Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280Likes

post #931 of 956 Old 01-24-2020, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2398 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
Decided on the JVC - RS2000 today. Cait wait. Thx for everyone’s input.
Good choice. Did you find one below your $4500 ceiling or have you decided to just stump up the extra for the 7/2000?

Let us know your thoughts on the JVC thread once you have it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 956 Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7134 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
You said it...only Sony or JVC for native 4K , so I am going to stick with 1 of those 2 for my next projector. mount sounds like a new plate will be needed. Hopefully an easy fix.
It will be very interesting to see what Sony does at CEDIA 2020.
Brian Hampton and Archibald1 like this.
post #933 of 956 Old 01-27-2020, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am happy with my new 295 but have a couple of questions I could use help with...

- I used a feature on my Denon receiver to pop up a status of sound mode and chose an alternative but these pop-ups which worked well on my previous Epson do not work on the Sony. Ideas?

- I find the level of detail in the picture exceptionally good with 4K and high quality sources but less impressive than my previous Epson 5040 with lower quality input. Am I observing a feature of my old projector or a lack of tuning with my new?

UPDATE - the pop-up issue appears to be a user problem and I have corrected it (remote and AVR settings).

Last edited by cdelena; 01-31-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 956 Old 01-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone care to weigh in?

After agonizing over which projector to buy and lurking on this thread since its inception, I've finally bought the 295. Now I need to find a suitable screen that doesn't destroy my budget. My room is in the basement with three windows facing north and is under a deck (so shaded), and I have black-out shades so ambient light won't really be a problem. The long wall is 16' 11". According to the Projector Central calculator, I need a throw distance of 15'3" for a 108" diag screen. The projector is 18.25" long. This means that the pj will be 1.75" away from the back wall, which should be fine since it doesn't appear there are any vents in the back.I'll be hanging it from the ceiling.

I think I've settled on the EluneVision 108" [16:9] Reference Studio 4k fixed with a 1.0 gain. https://www.projectorscreen.com/stor...or-Screen.html

It seems like good value for money. I would appreciate any input anyone might have, especially if you've had a EluneVision screen. BTW, we will be watching 3D from time to time. I wish I could afford a Stewart screen like I used to have.

Lastly, it'll be a couple of months before the room is ready. I think I should take the 295 out of the box and make sure it's working properly. Any tips on what I should do?

Thank you all for the many insights you've provided me through your discussions here.
post #935 of 956 Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, it’s been a long time since I have been here. I am in need of everyone’s wisdom once again. From what I can tell, this projector is a great choice if I am looking to be able to play games(Xbox, PlayStation) in true 4K and 60fps without spending a fortune(I wouldn’t want to go higher than 5K). If I am in the wrong there, please let me know. Here is my current setup:

Pioneer Elite SC-35 Receiver
Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector
Definitive Technology BP-8040 Front Towers
Definitive Technology Mythos Three Center
Definitive Technology Gem XL Surrounds and Rear Surrounds
Klipsch Reference Sub

Here’s the problem. That super-expensive SC-35 is useless if I want to do the 4K/60fps gaming. So if I am going to go with the 295, I need some suggestions on a new receiver to get. I learned my lesson with the SC-35, I am NOT going to spend another 1.5K on a receiver for it to be way out of date a couple years down the line. I would rather get something cheaper and expect to have to upgrade it every once in a while. Anyway, suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.
post #936 of 956 Old 01-31-2020, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Haacksta
Marantz SR5014
https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...oductId=SR5014
Have you considered this receiver?
Perhaps it will suit you
post #937 of 956 Old 01-31-2020, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnieto View Post
Anyone care to weigh in?

. I would appreciate any input anyone might have, especially if you've had a EluneVision screen. .
Hi,... I just have 1 bit to consider. I have a 285 and always ran a 16/9 screen until someone on this forum one day was getting rid of a 2.40/1 screen.

I started using it and then put some curtains so it's very easy to make it into a 16/9 screen so my kids don't have to think about Aspect Ratios and stuff to watch things.

When I want to watch a movie shaped movie like Jaws, all I do is open curtains and zoom to fit and it's so worth it.

When I had 16/9 I tried several masking systems but having just some simple Walmart black curtains to slide back is by far the easiest.

All this doesn't matter if you are width limited but if not I personally would consider a 2.40/1 screen. The 285 doesn't have lens memory and I don't think the 295 does either but it's still easy and worth it. (my opinion )

-Brian
mnieto and Archibald1 like this.
post #938 of 956 Old 02-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,... I just have 1 bit to consider. I have a 285 and always ran a 16/9 screen until someone on this forum one day was getting rid of a 2.40/1 screen.

I started using it and then put some curtains so it's very easy to make it into a 16/9 screen so my kids don't have to think about Aspect Ratios and stuff to watch things.

When I want to watch a movie shaped movie like Jaws, all I do is open curtains and zoom to fit and it's so worth it.

When I had 16/9 I tried several masking systems but having just some simple Walmart black curtains to slide back is by far the easiest.

All this doesn't matter if you are width limited but if not I personally would consider a 2.40/1 screen. The 285 doesn't have lens memory and I don't think the 295 does either but it's still easy and worth it. (my opinion )

-Brian
Thank you Brian! That's great advise. Anyone else want to help a dude out and chime in?
post #939 of 956 Old 02-02-2020, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel41 View Post
Haacksta
Marantz SR5014
https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...oductId=SR5014
Have you considered this receiver?
Perhaps it will suit you
I ended up finding an amazing open box deal at Best Buy Magnolia on an RX-A1080 Yamaha for $600.
post #940 of 956 Old 02-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone using this PJ with YouTubeTV? Trying to get a calibration setting that works with sports. Been messing around with the settings but not having any luck, it's still blurry on games.
post #941 of 956 Old 02-03-2020, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Team.

Just wondering if that bottom left portion on the pic is because of the 295ES not properly mounted or is it a convergence issue. The entire TOP portion of the screen looks good is just that bottom part.

Thanks.
-JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7487 copy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	680.7 KB
ID:	2679924  
post #942 of 956 Old 02-03-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Anyone care to weigh in?

After agonizing over which projector to buy and lurking on this thread since its inception, I've finally bought the 295. Now I need to find a suitable screen that doesn't destroy my budget. My room is in the basement with three windows facing north and is under a deck (so shaded), and I have black-out shades so ambient light won't really be a problem. The long wall is 16' 11". According to the Projector Central calculator, I need a throw distance of 15'3" for a 108" diag screen. The projector is 18.25" long. This means that the pj will be 1.75" away from the back wall, which should be fine since it doesn't appear there are any vents in the back.I'll be hanging it from the ceiling.

I think I've settled on the EluneVision 108" [16:9] Reference Studio 4k fixed with a 1.0 gain. https://www.projectorscreen.com/stor...or-Screen.html

It seems like good value for money. I would appreciate any input anyone might have, especially if you've had a EluneVision screen. BTW, we will be watching 3D from time to time. I wish I could afford a Stewart screen like I used to have.

Lastly, it'll be a couple of months before the room is ready. I think I should take the 295 out of the box and make sure it's working properly. Any tips on what I should do?

Thank you all for the many insights you've provided me through your discussions here.
I have a Stewart Cima Neve 115” 2.35:1 screen and absolutely love it!

Mod edit: Per forum rules, please leave street pricing out of posts in the tech forum

Last edited by rboster; 02-05-2020 at 01:07 PM.
post #943 of 956 Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hey Guys - Just got my 295es! Really loving it.

One quick question on setup - when using the lens shift and zoom to fill the screen, there are several lines available, which I understand corresponds to the aspect ratio of the screen.

ANYWAYS - my screen is 16x9 so I lined it up correctly, but there are lines overhanging the screen. I haven't noticed this in a movie, but if you look at the 2nd image of my PC - it uses the entire screen even outside of the 16x9 area. Is is there setting to tell the projector I have a 16x9 screen?

Thanks!

post #944 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone care to weigh in?

The lamp based Sony's exhaust from the front left and right and intake from around the lens and the rear, so there are vents there, yes.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #945 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helander View Post

One quick question on setup - when using the lens shift and zoom to fill the screen, there are several lines available, which I understand corresponds to the aspect ratio of the screen.

ANYWAYS - my screen is 16x9 so I lined it up correctly, but there are lines overhanging the screen. I haven't noticed this in a movie, but if you look at the 2nd image of my PC - it uses the entire screen even outside of the 16x9 area. Is is there setting to tell the projector I have a 16x9 screen?

Thanks!
Hi.

Line the image up as per the attached picture for your 16:9 screen and set your PC to 3840x2160.

If you use 4096x2160 for the PC you will always get that overspill unless using a 17:9 screen.

Also, FYI, 3840x2160 gives all motionflow options etc, whereas 4096x2160 only gives impulse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture alignment pattern 16_9.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2681080  

Stephen Hawking.
post #946 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you Brian! That's great advise. Anyone else want to help a dude out and chime in?

I'm also considering aspect ratios and have concluded it's mostly a toss up. I watch entirely mixed content ranging from standard 16:9 to 2.35 movies and the odd 1.85-2.0ish formats that seem to be getting popular on streaming services. It's really a matter of where you prefer your letterboxing. I think I'm going to go with a 2.35 because much of the 16:9 content I watch is TV, so the "smaller" letterboxed 16:9 image may be a bit more crisp. In addition, it seems likely I'll watch most of my 16:9 TV on an adjacent upstairs set reserving the 295 for "movies."

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #947 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone have a preferred mount?

I was all set to go with the universal Chief Mount, but then I found this mount on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-LLC-Projector-Compatible-VPL-VW270ES/dp/B07H7PT633

I don't really care that it's cheaper (though that is nice), it just looks WAY simpler than the chief. I'm a projector noob so simplicity is appreciated. I called Sony and they no longer have a "recommended" mount. Any thoughts?

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #948 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13152 Post(s)
Liked: 10790
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Anyone care to weigh in?

You do not need 15'-3" of throw for a 108" diagonal 16:9 screen. The throw range for that size screen is 11'-5" to 23'-4". What is your viewing distance? As for checking the projector. Set on a table or bench 8' to 15' from a wall. Connect a source to the projector. Turn on projector and adjust image size and focus. Watch some content and see if you see any issues.
post #949 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.

Line the image up as per the attached picture for your 16:9 screen and set your PC to 3840x2160.

If you use 4096x2160 for the PC you will always get that overspill unless using a 17:9 screen.

Also, FYI, 3840x2160 gives all motionflow options etc, whereas 4096x2160 only gives impulse.

Perfect.

As far as for movies. Last night I noticed when the projector was on but not displaying anything - i still see a bit of light both left and right of the screen, as in the other photos. Is there just no way to completely eliminate that overspill without a larger screen border?

It's not dramatic and i'm probably the only one to notice it - but i do notice it. Never really had that issue with my UHD65, and this is only my 2nd projector so i'm still quite new to this.

THanks!
post #950 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perfect.

As far as for movies. Last night I noticed when the projector was on but not displaying anything - i still see a bit of light both left and right of the screen, as in the other photos. Is there just no way to completely eliminate that overspill without a larger screen border?

It's not dramatic and i'm probably the only one to notice it - but i do notice it. Never really had that issue with my UHD65, and this is only my 2nd projector so i'm still quite new to this.

THanks!
The panels on these are 17:9 and when no video signal is being received the light inside it still comes out of the lens a little. It is coming from the full panel width and thus without bigger borders there really is nothing to be done about it.
It is totally normal.
As to the UHD65, that isn't native UHD, let alone 4K DCI like the Sony and thus you wouldn't get this effect, as it was jiggle 4k on a 16:9 panel.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 02-11-2020 at 03:11 AM.
post #951 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
The panels on these are 17:9 and when no video signal is being received the light inside it still comes out of the lens a little. It is coming from the full panel width and thus without bigger borders there really is nothing to be fine about it.
It is totally normal.
As to the UHD65, that isn't native UHD, let alone 4K DCI like the Sony and thus you wouldn't get this effect, as it was jiggle 4k on a 16:9 panel.
Ok - Makes sense - So that's just the way it is. Thank you!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #952 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:

Thanks!

You can turn blanking on and then adjust the blanking for top, bottom, left and right independently to get everything to fit on screen perfectly.
post #953 of 956 Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One more thing I have noticed is that your image does not seem in any way square on your screen.

Make sure your PJ lens is parallel to the screen and it is level on both axes to start.

Then line up the upper line of the zoom pattern with the top inner edge of your screen border and then zoom so the left and right sides are about 1cm equally inside the border of your screen and then take your time to get all sides square to the border.

Once done, use the PJ controls to zoom the pattern to the point shown on my last diagram (16:9) and then use the lens shift to fine tune the top and bottom of the pattern.

Hope that makes sense.
Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #954 of 956 Old 02-10-2020, 02:43 PM

Thanks guys - I got it straightened out and some how totally missed the blanking in the manual.
m0j0 and Archibald1 like this.
post #955 of 956 Old 02-10-2020, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad65 View Post
Anyone have a preferred mount?

I was all set to go with the universal Chief Mount, but then I found this mount on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-LLC-Projector-Compatible-VPL-VW270ES/dp/B07H7PT633

I don't really care that it's cheaper (though that is nice), it just looks WAY simpler than the chief. I'm a projector noob so simplicity is appreciated. I called Sony and they no longer have a "recommended" mount. Any thoughts?
https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Cei...1378542&sr=8-2

This is also a solid choice.
post #956 of 956 Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Screen recommendation 140inch

Probably 16/9
Might goto 150'

Space will be dark
Light control.

Open to ideas on placement of the projector.

White
Grey
Alr
What gain.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page