Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #901 of 918 Old 01-05-2020, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderde View Post
Interesting, the old cable which was actually only 35’ long not 40’ like I thought was passing 4K and HDR when looking at the menu when streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime. It just wouldn’t pass it using my Home Theater PC using Windows 10. Just wouldn’t lock in. It would also pass 4K and HDR from my Sony UB800 Blu-Ray player. Although HDR was an overly dark image. I play MKV 4K HDR movies on my HTPC that the UB800 won’t play the audio on. For some reason the Sony won’t play the audio on Dolby Atmos encoded 4K movies on its 4K player that are an MKV file.
Sorry, meant to ask this question before. I saw an image on this forum showing the software version of 2.1. Mine is 2.0. I couldn’t find any info with a search about the update. What’ does the update do, where to get it, (I’ve searched Sony’s site but couldn’t locate it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 918 Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7015 Post(s)
Liked: 7028
Quote:
The RUIPRO Fiber Optic HDMI cable (50’) took care of my problem with Win 10 HDR on my HTPC not locking in with my 295es projector. My original HDMI cable is 40’ long. The Optical cable is 10’ longer (Which I’ll be running today) but works very well with faster hand shakes, better color, and a sharper image. Very happy.

Optical Cable upside: Better Image than my 40’ standard cable, very light and thin and flexible for its length. Downside, Very expensive, at least the the the cable I purchased.
Its kind of amazing thru all the years since HDMI was released, people saying you had to update cables when you did not. Now-a-days that is just not the case, cables do matter.... Glad she is fixed !
rwestley and Archibald1 like this.
post #903 of 918 Old 01-06-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Its kind of amazing thru all the years since HDMI was released, people saying you had to update cables when you did not. Now-a-days that is just not the case, cables do matter.... Glad she is fixed !

This is what I was trying to get to lock-in. With the New Fiber Optic cable, success.

Well that didn’t work, couldn’t get my picture to upload from my iPad. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 918 Old 01-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I saw an image on this forum showing the software version of 2.1. Mine is 2.0. I couldn’t find any info with a search about the update. What’ does the update do, where to get it, (I’ve searched Sony’s site but couldn’t locate it).
Can anyone help me with this?
post #905 of 918 Old 01-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked: 10632
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Can anyone help me with this?
Often times projectors will come with a newer firmware that may not be released yet to the public. Sometimes it is never released. So if Sony does not have a public release, then you will not get it. But if your projector does not have any problem, then why would you even want it? In other words, don't try and fix something that is not broken.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #906 of 918 Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, is this cable likely to work with the 295es?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WXRNV7N7FN1NAM

Feeding from an Apple TV 4k via Integra RX5.3?

Thanks

No more training do you require, already know you that which you need.
post #907 of 918 Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Hi, is this cable likely to work with the 295es?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WXRNV7N7FN1NAM

Feeding from an Apple TV 4k via Integra RX5.3?

Thanks
Get this one in the length you need.
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Suppor...NrPXRydWU&th=1
rwestley likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-08-2020 at 08:42 AM.
post #908 of 918 Old 01-08-2020, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The only issue I have is that the 295ES is dim compared to my previous epson. I have gotten use to 2500 lumens
post #909 of 918 Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all, if I should start a new thread, let me know. I have a brand new 295es and when watching certain content, we see weird pink halos around bright objects. Usually in the sky. It was very apparent when watching episode 7 of the Mandolorian with the sky. Is there a way to fix this? It is a problem of content, screen, hardware?? What should I do? We are usually watching on an Apple TV and it’s in HDR mode.

Thanks
post #910 of 918 Old 01-09-2020, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by serff View Post
Hi all, if I should start a new thread, let me know. I have a brand new 295es and when watching certain content, we see weird pink halos around bright objects. Usually in the sky. It was very apparent when watching episode 7 of the Mandolorian with the sky. Is there a way to fix this? It is a problem of content, screen, hardware?? What should I do? We are usually watching on an Apple TV and it’s in HDR mode.

Thanks
I have read the Mandalorian is a dark master in HDR terms and the compression may have some affect as well.

Are your HDMI ports on the PJ set to enhanced format? This needs to be done to enable full 18Gbps HDMI bandwidth.

Also, try match frame rate on the apple tv.

Smooth gradation is something to try after the above options if necessary.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #911 of 918 Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serff View Post

Thanks
Do you ever see any of this when playing a 4K UHD? If not, then I doubt it is the projector.
post #912 of 918 Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for the help on the HDMI run.

I am planning on ceiling mounting this, ceiling is 8ft high, projector will be mounted as far back in my room as I can, but likely to be directly above our seats. Is the chief mount (https://www.amazon.com/Chief-RPAU-Un...4QRXQMHFT&th=1) the right mount for the job and will I need anything else?

Builders are putting fixings at the projector location so I'll be able to mount it securely to the ceiling joists.

Thanks

No more training do you require, already know you that which you need.
post #913 of 918 Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Is the chief mount ... the right mount for the job and will I need anything else?
I used these:
Chief CMA101
Chief RPA020

They fit the 295ES Perfectly. I was told those were made for this projector and I don't disagree!
post #914 of 918 Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
The only issue I have is that the 295ES is dim compared to my previous epson. I have gotten use to 2500 lumens
Try the setting on this link. A lot to read but worked for me especially in Cinema Film 2 settings for 4K with HDR. I also came from an EPSON. It won’t match the Epsons light output but works quite well. I set up the TV for SDR material, the Cinema Film 1 for HD and the Cinema 2 for 4K. Be sure to set color correction to ON and adjust the colors also. Make sure you have associated material playing while in each mode. Regular cable (in my case Dish Network) for TV, HD source at 1080P for Cinema 1 and 4K/HDR source for Cinema 2. I’m sure other people have other settings they’ve used but these worked well for me.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/son...tion-settings/

Last edited by anderde; 01-11-2020 at 08:25 AM.
post #915 of 918 Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To perfectly fit the boundaries of my screen, I'm about an inch short at max zoom on the top and bottom (zooming out to watch 2:35) To get it to fit, would I need to move the PJ forward or back a few inches? I have it ceiling mounted, but I have a little flexibility with moving my mount.
post #916 of 918 Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby2000 View Post
To perfectly fit the boundaries of my screen, I'm about an inch short at max zoom on the top and bottom (zooming out to watch 2:35) To get it to fit, would I need to move the PJ forward or back a few inches? I have it ceiling mounted, but I have a little flexibility with moving my mount.
Move it back a few inches.
orby2000 likes this.
post #917 of 918 Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Sorry, meant to ask this question before. I saw an image on this forum showing the software version of 2.1. Mine is 2.0. I couldn’t find any info with a search about the update. What’ does the update do, where to get it, (I’ve searched Sony’s site but couldn’t locate it).
Can you show me where you saw it? I'd like to reach out to Sony and see if they are willing to provide it.
post #918 of 918 Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
Can you show me where you saw it? I'd like to reach out to Sony and see if they are willing to provide it.
Post 888 of this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page