Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #781 of 923 Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do you change motion flow? The only option I get is “impulse”. I’m using the Cinema 2 setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 923 Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a ps4 pro running through a marantz sr6014 to the PJ. Just getting a black screen and intermittent audio with the receiver 4k firmat is set to enhanced. I can only get a picture when the receiver 4k is set to standard. Changing the PJ 4k to enhanced or standard doesn't do anything.

Any help? Thanks.
post #783 of 923 Old 11-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Imax Enhanced????

Hello,

Has anyone experienced Imax Enhanced? How does it look on the 295ES? I am trying not to buy a whole new receiver to get Imax Enhanced...however, I may be forced to if it is a really good picture.

I currently have the Marantz SR6012...thus no Imax Enhanced...sucks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
How do you change motion flow? The only option I get is “impulse”. I’m using the Cinema 2 setting.
If you have your PJ set to 4096x2160 then that is the only option you will have.

Set to 3840x2160 for full options.
morgiastic likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #785 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Hello,

Has anyone experienced Imax Enhanced? How does it look on the 295ES? I am trying not to buy a whole new receiver to get Imax Enhanced...however, I may be forced to if it is a really good picture.

I currently have the Marantz SR6012...thus no Imax Enhanced...sucks!!!
You will only benefit from the IMAX enhanced audio modes if you buy a new AVR as far as I am aware. I am not sure if there is a video mode per-sae, to actually pass through the AVR that it wouldn't already pass now.

The PJ can display IMAX enhanced images anyway as they essentially will be 16:9 images.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #786 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post
I have a ps4 pro running through a marantz sr6014 to the PJ. Just getting a black screen and intermittent audio with the receiver 4k firmat is set to enhanced. I can only get a picture when the receiver 4k is set to standard. Changing the PJ 4k to enhanced or standard doesn't do anything.

Any help? Thanks.
Sounds like an HDMI cable issue. You would be surprised how often this happens once people finally get a full 18Gbps pipeline.
morgiastic likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #787 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Quote:
How do you change motion flow? The only option I get is “impulse”. I’️m using the Cinema 2 setting.
If you have your PJ set to 4096x2160 then that is the only option you will have.

Thanks for the reply, but it’s set to 3840x2160. How do you change it anyway?
post #788 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How do you change motion flow? The only option I get is “impulseâ€Â. I’️m using the Cinema 2 setting.

Thanks for the reply, but it’s set to 3840x2160. How do you change it anyway?
Just noticed i was in the wrong forum. I have the 285, oops. Sorry
post #789 of 923 Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Any help? Thanks.
Sounds like an HDMI cable issue. You would be surprised how often this happens once people finally get a full 18Gbps pipeline.
I thought it might be, but I used the same cables with a panasonic dp-ub820 4k player and I was able to set the avr to enhanced 4k and get a signal. Not sure what to do next.
post #790 of 923 Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just noticed i was in the wrong forum. I have the 285, oops. Sorry
Ahhhh that would explain a great many things!
The 285 only has impulse an option with 4k or UHD signals. Full motionflow settings are only available with 1080p on those machines.

Stephen Hawking.
post #791 of 923 Old 11-13-2019, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any help? Thanks.
I thought it might be, but I used the same cables with a panasonic dp-ub820 4k player and I was able to set the avr to enhanced 4k and get a signal. Not sure what to do next.
Leave the pj on enhanced no matter what. The discrepancy seems to be between your AVR and your ps4. Maybe a question on those forums would help you. When set to enhanced, the 295 is able to accept 4k 50/60hz in up to 4:2:2 12bit. The max allowed.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 11-15-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #792 of 923 Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any help? Thanks.
Leave the pj on enhanced no matter what. The discrepancy seems to be between your AVR and your ps4. Maybe a question on those forums would help you. When set to enhanced, the 295 is able to accept 4k in up to 4:2:2 12bit. The max allowed.
Ok will do. Thanks!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #793 of 923 Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok will do. Thanks!
Just to add that if you only get a picture from your PS4 when the AVR is set to Standard HDMI, then it will only be getting 8bit colour anyway.

Have you tried forcing your PS4 to 4k in 4:2:2 colour? If it is set to RGB or 4:4:4, then at 50 or 60hz it will only output in 8bit.

Have you tried everything on the PS4 in auto mode?

Stephen Hawking.
post #794 of 923 Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Ok will do. Thanks!
Just to add that if you only get a picture from your PS4 when the AVR is set to Standard HDMI, then it will only be getting 8bit colour anyway.

Have you tried forcing your PS4 to 4k in 4:2:2 colour? If it is set to RGB or 4:4:4, then at 50 or 60hz it will only output in 8bit.

Have you tried everything on the PS4 in auto mode? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Ok thanks for the info. I will double check the settings.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #795 of 923 Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let us know what you find and what you have everything set to if you can.

Stephen Hawking.
post #796 of 923 Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Will do. In the middle of adding atmos speakers but will check as soon as I can.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #797 of 923 Old 11-19-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quick question for who ever can answer. Im sure this has been covered in the forum already. Where can I get a new lamp, or just the bulb for this projector without breaking the bank? I have over 3000 hours on my lamp so far, after using it for family events and daily use. Sometimes the projector would run for up to 18 hours straight. Just so you know, its still plenty bright and still going strong. Sony has done a great job with this projector! what I did notice is that I do have to raise the color up to 60 to maintain the same "punchy" image as a new lamp. Any suggestions?
post #798 of 923 Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
Quick question for who ever can answer. Im sure this has been covered in the forum already. Where can I get a new lamp, or just the bulb for this projector without breaking the bank? I have over 3000 hours on my lamp so far, after using it for family events and daily use. Sometimes the projector would run for up to 18 hours straight. Just so you know, its still plenty bright and still going strong. Sony has done a great job with this projector! what I did notice is that I do have to raise the color up to 60 to maintain the same "punchy" image as a new lamp. Any suggestions?
Hi.
My opinion is that if it is still bright and punchy, then you could get away without one at this stage. The reason you have to increase the colour is because of the change in the light range and characteristics of the bulb. Essentially the colour temp changes as the bulb ages.

One way many save money with new bulbs is to buy a bare bulb and fit it into the current housing. This is not too difficult and just takes care and patience. Also never touch the bulb with your bare fingers as the oil from your skin scan cause overheating.

Sony bulbs are usually made by Philips and if you buy the same part number you should be okay. Just bear in mind that if the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.

Don't buy a bulb too early as they only have limited warranties.

HTH.
bdmckinl likes this.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 11-19-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #799 of 923 Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaNerd View Post
Just got this projector, PQ is awesome!

I was wondering, I know that it's using the 1.9:1 aspect ratio, but I figured that on 2.35:1 content, it would fill out horizontally. My wide screen monitors do that; I watched a movie and it just had black bars on the left/right and obviously top and bottom. It was quite noticeable in dark movies. First night with it, are there settings to fix this? Seems to be stuck in 16:9 width.

Thanks

Have you tried the 2.35 zoom setting?
post #800 of 923 Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:
Hi.
My opinion is that if it is still bright and punchy, then you could get away without one at this stage. The reason you have to increase the colour is because of the change in the light range and characteristics of the bulb. Essentially the colour temp changes as the bulb ages.

One way many save money with new bulbs is to buy a bare bulb and fit it into the current housing. This is not too difficult and just takes care and patience. Also never touch the bulb with your bare fingers as the oil from your skin scan cause overheating.

Sony bulbs are usually made by Philips and if you buy the same part number you should be okay. Just bear in mind that if the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.

Don't buy a bulb too early as they only have limited warranties. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

HTH.
thank you for the info. Guess I'll hold off on the lamp for now. Is there a site you can recommend for getting a genuine bulb for a good price? Thanks again.
post #801 of 923 Old 11-19-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thank you for the info. Guess I'll hold off on the lamp for now. Is there a site you can recommend for getting a genuine bulb for a good price? Thanks again.
Hi.
Sorry, the last time I bought a lamp was in 2016 for my then 90ES. That was a genuine one that came boxed from eBay. Great price and pics of the actual item.
I have since gone laser and so I haven't checked any bulb vendors for a while. Just find the part number on your current bulb and search for that, or indeed for the whole thing including housing. There are deals to be had, but just be wary of buying cheap unbranded bulbs.
Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #802 of 923 Old 11-20-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7024 Post(s)
Liked: 7049
Quote:
Hi.
Sorry, the last time I bought a lamp was in 2016 for my then 90ES. That was a genuine one that came boxed from eBay. Great price and pics of the actual item.
I have since gone laser and so I haven't checked any bulb vendors for a while. Just find the part number on your current bulb and search for that, or indeed for the whole thing including housing. There are deals to be had, but just be wary of buying cheap unbranded bulbs.
Cheers.
E Bay is the way......

Quote:
Another option is to start looking now, if you see a good deal buy one, then keep the old lamp as the spare....... You been using that puppy at 3000 hours, nothing wrong with that.
post #803 of 923 Old 11-20-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Any calibrators in the Long Island area for this projector? Please move this if I am in the wrong forum.. thanks

post #804 of 923 Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will do. In the middle of adding atmos speakers but will check as soon as I can.
Well, checked the settings, all set to auto, still no luck. The RBG option is greyed out and when I check output I see a message at the bottom that theres higher quality video available if I change the setting on display device. The PJ and receiver are set to enhanced. It's not the cables either as there's no issue with the Bluray player or the fire 4k.

Something interesting though, when I use the older 4k fire tv old box or a newer firestick its hit or miss.

Last edited by ragged; 11-24-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #805 of 923 Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, checked the settings, all set to auto, still no luck. The RBG option is greyed out and when I check output I see a message at the bottom that theres higher quality video available if I change the setting on display device. The PJ and receiver are set to enhanced. It's not the cables either as there's no issue with the Bluray player or the fire 4k.

Something interesting though, when I use the older 4k fire tv old box or a newer firestick its hit or miss.
I suppose the next thing to suggest is to take the AVR out of the loop and directly connect your sources to the PJ and see if that changes anything.

Stephen Hawking.
post #806 of 923 Old 11-24-2019, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I suppose the next thing to suggest is to take the AVR out of the loop and directly connect your sources to the PJ and see if that changes anything.
Well connecting directly to the PJ, I can now choose the RGB option and the message about changing display settings to get higher quality video is gone.

I don't get the problem when I use the dp-ub820 4k player which is connected to the avr, I can set the avr to enhanced mode so I'm thoroughly confused.
post #807 of 923 Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well connecting directly to the PJ, I can now choose the RGB option and the message about changing display settings to get higher quality video is gone.

I don't get the problem when I use the dp-ub820 4k player which is connected to the avr, I can set the avr to enhanced mode so I'm thoroughly confused.
It is indeed confusing.

Okay, with the UB820 connected normally via the AVR, put the 820 into 60hz mode by turning off the 24hz option and also make sure it is set to 12bit priority etc.

Then fire up a 4k HDR disc and check on the PJ info screen (and the Panny info screen) to see if HDR10 60hz 4:2:2 is being displayed. If it is, then that is working as it should and shows the AVR is passing the full 18Gbps. If not then you have some other anomaly possibly with the PS4 and other source devices or the AVR.

Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #808 of 923 Old 11-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

It is indeed confusing.

Okay, with the UB820 connected normally via the AVR, put the 820 into 60hz mode by turning off the 24hz option and also make sure it is set to 12bit priority etc.

Then fire up a 4k HDR disc and check on the PJ info screen (and the Panny info screen) to see if HDR10 60hz 4:2:2 is being displayed. If it is, then that is working as it should and shows the AVR is passing the full 18Gbps. If not then you have some other anomaly possibly with the PS4 and other source devices or the AVR.

Cheers.
Got it solved I think. I added a splitter/booster at the end of the cable to the PJ, which is a 25' cable and set the dip switches on the booster to avr mode. Now I get the RBG option on the PS4 and I can set the reciever to enhanced and get a picture.

If this pic shows the right signal info then I'm good to go? If so thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191125_183132_1574725992386.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2645656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191125_195112_1574729604467.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	2645676  

Last edited by ragged; 11-25-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #809 of 923 Old 11-26-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it solved I think. I added a splitter/booster at the end of the cable to the PJ, which is a 25' cable and set the dip switches on the booster to avr mode. Now I get the RBG option on the PS4 and I can set the reciever to enhanced and get a picture.

If this pic shows the right signal info then I'm good to go? If so thanks for the help!
Okay, so you didn't say you had a 25' cable as far as I recall. That is more than likely the culprit.

With the booster there it looks like you are getting 18Gbps as you are getting RGB @60hz which is a high bandwidth signal. It will only be 8bit colour however.

If you want HDR and 10/12bit colour, you will need to use a YUV/YCbCr signal forced to 4:2:2 chroma on your source if 'Auto' doesn't work.

Something I found on the Sony website may help you:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00171719

Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #810 of 923 Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
I’m looking for some calibrated picture settings to start with while I wait to have my projector calibrated. Can anyone help me out?

I have the 695ES and have posted my settings both before and after a calibration by Chad B. Not sure how well they would translate to the 295, but you can take a look and try them out if you like:

Before calibration:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58621202

After calibration:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58863574
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page