edited by randman; 09-07-2019 at 09:24 AM.
randman is offline  
post #719 of 739 Old 09-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
As you know, the 50ES is 1080p, while the '295 is 4K. I just upgraded my screen from 92" to 106". I also moved my MLP from 10' to be 8.3' from the screen. Hence, I would expect the greater resolution of '295 to be apparent (based on https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/).

I looked at the '295's manual, and also based on feedback from this thread, I don't expect the vertical shift of the '295 to be an issue.

OLED can do HDR (and on newer models Dolby Vision and HDR10+) better than projectors. But even a large OLED is dwarfed by a big projection screen. My preference is larger size over better HDR. Of course, one can sit really close to an OLED to compensate for the size, but sitting real close would only be ideal for 1 or 2 people (and not so comfortable with more than 2 people).

Sony typically announces their new projectors in CEDIA, which is next week, so I'll be waiting to see what new projector models Sony may come up with.
Okay, thank you.

I’m sitting 13’ back from the screen and am not sure if I’m ready to spend $5k for the upgrade.
I also don’t want to move my current ceiling mount or buy a new projector mount...that’s why I’d be interested in sticking with a Sony, if I upgrade.
goldieloxx is offline  
post #720 of 739 Old 09-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldieloxx View Post
Okay, thank you.

I’m sitting 13’ back from the screen and am not sure if I’m ready to spend $5k for the upgrade.
I also don’t want to move my current ceiling mount or buy a new projector mount...that’s why I’d be interested in sticking with a Sony, if I upgrade.
Yeah, I'm hoping that Sony will announce a new 4k projector models next week that will be better/cheaper than the 295. I know the 295 and the 50ES use the same Chief mount (which I use). One thing I really like about the Sony is how quiet its fan is, at least the last time I was able to compare Sony projectors with other manufacturers.
goldieloxx likes this.
randman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off