Official Sony VPL-VW295ES Owners Thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 299Likes

post #1021 of 1049 Old 04-25-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastodavid View Post
Cool! thanks for the reply. thats my plan. I want the extra housing. if i buy the OME bulb from the aliexpress link, and also buy the housing/bulb from amazon, even if the amazon lamp is subpar, I can still install the ome bulb on that housing.
The Amazon claims that the lamp is an original Phillips with a non OEM housing which should work fine with both lamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1049 Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7475 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJH View Post
Thanks rwestley.

My initial plan was to go with the 77" LG OLED C9, but the home theater rep convinced me on going with a projector and large screen for a better home theater experience. I really like the size of the image, but I doubt I will ever be happy with projector blacks, so I may return the projector hardware and go back to the C9.
Did you go back to OLED?

---I find, The # 1 reason for buyers remorse is not picture quality, it is size, HOWEVER everyone is different. We all know the answer to this most
important question if you soul search, "Am I a quantity kind of guy or a quality kinda guy?" This is the only condition that overrides the size. From your past
buying experiences throughout life you have chosen one way or the other, do not stop now...lol. If you are a quality kinda guy buy the better set,
if you are a quantity kinda guy buy the bigger set.
post #1023 of 1049 Old 04-25-2020, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Did you go back to OLED?

---I find, The # 1 reason for buyers remorse is not picture quality, it is size, HOWEVER everyone is different. We all know the answer to this most
important question if you soul search, "Am I a quantity kind of guy or a quality kinda guy?" This is the only condition that overrides the size. From your past
buying experiences throughout life you have chosen one way or the other, do not stop now...lol. If you are a quality kinda guy buy the better set,
if you are a quantity kinda guy buy the bigger set.
I returned the projector hardware and went with the 77" LG OLED C9. This TV has a great picture.

The projector and 110" screen may have been acceptable if I was willing to turn my home theater room into a bat cave, but the 77" LG looks fantastic from 8.5' away.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How do you clean the dust?

Hi,

I've had this projector for over a year now, and while I love it to death, its fan has started to develop some noise and I think I need to clean it and its cooling fins. How do I do that?! My previous Panansonic projector had a clear, closed cooling air path with a filter in front which I could clean or change. The Sony seems wide open, no protection inside whatsoever... Any hints? Maybe a service manual?!

Thanks!

Last edited by CataR; 05-07-2020 at 04:29 AM.
post #1025 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataR View Post
Hi,

I've had this projector for over a year now, and while I love it to death, its fan has started to develop some noise and I think I need to clean it and its cooling fins. How do I do that?! My previous Panansonic projector had a clear, closed cooling air path with a filter in front which I could clean or change. The Sony seems wide open, no protection inside whatsoever... Any hints? Maybe a service manual?!

Thanks!
First thing I would do is to cover the lens with its cap and use a vacuum on a high setting to suck out dust from the intakes and exhausts. Try to avoid compressed air as it can force dust further inside.

If you can get the lid off the main fans should be fairly easy to give a quick hoover to.

Just be careful if you decide to open her up.
rwestley likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #1026 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you read and post in the regular 295 thread on the forum. There is all kinds of information will help you. If you have any other questions it is best to post there.

I would suggest that you set up different profiles for SD & HDR since the 295 can not automatically switch since it does not Digital Tone Mapping.

If you have a basic calibration disk use it for SD.
I'm a little confused; Is this not the regular 295 forum? Also, my 295 switches to HDR automatically so what do you mean by different profiles? Thank you.
post #1027 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
I'm a little confused; Is this not the regular 295 forum? Also, my 295 switches to HDR automatically so what do you mean by different profiles? Thank you.
Unlike the JVC the profiles do not switch. You may see HDR output but they SD and HD has to been set up in different profiles for the best picture on sony projectors. You can use the posted German curves for the HDR profile if you like since the Sony's do not have digital tone mapping yet.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1028 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Unlike the JVC the profiles do not switch. You may see HDR output but they SD and HD has to been set up in different profiles for the best picture on sony projectors. You can use the posted German curves for the HDR profile if you like since the Sony's do not have digital tone mapping yet.
Ok, I got you. I started with separate profiles when I first got the projector then settled on using one profile that was a happy medium between SD and HDR. Thanks!
post #1029 of 1049 Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
Ok, I got you. I started with separate profiles when I first got the projector then settled on using one profile that was a happy medium between SD and HDR. Thanks!
You would be much better off with separate profiles especially for HDR sources. A medium setting does not really work.
post #1030 of 1049 Old 05-09-2020, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
First thing I would do is to cover the lens with its cap and use a vacuum on a high setting to suck out dust from the intakes and exhausts. Try to avoid compressed air as it can force dust further inside.

If you can get the lid off the main fans should be fairly easy to give a quick hoover to.

Just be careful if you decide to open her up.
Tried vacuuming already but it just doesn't reach inside - just the ventilation grills.

I would open her up but I have no idea how. How to get my hands on a service manual?
post #1031 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am going to be getting my first projector and home theatre room. I really want to stick with Sony and was leaning towards the 295ES, but sounds like this projector might not be well suited for a 2.35:1 screen because it doesn't have lens memory. I'm still debating doing a 138" 2.35:1 screen or 120" 16:9 screen. It also sounds like this projector doesn't have Picture mode memory so if you are switching between SDR and HDR content a lot, you would have to keep manually changing the settings. I read that to get a good HDR picture, you needed to change some settings to achieve the best picture. Again, I really want to get this projector because I really like Sony (having four of their TVs), but just looking for guidance on what everyone thinks of it. I am debating between this model, JVC NX5, or maybe going the Epson route with a 5040UB or 5050UB refurbished. I know the 5040 will have some HDR limitations, but their refurbished units aren't breaking the bank. I also could maybe stretch to the 695ES, but really don't know if I want to do that right now, especially with this being my first time using a projector. I can provide my situation details below:

- 17 and 11 feet viewing distances
- all blacked out room, black walls, black ceiling, etc.
- Room size is 18.5 feet long x 14.25 feet wide x 7.5 feet high
- I am leaning towards 138" 2.35':1 screen or 120" 16:9 screen. If I am doing my math correct, it looks like doing a 138" 2.35:1 screen could give me almost the same viewing experience with 16:9 content on a 120" 16:9 screen so would be better off going with a 2.35 screen and a projector with memory lens
post #1032 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 10:07 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0221 View Post
I really want to stick with Sony and was leaning towards the 295ES, but sounds like this projector might not be well suited for a 2.35:1 screen because it doesn't have lens memory.
If you want a 2.35:1 screen, then definitely get a projector with lens memory, regardless of the brand/model you decide on. Manually adjusting the zoom/shift/etc. is going to get old FAST.

As an aside, be careful on getting a screen that is too large. You want a bright image for HDR, and a huge screen will by necessity result in a dimmer image, all else being the same. The 295ES is rated 1500 lumens, so I personally would keep the screen at or below 120" (assuming the usual 1.3 gain).
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1033 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
If you want a 2.35:1 screen, then definitely get a projector with lens memory, regardless of the brand/model you decide on. Manually adjusting the zoom/shift/etc. is going to get old FAST.

As an aside, be careful on getting a screen that is too large. You want a bright image for HDR, and a huge screen will by necessity result in a dimmer image, all else being the same. The 295ES is rated 1500 lumens, so I personally would keep the screen at or below 120" (assuming the usual 1.3 gain).
Thanks for your input. It will be an all blacked out room so should help with a darker image. If I go with a 138" 2.35:1 screen, any projector you would recommend? I think a 5040UB or 5050UB might be a good choice. I could maybe do the JVC NX5 or 695ES, but these refurbished Epson's might be worth taking a look at just to try out for now and maybe in a year or two look into going to these really expensive models.

I am looking at the Silver Ticket white screen which is advertised as a 1.1 gain. I just can't spend a ton of money on a projector screen right now. I looked at Screen Innovations, but that is way over my budget I want to spend on a screen right now. Maybe down the road, but for now I want to focus on getting a good projector and a decent screen.
post #1034 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 10:37 AM
DAK

Quote:
Thanks for your input. It will be an all blacked out room so should help with a darker image. If I go with a 138" 2.35:1 screen, any projector you would recommend? I think a 5040UB or 5050UB might be a good choice. I could maybe do the JVC NX5 or 695ES, but these refurbished Epson's might be worth taking a look at just to try out for now and maybe in a year or two look into going to these really expensive models.

I am looking at the Silver Ticket white screen which is advertised as a 1.1 gain. I just can't spend a ton of money on a projector screen right now. I looked at Screen Innovations, but that is way over my budget I want to spend on a screen right now. Maybe down the road, but for now I want to focus on getting a good projector and a decent screen.
I wouldn't go for a screen that large, but if you do, then look for a projector that can do 2000 lumens or so. A 695ES is 1800 lumens, and I wouldn't recommend a screen that large for that projector, much less a 295ES (I have a 695ES and a 120" Scope screen). This is due to HDR; for SDR stuff, it is fine.

Just my opinion, but if you want to optimize your cash outlay, get the best screen you possibly can now, and save a few bucks on the projector by getting a refurb/used or less high-end model, then get your dream projector later. The reason is you only need to buy the screen once. Get a Stewart Studiotek 130 and be done with it forever.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1035 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I am going to be getting my first projector and home theatre room. I really want to stick with Sony and was leaning towards the 295ES, but sounds like this projector might not be well suited for a 2.35:1 screen because it doesn't have lens memory. I'm still debating doing a 138" 2.35:1 screen or 120" 16:9 screen. It also sounds like this projector doesn't have Picture mode memory so if you are switching between SDR and HDR content a lot, you would have to keep manually changing the settings. I read that to get a good HDR picture, you needed to change some settings to achieve the best picture. Again, I really want to get this projector because I really like Sony (having four of their TVs), but just looking for guidance on what everyone thinks of it. I am debating between this model, JVC NX5, or maybe going the Epson route with a 5040UB or 5050UB refurbished. I know the 5040 will have some HDR limitations, but their refurbished units aren't breaking the bank. I also could maybe stretch to the 695ES, but really don't know if I want to do that right now, especially with this being my first time using a projector. I can provide my situation details below:

- 17 and 11 feet viewing distances
- all blacked out room, black walls, black ceiling, etc.
- Room size is 18.5 feet long x 14.25 feet wide x 7.5 feet high
- I am leaning towards 138" 2.35':1 screen or 120" 16:9 screen. If I am doing my math correct, it looks like doing a 138" 2.35:1 screen could give me almost the same viewing experience with 16:9 content on a 120" 16:9 screen so would be better off going with a 2.35 screen and a projector with memory lens
I have the 295es using a 120" 2.35:1 screen. This projector does keep you HDR and SDR settings in it's memory. When switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1 takes about 30 to 60 seconds. All you do is change form Cenima2 to REF and adjust the zoom. Not a big deal for me. I would not go with a Epson Pixel shift projector it will not be as good as the native 4K from the Sony IMHO. Good luck with what ever you decide.

-----------------------
My Listening Room

Last edited by CptSpig; 05-13-2020 at 08:25 AM.
post #1036 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
I have the 295es using a 120" 2.35:1 screen. This project does keep you HDR and SDR settings in it's memory. When switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1 takes about 30 to 60 seconds. All you do is change form Cenima2 to REF and adjust the zoom. Not a big deal for me. I would not go with a Epson Pixel shift projector it will not be as good as the native 4K from the Sony IMHO. Good luck with what ever you decide.
I watched a YouTube video of someone changing from 2.35:1 to 16:9 with manually doing it, but then going back to 2.35:1 and making it perfect and keep doing that just sounds annoying. It also looks like with doing it this way, you would have white from the screen and not actual black bars on the sides, right? Not sure how I would like that. I have seen people talking about magnetic strips they put to cover this which could be a cheap option.

Really shocked Sony does not include lens memory in this expensive of a projector. Good to know it keeps your HDR and SDR settings though.
post #1037 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
I wouldn't go for a screen that large, but if you do, then look for a projector that can do 2000 lumens or so. A 695ES is 1800 lumens, and I wouldn't recommend a screen that large for that projector, much less a 295ES (I have a 695ES and a 120" Scope screen). This is due to HDR; for SDR stuff, it is fine.

Just my opinion, but if you want to optimize your cash outlay, get the best screen you possibly can now, and save a few bucks on the projector by getting a refurb/used or less high-end model, then get your dream projector later. The reason is you only need to buy the screen once. Get a Stewart Studiotek 130 and be done with it forever.
I spoke to someone and they said get a Screen Innovations screen very similar to what you said, but it is very expensive. Do you really need that expensive of a screen compared to a Silver Ticket screen that is a fraction of the price?
post #1038 of 1049 Old 05-12-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I watched a YouTube video of someone changing from 2.35:1 to 16:9 with manually doing it, but then going back to 2.35:1 and making it perfect and keep doing that just sounds annoying. It also looks like with doing it this way, you would have white from the screen and not actual black bars on the sides, right? Not sure how I would like that. I have seen people talking about magnetic strips they put to cover this which could be a cheap option.

Really shocked Sony does not include lens memory in this expensive of a projector. Good to know it keeps your HDR and SDR settings though.
When I view 16:9 content on the 295es I have black bars on the sides not white.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #1039 of 1049 Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 AM
DAK

Quote:
I spoke to someone and they said get a Screen Innovations screen very similar to what you said, but it is very expensive. Do you really need that expensive of a screen compared to a Silver Ticket screen that is a fraction of the price?
Forget SI, I mean seriously... stick with Stewart. There's a reason pretty much every calibrator and projector shoot-out uses Stewart screens. But, no, you don't NEED a screen that's more expensive than a Silver Ticket. But you don't NEED a Corvette when a Chevy Malibu will get you there, either. Just remember, Stewart screens are built FOR YOU. They aren't mass produced to fit some stock dimension. You want a wacky 131" diagonal screen with 3.5" black borders? Sure, you got it. Try that with Silver Ticket. But yes, a Silver Ticket will work... Whatever you decide, I wouldn't pair a cheap screen with an expensive projector (you mentioned NX5/295ES/695ES/etc.). The screen is super important and needs to match the capabilities of the projector; after all, it's the main thing you're looking at.
post #1040 of 1049 Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have had both SI and Stewart screens they are both very good. I went from a Stewart to a SI pure white non acoustically treated screen. This is the best screen I have owned. Both these screens are made to order and are fairly expensive as far as screens are concerned. Cost is relative. Get a good screen it does make a big difference.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #1041 of 1049 Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
I have had both SI and Stewart screens they are both very good. I went from a Stewart to a SI pure white non acoustically treated screen. This is the best screen I have owned. Both these screens are made to order and are fairly expensive as far as screens are concerned. Cost is relative. Get a good screen it does make a big difference.
I think I am going to go with a ST130 over the Screen Innovations, but sounds like these two and Seymour are all pretty darn good screens. I originally was going in when I decide to make this theatre thinking a Silver Ticket screen would be fine and budgeted for that and now spending 5-6 times more on a screen is a tough pill to swallow, but sounds like it is worth it. Might just have to compromise on my projector now so trying to decide between a B stock from AVScience if I can get my hands on one, 295ES, or just going down the route of a used JVC or refurbished Epson.
post #1042 of 1049 Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[quote=brandon_k_w;57875098]A very annoying high pitched squeal comes from my unit. It happens intermittently, and squeals like this probably 30-40% of viewing time.

The arrow is where the measurement microphone was pointed as that is where the noise is coming from. You may need to turn the volume up some to hear it in the clip. This noise is excrutiatingly high pitch maybe 12000-15000khz, you may not be able to hear the high pitch in the clip if you're older. Is this perhaps a simple fix caused by a fan?

This is the only thing wrong with my unit and I hope it's not something that requires a complete swap because I finally have a unit with excellent focus uniformity, convergence, panel alignment, and color accuracy.

Was this ever resolved? Mine does this as well.
post #1043 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi. Just placed an order for the 295ES. Super excited. I’ll be using an a 100 inch Elite Screens Saker Tab tension AcousticPro UHD screen. My room is 16 feet long. According to projector central i need to mount the projector 14.2 ft from the screen. My question is, can I ceiling mount at 12 feet away. That is where the power outlet is. Will the projector allow me to use the zoom function to adjust the image. Or do I need to mount it 14 ft away.

MagMo
Sony 65 A1E OLED, LG 55 B6 OLED, Oppo UDP-205, Marantz AV-8802A, Marantz MM8077, Marantz MM7055, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Motif-X, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i, MartinLogan ElectroMotion FX2, MartinLogan Motion 2, MartinLogan Helos 12 (4 for Atmos).
post #1044 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post
Hi. Just placed an order for the 295ES. Super excited. I’ll be using an a 100 inch Elite Screens Saker Tab tension AcousticPro UHD screen. My room is 16 feet long. According to projector central i need to mount the projector 14.2 ft from the screen. My question is, can I ceiling mount at 12 feet away. That is where the power outlet is. Will the projector allow me to use the zoom function to adjust the image. Or do I need to mount it 14 ft away.
You didn't say what aspect ratio the screen is, e.g. 16:9 or 2.35, but the projector throw distance calculators suggest that 12' should be OK for either.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #1045 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM

You didn't say what aspect ratio the screen is, e.g. 16:9 or 2.35, but the projector throw distance calculators suggest that 12' should be OK for either.[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry. It’s a 16:9 screen. Thank you for the quick reply.

MagMo
Sony 65 A1E OLED, LG 55 B6 OLED, Oppo UDP-205, Marantz AV-8802A, Marantz MM8077, Marantz MM7055, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Motif-X, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i, MartinLogan ElectroMotion FX2, MartinLogan Motion 2, MartinLogan Helos 12 (4 for Atmos).
post #1046 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You didn't say what aspect ratio the screen is, e.g. 16:9 or 2.35, but the projector throw distance calculators suggest that 12' should be OK for either.
Oh sorry. It’s a 16:9 screen. Thank you for the quick reply.[/QUOTE]

It looks like anywhere between 10' 6" and 21' 7" should work in terms of filling the screen.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #1047 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
Quote:
Oh sorry. It’️s a 16:9 screen. Thank you for the quick reply.
It looks like anywhere between 10' 6" and 21' 7" should work in terms of filling the screen.[/QUOTE]

And the zoom function should be used to position the image into the screen, right.

MagMo
post #1048 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It looks like anywhere between 10' 6" and 21' 7" should work in terms of filling the screen.
And the zoom function should be used to position the image into the screen, right.[/QUOTE]

You will have the zoom as well as vertical and horizontal lens shift to size and position the image to fit the screen.

post #1049 of 1049 Old 05-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Thank you.
shs1234 likes this.

MagMo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page