Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #751 of 774 Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
Im thinking about upgrading my current 65es but are apprehensive due to the lamp flickering in my current and previous models..

Anyone noticed any flickering on this unit?
Hi.

I had a VW550ES (very similar to the 270ES) and it had micro flicker, but I hasten to add that I am super susceptible to it and my wife did not notice it.

It wasn't an obvious flicker as such, but more of an ethereal shimmer to the image, is best I can describe it.

The main thing is to run the bulb on high mode for the first 100 hours and then you can reduce it to low and (according to Sony) this will mitigate any flicker.

Best to view one, if possible, before you buy.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 774 Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.

I had a VW550ES (very similar to the 270ES) and it had micro flicker, but I hasten to add that I am super susceptible to it and my wife did not notice it.

It wasn't an obvious flicker as such, but more of an ethereal shimmer to the image, is best I can describe it.

The main thing is to run the bulb on high mode for the first 100 hours and then you can reduce it to low and (according to Sony) this will mitigate any flicker.

Best to view one, if possible, before you buy.

Well, please read my lenghty warning thread about flickering on the 65es,and the responses Sony has sent me and my dealer,it has no impact wether or not you run it in high for 100hours,it is a flaw in the design of the lamp electronics and the pursuit of "green" power consumption is my take on it. Also,it isnt a "shimmer" or "micro flicker" it is like the auto iris is out of control,very noticeable,and extremely annoying blinking where the light gets brighter and darker continually.. Changing from high to low or vice versa stops this behaviour for anything from a few minutes to hours,but once it starts it only gets worse,and you might just change the bulb. My current lamp started flickering already at 900hrs,and i ONLY run them on high.

I would like to hear from people who actually have this unit if they experience the flickering as reported on 45/55/65es and other models.

Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5,Emotiva XPA-2,Densen B-340+,B&W 683,B&W HTM61,B&W DS3,2XSVS PB-2000,4XMonitor Audio BX1 (Atmos),Sony VPL-HW65ES,Stewart 123" CIMA Neve Motorized, Dune HD Pro 4K, Mede8er x600 3D,Panasonic BD60,PS4

Last edited by Tsunamijhoe; 09-27-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #753 of 774 Old 09-27-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldieloxx View Post
I may be reaching out to you in a few months. I assume you sell all options I’m considering (77” OLED, 82”Q90 and VPL-VW295)?
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijai2008 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Sony service? I’ve had my projector for less than a year and the fan went out. It’s been about 5 weeks now and I still dont have a working projector. I’ve been told they still don’t have the correct part to fix it and it’s back ordered. This is pretty poor customer service for a $5k projector. I’ve loved Sony till now but I may sell this thing when I finally get it and go back to a JVC or Epson. It’s sad cause epson guarantees a 2 day turn around.
Its a bear when a part is not in stock but no matter what I have seen in the last 16 years, after 4 weeks they don't let you wait any longer they send a brand new unit out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijai2008 View Post
I bought it from Crutchfield...not sure what all they can do. Just frustrating that I’m without a projector for so long.
You never know until you call. All dealers have back end contacts to help a client out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 774 Old 09-28-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, please read my lenghty warning thread about flickering on the 65es,and the responses Sony has sent me and my dealer,it has no impact wether or not you run it in high for 100hours,it is a flaw in the design of the lamp electronics and the pursuit of "green" power consumption is my take on it. Also,it isnt a "shimmer" or "micro flicker" it is like the auto iris is out of control,very noticeable,and extremely annoying blinking where the light gets brighter and darker continually.. Changing from high to low or vice versa stops this behaviour for anything from a few minutes to hours,but once it starts it only gets worse,and you might just change the bulb. My current lamp started flickering already at 900hrs,and i ONLY run them on high.

I would like to hear from people who actually have this unit if they experience the flickering as reported on 45/55/65es and other models.
Hi.
I wasn't doubting your experience in any way, I was just passing on my experiences.

I know these machines can be prone to bad flicker. I also agree that it is due to inadequate ballasts and PSU's. I had a 45ES for a while on loan a way back and the flicker after about two hours of being on was so bad is was simply distracting!

Couldn't enjoy what was on due to it. That machine had 1300 or so hours on it as I recall. The picture quality was very nice but the flicker made it unusable as an entertainment device.

I was also only citing what Sony told me to do when I reported my flicker. They told me that the way to sort it is the 100hours on high and then you can go back to low. Why is that not in the manual I asked? Got no answer. I suspect that it is not in the troubleshooting section of the manual so they can always say that it isn't endemic. i.e. Not in the manual because (they want to maintain) it is a rare occurrence....

Cheers.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #755 of 774 Old 09-28-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
I wasn't doubting your experience in any way, I was just passing on my experiences.

I know these machines can be prone to bad flicker. I also agree that it is due to inadequate ballasts and PSU's. I had a 45ES for a while on loan a way back and the flicker after about two hours of being on was so bad is was simply distracting!

Couldn't enjoy what was on due to it. That machine had 1300 or so hours on it as I recall. The picture quality was very nice but the flicker made it unusable as an entertainment device.

I was also only citing what Sony told me to do when I reported my flicker. They told me that the way to sort it is the 100hours on high and then you can go back to low. Why is that not in the manual I asked? Got no answer. I suspect that it is not in the troubleshooting section of the manual so they can always say that it isn't endemic. i.e. Not in the manual because (they want to maintain) it is a rare occurrence....

Cheers.
I understand and appreciate the comment,and my response was in no way meant to be animus,however quoting experiences with older or different models than this thread is about helps noone.. Im not trying to derail this thread into another flickering thread, but need specific information from owners of this specific model before i spend a lot of money on a new unit that might/might not suffer from this problem..But either people dont have problems with it,or no one has owned it long enough for the problem to present itself,seeing as there is no reports on it anywhere. Also,problem might not present itself for users playing 4k material exclusively,but i would be playing mostly 1080p material until my 4k collection would be larger.
I hope you understand,and have a nice weekend

Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5,Emotiva XPA-2,Densen B-340+,B&W 683,B&W HTM61,B&W DS3,2XSVS PB-2000,4XMonitor Audio BX1 (Atmos),Sony VPL-HW65ES,Stewart 123" CIMA Neve Motorized, Dune HD Pro 4K, Mede8er x600 3D,Panasonic BD60,PS4

Last edited by Tsunamijhoe; 09-28-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #756 of 774 Old 09-28-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand and appreciate the comment,and my response was in no way meant to be animus,however quoting experiences with older or different models than this thread is about helps noone.. Im not trying to derail this thread into another flickering thread, but need specific information from owners of this specific model before i spend a lot of money on a new unit that might/might not suffer from this problem..But either people dont have problems with it,or no one has owned it long enough for the problem to present itself,seeing as there is no reports on it anywhere. Also,problem might not present itself for users playing 4k material exclusively,but i would be playing mostly 1080p material until my 4k collection would be larger.
I hope you understand,and have a nice weekend
Understood. The 270 is very similar to the 550, but the new chassis with its better processing board may have better power circuitry as a result and I would hope they have nailed down that issue by now.
Have a good weekend yourself.

Stephen Hawking.
post #757 of 774 Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ps3 glasses

Hello!

I am thinking about upgrading my sony 40es for the 295es, can anyone tell me if the ps3 3D glasses will work? I have a large theater and 15 of ps3 glasses so i dont want to have purchase another lot of glasses if i can avoid it.

Thanks!

"although he walks among us, he is not one of us"
post #758 of 774 Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
Hello!

I am thinking about upgrading my sony 40es for the 295es, can anyone tell me if the ps3 3D glasses will work? I have a large theater and 15 of ps3 glasses so i dont want to have purchase another lot of glasses if i can avoid it.

Thanks!
No, the PS3 glasses use IR while the 295 uses RF. That's a good thing in that you have a much wider selection of lightweight glasses to choose from. Those PS3 glasses gave me a headache. I would recommend Samsung glasses as they are very lightweight. I bought several Samsung SSG-5150GB's several years ago and they work fine with the 295 but they're discontinued.
post #759 of 774 Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM
K T

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If anybody has a 2019 Sony projector and enjoys 3D movies but find that is just too dim please read on. I found out that the 2018 projectors like the 285 and 675 have a 3D bright mode in the 3D settings that Sony removed from the newer models firmware. I have spoken with Sony's technical support and asked if it's possible that this function be given back to us. They said that they would ask engineering in Japan to look into it but that they are doubtful as I was the first person this year to complain about 3D. Apparently nobody watches 3D anymore. Well I still like it and can't be the only one.

So... If this is something that may be of interest to you please contact Sony technical support and ask for this feature to re-added. The more people that call may increase the chances that Sony will listen. Thanks.

P.S. I also just posted this in the 695 thread. just trying to get the word out.
post #760 of 774 Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Quick question, just got this bad boy set up and I absolutely love it. It's my first PJ and looking forward to beautiful 4K but wondering what I should do with a new projector. I've read about running other projectors on "high" mode for the first 100 hours or so to help the lens/lamp get started.

Is that something that I should do with this SONY? Any specific calibration or search for dead pixels I should do with a brand new one?

Sorry if this was already answered, but I tried searching the thread and didn't find it.

Thanks!
post #761 of 774 Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by K T View Post
I found out that the 2018 projectors like the 285 and 675 have a 3D bright mode in the 3D settings that Sony removed from the newer models firmware.

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think we can get a petition for this but with all of us suddenly sending complaint reports about it would definitely have an effect on them.
post #762 of 774 Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 PM
K T

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine121 View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I don't think we can get a petition for this but with all of us suddenly sending complaint reports about it would definitely have an effect on them.
That is pretty much what they told me it would take. I just don't understand why remove the feature from the current lineup if it was already available previously. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to re-add to a firmware update. Thanks.
post #763 of 774 Old 10-10-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Zoom and brightness

Does anyone know if this PJ loses brightness when it is zoomed in to the max / or close? I'm doing my mounting calculations, and I'll have to zoom in considerably.
post #764 of 774 Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by orby2000 View Post
Does anyone know if this PJ loses brightness when it is zoomed in to the max / or close? I'm doing my mounting calculations, and I'll have to zoom in considerably.

Yes, it does lose some brightness as you zoom in. Based on Projector Central's review:

"Zoom Lens Light Loss. Going from the widest to the full telephoto position on the 2.06x zoom lens results in a 27% loss of light in any color mode. However, given the relatively long zoom, many setups will not require the full telephoto capacity, which would accommodate a 100-inch diagonal image from 20.5 feet away."

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Son...ge=Performance
orby2000 likes this.
post #765 of 774 Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Yes, it does lose some brightness as you zoom in. Based on Projector Central's review:

"Zoom Lens Light Loss. Going from the widest to the full telephoto position on the 2.06x zoom lens results in a 27% loss of light in any color mode. However, given the relatively long zoom, many setups will not require the full telephoto capacity, which would accommodate a 100-inch diagonal image from 20.5 feet away."

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Son...ge=Performance
Thank you for this, that's a cool site. When I use their throw distance calculator, what does the slide on the zoom range scale mean? As I change the throw distance, the range changes from telephoto to wide angle.
post #766 of 774 Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby2000 View Post
Thank you for this, that's a cool site. When I use their throw distance calculator, what does the slide on the zoom range scale mean? As I change the throw distance, the range changes from telephoto to wide angle.

I'm no expert by any means, but my understanding is there is a correlation with the throw distance, the throw ratio of the projector and the aspect ratio/size of the screen. For me, I usually start with the distance from lens to screen (throw distance). Then I see at mid zoom what image size would be (choosing the correct aspect ratio to make sure it's accurate for your intended setup). In this example, let's say that I believe the throw distance is 12 feet from lens to screen. If Zoom is set to mid level (1.53x), aspect ratio is set to 16:9 then my max image size would be 85". So, I say, "That's not big enough". I can then change the zoom range to the max wide angle of 2.05x (max zoom) and then set the throw distance to 12' again. Now I see that I have an image size of 114". Based on that, I would purchase a 110" 16x9 screen for my room (taking into account that I would be losing 25-27% brightness with this setup).
orby2000 likes this.
post #767 of 774 Old 10-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
If I had 700K to spend I would still prefer a projector because of the reflections:
If there is enough light for reflections, wouldn't you be washing out the projection screen? If I had unavoidable lights bright enough to cause reflections, I would hands down choose a direct view LED screen if I could get one big enough.

Still rocking an MC-1!
post #768 of 774 Old 10-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Reduce lamp power?

I've had the unit for about a month now, love most things about it.

However I think it's still a little too bright, even in lamp "low" mode. I would like to also get a little blacker blacks. I was thinking of placing a ND filter over the lens - but I would rather just further reduce lamp power if that was an option. Anyone know if this is possible?

I've got a 100" 16:9 screen, 1.1 gain, in a basement with controlled light. So I could also get a lower-gain screen I suppose. I was tossing around the idea of of getting a 17:9 so I could take advantage of the wider chips.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Still rocking an MC-1!
post #769 of 774 Old 10-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzzz View Post
I've had the unit for about a month now, love most things about it.

However I think it's still a little too bright, even in lamp "low" mode. I would like to also get a little blacker blacks. I was thinking of placing a ND filter over the lens - but I would rather just further reduce lamp power if that was an option. Anyone know if this is possible?

I've got a 100" 16:9 screen, 1.1 gain, in a basement with controlled light. So I could also get a lower-gain screen I suppose. I was tossing around the idea of of getting a 17:9 so I could take advantage of the wider chips.

Any advice?

Thanks!
You will lose about 20% lamp brightness after the first 500 hours or so. Perhaps then it will be more to your liking. In the meantime, you could adjust the gain down a bit.
post #770 of 774 Old 10-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Hello All -

I have the VW295ES which is my first Sony projector. I have had it for close to a year now and love it. I came over from the Panasonic realm. Today is the first day I am noticing the "flicker". I have set my calibrations according to an article from Sound and Vision which I'm very pleased with, and yes I run my lamp on High. As most know this is not a cheap projector nor the bulbs but since I spent the money on this I want to get the best picture possible for my eyes and that seems to be with the lamp on high. I am prepared to replace the lamp more frequently. My lamp now has 1980 hours (yes the wife loves to watch movies all night).

So my questions are...

Do you think the flicker is due to 1980 hours on High mode? Am I reaching the life's expectancy and should a replacement fix this? I only ask because my Panasonic's never flickered even towards the bulbs end of life, so this is new to me.

I purchased the projector from a well respected online dealer which I have purchased my last four projectors from. Looking at purchasing a new bulb for the projector and straight from the manufacturer's site is one price and from my dealer it is 120 dollars less. Both say the same model number. Is there a serious mark up or maybe this is factory vs. aftermarket? I don't mind spending the extra to stay with factory replacements. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #771 of 774 Old 10-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrawjt View Post
Hello All -

I have the VW295ES which is my first Sony projector. I have had it for close to a year now and love it. I came over from the Panasonic realm. Today is the first day I am noticing the "flicker". I have set my calibrations according to an article from Sound and Vision which I'm very pleased with, and yes I run my lamp on High. As most know this is not a cheap projector nor the bulbs but since I spent the money on this I want to get the best picture possible for my eyes and that seems to be with the lamp on high. I am prepared to replace the lamp more frequently. My lamp now has 1980 hours (yes the wife loves to watch movies all night).

So my questions are...

Do you think the flicker is due to 1980 hours on High mode? Am I reaching the life's expectancy and should a replacement fix this? I only ask because my Panasonic's never flickered even towards the bulbs end of life, so this is new to me.

I purchased the projector from a well respected online dealer which I have purchased my last four projectors from. Looking at purchasing a new bulb for the projector and straight from the manufacturer's site is one price and from my dealer it is 120 dollars less. Both say the same model number. Is there a serious mark up or maybe this is factory vs. aftermarket? I don't mind spending the extra to stay with factory replacements. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Once the flicker starts,it only gets worse,so yes,change the lamp... And you have reached the end of life on a bulb at 2000hrs,regardless what Sony has written in their promotional material,which is utter bs.. I would LOVE to force Sony to provide proof they have gotten one of their recent projectors to run the 6000hrs they claim in the specifications.. I have NEVER ever had a bulb go past 2200hrs give or take.. If it aint the flicker,they lose 40% light emission but this happens gradually so you dont really notice it until replacement.. However, flickering is the main reason i change,and it has happened on ALL lamps at some point in my 65es.

and yes,there is a serious markup buying "genuine" Sony branded lamps, for triple the price all you get is a dust filter in the package.. I am buying bare bulbs which takes a few screws to losen,and then it works as before.. I buy the same genuine philips/osram lamps sony uses in their "genuine" houses at 3rd of the price as im done paying sony for their crap.

And you reporting flickering on 295, means Sony has learned nothing or simply dont care,and i wont be buying another sony projector ever..

Last edited by Tsunamijhoe; 10-20-2019 at 03:24 AM.
post #772 of 774 Old 10-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Once the flicker starts,it only gets worse,so yes,change the lamp... And you have reached to end of life on a bulb,regardless what Sony has written in their promotional material,which is utter bs.. I would LOVE to force Sony to provide proof they have gotten one of their recent projectors to run the 6000hrs they claim in the specifications.. I have NEVER ever had a bulb go past 2200hrs give or take.. If it aint the flicker,they lose 40% light emission but this happens gradually so you dont really notice it until replacement.. However, flickering is the main reason i change,and it has happened on ALL lamps at some point in my 65es.

and yes,there is a serious markup buying "genuine" Sony branded lamps, for triple the price all you get is a dust filter in the package.. I am buying bare bulbs which takes a few screws to losen,and then it works as before.. I buy the same genuine philips/osram lamps sony uses in their "genuine" houses at 3rd of the price as im done paying sony for their crap.

And you reporting flickering on 295, means Sony has learned nothing or simply dont care,and i wont be buying another sony projector ever..

Thank you Tsunamijhoe for your quick response! I forgot to mention that after my Panasonics my last projector was actually an Epson 5030UB which was great until the dreaded vertical lines showed up. My factory repair shop quoted the fix more expensive than the original purchase! So I went all out for this projector looking for a true 4k projector at a "relatively" low price.

I was thinking (hoping) bulb at this point but was concerned I may need to send it in for repair. And you answered my second question of lamp quality... thanks again. I'll pick one up from my dealer.

Take care!
post #773 of 774 Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
In the meantime, you could adjust the gain down a bit.

What Gain control? Do you mean Contrast?

Still rocking an MC-1!
post #774 of 774 Old 10-20-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzzz View Post
What Gain control? Do you mean Contrast?
See the bottom of this post about RGB gain control.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58621202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page